9.1

1. Nov 8, 2013
    Well this game is different yes, the story is great, the game play too. I was about to give it a 9, but I had to give it a 10 because this is one of many few games I have played more than 2 times. I can;t say the same for it's Wii sequel, which I actually wanted to end so i could play something else.
  2. Feb 27, 2013
    Symphonia was my first experience with a tales of game. The story is nothing special but the battle system ist just awesome and fun to play. I also like the graphic style though nowadays there are games with much better cel shading graphic out there. The soundtrack does have really good battle themes. Real good one and the gamecube hasnt that much rpgs anyway.
  3. Dec 7, 2013
    Game: Tales of Symphonia
    Genre: RPG-Action
    Developer: Namco System: Nintendo Gamecube (GCN) Total Score: 88/100 Value Score: 8.8/10 • Story: 9/10 • Characters: 8/10 • GamePlay: 7/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 9/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 9/10 • Replay Value: 9/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Only Tales game on Gamecube +Decent story and characters +Well made
    Game: Tales of Symphonia
    Genre: RPG-Action
    Developer: Namco
    System: Nintendo Gamecube (GCN)
    Total Score: 88/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 9/10
    • Replay Value: 9/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +Only Tales game on Gamecube
    +Decent story and characters
    +Well made visual design
    +Voice acting well made
    +Musical score is amazing
    +Lengthy story and great replay value

Cons
    -Gameplay a bit rough and generic
    -Mechanics seem a bit slower than other Tales games
  4. Oct 27, 2012
    This is by far the best JRPG i have ever played. It has awesome characters, great story, fantastic combat system and is just overall a fantastic game experience. It also has very high replayabillity rate, being one of the only games ever, that i've wanted to play again as soon as i was done with it. The only thing that could be better about this game is if it was longer, not because it'sThis is by far the best JRPG i have ever played. It has awesome characters, great story, fantastic combat system and is just overall a fantastic game experience. It also has very high replayabillity rate, being one of the only games ever, that i've wanted to play again as soon as i was done with it. The only thing that could be better about this game is if it was longer, not because it's too short, but simply because you just want more of this amazing game. Expand
  5. Aug 10, 2013
    To put it simply, this is the FF VI/VII; the Lunar The Silver Star; the Suikoden II; the Chrono Trigger, the Xenoblade Chronicles of its own series. To put it simply, this is the best Tales Of experience there will probably ever be, and luck for everyone there's an HD remake around the corner.
  6. Jun 11, 2013
    This is my all time favorite game. The story is fantastic, the plot twists are intense. I think the best part of the game is the characters, you end up caring for them and you want them to explore their world and experience everything. If you love RPGs you'll love this game!
  7. Jul 22, 2013
    Possibly one of my favorite games of all time, Tales of Symphonia manages to excel at everything it tries to do, from the highly detailed and plot twist filled story, to the nearly perfected combat system. The story should take you around 20~40 hours on your first play through, and it is so rich with detail, you'll want to play through multiple play throughs. In Symphonia, they bring backPossibly one of my favorite games of all time, Tales of Symphonia manages to excel at everything it tries to do, from the highly detailed and plot twist filled story, to the nearly perfected combat system. The story should take you around 20~40 hours on your first play through, and it is so rich with detail, you'll want to play through multiple play throughs. In Symphonia, they bring back the Artes system reworked as Techs, and it works really well. You won't learn new Techs by only leveling up, as some skills can only be learned by using a certain skill a set amount of times, not to mention the S Type and T Type systems, branching out your skills so you'll have to do multiple playthroughs to truly get all of the Techs possible. Then, we have the EX-Skills, which are bonuses added to your character depending on the EX Gems they have equipped. Note that these gems can also change your type, making these gems invaluable. The battle system is beautiful, and the game is actually challenging! You actually need to think which party members will do the best against which bosses. You will need to think of strategies to apply to the AI so you can counter bosses with enormous effect! Speaking of AI, you aren't forced to play with them, so long as you have friends, as the game is 4-player co-op! And even if you don't have any friends to play the game with, the AI isn't bad in the slightest (aside from a few suicidal moments they have in combat) meaning that even without friends, you won't be screwed! The soundtrack, composed by the wonderful Motoi Sakuraba, is beautiful. In battle, the music always gets me pumped to fight more enemies, and in the sadder moments, it really sets the tone. Character development is great in Symphonia, as all characters have an in-game findable back story, and the plot twists really make you get to thinking as to who you can truly trust, and who is really your friend. Lastly, the puzzles. They're really clever, and they really make you think as to what the solution is. Some puzzles take about five minutes, while others may take you up to an hour to fully complete. They're really intuitive, and I love them! (Even if I get stuck on them sometimes.) All in all, this is a 10/10 game, and I completely recommend the game to any J-RPG lover, or just RPG lovers in general! Expand
  8. Oct 29, 2013
    This game tackles issues most games try to avoid and does it "Tales" style. "Friendship" is once again a big deal...again, but it is merely a peeve and does not hider the game's appeal. The game play is a strength and the story is even stronger, look no further if you want a champ, this game delivers from intro to outro.
  9. Dec 9, 2013
    einfach nur Scheiße,
    einfallsloser japan Quatsch
    den kein Mensch braucht solche Spiele gehören auf den Index,
    da sowas unsere Kinder wirklich versaut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Feb 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You must buy this game!

Tales of Symphonia was one of the first RPG's I ever played and got me hooked on the genre. The characters are well developed and interesting. The cel shaded graphics are brilliant and the gameplay is some of the best for an action RPG. I have played several other Tales games and I always find myself comparing them to this one, and they never quite get there.

The story is classic JRPG but it is very interesting as it has heavy religion based dialect (at the beginning anyway) which doesn't bore you thanks to the way the story is told. They get the mix of serious main arc and plot twists with funny conversations and running gags such as Colette always falling over and Raine slapping Llyod and Genis upside the head!

My only issues with the game are the camera only follows player 1 in battle. I am doing a co op run with a friend and he keeps getting lost off screen. The other thing is no free roam ability in battle like Vesperia and Abyss. Small details that shouldn't stop anyone playing this game.
  11. Apr 26, 2014
    I wish I could write a really articulate review...but I just love Symphonia so much! It's my favorite game ever and I find no flaws with anything in it except for the lack of voice acting in the skits. Best JRPG I've ever played.

1. Arguably the finest example ever made of the truly traditional Japanese RPG. It may be clichéd, and altogether a little too bright and happy for its own good, but Tales of Symphonia is nonetheless epic, enjoyable, and superbly constructed.
  2. It's through the amount of details, distractions and other additions to the more obvious elements that Symphonia builds itself up from what starts as an above-average RPG into one that'll stand as a benchmark in future. [Oct 2004, p.102]
  3. It's another masterpiece by Namco and a more than welcome addition to Namco's ever growing 'Tales of' series.