6.9

1. Sep 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is another extremely good Spider-Man video game. Spider-Man has always been my favorite comic book superhero, and this one captures the world of the comics excellently. The gameplay is the same as Spider-Man 2 the game. This is not to say it is bad, because it is quite good. This game is another free-roamer in which you play as Spider-Man, fight crime, and do story missions. However, this game also has a small twist. Spider-Man isn't the only playable character in this game. You can also play as Spidey's old foe Venom, and go on a rampage. So now you can play as both a hero and a villain in this amazing game. There aren't any buildings that you can go into like in Spider-Man 2, but that doesn't change how awesome the gameplay is. Actually, the gameplay does still have problems. For one thing, it's really hard when compared to Spider-Man 2. Spider-Man 2 was pretty much average at all with the story missions and crimes, but Ultimate Spider-Man shows no mercy. There are several annoying doors you have to open by hammering the R and L buttons which can get really annoying fast. Also, the amount of time you have to complete certain missions isn't as generous. I know it's unfair to judge a game by difficulty alone, but this game is hard compared to its predecessor. As for the graphics, they're still on the decent side, but are better than Spider-Man 2. Instead of trying to be realistic, they look more like a comic book. In other words, the graphics are cartoony instead of realistic. However, the best thing about this game overall is the story. The story is the same as one of the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, and they chose a really good story too. It's the story of how Peter Parker (Spider-Man), and Eddie Brock's (Venom) parents were working on a cure for cancer. After they died in a plane crash, Peter and Eddie wanted to continue from where they left off. They created a suit that they thought would cure cancer, and Peter decided to try it. This magnified his Spider-powers, but also his anger. Peter then destroyed the suit, deciding it was too dangerous. Eddie then found out who Peter really was, and used the chemicals on himself to become Venom. That was just the beginning of the whole thing. Overall, Ultimate Spider-Man is one of the best superhero games I've ever played. Expand
  2. May 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of my favorite Spider-Man games of all time. The gameplay is very similar to Spider-Man 2 (which is a game I love dearly) and you get to play as Venom, who is my favorite Spidey villain ever. I love feeding on people and destroying cars as Venom and I really like unlocking cool costumes (although I never unlocked the black suit for Spider-Man). The boss battles are great. You get to fight Venom four times and you also get to fight Electro and Carnage. Expand
  3. Sep 7, 2013
    The storyline is super short, a little lame, but gameplay is solid. Webslinging could probably not have been any better. I didn't enjoy the game for the story/missions though. The races, slinging through the cities, hitting all the marks, I never beat even one insane race, they were well.. insane! Awesome game, have now owned it 3 seperate times.

1. Ultimate Spider-Man may look very stylish and visually capture the essence of a comic perfectly, but the gameplay feels like a swing backwards in almost every department.
  2. Did a purse-holder at Activision one day grapple fruitlessly with the last game's control system and scrawl in their subsequent notes "Make the next one so that I can play it"? Speculation aside, someone sure messed-up Spider-Man. [Dec 2005, p.108]
    A vibrant, eye-popping superhero disc that has more style, wit and compelling gameplay in its first 10 minutes than most games have in their entirety.