8.9

1. IanR.
    Jun 27, 2007
    The sailing is awful in this game. There's barely anything in the ocean to interact with, so you're mostly sailing across a big, blue oblivion trying to get to an island so hopefully you can do something interesting. The whole wind baton thing is tedious and not at all interesting or intuitive. Design-wise, it's extremely inconsistant and gameplay-wise is not very much The sailing is awful in this game. There's barely anything in the ocean to interact with, so you're mostly sailing across a big, blue oblivion trying to get to an island so hopefully you can do something interesting. The whole wind baton thing is tedious and not at all interesting or intuitive. Design-wise, it's extremely inconsistant and gameplay-wise is not very much improved over Ocarina of Time. I was just massively disappointed by this game, it's generally amazinly lackluster and doesn't deserve the praise it recieves. If you haven't checked it out yet, just give it a pass. Try Okami on the PS2 instead, it's very similar but doesn't share the majority of Wind Waker's flaws. Expand
  2. ChrisM.
    Jan 1, 2004
    After the exciting epic that was Ocarina of Time (OOT) and the fun filled Majora's Mask this game was a big dissapointment. It just failed to capture my attention like OOT did.
  3. BrianK.
    Jan 6, 2004
    I really hated this game!! I gave it a 3 because of the pretty good graphics but thats it. Too Kiddy like!!
  4. SeanO
    Jul 27, 2009
    The only Zelda game I haven't finished. The graphics were to cutesy for my taste, but if the gameplay and world detail were even half what they were in OOT it would have made up for it. A boring point A to point B railroading fest.
  5. BennettR.
    Aug 4, 2003
    Find yourself some images of the Spaceworld 2000 preview graphics. Only THEN will you be able to see what a horror this game is.
  6. Anonymousguy
    Mar 21, 2003
    Nintendo did the one thing I never thought they would do. They turned Zelda (previously a great series) into a cash-in. Nintendo has really got to get its act together before it loses all of its fans. Unless you are under the age of 7 or very immature for your age you will probably not enjoy this game.
  7. LaraL.
    Feb 20, 2003
    I LOVE Zelda games, but this one had me ticked. Seeing a cartoonish version of Link was abosolute AGONY for me. This isn't Zelda! Oh, and look, the game got a *cough* *cough* 97. WHY???
  8. JohnW.
    Aug 4, 2003
    If only link looked like he does in Soul Calibur II...
  9. LinkFan
    Aug 6, 2003
    The gameplay is simplistic and easy. The story is poor and contradicts itself and the other Zelda games, it seems to be written by someone who read up on Zelda for 2 minutes before making the story, the graphics are horrible. It's not just the graphics, this game SUCKS. maybe a 5 year old would like it.
  10. RyanH.
    Mar 7, 2003
    I played this on demo at a local game store. The sounds were annoying, as every time Link moved he made a stupid grunting sound. The graphics were too cartoony and a big turn-off. The gameplay was counter-intuitive. I will not purchase this game. The original Zelda games were not children's games. Sure, they were appropriate for Everyone, but they were not designed specifically to I played this on demo at a local game store. The sounds were annoying, as every time Link moved he made a stupid grunting sound. The graphics were too cartoony and a big turn-off. The gameplay was counter-intuitive. I will not purchase this game. The original Zelda games were not children's games. Sure, they were appropriate for Everyone, but they were not designed specifically to appeal to 8 year olds and exclude adults. This is the worst Zelda game ever, and I think its sales will reflect that. Nintendo has really lost touch. Expand
  11. AdamS.
    Poor.
  12. JamesK.
    May 25, 2005
    This game failed on every level. It was tedious and not fun. It made and my friends want to fast forward our lives inorder to get to the next fun part. the bottom line is the game is not worthy of the Zelda title. Zelda has never been such a dorky child. a child wouldn't be fighting anything except his little puppy. this little fella would be sitting sucking on his thumb if his baby This game failed on every level. It was tedious and not fun. It made and my friends want to fast forward our lives inorder to get to the next fun part. the bottom line is the game is not worthy of the Zelda title. Zelda has never been such a dorky child. a child wouldn't be fighting anything except his little puppy. this little fella would be sitting sucking on his thumb if his baby sis was captured not learning to fight, not that young at least. I have supported Nintendo for a long time, I even continued to like them after the gorrible crystal chronicles. This game was not convincing enough for me to readily suspend my disbelief. for this aggregious insult it deserves no higher than a 0. Expand
  13. Mr.Metacritic
    Jul 25, 2005
    Wins worst game ever easily!
  14. MichaelB.
    Jul 9, 2005
    While the story of this game shows promise, there are simply too many problems to be captivated. Control issues due to overly-context-sensitive buttons inhibit play and in some cases completely frustrate any logical problem-solving nature of the game. The cel-shading engine is mediocre at best, and is a large departure from Nintendo's While the story of this game shows promise, there are simply too many problems to be captivated. Control issues due to overly-context-sensitive buttons inhibit play and in some cases completely frustrate any logical problem-solving nature of the game. The cel-shading engine is mediocre at best, and is a large departure from Nintendo's "not-pushing-the-envelope-but-perfect-for-the-game" reputation. The lack of a dedicated jump button and difficulties in both camera and targeting seriously diminish the fun of this game. If you can look past the camera, graphics, and controls, this is a fun platformer-rpg. But that's a mighty big if. Expand
  15. TheronD.
    Apr 1, 2003
    To put it kindly, everybody is brainwashed. The story was almost good but once again it doesn't make sense according to the past ones. Ocarina of Time made the most sense out of them all and Majora's mask barely made it. When I play a game I feel like I'm reading a book. Now, I have to say that the story had potential, but the Cel shading made me loose complete faith in it. To put it kindly, everybody is brainwashed. The story was almost good but once again it doesn't make sense according to the past ones. Ocarina of Time made the most sense out of them all and Majora's mask barely made it. When I play a game I feel like I'm reading a book. Now, I have to say that the story had potential, but the Cel shading made me loose complete faith in it. Instead of feeling like I was reading a great fanasty like The Lord of the Rings, I felt like I was reading a childrens book. The original Space World 2000 was on the right track. The only way I can get my fix is by playing Smash Bros. Melee. Collapse
  16. BobS.
    May 13, 2003
    I've loved the other zelda games but they shouldn't have cell shaded this game. Link doesn't look good as a cartoon.
  17. Jason
    Jul 11, 2003
    Didnt really appeal to me at all in the way previous ones have. the plot was typical, and the movie sequences and the ending was very childish. I didn't think it was all that difficult like previous ones we're. My suggestion is if your looking for a game that has a more grown up feel look elseware. That E for everyone all ages is exactly what it stands for...
  18. JayB.
    Sep 28, 2003
    Even if this game had the best graphics in the world, this would probably be one of the most overrated, poorly designed games I have ever bought in my life, being made only as a result of the publicity and money made from Ocarina of Time. Stop giving this sorry game pity votes!
  19. DanielK.
    Aug 18, 2004
    This game sucks compared to Ocarina of time. OOT is like a classic and this just sucks.
  20. ShaneS.
    May 12, 2006
    This game is highly overrated. It's got six dungeons, a teeny tiny little gameworld made to look big thanks to the ocean, and half the quests of OOT. The music is good, the graphics are good, but the game is short, and merely a half done clone of Oot.
  21. JackB.
    Aug 22, 2007
    What is wrong with everybody? These reviews are terrible! This has got to be the worst game I've ever played. I find myself getting addicted to video games, but this is the first time a game caused more impatience and stress than a day job! Constant sailing, ridiculously easy bosses and dungeons, beyond stupid story. I might be biased because of my expectations from Ocarina of Time, What is wrong with everybody? These reviews are terrible! This has got to be the worst game I've ever played. I find myself getting addicted to video games, but this is the first time a game caused more impatience and stress than a day job! Constant sailing, ridiculously easy bosses and dungeons, beyond stupid story. I might be biased because of my expectations from Ocarina of Time, but I have every right to have high hopes for a game with a label of Zelda on it. Seriously, how much did Nintendo pay off these game reviewers to suck up to Miyamoto? Expand
  22. JaiDave
    Dec 3, 2003
    [***SPOILER***] This game was a big disappointment to me. I am a very big Zelda fan from way back and have closely followed the story from nearly of all the games until now. The graphics were terrible considering they were planning to originally make the game with graphics like "Ocarina of Time". Instead, they decided to make the game very cartoonish and child-like, which is reflected in[***SPOILER***] This game was a big disappointment to me. I am a very big Zelda fan from way back and have closely followed the story from nearly of all the games until now. The graphics were terrible considering they were planning to originally make the game with graphics like "Ocarina of Time". Instead, they decided to make the game very cartoonish and child-like, which is reflected in the graphics of the game. Imagine how great it would be if they actually made the game with Gamecube graphics similar to the "Ocarina of Time". If you want a comparison, just look for "Zelda 128" and compare the graphics in the demo with the actually graphics of the finished product. Very disappointing indeed. Secondly, the plot of the game was horrific and seemed highly unrealistic and nearly impossible. I mean come on, do you really believe that Link would not show up to challenge Gannon? Of course Link would show up! Even at the very end of the game, the story does not make any sense. GAME ENDING SPOILER: Why would the King of Hyrule want to wish that his kingdom remain at the bottom of the ocean? He got to the Triforce first, and he could have wished for anything in the universe, but no, he had to wish for hyrule to remain submerged under the ocean instead of wishing for Gannon to be destroyed and Hyrule to live on forever. He could even wish for Gannon to be sealed away with a special power emitted from seven magical objects and then have them scattered all around the world so that Nintendo could make another game. END OF SPOILER: Third, the gameplay was VERY monotonous. Having to hit your weapon's teacher 500 times with your sword to gain a measly Heart Piece is not my idea of a fun time. If that wasn't bad enough, you have to put up with the countless hours sailing around the world, because 99% of the world is water and the other 1% is composed of scattered islands on the world map. Fourth, the music was mediocre. There was little variety in the various musical themes of the game. There wasn't the same amount of emotional intensity in the music as there was in previous games like "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" or "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past". Lastly, the fun factor of the game dropped like a lead weight in water compared to the previous Zelda games. It was a refreshing relief when I played "A Link to the Past" after this game because "A Link to the Past" was so much more fun than this poorly made game. And this game became Game of the Year? Something is definitely not right here. If you are a true Zelda fan and have been playing Zelda games for as long as I have, you will feel cheated after you purchase this game. I feel like I have just spent $50 for nothing. Shiguru Miamoto definitely needs to wake up and see what has become of one of the best video game characters of all time (the best is Chrono from "Chrono Trigger") and make serious ammends for this awful game before this gamer will touch another Zelda game. Expand
  23. OmegaB.
    Feb 22, 2003
    I can't believe this......... they could have made this game look so awsome! i mean...........wtf is nintendo thinking!? It looks like they designed the game for 6 year old kids......... NINTENDO, you guys better get your act together or i forsee gamecube not making it to gamecube 2. Thank God i bought a Ps2 instead! I mean i was gonna get a GC (just for Zelda)...... i'm glad i I can't believe this......... they could have made this game look so awsome! i mean...........wtf is nintendo thinking!? It looks like they designed the game for 6 year old kids......... NINTENDO, you guys better get your act together or i forsee gamecube not making it to gamecube 2. Thank God i bought a Ps2 instead! I mean i was gonna get a GC (just for Zelda)...... i'm glad i didn't! Expand
  24. JamieB.
    Feb 23, 2003
    Ok so it has a good story etc and good gameplay, however they could have made the game look far better than this, i just cant see the reasoning for the new look? which in my opinion the looks play a mager role and in basic terms this just looks shite and could only appeal to an audience below the age factor of around 7.
  25. Dackbar
    Mar 15, 2003
    I am over the age of 12, so this game is not made for me. It has some good ideas so I gave it a 1. Other then that the game is just Dorra the Explorer back pack adventures but on the gamecube.
  26. BryanM.
    May 16, 2007
    Crap, just crap. this game is a rip off. first the cartoon link stinks.lf i was you i would save my $20 and buy a 64 and get Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

1. 10 / 10 / 10/ 10 - 40 platinum
    When one picks up the controller, the ability to step into that time and place (never more hauntingly beautiful than in this latest instalment) never loses its allure. Even the most hardened of cynics would have to admit that this title is something else entirely. It's the stuff of dreams. [JPN Import]
    Simply a stunning, magical game.