9.1

1. Apr 1, 2013
    Just for this game, i bought the gamecube back in 2002. Though it was relatively inexpensive, I loved that freakin thing. I still play this every now and then. Mortal Kombat wasn't that evolved at that time and this was my game. And I was 8 when I bought this game.
  2. Jun 11, 2011
    This may be the most chaotic fighting game of all time, it's hard to see what's going on screen do all the crazy crap that's happening at all times, which makes it all the more fun, not only is it fun to play by yourself but if you get 4 friends together it's even more fun, plus it delivers several blasts from the past like the music, and references to classic games in the stages and items, and the characters themselves, and it has tons of cool unlock-ables like characters, and tons of statues which are completely useless but I must have them all, while I do have my complaints like how hard it is to unlock some characters, annoying plat-forming sections in the adventure mode, and the controls are cluttered which really isn't the games fault, it's the controllers, but an option to customize the controls would have been, but in the end this is a fighting game that will have you entertained for many hours still today whether your new to fighting games or not trying to master everything, this is one of the best games on the GameCube, if your a Nintendo fan and have stuck with them throughout the years and haven't played this game you owe it to yourself to buy this game, this is highly recommended, especially for Nintendo fans. Expand
  3. Jan 8, 2011
    Super Smash Bros Melee manages to equal the greatness of even games likeMetroid Prime. There are many great new characters all with unique moves, including Mewtwo and Mr Game and Watch, along with other great Nintendo classics. This game boasts that simplicity can be great. The event mode is a welcome addition, added to classic and adventure mode and slo the unlockable all star mode! You never get tired of this game, one of the best games in history! Expand
  4. Jan 24, 2011
    Just a terrific party game overall. Classic, Adventure, and All-Star mode offer a lot of depth as do the event matches. I had a terrific time unlocking all of the hidden characters and stages. Once you unlock everything, the fun really starts to kick in with multiplayer.

If you have a few people to play this with, I highly recommend playing it.
  5. Dec 9, 2011
    Such a fun, fast paced game. Good for just playing with friends, or on a competitive level. I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said a million times. If you want a fighter that will keep you learning new things and getting better for years, play this game.
  6. Apr 30, 2011
    Essential to any NGC or fighting game collection. Pros: Excellent multi-player mode; a stunning variety of characters, levels, and action; lots of unlockables. Cons: The single-player mode just isn't as multi-player.
  7. Jun 28, 2011
    IK this is 2011 and im reviewing a gamecube but why not? So first off graphics are really good for the gamecube time, gameplay is great and action packed especially when playing with a buddy. Story doesnt really make sence but who cares, you can go wrong with all of nintendos best characters in one action packed game.
  8. Mar 9, 2013
    Super Smash Bros. Melee is like its predecessor only bigger and better. There is a huge selection of Nintendo Characters and areas and the graphics, for ngc standards, are pretty good.
  9. Jun 9, 2011
    This game is amazing. When I first bought it I played for 16 hours hours straight. I like it because it has all of my favorite nintendo characters in it.
  10. Sep 10, 2011
    One of the greatest Nintendo games, and one of the greatest fighting games ever made. Fantastic graphics for a launch title, great amounts of characters and trophies, and great gameplay and control.
  11. Oct 3, 2011
    This game is simply and effortlessly amazing, best 2d game of the 2000's I say! It is simply addictive, I played it when it first came out, and still play it!
  12. Nov 7, 2011
    Super Smash Bros. Melee doubles everything that was amazing from the original. Double the characters, double the stages, double the replay value, and double the fun!
  13. Nov 21, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. Possibly the Gamecube's greatest title takes the Nintendo all-stars and pits them together. A very ambitious game that delivers on gameplay, content, and multiplayer.
  14. Dec 30, 2012
    Super Smash Bros. Melee is more fun, has more characters, and has more intuitive gameplay than its predecessor, increasing the replay value ad infinitum.
  15. Jan 17, 2012
    Beautiful game. One of the ultimate games to play when you had friends over back when you were like 14,13. I remember great memories with it. The epitome of brawlers.
  16. Mar 3, 2012
    this game kept me busy for 8 years until the new one came out i probably put 1000+ hours into this game its so addicting all the characters that you know and love are in it i dont care its 2012 buy this game
  17. May 22, 2012
    Just as good as the first one but with more characters and possibilities. Is very funny and gives you lots of game play hours. There are also new game modes and they're welcome. On the other side, there is no innovation in the game mechanics.
  18. Jan 11, 2013
    This game was impressively made in two years from the previous title, Super Smash Bros on the N64, in 1999 and this one 2001. There is many great aspects of this game, and few things I'd complain about, but the one thing that made me give this game a point less would be clones. The move sets for some of the characters seem too similar to others, which was a bit sloppy, considering maybe a quarter of the characters have this problem. Overall, 9/10 Expand
  19. Feb 2, 2013
    This game is ridiculously fun to play. Controls are very smooth and precise, making the gameplay fast and exciting. It adds a ton of content from the previous game, like trophies and more characters. Single player offers many more modes with an adventure mode, event, and all-star mode. Multiplayer is much more fun with a lot match customization options to play with your friends. I do have a few gripes with this game, however. The visuals are quite nice, but some of the detailing and scaling in some of the levels is a bit low quality, like how the F-Zero machines in Mute City and Big Blue look exactly like the machines in F-Zero X for the N64. I believe the camera mode was rather poorly done, because the controls are wonky as heck and you really can't access this in the middle of a match (which is what Brawl did and I am thankful for that improvement). I also thought the process of unlocking new characters could be a little tedious, such as having to play in hundreds of VS. matches to get someone like Mr. Game and Watch. Granted, the gameplay is fun so it does render this point pretty moot, but if you're not all that into this game, then you might feel bored by having to do this. Admist these minor problems, the game is still great. It's addicting, accessible, and intense. Great for both the hardcore gamer, but also good for casual gamers who want to try out a fighting game. Those that are scoring this game less than a 5 are simply trolling, or spewing ignorance because this game is too simple in its control scheme. I highly recommend this game for your Gamecube collection, even if you're not really into this sort of game. Expand
  20. Dec 30, 2012
    Easily the best game overtime.At some points I like certain games more but this is always going to be one of my favourites.Tenouttaten!Also has Marth and Roy.
  21. Jan 19, 2013
    One of the main reasons to own the Gamecube, Melee combines both casual and hardcore elements in its fighting that will inspire players to come back to it for a good time. Characters from many of Nintendo's franchises collide in this epic to help gamers settle age long disputes: "Who would win in a fight: Peach or Samus?"
  22. Mar 24, 2013
    SSBM Super Smash Bros. Melee? More like Super Smash Bros. Masterpiece. Also, this is by far the best fighting game i ever played in my life. I don't have a Nintendo Gamecube (yes, it's discontinued), but it will not stop me from playing. I have an emulator, and the game is still epic, as usual.
  23. May 16, 2013
    What I consider to be one of, if not THE greatest fighting game to ever grace not just the Gamecube, but the fighting genre as a whole. Super Smash Bros. Melee achieves something that all fighting games wish to achieve: lasting fun. This game has aged without a wrinkle in the past 12 years it's been out. Nintendo couldn't even beat their own lasting appeal of this game with Brawl (which I thought was a bit too slow). From the moment the amazing opening is played, to your very last GAME, this is a classic for the ages. Not only is the gameplay quick, but it's easy to pick up and play, and the intentionally made technical tricks in the game make it the most versatile fighting game to date. Your ability to gain more skill in this game is practically unlimited in this game. You aren't restricted with the movements of your character. You can reduce your recoil when you hit the ground, slide around the floor, and string combos around in the most creative ways if your good enough. The music is fantastic. Really legendary in the video game environment, right down to the announcer's voice when you begin and end a game. The Adventure mode is perhaps the perfect distraction in single player sector, but while memorable, it's more of an imperfection that we soon come to see improved in the next game. Event matches are a blast, and personally I find them a little more fun than Brawl's. It's creative how Nintendo can fit so many neat modes in this game. Their's slow melee, lighting melee, big, tiny, etc. The photo feature in the game is the most useless addition however, as you can't take pictures unless you choose the mode and plan something to happen. This is another feature that's fixed in the next generation. Still this is the most solid fighting game I have ever played and is a blast to play with friends and family alike. Also, I would like Nintendo to bring back the old handicap system. It's much more fun to gang up on someone with naturally more strength than you, instead of just some percentage starter. If you have a Gamecube, PLAY THIS GAME NOW! This is a gleaming emerald in the tropical sun, as far as fighting games go. Do yourself a favor and find some friends to play this tonight. Hopefully the next Smash game will be even better than this. Expand
  24. Jun 26, 2013
    This game is a prime example of doing a sequel right. Take all the elements of the first game, refine them to near perfection while adding lots of new stages, characters, trophies, gameplay modes and extras. Really, there's no flaw with this game. It's just an all around amazing fighting game that you shouldn't miss.
  25. Sep 20, 2013
    This game is one of the best games ever made and my all time favourite Smash Bros game of all time!!! The game is highly addicting to play in with both single and multiplayer!!! The adventure mode is pretty fun and the mission mode for me was better than Brawl, but lacked in difficulty in mode. Characters are fun to play with once they are unlockable and have a good moveset.
  26. Jul 3, 2013
    One of the greatest game sever. It's essentially perfect except after one plays Brawl, the flaws in this game will be noticeable, other than that though, this is a legendary game. SO much fun, and better than the crappy Sony rip off.
  27. Jul 8, 2013
    In my opinion, this is the best fighting game ever made. It came out in 2001 and is STILL being played competitively in tournaments! This was the first game I ever played at a tournament, and still continue to play it to this day. It has the best mechanics, the best atmosphere, and the best replay-ability in the Smash Bros. series. 10/10
  28. Nov 23, 2014
    This is by far the greatest game Nintendo have ever made and my favourite video game of all time. I played for game for countless hours and never got bored of it. I have played Brawl, it is very good as well but it's a little bit disappointing compared to it's predecessor. No other video game will top a game for many years to come, not even FIFA or Call of Duty will be able to do that.
  29. Aug 4, 2013
    Maybe the best game on the GameCube.
    Also, the reason my brother got our family one, when we were kids.

This game along with Mario Kart Double Dash, Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, are must haves for the system.

10 out of 10.
  30. Sep 7, 2013
    Not much to say. You can play this game for years and it won't get old (multiplayer, that is). And there's always a way to improve your skills or learn a new combo your friends didn't expect.
  31. Oct 19, 2013
    Super smash bros melee is an incredible game with tons of stuff to do It makes the original look thin Tons of unlockables. Even the single player it's deep and filled with stuff to do But the multiplayer is even more cuztomizable 26 characters and 29 stages I recommend you to buy it now
  32. May 26, 2014
    If you don't count Smash Bros. Brawl: Project M: this is the best game in the series. Mostly because of the better combat, less horrible characters (Meaning people are balanced in a good way) & less of a focus on "needing to smash, to kill" like Brawl had.
  33. Nov 22, 2013
    There are only a limited number of games, few and far between, that stand the test of time. To say this title has stood the test of time would be an understatement. SSB is truly a masterpiece, and is often ranked and praised as the greatest game that was released for the Nintendo GameCube. If you could only own one game for this console, it would unquestionably be this title. The fun and enjoyment factor is undeniably endless, which, consequently, results in a reply value so high that not even the human mind can fathom. I will release no spoilers, other than the known fact that there is an accumulated total of 25 playable characters, as well as 29 playable stages, none of which are even remotely similar to the other. As I conclude this review, let it be noted that, even with the dawning of the PS4 and Xbox One, SSB is still universally played to this very day, and will always be in contention for greatest game ever made. 10/10 Expand
  34. Jan 3, 2014
    One of the best fighting games ever made. Nintendo used this game and picked up the original Super Smash off its feet. There are a lot of ways to kill your opponent, and the intensity is the fun part. There are many ways in the game to interact including a campaign, 4 player Co-op, personal missions, special melee (like super sudden death or super slow mo.), mini-games, and the tournament mode. These will keep you going for ages, and the fighting (what it mostly is) never gets dull. I always have the joy of going back to unlock new fighters and maps and collect trophies. This is a game for fighters to last throughout the ages! Expand
  35. Feb 5, 2014
    The best game on the GameCube hands down. It's better then Metroid Prime, it's better than Resident Evil 4, it is the best game on the GameCube. It is one of my all time favorite games. Everything about this game is great. If you have a GameCube and you don't have this game, you are missing out.
  36. Jan 26, 2014
    great game!
    fun by yourself on classic mode, adventure, all star, or even the cool special battle thingies, or with a bunch of friends in a tournament. Creative battle royale.
  37. Jan 27, 2014
    This game is so much fun with 4 people. The main down side to this game is the single player, it is not that broad.
    Single player: 7/10
    Multiplayer: 10/10
  38. Mar 31, 2014
    this game is "good", it has alot of content, the gameplay is very fun and addictive, theres a good roster, but i think they need to make a one character per franchise rule, theres 4 mario characters, but one kirby character?, the programmers of the game program the kirby games, so what the heck?, also if your like me and your coming from capcom fighters like MvC2, this game is VERY hard to get use to, but still fun Expand
  39. Mar 12, 2014
    Add a bunch more characters on one of the best, and of the few, gamecube games that were created. The list of characters is great. I remember getting this as a kid and playing with my brother and friends for hours. The graphics today are not bad and the game play additions and all the added items add to the mix of madness fun that you would expect from a sequel to the great N64 game.
  40. May 2, 2014
    This game was amazing. It's game-play was excessively fun, and really it is my favorite of the GameCube library. That I'd played. I haven't gotten around to Super Mario Sunshine yet. It's, in a nutshell, a large amount of why GameCube is my favorite Nintendo console.

It's so fun fighting against your friends as Nintendo characters. But I'm definitely going to discuss quality.

The
    game-play is the most balanced in it's series, and it definitely was a huge add-on to the original. It did a lot to change the series. It also... Well... Hard to explain... Was perhaps the most fun I've ever had.

My personal rating out of 100: 95/100.
  41. Jul 26, 2014
    I only put this down because of the HORRIBLE AI. Its one of the worst in a fighting game ever. Other than that, this was a wonderfully crafted game and deserves to be called the best Super Smash Bros. game ever. If you have a GameCube and don't have Melee, your missing out.
  42. Oct 4, 2014
    Aaaaahhhh... so much nostalgia. This game boasts an improved character roster from the original and in my opinion the best gameplay of the three Smash Bros. If you've never played this game and you have a Wii or old dusty GameCube you haven't touched in a year or two, then you NEED to go buy this and PLAY THE SH!T OUT OF IT. This is among the absolute best games that Nintendo has ever made, which really says a lot with things like the original Super Mario Bros. and Ocarina of Time. Expand
  43. Sep 10, 2014
    This game is just fun as heck. A truly amazing game that stands the test of time. It's over TEN years old and it's still phenomenal and I still have a blast playing it.
  44. Sep 10, 2014
    This game is extremely good. There are lots of Nintendo characters you can choose from to beat up using other Nintendo characters. Some of the music is really good and the intro is beautiful. There are a few flaws. The AI kind of sucks in this game. Also there were a couple a characters that were nearly identical to other characters. Some of them didn't even have games outside of Japan. But that is just minor complaints and won't ruin much from your experience. If I were you, try to get this game ASAP. Expand
  45. Oct 16, 2014
    I don´t what makes people think that Melee and Project M are a thousand times better.I think these people are so competitive in those games, that, when they went play Brawl, it seems horrible.IT´s NOT!!!
  46. Sep 17, 2014
    A classic game that is arguably one of the Gamecube's best. The game came out over ten years ago, and it's aged beautifully, sporting fast-paced combat that is fun to pick up but difficult to master. This makes it great to play on both casual and competitive levels. It definitely has the smoothest gameplay of any release in the series. There is also a lot of content to unlock, and distractions to indulge oneself which count towards the many hours of enjoyment to be found here. Expand
  47. Sep 29, 2014
    Better than brawl played competitively to this day. Amazing roster great stages fun event matches great engine. Please play Brawl then this you can never go back to Super **** Bros Brawl.
  48. Oct 21, 2014
    SSBM is a truly great game with fun and interesting gameplay, great characters and simple but amazing level design. It also has a great competitive scene. If you like fighting games, give this a try.
    I give this game Frankfurt / 10
  49. Nov 2, 2014
    this game is not better than brawl i put alteast 100+ hours into it just last YEAR sience i got the game 350+ hours the game is simply perfect the only thing the game lacks is custom stages and characters
  50. Nov 24, 2014
    This is the best game evaaaaa!!!! The gameplay is fantastic, graphics are awesome and it is the most competitive fighting game ever. Buy this now you piece of flth.
  51. Nov 27, 2014
    Now this game really had a big impact in my in my childhood. This game has astonishing game-play it is hard to explain. This is also a very good game for people starting to get into the fighting genre. Definitely a must try for people new to video games!
  52. Nov 28, 2014
    After Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo 64, gamers waited for a sequel to appear on the GameCube. Although Smash 64 was fun, Super Smash Bros. Melee dramatically improved on an already great game. The game play was faster paced now. The sound quality and controls were improved, there was more music, stages were plenty, the graphics were a lot more eye appealing (Though I still like the N64's look), and more Nintendo universes were involved than before. Overall, there was just more content in it and it was fantastic.

The single player was more fleshed out. Melee introduced such things as adventure mode, all - star, events and more. Single player is enjoyable but mutliplayer is were Smash Bros really shines. New modes such as giant melee, and stamina melee felt unique and plays differently from each other. Unlike other fighting games, Smash Bros can be played as a party game or competitive. If you just what a fun time with your friends, you can turn on items and use all the different modes to kill or be killed in the most havoc ways. If you want to play it competitively, there are advance techniques like wave-dashing and L - canceling to improve your game.

Super Smash Bros. Melee has very few problems with it. They are not that big of a deal but you will notice. The majority of the stages are very fun but there are 3 or 4 that are not really that fun like icicle mountain. The game has a couple of characters that are basically the same, (Clones) like Captain Falcon and Ganondorf.

Even with the few problems, Super Smash Bros. Melee is an excellent game. It brings in everything that creates Nintendo and puts it into one game. Anyone can easily play it and have a good time. The problems are so small that i would round the game closer to a 10 than a 9. If you have never played it, I highly recommend that you try it out at least. Who knows, you may have a new game series you enjoy.

An exotic cocktail of entertainment for Nintendo fans, who will slurp up every last drop, and if you want to talk about longevity, I've had this game on import for about six months and I still haven't finished it.
  2. A Nintendo fanatic's dream, if only for the exhaustive gallery of collectible Nintendorabilia. [Feb 2003, p.96]
  3. Seeing the ducks from "Duck Hunt" or the 2 dimensional Ice-climbers (also featured as playable characters) will have you praising Nintendo for their kindness in bringing back some long forgotten gaming moments.