Super Smash Bros. Melee GameCube

9.1

1. Jun 11, 2011
    This may be the most chaotic fighting game of all time, it's hard to see what's going on screen do all the crazy crap that's happening at all times, which makes it all the more fun, not only is it fun to play by yourself but if you get 4 friends together it's even more fun, plus it delivers several blasts from the past like the music, and references to classic games in the stages andThis may be the most chaotic fighting game of all time, it's hard to see what's going on screen do all the crazy crap that's happening at all times, which makes it all the more fun, not only is it fun to play by yourself but if you get 4 friends together it's even more fun, plus it delivers several blasts from the past like the music, and references to classic games in the stages and items, and the characters themselves, and it has tons of cool unlock-ables like characters, and tons of statues which are completely useless but I must have them all, while I do have my complaints like how hard it is to unlock some characters, annoying plat-forming sections in the adventure mode, and the controls are cluttered which really isn't the games fault, it's the controllers, but an option to customize the controls would have been, but in the end this is a fighting game that will have you entertained for many hours still today whether your new to fighting games or not trying to master everything, this is one of the best games on the GameCube, if your a Nintendo fan and have stuck with them throughout the years and haven't played this game you owe it to yourself to buy this game, this is highly recommended, especially for Nintendo fans. Expand
  2. Jan 24, 2016
    This game is fun! I like it a lot more than I used to. The graphics are okay for the GameCube. The character selection is great. I like the Adventure mode but I liked SSE in Brawl better. And this game introduced A LOT of stuff to the series. Super Smash Bros Melee is a great SSB game and I would recommend it.
  3. GraceB.
    Aug 1, 2003
    This game is INCREDIBLE!!!!!! It has awesome graphics,players, EVERYTHING!!!!!
  4. Link
    Apr 24, 2002
    God this game is good! The adventure mode looks great! Me & my friends can't wait for the release in australia!
  5. Nov 8, 2015
    This is one of my favourite games on the Nintendo GameCube, and the one I haven't played very much of but got back to it recently, Super Smash Bros. Melee is the Sequal to the Original Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. The graphics are beyond standards for a launch title, which is great. The character selection is okay. The stages are awesome. The music is great. Adventure Mode is funThis is one of my favourite games on the Nintendo GameCube, and the one I haven't played very much of but got back to it recently, Super Smash Bros. Melee is the Sequal to the Original Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. The graphics are beyond standards for a launch title, which is great. The character selection is okay. The stages are awesome. The music is great. Adventure Mode is fun as hell. The Intro...I freakin' love that. Super Smash Bros. Melee is one of the Games that are very hard to find for a great deal, sells for like $60-$70 USD Online. My older copy stopped working, but I was LUCKY enough to find one in perfect condition for JUST $50 USD. I recommend you go to every single Video Game Exchange Store in your local area before taking one step ahead to Amazon, eBay, etc. And if you find one for $50 or less, DEFINITELY pick it up ESPECIALLY if it's in great condition. You just can't leave it behind.

Ultimately to end this review, I love this game along with the 4 (5 if you count Project M.) and I highly recommend it.
  6. LuisR.
    Aug 2, 2003
    This game is so awesome that I can't get enough of this excitment of this game I should rate it 14. It has so much stuf like trophies, diffrent N64 characters, stages, and many more. My favorite of all is Shiek I will also recomend that anyone that has or will get a Gamecube I will tell them try Super Smash Bros. Melee you will love it.
  7. DavidC.
    Aug 7, 2004
    I had the Game Cube since it came out and I hadn't played in a while... but lately I've been playing SSBM (first game I got for the system) frequently. You always want to play it because of all the ways you can do harm to the other players (and you always want to try out every one of them). The sound and graphics are very good with the fact that it was one of the first GC games. I had the Game Cube since it came out and I hadn't played in a while... but lately I've been playing SSBM (first game I got for the system) frequently. You always want to play it because of all the ways you can do harm to the other players (and you always want to try out every one of them). The sound and graphics are very good with the fact that it was one of the first GC games. I don't like the one player mode very much, but it's a whole lot better than the one they had on the 64 version. Expand
  8. EddieE.
    Mar 11, 2006
    I bought SSBM as the first game on my Gamecube. Although I have bought several other games for my system, I still believe that SSBM is extremely better than any game I have purchased. To this day I still play this game on an almost daily basis.
  9. DannyT.
    Jul 4, 2006
    One of the best fighting games ever made. Don't worry about those people who claim that it's not a real fighting game like their Street Fighter, or DOA, etc. I have mastered all kinds of fighting games over the years, but this game is the definition of "Easy to learn, difficult to master." All of the secret fighting techniques you must learn to become a SSBM elite are beyond One of the best fighting games ever made. Don't worry about those people who claim that it's not a real fighting game like their Street Fighter, or DOA, etc. I have mastered all kinds of fighting games over the years, but this game is the definition of "Easy to learn, difficult to master." All of the secret fighting techniques you must learn to become a SSBM elite are beyond subtle, and only come with months to years of practice. Anyone who claims to be an elite player amoung fighting games, but cannot grasp the depth and skill this game requires is truly fooling themselves. Expand
  10. ChristopherA.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Whenever I'm with my friends and we have nothing to do, Melee is always there. No one argues when I recommend we play it - ever. It has more freedom than any fighter ever made. And who can argue with 25 characters and 29 stages, all from Nintendo's storied past?
  11. William
    Jan 10, 2008
    This is my favourite game of all time. It is quick and easy to pick up and play, but also deep and difficult to master. There's no fancy storyline or cut-scenes. This is 100% gameplay. For beginners it is just a bit of quick and easy fun, but for experts the matches can be intense and very skill-demanding. If it wasn't for the eminent release of Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, This is my favourite game of all time. It is quick and easy to pick up and play, but also deep and difficult to master. There's no fancy storyline or cut-scenes. This is 100% gameplay. For beginners it is just a bit of quick and easy fun, but for experts the matches can be intense and very skill-demanding. If it wasn't for the eminent release of Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, I'd say that it's worth buying a Gamecube for this game alone. Expand
  12. M.M.
    Oct 10, 2002
    This game rocks! I like Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 64 but this game is even better. How can some of you give this game a zero? It's the best, and I hope you don't forget it or your going to regret it. Rent this game, it's the best!!! Don't listen to the other morons who say its not.
  13. ChrisD.
    Jan 8, 2002
    This is undoubtly the best game Nintendo has produced. A lot of other games come close ("Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time," "Rogue Leader," "GoldenEye 007") but they are either not multiplayer or just can't top this game. This is the best in multi-player action on the market. The only bad part about this game are the 3 Past Levels (Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong's place, and This is undoubtly the best game Nintendo has produced. A lot of other games come close ("Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time," "Rogue Leader," "GoldenEye 007") but they are either not multiplayer or just can't top this game. This is the best in multi-player action on the market. The only bad part about this game are the 3 Past Levels (Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong's place, and Kirby's place, Dream Land), since they didn't include Link's old place, Pikachu's old place...it was slightly disappointing. Also, the secret characters, while very good, were slightly dissapointing. I mean, where's Banjo-Kazzoie? Where's King Dedede? Where's Diddy Kong? Who the heck is Marth and Mr. Game & Watch? These drawbacks, though, are small, and it is still a great game. Expand
  14. GeoM.
    Jul 14, 2002
    Great multiplayer, and single player is much improved from old version. Only get if you have friends to play with. Only good game for Gamecube out so far.
  15. BenJ.
    Jul 30, 2002
    Amazing gameplay and visuals from fighting Giga Bowser to the patch on Mario's overalls. For the people buying it, you'll get a game with over 100 hours of amusement and 500 hours of partying with your friends.
  16. JackieN.
    Mar 20, 2004
    If I could say higher then 10 I would! This is one of the best games I've ever played, I can't wait until I have my own gamecube so I won't have to go to my BFF's house and play it!!!!!!!!!!
  17. JustinB.
    Oct 3, 2005
    There is a reason this game has remained one of the top selling GameCube titles for years, and if you haven't played it, you owe it to yourself to find a way.
  18. KevinH.
    Mar 7, 2005
    Years after the game has come out, I always find myself going back and playing it. This is the kind of game that never runs out of play value.
  19. JonL.
    Apr 4, 2005
    Best GameCube game ever.
  20. RobC.
    Apr 21, 2002
    The Best game that has all nintendo's charachters.
  21. SoulCalibur2
    Sep 6, 2003
    This is a great game and all, but is does tend to get slightly repetive after a while, even with its new characters and new stages. I find that once you get new games, your attention slides away from it. Still, great game!...Oh, and Kong, I have one thing to say to you, you are a cow.
  22. DanielT.
    Jan 11, 2002
    Message to James I.:You are an idiot. If you give it a zero it's kind of obvious that you have never played this game before. Only an idiot would give a zero to one of the best games to this date!! (PS):THIS GAME IS SWEET, Xbox SUCKS!!!
  23. Tim-ayJuh-ta-mi
    Jan 25, 2002
    Thankfully, Nintendo left the perfect multi-player aspect of SSB for the n64 alone, and simply tweaked to perfection the single player mode. but i have 2 gripes about Melee. (1)on some of the smaller, more enclosed stages (and there are a good amount of them) the action gets so frenetic that you can't see what the hell is going on. I have been smashed off the stage numerous times Thankfully, Nintendo left the perfect multi-player aspect of SSB for the n64 alone, and simply tweaked to perfection the single player mode. but i have 2 gripes about Melee. (1)on some of the smaller, more enclosed stages (and there are a good amount of them) the action gets so frenetic that you can't see what the hell is going on. I have been smashed off the stage numerous times because i coulden't see where i was. (2) When playing with your friends, a button-masher can easily destroy you, even if you have mastered the tactics and controls. I have tried it myself; just randomly mashing buttons while fighting, and I won by a pretty hefty margin. But Melee has a whole truckload of pluses on it's side. Smooth graphics, responsive controls, an almost satanic amount of play modes and challenges, an even more satanic amount of things for you too unlock (i swear, all those friggin trophies will take twice as long as all the gaps in THPS2), nice music (cept' for that damn DK rap), diverse charcaters, oh... and samus is there, so that's pretty much a reason alone to buy this game). just my 2 copper pieces. Expand
  24. Jun 28, 2011
    IK this is 2011 and im reviewing a gamecube but why not? So first off graphics are really good for the gamecube time, gameplay is great and action packed especially when playing with a buddy. Story doesnt really make sence but who cares, you can go wrong with all of nintendos best characters in one action packed game.
  25. Nov 7, 2011
    Super Smash Bros. Melee doubles everything that was amazing from the original. Double the characters, double the stages, double the replay value, and double the fun!
  26. Dec 30, 2012
    Super Smash Bros. Melee is more fun, has more characters, and has more intuitive gameplay than its predecessor, increasing the replay value ad infinitum.
  27. May 22, 2012
    Just as good as the first one but with more characters and possibilities. Is very funny and gives you lots of game play hours. There are also new game modes and they're welcome. On the other side, there is no innovation in the game mechanics.
  28. Jan 11, 2013
    This game was impressively made in two years from the previous title, Super Smash Bros on the N64, in 1999 and this one 2001. There is many great aspects of this game, and few things I'd complain about, but the one thing that made me give this game a point less would be clones. The move sets for some of the characters seem too similar to others, which was a bit sloppy, considering maybe aThis game was impressively made in two years from the previous title, Super Smash Bros on the N64, in 1999 and this one 2001. There is many great aspects of this game, and few things I'd complain about, but the one thing that made me give this game a point less would be clones. The move sets for some of the characters seem too similar to others, which was a bit sloppy, considering maybe a quarter of the characters have this problem. Overall, 9/10 Expand
  29. Feb 2, 2013
    This game is ridiculously fun to play. Controls are very smooth and precise, making the gameplay fast and exciting. It adds a ton of content from the previous game, like trophies and more characters. Single player offers many more modes with an adventure mode, event, and all-star mode. Multiplayer is much more fun with a lot match customization options to play with your friends. I do haveThis game is ridiculously fun to play. Controls are very smooth and precise, making the gameplay fast and exciting. It adds a ton of content from the previous game, like trophies and more characters. Single player offers many more modes with an adventure mode, event, and all-star mode. Multiplayer is much more fun with a lot match customization options to play with your friends. I do have a few gripes with this game, however. The visuals are quite nice, but some of the detailing and scaling in some of the levels is a bit low quality, like how the F-Zero machines in Mute City and Big Blue look exactly like the machines in F-Zero X for the N64. I believe the camera mode was rather poorly done, because the controls are wonky as heck and you really can't access this in the middle of a match (which is what Brawl did and I am thankful for that improvement). I also thought the process of unlocking new characters could be a little tedious, such as having to play in hundreds of VS. matches to get someone like Mr. Game and Watch. Granted, the gameplay is fun so it does render this point pretty moot, but if you're not all that into this game, then you might feel bored by having to do this. Admist these minor problems, the game is still great. It's addicting, accessible, and intense. Great for both the hardcore gamer, but also good for casual gamers who want to try out a fighting game. Those that are scoring this game less than a 5 are simply trolling, or spewing ignorance because this game is too simple in its control scheme. I highly recommend this game for your Gamecube collection, even if you're not really into this sort of game. Expand
  30. Dec 5, 2015
    One of my favoroute games of all time. This game is a great party game that anybody can play........And then theres the deeper neverending, constintly evolving Metagame!
  31. Sep 20, 2013
    This game is one of the best games ever made and my all time favourite Smash Bros game of all time!!! The game is highly addicting to play in with both single and multiplayer!!! The adventure mode is pretty fun and the mission mode for me was better than Brawl, but lacked in difficulty in mode. Characters are fun to play with once they are unlockable and have a good moveset.
  32. Aug 4, 2013
    Maybe the best game on the GameCube.
    Also, the reason my brother got our family one, when we were kids.

This game along with Mario Kart Double Dash, Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, are must haves for the system.

10 out of 10.
  33. Oct 4, 2014
    Aaaaahhhh... so much nostalgia. This game boasts an improved character roster from the original and in my opinion the best gameplay of the three Smash Bros. If you've never played this game and you have a Wii or old dusty GameCube you haven't touched in a year or two, then you NEED to go buy this and PLAY THE SH!T OUT OF IT. This is among the absolute best games that Nintendo has everAaaaahhhh... so much nostalgia. This game boasts an improved character roster from the original and in my opinion the best gameplay of the three Smash Bros. If you've never played this game and you have a Wii or old dusty GameCube you haven't touched in a year or two, then you NEED to go buy this and PLAY THE SH!T OUT OF IT. This is among the absolute best games that Nintendo has ever made, which really says a lot with things like the original Super Mario Bros. and Ocarina of Time. Expand
  34. Sep 10, 2014
    This game is just fun as heck. A truly amazing game that stands the test of time. It's over TEN years old and it's still phenomenal and I still have a blast playing it.
  35. Nov 2, 2014
    this game is not better than brawl i put alteast 100+ hours into it just last YEAR sience i got the game 350+ hours the game is simply perfect the only thing the game lacks is custom stages and characters
  36. Nov 24, 2014
    This is the best game evaaaaa!!!! The gameplay is fantastic, graphics are awesome and it is the most competitive fighting game ever. Buy this now you piece of flth.
  37. Jan 6, 2016
    A fantastically fun game to play with friends. Super Smash Bros is a game of skill, luck, but most of all, a game of fun. This game remains enjoyable even to this day.
  38. Mar 25, 2016
    You know that when a fighting game still has a huge competitive scene 15 years after its release, that the developers have done something right. Melee is second to no other Smash Bros game.
  39. Dec 26, 2015
    This is one of my favourite games on the Nintendo GameCube, and the one I haven't played very much of but got back to it recently, Super Smash Bros. Melee is the Sequal to the Original Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. The graphics are beyond standards for a launch title, which is great. The character selection is okay. The stages are some of the best in the series IMO. The music isThis is one of my favourite games on the Nintendo GameCube, and the one I haven't played very much of but got back to it recently, Super Smash Bros. Melee is the Sequal to the Original Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. The graphics are beyond standards for a launch title, which is great. The character selection is okay. The stages are some of the best in the series IMO. The music is great. Adventure Mode is fun as hell. The Intro...I freakin' love that. Super Smash Bros. Melee is one of the Games that are very hard to find for a great deal, sells for like $60-$70 USD Online. My older copy stopped working, but I was LUCKY enough to find one in perfect condition for JUST $50 USD. I recommend you go to every single Video Game Exchange Store in your local area before taking one step ahead to Amazon, eBay, etc. And if you find one for $50 or less, DEFINITELY pick it up ESPECIALLY if it's in great condition. You just can't leave it behind.

This game is also played competively I think the most, to this day.
  40. Feb 5, 2016
    Even though the gameplay is super fast, Melee has like a whole load of adventure waiting for you to join in the fray and battle to the death! Even better... SUDDEN DEATH!
  41. Jan 8, 2016
    great game if your a fighting game fan id recommend this great physics interesting stages great cast of characters if you are competitive i wish you luck on journey
  42. Feb 29, 2016
    i love this game best game ever 10/10 every other game sucks conmapread to mele i love game i platd it all day and i am just erambling to fill up characters minimun :-)
  43. Mar 10, 2016
    As a competitive Smash player, I must say, Melee is definitely the game that keeps us all together, and the game that got Smash into the Esport scene. I love it not just for it's depth and complexity, but for it's community, it's history, and it's ever-growing tales of heroism, treachery, and electrifying match-ups.
  44. May 3, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome game! One of the best made games of all time. You can spend so much time with it and it don't get boring, because of the multi-player. Very good balance between the different fighter's and great fan service. Expand
  45. Jul 3, 2016
    Best out of the super smash bros. series this game is so fun and very fun playing with other people. This game is just full of awesomeness. Controls feel great and the characters are cool and their powers as well. This game is perfect.
  46. Jun 28, 2016
    A spectacular game. Fun if you're just playing drunk with 3 other friends with items or if you're playing top 8 at the biggest tournament you can survive in. This game is fast, fun, and has withstood the test of time. There's not too much that even needs to be said about this game; the controls are tight, the gameplay is amazing, the hype is real.

If you're looking for a fighting game

If you're looking for a fighting game to sink a lot of time into, then look no further. This game will not bore you before it dies and it's not dying anytime soon.
  47. Jul 31, 2016
    This is likely the most solid installment in the Smash Bros series, as it has a good balance of expanding on the simple, arcade-like feeling of the N64 entry without losing that charm. The new additions to the rosters were generally good choices and the new stages were generally very well designed.

The single-player mode is one of the best things about the game, as all three variations were all very fun to take each character through.

The only big fault with this game is that there are some balancing issues and some of the characters don't seem to play as well as they should. However, this is overall the strongest entry in the series and is still fun to revisit years later.
  48. DemonicAngel
    Feb 6, 2005
    First off, let's get one thing out of the way. Don't even bother with the single-player. This is a multiplayer game through and through, and whilst it's commendable that the developers came up with modes to keep lone gamers happy, they can't compare to the sheer insane joy of 4 players smacking each other around with crazy special moves. Controls are simple to learn First off, let's get one thing out of the way. Don't even bother with the single-player. This is a multiplayer game through and through, and whilst it's commendable that the developers came up with modes to keep lone gamers happy, they can't compare to the sheer insane joy of 4 players smacking each other around with crazy special moves. Controls are simple to learn but it'll take some time to become really good at the game. All the characters control differently and have different strenghts and weaknesses. Samus Aran, for example, is powerful and has plenty of ranged attacks, but her bulky armoured suit slows her down. Captain Falcon, on the other hand, is very speedy and has great hand-to-hand combat skills, but can be tricky to control and has no ranged attacks. Everyone will find one or two characters they prefer, but they're all good in one way or another (except the horrible Ice Climbers... *shudder*). Overall, an immensely fun multiplayer experience that would make an ideal party game. Expand
  49. Humfry
    Jan 12, 2002
    I can have ganondorf kick pikachu in the groin! U cant get much better than that!
  50. Chibifish
    Jan 25, 2002
    I come from the UK and i haven't even played it, but there is only one word to describe this game-BRILLIANT!!! Bring on the UK release of Gamecube! BRING IT NOW!!!!
  51. Chris
    Feb 25, 2002
    It is the best.
  52. RobinL.
    Feb 9, 2002
    This must be the best game of all time! So good, that everyone MUST have a copy!
  53. JamesK.
    Mar 22, 2002
    Dante thinks this is an RPG game.. o_O
  54. Sep 10, 2011
    One of the greatest Nintendo games, and one of the greatest fighting games ever made. Fantastic graphics for a launch title, great amounts of characters and trophies, and great gameplay and control.
  55. d8uv
    Dec 27, 2001
    This is the best game I have EVER owned! If you own the Gamecube, you should be tortured if you don't own this game!
  56. AdamW.
    Jan 5, 2002
    The game rules.
  57. Beavarius
    Apr 4, 2002
    Hey, Dante, I can assure there is no talking to people or opening doors, I think you have the wrong game. Doomas.
  58. CheeseyM.
    Mar 28, 2003
    A stroke of pure genious from the all seeing Miyamato!
  59. MatthewS.
    Apr 20, 2003
    Very and I mean Very cool. If you do not have this game you have to get it.
  60. JoshuaK.
    May 10, 2003
    I have this game it is so fun, everyone should have it.
  61. DanielM.
    Nov 2, 2004
    So much fun to play, 10 out of 10 for multiplayer.
  62. Jun 9, 2011
    This game is amazing. When I first bought it I played for 16 hours hours straight. I like it because it has all of my favorite nintendo characters in it.
  63. Jul 3, 2013
    One of the greatest game sever. It's essentially perfect except after one plays Brawl, the flaws in this game will be noticeable, other than that though, this is a legendary game. SO much fun, and better than the crappy Sony rip off.
  64. Nov 27, 2014
    Now this game really had a big impact in my in my childhood. This game has astonishing game-play it is hard to explain. This is also a very good game for people starting to get into the fighting genre. Definitely a must try for people new to video games!
  65. Aug 22, 2016
    O melhor smash bros, gráficos lindos, muitos personagens, o jogo tem batalhas rapidas, nao encontrei bugs, o legal desse smash bros é que ele é disputado ate hoje
  66. Dec 4, 2014
    Not a bad game, but it's my least favorite smash, most likely because it's so overrated. It's impossible for just anyone to get in the game unless they can pull of complex "advanced techniques" that are really glitches used to cheat. Thanks, ratchet competitive community. 1/4 of the characters are clones, including Ganondorf being a clone of Captain Falcon (making a clone is worse thanNot a bad game, but it's my least favorite smash, most likely because it's so overrated. It's impossible for just anyone to get in the game unless they can pull of complex "advanced techniques" that are really glitches used to cheat. Thanks, ratchet competitive community. 1/4 of the characters are clones, including Ganondorf being a clone of Captain Falcon (making a clone is worse than keeping a clone). The game is terrible unbalanced, having one character that's far better than the rest (Fox). Items appear way too frequently on high settings, and despawn too quickly. The bottom screen hitboxes are too high, causing you to die before getting to optimal range to grab right on to the ledge, and the game is too fast. People praise Melee for being fast, but they shouldn't. You have barely any room for error unless you have the reflexes better than a cat. Adventure mode is another thing that's praised, but really, its nice going through the worlds of characters and all, but due to the lack of variety, it gets REALLY repetitive since you have to complete it with all the characters for all the trophies. The game is filled with game-breaking glitches such as the one that makes Master Hand playable and the "black hole" glitch. Quite possibly the worst of all, to take screenshots require way too many blocks on your memory card, and you need a controller in the 4th slot, that can't control a character, just to do so.
    It has good graphics for a Gamecube game at least.
    Just because Brawl patched the "advanced" exploits and is slower so anyone can enjoy it, the game gets so much hate just for those two things, when almost everything else in the game is an improvement from Melee.

6.5/10, but I can't give .5's.
  67. Oct 21, 2014
    SSBM is a truly great game with fun and interesting gameplay, great characters and simple but amazing level design. It also has a great competitive scene. If you like fighting games, give this a try.
    I give this game Frankfurt / 10
  68. JohnG.
    Oct 3, 2002
    It's utter crap, not smooth in gameplay. Graphics could be alot better animation wise, very jerky. 2 Player crap. Don't get me wrong I own a gamecube and am a fan but not of this game!
  69. BruceC.
    Mar 6, 2002
    As a multiplayer game, it's good - but not as great as some folks say. 8/10 But as a single player game, it's really nothing special. 6/10 Average of 7/10.
  70. AlexC
    Feb 20, 2009
    Where do i begin? the one player mode is long, boring and makes no sense, and to complete that with every character would be boring as hell. Multiplayer is crap unless you have someone to play it with.
  71. JamesI.
    Jan 3, 2002
    This game is so stupid!!!
  72. MattR.
    Oct 15, 2002
    This game is just... boring. It's kinda fun with friends, but it gets old very, very fast. The whole thing feels put together by a kid who forgot to take his Ritalin, and the "secrets" are so lame they aren't worth unlocking. I really tried to like this one, but I much prefer Virtua Fighter 4.
  73. IchM.
    Feb 23, 2002
    hobs ned kspüd, ober i find des is a rießen schmorn. AUS UND GUSCH.
  74. LittleBill
    Jul 9, 2002
    Wut r those guys talking about this game is the wurst its all choppy and the guys look strait from nes do not buy this game dont even rent it.
  75. ShawnT.
    Mar 8, 2003
    It was the best game ever...then the worst game ever so i gave it a 5.
  76. IanT.
    May 4, 2006
    If you're a child, or get beaten by children on real fighters (DOA, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Killer Instinct) then you will enjoy this button masher fest. If you always destroy your friends in real fighters, then play this one with them, they will actually have a chance.
  77. JaredC.
    Jan 1, 2008
    The good news is that the gameplay is immense and the variety of characters is phenomenal as each brilliantly designed individual has their own equivalent share of combating principles, which was wonderful to expect. But the bad news ruins it all, although the gameplay was fine, each level seemed so rushed and with all the characters fighting in one woozy rushed place, Melee has nothing The good news is that the gameplay is immense and the variety of characters is phenomenal as each brilliantly designed individual has their own equivalent share of combating principles, which was wonderful to expect. But the bad news ruins it all, although the gameplay was fine, each level seemed so rushed and with all the characters fighting in one woozy rushed place, Melee has nothing to give except chaos. Expand
  78. MikeG
    Feb 3, 2008
    Overrated crap. No storyline involvement at all. It's hack and slash gameplay is horribly repetitive, and the game relies on this battle system. The gaming world is a horrible place for this game to be rated at even a B level.
  79. lopezkidkooko
    Jun 9, 2009
    ok everyone i found a new glitch! heres what you do. . be player (roy on vs mode) . get 3 lvl 9 ness's (cpu's) . now go to jungle japes and battle and u will automatically be a cpu
  80. MarkQ.
    Jan 16, 2003
    Quite possibly the most overrated game ever. Is it that Gamecube owners are so desperate for games that they inflate grades for the ones they do have? There is 0 depth and the game gets old very, very fast.
  81. DaveB.
    Nov 18, 2003
    This game is only for the really young gamecube players. This game sucks! But it's by Nintendo, so it's still 10 times better than 95% of the games out there for PS2 and X-Box. So I gave it a 5.
  82. KohakeMars
    Nov 27, 2009
    Very deep game. Great for both compedetativ and chasual play. High paced action that keeps you on your toes and an uique gameplay is what makes this game a masterpiece.
  83. May 26, 2014
    If you don't count Smash Bros. Brawl: Project M: this is the best game in the series. Mostly because of the better combat, less horrible characters (Meaning people are balanced in a good way) & less of a focus on "needing to smash, to kill" like Brawl had.
  84. Jan 26, 2014
    great game!
    fun by yourself on classic mode, adventure, all star, or even the cool special battle thingies, or with a bunch of friends in a tournament. Creative battle royale.
  85. Aug 8, 2015
    This gaem is stoopid. Its easily da worst supah smesh bras gaem EVAH! U should play gud gaems liek pokemanz red and blu not this shat. Graphics r bad, characters r stoopid, and its 2 hard 2 do Wombo combos. Evry1 knows dat brawl is 1958434474866x better than this shat.
  86. Sep 10, 2015
    quality game. better than its sequels by far. its pretty lame that you can't use the c-stick in single player modes but the game is so good that I have no choice but to give it a perfect score.
  87. Geckat
    Jun 3, 2005
    No one in their right minds could give this any lower than 10. I know people who despise everything about Nintendo, about GameCube, but they'd just as rather play this as Halo. It's infinite, and I mean that. Every single GCN owner in the entire world should own this game, because of the fact that it appeals to anyone. It becomes a bit easy after beating it for the first time, No one in their right minds could give this any lower than 10. I know people who despise everything about Nintendo, about GameCube, but they'd just as rather play this as Halo. It's infinite, and I mean that. Every single GCN owner in the entire world should own this game, because of the fact that it appeals to anyone. It becomes a bit easy after beating it for the first time, but playing with your friends or just goofing off - those'll give you memories. Who needs trampolines and treehouses??? Expand
  88. T.D.
    Jul 2, 2005
    The game is great there is plenty of action and the grafics are great but after a while it gets a little boring.
  89. davidm.
    Sep 3, 2005
    This game = fun.
  90. AgustinO.
    Jan 7, 2006
    This game kept me entertain for yours if you dont get this game then you miss on an opportunity a hours of fun, and if this game sucks so much then how come its been on one of the top game for gamecube for the past couple of years?
  91. DerekE.
    Apr 4, 2006
    This game is absolutely incredible. At first it started out as the most fun I'd ever had playing a fighting game.... but, then as you realize just how complex the game play can get when you integrate some of the secret, upper tier moves it becomes something different entirely. Seriously, if you own this game and haven't figured out the wavedashing, short hopping, and L-cancel This game is absolutely incredible. At first it started out as the most fun I'd ever had playing a fighting game.... but, then as you realize just how complex the game play can get when you integrate some of the secret, upper tier moves it becomes something different entirely. Seriously, if you own this game and haven't figured out the wavedashing, short hopping, and L-cancel (etc.) moves... do yourself a favor and google it. It transforms the game and takes it to an incredible level.... it's now possibly my favorite game of all time. I mean, I have had this for years and I still play it with friends at least 3 times a week. Expand
  92. MichaelK.
    Jun 2, 2006
    im jus gonna point this out: SSBM is one of the deepest, most creative, and funest game i hav ever played. the single player is extremely good and the multiplayer is legendary. seriously if anyone remembers Goldeneye for the n64's multiplayer, SSBM is better then that. my freinds and i play it non-stop for hours on end and were all 19. if u dont like this game u r definately a im jus gonna point this out: SSBM is one of the deepest, most creative, and funest game i hav ever played. the single player is extremely good and the multiplayer is legendary. seriously if anyone remembers Goldeneye for the n64's multiplayer, SSBM is better then that. my freinds and i play it non-stop for hours on end and were all 19. if u dont like this game u r definately a tekkenhead or a virtua fighter junkie cause u jus luv ur fighter complicated and not very fun. SSBM is a game for anyone young 7 year olds to grandparents. Expand
  93. BenF.
    Nov 1, 2007
    The greatest action game with the longest lifespan EVER!! it never gets boring, and takes ages to complete everything there is to do in the game. the amount of match awards is near endless but just one problem. pichu sucks! they should have put in a better pokemon like charmander or something. if they replaced pichu this game would be perfect!
  94. ChadE.
    Jan 11, 2002
    Could this game be any sweeter?!? The answer...NO WAY!!
  95. JamesS.
    Jan 11, 2002
    This is a must buy for the Gamecube with hundreds of secrets to unlock and collect and neverending fun.
  96. HellHaWkPOWER
    Jan 10, 2002
    What can I say but F......g A!
  97. AndrewJ.F.
    Jan 11, 2002
    I finally killed that wanker fox and his bastard friend.
  98. DominikS.
    Jan 14, 2002
    I have not played this game, because I live in Austria. But when I go to the search maschine there comes hundreds of sites about this game. I looked at this site and is this true, I can say only a WORD: PERFECT!!!!!!!!!
  99. ZiggyStardust
    Dec 13, 2002
    At 1st I thought it was a button masher fighting game. But upon further examination, it isn't. The controls may be simple, but mastering them is definately a challenge. Multi player is probably some of the most fun to be had on the gamecube. It also has detailed stat tracking. So you can see how you stack up against your friends in numerous categories. Excellent fun.

#1 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2001
#1 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2001

An exotic cocktail of entertainment for Nintendo fans, who will slurp up every last drop, and if you want to talk about longevity, I've had this game on import for about six months and I still haven't finished it.
  2. GMR Magazine
    A Nintendo fanatic's dream, if only for the exhaustive gallery of collectible Nintendorabilia. [Feb 2003, p.96]
  3. Seeing the ducks from "Duck Hunt" or the 2 dimensional Ice-climbers (also featured as playable characters) will have you praising Nintendo for their kindness in bringing back some long forgotten gaming moments.