Super Smash Bros. Melee GameCube

9.1

1. Jun 11, 2011
    This may be the most chaotic fighting game of all time, it's hard to see what's going on screen do all the crazy crap that's happening at all times, which makes it all the more fun, not only is it fun to play by yourself but if you get 4 friends together it's even more fun, plus it delivers several blasts from the past like the music, and references to classic games in the stages andThis may be the most chaotic fighting game of all time, it's hard to see what's going on screen do all the crazy crap that's happening at all times, which makes it all the more fun, not only is it fun to play by yourself but if you get 4 friends together it's even more fun, plus it delivers several blasts from the past like the music, and references to classic games in the stages and items, and the characters themselves, and it has tons of cool unlock-ables like characters, and tons of statues which are completely useless but I must have them all, while I do have my complaints like how hard it is to unlock some characters, annoying plat-forming sections in the adventure mode, and the controls are cluttered which really isn't the games fault, it's the controllers, but an option to customize the controls would have been, but in the end this is a fighting game that will have you entertained for many hours still today whether your new to fighting games or not trying to master everything, this is one of the best games on the GameCube, if your a Nintendo fan and have stuck with them throughout the years and haven't played this game you owe it to yourself to buy this game, this is highly recommended, especially for Nintendo fans. Expand
  2. Feb 5, 2016
    Even though the gameplay is super fast, Melee has like a whole load of adventure waiting for you to join in the fray and battle to the death! Even better... SUDDEN DEATH!
  3. Nov 7, 2011
    Super Smash Bros. Melee doubles everything that was amazing from the original. Double the characters, double the stages, double the replay value, and double the fun!
  4. Jul 3, 2016
    Best out of the super smash bros. series this game is so fun and very fun playing with other people. This game is just full of awesomeness. Controls feel great and the characters are cool and their powers as well. This game is perfect.
  5. Jan 1, 2017
    I'm not even gonna dance around it, I'm not going to give an intro that leads into my opinions, I'm just gonna lay it out there now, "Super Smash Bros. Melee" is MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE GAME OF ALL-TIME! There, I said it. No game has taken more hours out of my life than this masterpiece, and I'm perfectly fine with that. It's extremely fun, fast-paced, visually wonderful, filled with content,I'm not even gonna dance around it, I'm not going to give an intro that leads into my opinions, I'm just gonna lay it out there now, "Super Smash Bros. Melee" is MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE GAME OF ALL-TIME! There, I said it. No game has taken more hours out of my life than this masterpiece, and I'm perfectly fine with that. It's extremely fun, fast-paced, visually wonderful, filled with content, and surprisingly technical. There's a reason this game still has a passionate tournament scene 15 years later: because it's just that good! No two ways about it, "Super Smash Bros. Melee" is my favorite video game of all-time, and I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this game. Now, go play it, because I'm gonna go do that, too. Expand
  6. Apr 30, 2011
    Essential to any NGC or fighting game collection. Pros: Excellent multi-player mode; a stunning variety of characters, levels, and action; lots of unlockables. Cons: The single-player mode just isn't as multi-player.
  7. Jul 3, 2013
    One of the greatest game sever. It's essentially perfect except after one plays Brawl, the flaws in this game will be noticeable, other than that though, this is a legendary game. SO much fun, and better than the crappy Sony rip off.
  8. Jun 26, 2013
    This game is a prime example of doing a sequel right. Take all the elements of the first game, refine them to near perfection while adding lots of new stages, characters, trophies, gameplay modes and extras. Really, there's no flaw with this game. It's just an all around amazing fighting game that you shouldn't miss.
  9. Mar 9, 2013
    Super Smash Bros. Melee is like its predecessor only bigger and better. There is a huge selection of Nintendo Characters and areas and the graphics, for ngc standards, are pretty good.
  10. Nov 8, 2015
    This is one of my favourite games on the Nintendo GameCube, and the one I haven't played very much of but got back to it recently, Super Smash Bros. Melee is the Sequal to the Original Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. The graphics are beyond standards for a launch title, which is great. The character selection is okay. The stages are awesome. The music is great. Adventure Mode is funThis is one of my favourite games on the Nintendo GameCube, and the one I haven't played very much of but got back to it recently, Super Smash Bros. Melee is the Sequal to the Original Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. The graphics are beyond standards for a launch title, which is great. The character selection is okay. The stages are awesome. The music is great. Adventure Mode is fun as hell. The Intro...I freakin' love that. Super Smash Bros. Melee is one of the Games that are very hard to find for a great deal, sells for like $60-$70 USD Online. My older copy stopped working, but I was LUCKY enough to find one in perfect condition for JUST $50 USD. I recommend you go to every single Video Game Exchange Store in your local area before taking one step ahead to Amazon, eBay, etc. And if you find one for $50 or less, DEFINITELY pick it up ESPECIALLY if it's in great condition. You just can't leave it behind.

Ultimately to end this review, I love this game along with the 4 (5 if you count Project M.) and I highly recommend it.
  11. Apr 1, 2013
    Just for this game, i bought the gamecube back in 2002. Though it was relatively inexpensive, I loved that freakin thing. I still play this every now and then. Mortal Kombat wasn't that evolved at that time and this was my game. And I was 8 when I bought this game.
  12. Jan 6, 2016
    A fantastically fun game to play with friends. Super Smash Bros is a game of skill, luck, but most of all, a game of fun. This game remains enjoyable even to this day.
  13. Jan 17, 2012
    Beautiful game. One of the ultimate games to play when you had friends over back when you were like 14,13. I remember great memories with it. The epitome of brawlers.
  14. Jan 24, 2016
    This game is fun! I like it a lot more than I used to. The graphics are okay for the GameCube. The character selection is great. I like the Adventure mode but I liked SSE in Brawl better. And this game introduced A LOT of stuff to the series. Super Smash Bros Melee is a great SSB game and I would recommend it.
  15. Mar 3, 2012
    this game kept me busy for 8 years until the new one came out i probably put 1000+ hours into this game its so addicting all the characters that you know and love are in it i dont care its 2012 buy this game
  16. Dec 30, 2012
    Super Smash Bros. Melee is more fun, has more characters, and has more intuitive gameplay than its predecessor, increasing the replay value ad infinitum.
  17. Feb 5, 2014
    The best game on the GameCube hands down. It's better then Metroid Prime, it's better than Resident Evil 4, it is the best game on the GameCube. It is one of my all time favorite games. Everything about this game is great. If you have a GameCube and you don't have this game, you are missing out.
  18. Oct 4, 2014
    Aaaaahhhh... so much nostalgia. This game boasts an improved character roster from the original and in my opinion the best gameplay of the three Smash Bros. If you've never played this game and you have a Wii or old dusty GameCube you haven't touched in a year or two, then you NEED to go buy this and PLAY THE SH!T OUT OF IT. This is among the absolute best games that Nintendo has everAaaaahhhh... so much nostalgia. This game boasts an improved character roster from the original and in my opinion the best gameplay of the three Smash Bros. If you've never played this game and you have a Wii or old dusty GameCube you haven't touched in a year or two, then you NEED to go buy this and PLAY THE SH!T OUT OF IT. This is among the absolute best games that Nintendo has ever made, which really says a lot with things like the original Super Mario Bros. and Ocarina of Time. Expand
  19. Aug 22, 2016
    O melhor smash bros, gráficos lindos, muitos personagens, o jogo tem batalhas rapidas, nao encontrei bugs, o legal desse smash bros é que ele é disputado ate hoje
  20. May 26, 2014
    If you don't count Smash Bros. Brawl: Project M: this is the best game in the series. Mostly because of the better combat, less horrible characters (Meaning people are balanced in a good way) & less of a focus on "needing to smash, to kill" like Brawl had.
  21. Jan 11, 2013
    This game was impressively made in two years from the previous title, Super Smash Bros on the N64, in 1999 and this one 2001. There is many great aspects of this game, and few things I'd complain about, but the one thing that made me give this game a point less would be clones. The move sets for some of the characters seem too similar to others, which was a bit sloppy, considering maybe aThis game was impressively made in two years from the previous title, Super Smash Bros on the N64, in 1999 and this one 2001. There is many great aspects of this game, and few things I'd complain about, but the one thing that made me give this game a point less would be clones. The move sets for some of the characters seem too similar to others, which was a bit sloppy, considering maybe a quarter of the characters have this problem. Overall, 9/10 Expand
  22. Nov 2, 2014
    this game is not better than brawl i put alteast 100+ hours into it just last YEAR sience i got the game 350+ hours the game is simply perfect the only thing the game lacks is custom stages and characters
  23. Dec 9, 2014
    I've only played the game a few times but this is super enjoyable, especially when with 2 or more players. The Graphics are great for a 2001 game. The gameplay is great. This is a most own even though though its over 10 years old.
  24. Jan 30, 2017
    A game that will go down to be one of the most iconic, fun, and revolutionary games of all time. Simply a masterpiece and a game that will amaze anyone who enjoys playing video games.
  25. Jan 8, 2011
    Super Smash Bros Melee manages to equal the greatness of even games likeMetroid Prime. There are many great new characters all with unique moves, including Mewtwo and Mr Game and Watch, along with other great Nintendo classics. This game boasts that simplicity can be great. The event mode is a welcome addition, added to classic and adventure mode and slo the unlockable all star mode! YouSuper Smash Bros Melee manages to equal the greatness of even games likeMetroid Prime. There are many great new characters all with unique moves, including Mewtwo and Mr Game and Watch, along with other great Nintendo classics. This game boasts that simplicity can be great. The event mode is a welcome addition, added to classic and adventure mode and slo the unlockable all star mode! You never get tired of this game, one of the best games in history! Expand
  26. Sep 10, 2011
    One of the greatest Nintendo games, and one of the greatest fighting games ever made. Fantastic graphics for a launch title, great amounts of characters and trophies, and great gameplay and control.
  27. May 22, 2012
    Just as good as the first one but with more characters and possibilities. Is very funny and gives you lots of game play hours. There are also new game modes and they're welcome. On the other side, there is no innovation in the game mechanics.
  28. Mar 12, 2017
    Although I prefer Brawl, I cannot deny that Melee is one hell of a game and the best game on the gamecube, as well as the best fighting game of the sixth console generation. The combat is very quick, and there are many stages and characters to unlock. There are many game modes such as multi-man melee and the adventure mode, meaning you'll be spending a lot of time playing this game inAlthough I prefer Brawl, I cannot deny that Melee is one hell of a game and the best game on the gamecube, as well as the best fighting game of the sixth console generation. The combat is very quick, and there are many stages and characters to unlock. There are many game modes such as multi-man melee and the adventure mode, meaning you'll be spending a lot of time playing this game in single player mode too. This is definitely a must-have for all the gamecube owners. Expand
  29. Jun 28, 2011
    IK this is 2011 and im reviewing a gamecube but why not? So first off graphics are really good for the gamecube time, gameplay is great and action packed especially when playing with a buddy. Story doesnt really make sence but who cares, you can go wrong with all of nintendos best characters in one action packed game.
  30. Dec 9, 2011
    Such a fun, fast paced game. Good for just playing with friends, or on a competitive level. I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said a million times. If you want a fighter that will keep you learning new things and getting better for years, play this game.
  31. Aug 4, 2013
    Maybe the best game on the GameCube.
    Also, the reason my brother got our family one, when we were kids.

This game along with Mario Kart Double Dash, Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, are must haves for the system.

10 out of 10.
  32. Jan 3, 2014
    One of the best fighting games ever made. Nintendo used this game and picked up the original Super Smash off its feet. There are a lot of ways to kill your opponent, and the intensity is the fun part. There are many ways in the game to interact including a campaign, 4 player Co-op, personal missions, special melee (like super sudden death or super slow mo.), mini-games, and the tournamentOne of the best fighting games ever made. Nintendo used this game and picked up the original Super Smash off its feet. There are a lot of ways to kill your opponent, and the intensity is the fun part. There are many ways in the game to interact including a campaign, 4 player Co-op, personal missions, special melee (like super sudden death or super slow mo.), mini-games, and the tournament mode. These will keep you going for ages, and the fighting (what it mostly is) never gets dull. I always have the joy of going back to unlock new fighters and maps and collect trophies. This is a game for fighters to last throughout the ages! Expand
  33. Oct 19, 2013
    Super smash bros melee is an incredible game with tons of stuff to do It makes the original look thin Tons of unlockables. Even the single player it's deep and filled with stuff to do But the multiplayer is even more cuztomizable 26 characters and 29 stages I recommend you to buy it now
  34. Dec 4, 2014
    Not a bad game, but it's my least favorite smash, most likely because it's so overrated. It's impossible for just anyone to get in the game unless they can pull of complex "advanced techniques" that are really glitches used to cheat. Thanks, ratchet competitive community. 1/4 of the characters are clones, including Ganondorf being a clone of Captain Falcon (making a clone is worse thanNot a bad game, but it's my least favorite smash, most likely because it's so overrated. It's impossible for just anyone to get in the game unless they can pull of complex "advanced techniques" that are really glitches used to cheat. Thanks, ratchet competitive community. 1/4 of the characters are clones, including Ganondorf being a clone of Captain Falcon (making a clone is worse than keeping a clone). The game is terrible unbalanced, having one character that's far better than the rest (Fox). Items appear way too frequently on high settings, and despawn too quickly. The bottom screen hitboxes are too high, causing you to die before getting to optimal range to grab right on to the ledge, and the game is too fast. People praise Melee for being fast, but they shouldn't. You have barely any room for error unless you have the reflexes better than a cat. Adventure mode is another thing that's praised, but really, its nice going through the worlds of characters and all, but due to the lack of variety, it gets REALLY repetitive since you have to complete it with all the characters for all the trophies. The game is filled with game-breaking glitches such as the one that makes Master Hand playable and the "black hole" glitch. Quite possibly the worst of all, to take screenshots require way too many blocks on your memory card, and you need a controller in the 4th slot, that can't control a character, just to do so.
    It has good graphics for a Gamecube game at least.
    Just because Brawl patched the "advanced" exploits and is slower so anyone can enjoy it, the game gets so much hate just for those two things, when almost everything else in the game is an improvement from Melee.

6.5/10, but I can't give .5's.
  35. Mar 10, 2016
    As a competitive Smash player, I must say, Melee is definitely the game that keeps us all together, and the game that got Smash into the Esport scene. I love it not just for it's depth and complexity, but for it's community, it's history, and it's ever-growing tales of heroism, treachery, and electrifying match-ups.
  36. Mar 25, 2016
    You know that when a fighting game still has a huge competitive scene 15 years after its release, that the developers have done something right. Melee is second to no other Smash Bros game.
  37. May 24, 2015
    Although not as good as the first game, Melee is a great fighting game that challenges your reaction time. It has a very unbalanced roster, doesn't have the best single player, and the graphics weren't much, but you can forgive it through the unforgettable music and great roster. This game just about doubled the roster from the previous game and paved the way for modern Smash Bros.
  38. Oct 16, 2014
    I don´t what makes people think that Melee and Project M are a thousand times better.I think these people are so competitive in those games, that, when they went play Brawl, it seems horrible.IT´s NOT!!!
  39. Feb 2, 2013
    This game is ridiculously fun to play. Controls are very smooth and precise, making the gameplay fast and exciting. It adds a ton of content from the previous game, like trophies and more characters. Single player offers many more modes with an adventure mode, event, and all-star mode. Multiplayer is much more fun with a lot match customization options to play with your friends. I do haveThis game is ridiculously fun to play. Controls are very smooth and precise, making the gameplay fast and exciting. It adds a ton of content from the previous game, like trophies and more characters. Single player offers many more modes with an adventure mode, event, and all-star mode. Multiplayer is much more fun with a lot match customization options to play with your friends. I do have a few gripes with this game, however. The visuals are quite nice, but some of the detailing and scaling in some of the levels is a bit low quality, like how the F-Zero machines in Mute City and Big Blue look exactly like the machines in F-Zero X for the N64. I believe the camera mode was rather poorly done, because the controls are wonky as heck and you really can't access this in the middle of a match (which is what Brawl did and I am thankful for that improvement). I also thought the process of unlocking new characters could be a little tedious, such as having to play in hundreds of VS. matches to get someone like Mr. Game and Watch. Granted, the gameplay is fun so it does render this point pretty moot, but if you're not all that into this game, then you might feel bored by having to do this. Admist these minor problems, the game is still great. It's addicting, accessible, and intense. Great for both the hardcore gamer, but also good for casual gamers who want to try out a fighting game. Those that are scoring this game less than a 5 are simply trolling, or spewing ignorance because this game is too simple in its control scheme. I highly recommend this game for your Gamecube collection, even if you're not really into this sort of game. Expand
  40. Dec 30, 2012
    Easily the best game overtime.At some points I like certain games more but this is always going to be one of my favourites.Tenouttaten!Also has Marth and Roy.
  41. Jan 19, 2013
    One of the main reasons to own the Gamecube, Melee combines both casual and hardcore elements in its fighting that will inspire players to come back to it for a good time. Characters from many of Nintendo's franchises collide in this epic to help gamers settle age long disputes: "Who would win in a fight: Peach or Samus?"
  42. Mar 14, 2017
    Graphics - 9
    Music - 9
    Gameplay - 10
    Content - 8
    Personal Fun - 10
    Difficulty - 10 .
  43. May 16, 2013
    What I consider to be one of, if not THE greatest fighting game to ever grace not just the Gamecube, but the fighting genre as a whole. Super Smash Bros. Melee achieves something that all fighting games wish to achieve: lasting fun. This game has aged without a wrinkle in the past 12 years it's been out. Nintendo couldn't even beat their own lasting appeal of this game with Brawl (which IWhat I consider to be one of, if not THE greatest fighting game to ever grace not just the Gamecube, but the fighting genre as a whole. Super Smash Bros. Melee achieves something that all fighting games wish to achieve: lasting fun. This game has aged without a wrinkle in the past 12 years it's been out. Nintendo couldn't even beat their own lasting appeal of this game with Brawl (which I thought was a bit too slow). From the moment the amazing opening is played, to your very last GAME, this is a classic for the ages. Not only is the gameplay quick, but it's easy to pick up and play, and the intentionally made technical tricks in the game make it the most versatile fighting game to date. Your ability to gain more skill in this game is practically unlimited in this game. You aren't restricted with the movements of your character. You can reduce your recoil when you hit the ground, slide around the floor, and string combos around in the most creative ways if your good enough. The music is fantastic. Really legendary in the video game environment, right down to the announcer's voice when you begin and end a game. The Adventure mode is perhaps the perfect distraction in single player sector, but while memorable, it's more of an imperfection that we soon come to see improved in the next game. Event matches are a blast, and personally I find them a little more fun than Brawl's. It's creative how Nintendo can fit so many neat modes in this game. Their's slow melee, lighting melee, big, tiny, etc. The photo feature in the game is the most useless addition however, as you can't take pictures unless you choose the mode and plan something to happen. This is another feature that's fixed in the next generation. Still this is the most solid fighting game I have ever played and is a blast to play with friends and family alike. Also, I would like Nintendo to bring back the old handicap system. It's much more fun to gang up on someone with naturally more strength than you, instead of just some percentage starter. If you have a Gamecube, PLAY THIS GAME NOW! This is a gleaming emerald in the tropical sun, as far as fighting games go. Do yourself a favor and find some friends to play this tonight. Hopefully the next Smash game will be even better than this. Expand
  44. Mar 12, 2014
    Add a bunch more characters on one of the best, and of the few, gamecube games that were created. The list of characters is great. I remember getting this as a kid and playing with my brother and friends for hours. The graphics today are not bad and the game play additions and all the added items add to the mix of madness fun that you would expect from a sequel to the great N64 game.
  45. Apr 15, 2015
    This game is by far the best you'll find to date in the SMASH! series. It also has anything a fan of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Poke'mon, whatever, could ask for. Nobuyuki Hiyama as Link? Takashi Nagasako as Ganondorf? PICHU?? Chikorita? Japanese dub voices in options? Yes.
    All the returning characters are doubled-up upon without making them OP'd.
    This game is hard to find nowadays but
    All the returning characters are doubled-up upon without making them OP'd.
    This game is hard to find nowadays but definitely worth it. There is off course one little issue : Link (And Young Link)'s Up-smash's 3rd hit NEVER connects in HR-contest.
  46. Nov 21, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. Possibly the Gamecube's greatest title takes the Nintendo all-stars and pits them together. A very ambitious game that delivers on gameplay, content, and multiplayer.
  47. Dec 26, 2015
    This is one of my favourite games on the Nintendo GameCube, and the one I haven't played very much of but got back to it recently, Super Smash Bros. Melee is the Sequal to the Original Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. The graphics are beyond standards for a launch title, which is great. The character selection is okay. The stages are some of the best in the series IMO. The music isThis is one of my favourite games on the Nintendo GameCube, and the one I haven't played very much of but got back to it recently, Super Smash Bros. Melee is the Sequal to the Original Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. The graphics are beyond standards for a launch title, which is great. The character selection is okay. The stages are some of the best in the series IMO. The music is great. Adventure Mode is fun as hell. The Intro...I freakin' love that. Super Smash Bros. Melee is one of the Games that are very hard to find for a great deal, sells for like $60-$70 USD Online. My older copy stopped working, but I was LUCKY enough to find one in perfect condition for JUST $50 USD. I recommend you go to every single Video Game Exchange Store in your local area before taking one step ahead to Amazon, eBay, etc. And if you find one for $50 or less, DEFINITELY pick it up ESPECIALLY if it's in great condition. You just can't leave it behind.

This game is also played competively I think the most, to this day.
  48. Dec 5, 2015
    One of my favoroute games of all time. This game is a great party game that anybody can play........And then theres the deeper neverending, constintly evolving Metagame!
  49. Dec 3, 2014
    It's a fun game, and much better than the Nintendo 64 release. It isn't as good as some of the newer games, but it is definitely fun. The graphics aren't top-notch, and there are some exploits used widely by "hardcore players" but otherwise, it's great.
  50. Jan 8, 2016
    great game if your a fighting game fan id recommend this great physics interesting stages great cast of characters if you are competitive i wish you luck on journey
  51. Mar 22, 2017
    Tras el primer Super Smash Bros jamás pensé que un videojuego me iba a dar tantas tardes reunidas con mis amigos en mi casa, obra maestra de la consola GameCube que sin lugar a dudas se convierte en mi juego de ¨lucha¨ favorito, desde entonces el resto me ha sabido a poco.
  52. Sep 20, 2013
    This game is one of the best games ever made and my all time favourite Smash Bros game of all time!!! The game is highly addicting to play in with both single and multiplayer!!! The adventure mode is pretty fun and the mission mode for me was better than Brawl, but lacked in difficulty in mode. Characters are fun to play with once they are unlockable and have a good moveset.
  53. Jul 31, 2016
    This is likely the most solid installment in the Smash Bros series, as it has a good balance of expanding on the simple, arcade-like feeling of the N64 entry without losing that charm. The new additions to the rosters were generally good choices and the new stages were generally very well designed.

The single-player mode is one of the best things about the game, as all three variations were all very fun to take each character through.

The only big fault with this game is that there are some balancing issues and some of the characters don't seem to play as well as they should. However, this is overall the strongest entry in the series and is still fun to revisit years later.
  54. Sep 17, 2014
    A classic game that is arguably one of the Gamecube's best. The game came out over ten years ago, and it's aged beautifully, sporting fast-paced combat that is fun to pick up but difficult to master. This makes it great to play on both casual and competitive levels. It definitely has the smoothest gameplay of any release in the series. There is also a lot of content to unlock, andA classic game that is arguably one of the Gamecube's best. The game came out over ten years ago, and it's aged beautifully, sporting fast-paced combat that is fun to pick up but difficult to master. This makes it great to play on both casual and competitive levels. It definitely has the smoothest gameplay of any release in the series. There is also a lot of content to unlock, and distractions to indulge oneself which count towards the many hours of enjoyment to be found here. Expand
  55. Mar 7, 2017
    This is the best fighting game I've ever had the pleasure of playing. A fun party game for casual players, while also having hidden deep fighting mechanics that push the game to a new level.
  56. Nov 22, 2013
    There are only a limited number of games, few and far between, that stand the test of time. To say this title has stood the test of time would be an understatement. SSB is truly a masterpiece, and is often ranked and praised as the greatest game that was released for the Nintendo GameCube. If you could only own one game for this console, it would unquestionably be this title. The fun andThere are only a limited number of games, few and far between, that stand the test of time. To say this title has stood the test of time would be an understatement. SSB is truly a masterpiece, and is often ranked and praised as the greatest game that was released for the Nintendo GameCube. If you could only own one game for this console, it would unquestionably be this title. The fun and enjoyment factor is undeniably endless, which, consequently, results in a reply value so high that not even the human mind can fathom. I will release no spoilers, other than the known fact that there is an accumulated total of 25 playable characters, as well as 29 playable stages, none of which are even remotely similar to the other. As I conclude this review, let it be noted that, even with the dawning of the PS4 and Xbox One, SSB is still universally played to this very day, and will always be in contention for greatest game ever made. 10/10 Expand
  57. May 2, 2014
    This game was amazing. It's game-play was excessively fun, and really it is my favorite of the GameCube library. That I'd played. I haven't gotten around to Super Mario Sunshine yet. It's, in a nutshell, a large amount of why GameCube is my favorite Nintendo console.

It's so fun fighting against your friends as Nintendo characters. But I'm definitely going to discuss quality. The

The game-play is the most balanced in it's series, and it definitely was a huge add-on to the original. It did a lot to change the series. It also... Well... Hard to explain... Was perhaps the most fun I've ever had.

My personal rating out of 100: 95/100.
  58. Jun 28, 2016
    A spectacular game. Fun if you're just playing drunk with 3 other friends with items or if you're playing top 8 at the biggest tournament you can survive in. This game is fast, fun, and has withstood the test of time. There's not too much that even needs to be said about this game; the controls are tight, the gameplay is amazing, the hype is real.

If you're looking for a fighting game

If you're looking for a fighting game to sink a lot of time into, then look no further. This game will not bore you before it dies and it's not dying anytime soon.
  59. Mar 31, 2014
    this game is "good", it has alot of content, the gameplay is very fun and addictive, theres a good roster, but i think they need to make a one character per franchise rule, theres 4 mario characters, but one kirby character?, the programmers of the game program the kirby games, so what the heck?, also if your like me and your coming from capcom fighters like MvC2, this game is VERY hard tothis game is "good", it has alot of content, the gameplay is very fun and addictive, theres a good roster, but i think they need to make a one character per franchise rule, theres 4 mario characters, but one kirby character?, the programmers of the game program the kirby games, so what the heck?, also if your like me and your coming from capcom fighters like MvC2, this game is VERY hard to get use to, but still fun Expand
  60. Aug 8, 2015
    This gaem is stoopid. Its easily da worst supah smesh bras gaem EVAH! U should play gud gaems liek pokemanz red and blu not this shat. Graphics r bad, characters r stoopid, and its 2 hard 2 do Wombo combos. Evry1 knows dat brawl is 1958434474866x better than this shat.
  61. Mar 24, 2013
    SSBM Super Smash Bros. Melee? More like Super Smash Bros. Masterpiece. Also, this is by far the best fighting game i ever played in my life. I don't have a Nintendo Gamecube (yes, it's discontinued), but it will not stop me from playing. I have an emulator, and the game is still epic, as usual.
  62. Mar 15, 2017
    uno dei migliori giochi competitivi di sempre rispetto ai recenti smash questo era molto più veloce e dinamico fantastico per divertirsi e per sfidarsi con gli amici se ad oggi fose possibile giocare online ad un gioco cosi farei fatica a staccarmici
  63. Jan 26, 2014
    great game!
    fun by yourself on classic mode, adventure, all star, or even the cool special battle thingies, or with a bunch of friends in a tournament. Creative battle royale.
  64. Sep 10, 2014
    This game is extremely good. There are lots of Nintendo characters you can choose from to beat up using other Nintendo characters. Some of the music is really good and the intro is beautiful. There are a few flaws. The AI kind of sucks in this game. Also there were a couple a characters that were nearly identical to other characters. Some of them didn't even have games outside of Japan.This game is extremely good. There are lots of Nintendo characters you can choose from to beat up using other Nintendo characters. Some of the music is really good and the intro is beautiful. There are a few flaws. The AI kind of sucks in this game. Also there were a couple a characters that were nearly identical to other characters. Some of them didn't even have games outside of Japan. But that is just minor complaints and won't ruin much from your experience. If I were you, try to get this game ASAP. Expand
  65. Nov 23, 2014
    This is by far the greatest game Nintendo have ever made and my favourite video game of all time. I played for game for countless hours and never got bored of it. I have played Brawl, it is very good as well but it's a little bit disappointing compared to it's predecessor. No other video game will top a game for many years to come, not even FIFA or Call of Duty will be able to do that.
  66. Nov 27, 2014
    Now this game really had a big impact in my in my childhood. This game has astonishing game-play it is hard to explain. This is also a very good game for people starting to get into the fighting genre. Definitely a must try for people new to video games!
  67. Dec 31, 2014
    By far the best Smash bros game; no not even the best smash, the best fighting game of all time. this game is super easy to pick up and play as a casual player, and incredibly optimizable for competitive play including advanced techniques such as wavedashing and l-canceling. Anyone who is a nintendo fan, or a huge e-sport competitive gaming mark, or just a casual gamer. This game isBy far the best Smash bros game; no not even the best smash, the best fighting game of all time. this game is super easy to pick up and play as a casual player, and incredibly optimizable for competitive play including advanced techniques such as wavedashing and l-canceling. Anyone who is a nintendo fan, or a huge e-sport competitive gaming mark, or just a casual gamer. This game is perfect for all 3 of you. this game sports a huge collection of trophies, characters and stages to unlock to keep you playing, and the single player experience has a few secret bosses for you to find and challenge yourself.

Conclusion: Masterpiece. i recommend this to anyone who loves nintendo, and anyone interested in competitive gaming. its great for everyone.
  68. Jan 24, 2011
    Just a terrific party game overall. Classic, Adventure, and All-Star mode offer a lot of depth as do the event matches. I had a terrific time unlocking all of the hidden characters and stages. Once you unlock everything, the fun really starts to kick in with multiplayer.

If you have a few people to play this with, I highly recommend playing it.
  69. Oct 3, 2011
    This game is simply and effortlessly amazing, best 2d game of the 2000's I say! It is simply addictive, I played it when it first came out, and still play it!
  70. Sep 12, 2015
    The is by far my favorite fighting game of all time (aside from perhaps Project M). The visuals still hold up to this day, it still looks and sounds beautiful. The game mechanics are excellent and incredibly fun to play with. There is certainly a lot of depth in the gameplay and it is best played 1v1 with no items, (even if played casually in my opinion) although this game is very, veryThe is by far my favorite fighting game of all time (aside from perhaps Project M). The visuals still hold up to this day, it still looks and sounds beautiful. The game mechanics are excellent and incredibly fun to play with. There is certainly a lot of depth in the gameplay and it is best played 1v1 with no items, (even if played casually in my opinion) although this game is very, very fun with up to 4 people as well. Expand
  71. Sep 17, 2016
    This game is a masterpiece. The best thing I ever did was to get into competitive melee. Everymatch is different and the gameplay never gets old. This game is getting more and more popular as time goes on and theres a good reason for it. If you don't have a copy of it I 100% recommend it. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!
  72. Sep 7, 2013
    Not much to say. You can play this game for years and it won't get old (multiplayer, that is). And there's always a way to improve your skills or learn a new combo your friends didn't expect.
  73. Jul 26, 2014
    I only put this down because of the HORRIBLE AI. Its one of the worst in a fighting game ever. Other than that, this was a wonderfully crafted game and deserves to be called the best Super Smash Bros. game ever. If you have a GameCube and don't have Melee, your missing out.
  74. Jun 8, 2015
    Super Smash Bros. Melee is one of the best games for any Nintendo franchises. This game brings together many of Nintendo's favorite characters for a great competitive and party style game. Overall, it is a classic game that many still enjoy.
  75. Nov 8, 2015
    I found this game in my loft and thought i'd give it ago not expecting much, 5 hours later, i realised that this game just worked its way into my top 5 games of all time. It becomes more and more addictive every time you play it, with unique attacks to every (i don't know the correct term) champion. There is not a game i would recommend more as it has aspects that a re realatable to loadsI found this game in my loft and thought i'd give it ago not expecting much, 5 hours later, i realised that this game just worked its way into my top 5 games of all time. It becomes more and more addictive every time you play it, with unique attacks to every (i don't know the correct term) champion. There is not a game i would recommend more as it has aspects that a re realatable to loads of different audiences Expand
  76. Sep 10, 2015
    quality game. better than its sequels by far. its pretty lame that you can't use the c-stick in single player modes but the game is so good that I have no choice but to give it a perfect score.
  77. Mar 7, 2017
    Its a clone to say the least. It just copied the mechanics from other fighters. The graphics from Brawl are better. My friend is wrong when says this game great. When Nintendo sends there Super Smash games, they're not sending their finest. Some, I assume are good ones (Atleast Brawl had a story). 0/10 atleast Rambo had a story.
  78. Jun 9, 2011
    This game is amazing. When I first bought it I played for 16 hours hours straight. I like it because it has all of my favorite nintendo characters in it.
  79. Sep 10, 2014
    This game is just fun as heck. A truly amazing game that stands the test of time. It's over TEN years old and it's still phenomenal and I still have a blast playing it.
  80. Sep 29, 2014
    Better than brawl played competitively to this day. Amazing roster great stages fun event matches great engine. Please play Brawl then this you can never go back to Super **** Bros Brawl.
  81. Nov 24, 2014
    This is the best game evaaaaa!!!! The gameplay is fantastic, graphics are awesome and it is the most competitive fighting game ever. Buy this now you piece of flth.
  82. May 3, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome game! One of the best made games of all time. You can spend so much time with it and it don't get boring, because of the multi-player. Very good balance between the different fighter's and great fan service. Expand
  83. Humfry
    Jan 12, 2002
    I can have ganondorf kick pikachu in the groin! U cant get much better than that!
  84. Chibifish
    Jan 25, 2002
    I come from the UK and i haven't even played it, but there is only one word to describe this game-BRILLIANT!!! Bring on the UK release of Gamecube! BRING IT NOW!!!!
  85. JohnG.
    Oct 3, 2002
    It's utter crap, not smooth in gameplay. Graphics could be alot better animation wise, very jerky. 2 Player crap. Don't get me wrong I own a gamecube and am a fan but not of this game!
  86. Chris
    Feb 25, 2002
    It is the best.
  87. RobinL.
    Feb 9, 2002
    This must be the best game of all time! So good, that everyone MUST have a copy!
  88. JamesK.
    Mar 22, 2002
    Dante thinks this is an RPG game.. o_O
  89. BruceC.
    Mar 6, 2002
    As a multiplayer game, it's good - but not as great as some folks say. 8/10 But as a single player game, it's really nothing special. 6/10 Average of 7/10.
  90. GraceB.
    Aug 1, 2003
    This game is INCREDIBLE!!!!!! It has awesome graphics,players, EVERYTHING!!!!!
  91. LuisR.
    Aug 2, 2003
    This game is so awesome that I can't get enough of this excitment of this game I should rate it 14. It has so much stuf like trophies, diffrent N64 characters, stages, and many more. My favorite of all is Shiek I will also recomend that anyone that has or will get a Gamecube I will tell them try Super Smash Bros. Melee you will love it.
  92. DavidC.
    Aug 7, 2004
    I had the Game Cube since it came out and I hadn't played in a while... but lately I've been playing SSBM (first game I got for the system) frequently. You always want to play it because of all the ways you can do harm to the other players (and you always want to try out every one of them). The sound and graphics are very good with the fact that it was one of the first GC games. I had the Game Cube since it came out and I hadn't played in a while... but lately I've been playing SSBM (first game I got for the system) frequently. You always want to play it because of all the ways you can do harm to the other players (and you always want to try out every one of them). The sound and graphics are very good with the fact that it was one of the first GC games. I don't like the one player mode very much, but it's a whole lot better than the one they had on the 64 version. Expand
  93. DemonicAngel
    Feb 6, 2005
    First off, let's get one thing out of the way. Don't even bother with the single-player. This is a multiplayer game through and through, and whilst it's commendable that the developers came up with modes to keep lone gamers happy, they can't compare to the sheer insane joy of 4 players smacking each other around with crazy special moves. Controls are simple to learn First off, let's get one thing out of the way. Don't even bother with the single-player. This is a multiplayer game through and through, and whilst it's commendable that the developers came up with modes to keep lone gamers happy, they can't compare to the sheer insane joy of 4 players smacking each other around with crazy special moves. Controls are simple to learn but it'll take some time to become really good at the game. All the characters control differently and have different strenghts and weaknesses. Samus Aran, for example, is powerful and has plenty of ranged attacks, but her bulky armoured suit slows her down. Captain Falcon, on the other hand, is very speedy and has great hand-to-hand combat skills, but can be tricky to control and has no ranged attacks. Everyone will find one or two characters they prefer, but they're all good in one way or another (except the horrible Ice Climbers... *shudder*). Overall, an immensely fun multiplayer experience that would make an ideal party game. Expand
  94. EddieE.
    Mar 11, 2006
    I bought SSBM as the first game on my Gamecube. Although I have bought several other games for my system, I still believe that SSBM is extremely better than any game I have purchased. To this day I still play this game on an almost daily basis.
  95. DannyT.
    Jul 4, 2006
    One of the best fighting games ever made. Don't worry about those people who claim that it's not a real fighting game like their Street Fighter, or DOA, etc. I have mastered all kinds of fighting games over the years, but this game is the definition of "Easy to learn, difficult to master." All of the secret fighting techniques you must learn to become a SSBM elite are beyond One of the best fighting games ever made. Don't worry about those people who claim that it's not a real fighting game like their Street Fighter, or DOA, etc. I have mastered all kinds of fighting games over the years, but this game is the definition of "Easy to learn, difficult to master." All of the secret fighting techniques you must learn to become a SSBM elite are beyond subtle, and only come with months to years of practice. Anyone who claims to be an elite player amoung fighting games, but cannot grasp the depth and skill this game requires is truly fooling themselves. Expand
  96. ChristopherA.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Whenever I'm with my friends and we have nothing to do, Melee is always there. No one argues when I recommend we play it - ever. It has more freedom than any fighter ever made. And who can argue with 25 characters and 29 stages, all from Nintendo's storied past?
  97. William
    Jan 10, 2008
    This is my favourite game of all time. It is quick and easy to pick up and play, but also deep and difficult to master. There's no fancy storyline or cut-scenes. This is 100% gameplay. For beginners it is just a bit of quick and easy fun, but for experts the matches can be intense and very skill-demanding. If it wasn't for the eminent release of Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, This is my favourite game of all time. It is quick and easy to pick up and play, but also deep and difficult to master. There's no fancy storyline or cut-scenes. This is 100% gameplay. For beginners it is just a bit of quick and easy fun, but for experts the matches can be intense and very skill-demanding. If it wasn't for the eminent release of Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, I'd say that it's worth buying a Gamecube for this game alone. Expand
  98. AlexC
    Feb 20, 2009
    Where do i begin? the one player mode is long, boring and makes no sense, and to complete that with every character would be boring as hell. Multiplayer is crap unless you have someone to play it with.
  99. d8uv
    Dec 27, 2001
    This is the best game I have EVER owned! If you own the Gamecube, you should be tortured if you don't own this game!

#1 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2001
#1 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2001

An exotic cocktail of entertainment for Nintendo fans, who will slurp up every last drop, and if you want to talk about longevity, I've had this game on import for about six months and I still haven't finished it.
  2. GMR Magazine
    A Nintendo fanatic's dream, if only for the exhaustive gallery of collectible Nintendorabilia. [Feb 2003, p.96]
  3. Seeing the ducks from "Duck Hunt" or the 2 dimensional Ice-climbers (also featured as playable characters) will have you praising Nintendo for their kindness in bringing back some long forgotten gaming moments.