8.3

1. iguanaman
    Oct 19, 2007
    An intensly beautiful and innovative experience and a perfect example that console sidescrollers are far from dead.
  2. AlexD.
    Oct 10, 2003
    The quintiessential videogame.
  3. JoeV.
    Nov 3, 2003
    Buy it now, play it forever.
    May 10, 2004
    This is one of the most entertaining games I've ever played.
  5. ViewtifiedE.
    Oct 1, 2003
    We gamers haven't seen a 2-D game with such a unique innovative twist since the 3-D era, thats why this game is a MUST HAVE!
  6. JoeyDeA.
    Oct 10, 2003
    Down right addicting and original! The combos would make Neo jealous!
  7. BrandonM.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Perfection. Sheer beatemup perfection. Not much more to say, really. BUY. THIS. GAME.
  8. RyanT.
    Oct 16, 2003
    This game is so cool. Go buy it now.
  9. BenR.
    Oct 17, 2003
    This is game is awesome i just beat it on kids, and its not one of those games that gets boring, so im tackling adult mode now.
  10. StevenH.
    Oct 18, 2003
    This game brings GC 100% to life the graphics and cel shading is what make this game unique. Whats your start using joes special moves theres no stopping you!
  11. JoeD.
    Dec 15, 2003
    In an age obsessed with photo realistic graphics, Its great to see a developper take a chance and come up with such a brilliant title. Gorgeous visuals, challenging and intuitive gameplay, and combos that would make Neo piss his pants. For god's sake, you can slow down time and bunch bullets back at whoever's trying to cap you. Buy Vjoe, you won't regret it.
  12. PaulY.
    Oct 2, 2003
    I played the demo and this game will rock!
  13. HenryS.
    Oct 4, 2003
    This game is awsome...from the cool 2d effects 2 the gameplay...you'll have tons of fun.
  14. LivianoC.
    Sep 19, 2003
    This game is pure genious!
  15. IanC.
    Apr 27, 2004
    Magnificent. Old school platform fun, wonderful rapid kung-fu antics, astounding graphics and the time control is, well, spectacular and spectularly entertaining to make use of. What could turn into stayed, boring little scraps can become awe-inspiring mini-epics, particularly when you tune your fingers to the intuitive controls (netjak - more time spent on a game before you damn it on Magnificent. Old school platform fun, wonderful rapid kung-fu antics, astounding graphics and the time control is, well, spectacular and spectularly entertaining to make use of. What could turn into stayed, boring little scraps can become awe-inspiring mini-epics, particularly when you tune your fingers to the intuitive controls (netjak - more time spent on a game before you damn it on this level please) and can lay waste to a single group of bad guys with an eye-watering combination of slow mo bullet-time style flipping and kicking, a high-speed torrent on fast-forward and finishing off with a zoom in and super 360 degree kick! This game is EXACTLY what I love Nintendo for - fun fun and fun. Hesitate not, buy now. Oh yes, and please confine this 'Mario for President/Prime Minister/King of World' baby-talk nonsense to the schoolyard. Expand
  16. Lily
    Jul 27, 2004
    What is up with netjak.com? 55?! What morons. This game rocks! It's sooo much fun and the graphics are beautiful.
  17. MichaelC.
    Sep 22, 2006
    When I beat it on the hardest difficulty setting, I got a sense of pride that no game has ever awarded me, it took me 1 month to beet a game that last up to 8 hours, thats how tough it was. Although the game is short it has an insane amount of replay, it was the first game I've ever gotten obsessed with. If you own the cube, get this game.
  18. CurtisH.
    Nov 22, 2003
    Not since Jet Grind Radio has cel-shading melded so perfectly in this game's "movie world" environment. It's a comic book you can play and a great action flick peppered with humor and innovation. Viewtiful Joe redefines the side-scroller genre and gives future games of its genre a very high bar to aim for. Run out and buy this game now. Show all your friends! This game, simply, Not since Jet Grind Radio has cel-shading melded so perfectly in this game's "movie world" environment. It's a comic book you can play and a great action flick peppered with humor and innovation. Viewtiful Joe redefines the side-scroller genre and gives future games of its genre a very high bar to aim for. Run out and buy this game now. Show all your friends! This game, simply, kicks much ass. Collapse
  19. SteveE.
    Nov 28, 2003
    This is a capcom classic with old school gameplay and next gen graphics.
  20. J.G.
    Nov 6, 2003
    This game will rock you!!! It's one of those games that are rare to its genre and all of Joe's powers...
  21. VanillaGamer
    Oct 16, 2003
    A fantastic game from start to finish, Viewtiful Joe is the best video game experience to come along since Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
  22. RyanG.
    Aug 20, 2003
    Its ok nothing to go Gaa-Gaa over.
  23. ZudyThedestroyer
    Jan 5, 2005
    Way overrated. There are serious flaws with this game. It's difficulty is more than annoying, and eventually you'll just find yourself zooming in, slowing down, and hitting X over and over. What kind of gameplay is that?
  24. JasonC.
    Jun 14, 2007
    Although unique in it's visual style, this overrated title is a clunker to play. Some reviews have said this game is humourous, but I don't get it.
  25. StuartL.
    Jan 3, 2005
    This game is highly overrated. The graphics look like crap, the control scheme is okay, the plot is bland, and the game is far too repetitive, with each level being more or less the same thing. Also, the abilities are introduced way too early in the game, leading to everything after a certain point being the same exact thing with few variations in puzzles. Don't believe anything you This game is highly overrated. The graphics look like crap, the control scheme is okay, the plot is bland, and the game is far too repetitive, with each level being more or less the same thing. Also, the abilities are introduced way too early in the game, leading to everything after a certain point being the same exact thing with few variations in puzzles. Don't believe anything you hear about this game. Give it a rental at least, but I don't think it's worth even that. Expand
  26. DemonicAngel
    Feb 6, 2005
    Good Points: The graphics are very stylish, using cel-shading to great effect. Sound is pretty good, with decent voice acting and effects. Gameplay is, initially at least, good fun. -- Bad Points: After the first level (and for the record I've not gotten past the second level) it all falls apart. All your abilities have already been introduced, and the difficulty increases to a level Good Points: The graphics are very stylish, using cel-shading to great effect. Sound is pretty good, with decent voice acting and effects. Gameplay is, initially at least, good fun. -- Bad Points: After the first level (and for the record I've not gotten past the second level) it all falls apart. All your abilities have already been introduced, and the difficulty increases to a level that is frankly excessive and frustrating, leaving you with very little incentive to play any further. But then, you may enjoy games that make you repeat the same section over and over just to make progress. I, personally, prefer enjoyment over frustration. Try before you buy. Expand
  27. TheSkipperJ
    Mar 10, 2005
    This game is pretty creative, and the bosses are pretty neat. However, it becomes incredibly redundant after a short period of time. I found this game on sale for 20 dollars, and can honestly say it wasn't worth it. i'm over halfway through the game, and I don;t even have any initiative to complete it. This game is flamboyantly overrated.
  28. MicMath
    Dec 12, 2003
    My brother thinks it's so cool, but I like yoshi and mario better! Mario for President!
  29. WilliamH.
    Oct 8, 2003
    It's about we see an evolution in the beat em up genre.
  30. RasheemoO.
    Aug 20, 2003
    The videos look awesome, this game has interesting features, I can't wait!
  31. JohnL.
    Dec 20, 2003
    God bless Capcom...this game is the reason why i buy video games.
  32. JordanB.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Awesome game. It's a game that takes the fun of retro beat-em-up games and modern graphics and gameplay to make a great game. No one should overlook this game, because it is rare and the people at Nintendo took a huge chance on such a unique game that will probably not make them a huge profit. Everyone should support this game and its beauty and go out and buy it now.
  33. JonT.
    Oct 5, 2003
    Sheer beauty.
  34. PereP.
    Sep 27, 2003
    Original, fun, long, and challenging. It has everything for a great single player experience.
  35. DanielM.
    Nov 9, 2004
    Original and entertaining game.
  36. lala
    Jan 27, 2004
    The best fighting game i've ever seen.
  37. JohnB.
    Jan 31, 2004
    I guess it's ok...but it's one of the most creative games on gamecube so far. And it's definitely better than many of the games I have been playing on gamcube so far. It's good, however, to know that Nintendo still has something going on inside their heads.
  38. MarkR.
    Mar 16, 2004
    The graphics are truly stylish- yet outlandish in the extreme- it's a pity the same lavish detail was not put into the game's mechanics- I found this to be an average platformer with few quirks to keep me happy.
  39. IrvinR.
    Mar 18, 2004
    This is hot.
  40. AlastorBladeMaster
    May 11, 2004
    This is my all time favorite Gamecube game, its got the coolest graphics, the characters are so well done and have great personality, even the dialouge is entertaining and I would suggest it to any gamer, VJ ROCKS !
  41. SeppoK.
    Apr 12, 2005
    Viewtiful game.
  42. DanA.
    Dec 20, 2006
    As close to perfect as you can get. Just missing some of that magic, Viewtiful Joe is a beautiful, amazing game. I remember playing a demo and getting sucked into that to the point where I played the level about 5, maybe 6 times over again. Viewtiful Joe is a must buy. Not just for Gamecube owners, but for any serious gamer out there.
  43. PekkaP.
    Jun 5, 2006
    Great, challenging and viewtiful looking game. Only bad points being the uninteresting story, non-funny dialogues and the lack of subtitles.
  44. JogiL.
    Aug 1, 2006
    As I started playing the game I felt interested by what seemed to be a refreshing idea. But it didn't take long to realize that even though it is far more innovative than an average game (which is good), the gameplay is extremely repetitive and fighting is based on repeating the same moves over and over again. If it were beneficial to use different superpowers all the time to get the As I started playing the game I felt interested by what seemed to be a refreshing idea. But it didn't take long to realize that even though it is far more innovative than an average game (which is good), the gameplay is extremely repetitive and fighting is based on repeating the same moves over and over again. If it were beneficial to use different superpowers all the time to get the best results, it would be far far more satisfying. And when you add the tedious puzzles that even sometimes lack logic, the annoyingly quiet dialogue and other flaws in design, the personal touch just doesn't save it from its shortcomings. I would give it a 4, but I have to give one extra point for its personal touch, therefore: 5/10. Expand
  45. AndrewC.
    Jan 10, 2007
    As far as action games go, Viewtiful Joe is a really fresh, original, and freakin' challenging game. It combines old school 2D action with slick 3D graphics. Also, it has loads of innovative moves and puzzles, as well as creative stages and bosses. But its difficulty level should be noted. It's hard, but very, very rewarding. Remember that when it starts kicking your butt over, As far as action games go, Viewtiful Joe is a really fresh, original, and freakin' challenging game. It combines old school 2D action with slick 3D graphics. Also, it has loads of innovative moves and puzzles, as well as creative stages and bosses. But its difficulty level should be noted. It's hard, but very, very rewarding. Remember that when it starts kicking your butt over, and over and over. (and over and over...) One of the best action games of this generation. Expand
  46. Sophie
    Aug 16, 2007
    This is one of the most compulsive and addicting games I've played for years. Original graphics, gameplay, characters, I honestly can't reccommend it enough. I will warn that it can be VERY difficult.
  47. MikkoL.
    Nov 10, 2003
    Incredibly stylish, astoundingly fun, superbly viewtiful. VJ is most likely the Game of the Year for me. Not buying this shining pearl is a damn big mistake.
  48. CalvinO.
    Nov 14, 2003
    This Game is one of the most fun cartoonish action fighting games that u can ever buy at the moment, my big hint, BUY THE GAME AND LET YouR LIFE BE EASY GOIN'.
  49. BarrettE.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Phenomenal, as you can see from all the 100 scores posted from the REAL critics. Speaking of which, dont you think that with that many high scores, you can omit the obvious messup? From ... who the heck is netjak? That score brought the entire score down considerably! Get rid of it!
  50. DRworm
    Sep 25, 2003
    You're nothing to go gaa-gaa over.
  51. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Feb 15, 2004
    My 2nd favorite cube ever! Only topped by Wind Waker.The graphics are the greatest the VFX moves are sweet it's fun totally. It is sometimes too tough/easy.Nuff' said.
  52. ChristopherS.
    Mar 13, 2004
    This game is awesome! I almost beat it already.
  53. Nono
    Jul 24, 2004
    This game is really fun, but a way to hard.
  54. KevinA.
    Nov 28, 2003
    A masterpiece! Brilliant!
  55. White_lighterScott
    Dec 14, 2003
    Ok this game is good, but it is not worth 9 or 10. for starters the game is incredible graphically Cell shading is a common thing lately but this game pulls it off on so many different levels, the control system is a dream, the way you pull off "Viewtiful" stylish moves is great and it is all done from pressing a sequence of four buttons, my little sister was pulling off moves that just Ok this game is good, but it is not worth 9 or 10. for starters the game is incredible graphically Cell shading is a common thing lately but this game pulls it off on so many different levels, the control system is a dream, the way you pull off "Viewtiful" stylish moves is great and it is all done from pressing a sequence of four buttons, my little sister was pulling off moves that just looked so damn cool. the reason this game does not get a full ten is.........*pauses while people boo*....it is very repetative, i am begining to find it a little boring to pull off the "viewtiful" moves all the time, and the other reason it does not get a ten is.....the game is very difficult for the first 3/4 levels the first level 3 hits and you are dead. Don't get me wrong after 20 mins of playing you get the hang of it but when you are at the boss and you lose all your lifes and you have to start right back at the beggining of the level it gets very tedius. overall this game is worth buying or renting a gamecube for. Expand
  56. Mar 2, 2012
    This is an original game but some of the controls were too complex to be fun. Many people will never complete this one as some of the later stages were hell. Repeated attempts and long breaks in gaming (years) will not have you wanting more Viewtiful Joe. Beat'em ups or button mashers should have more fun things to do and collect and leave you with pleasant memories. This is one case whereThis is an original game but some of the controls were too complex to be fun. Many people will never complete this one as some of the later stages were hell. Repeated attempts and long breaks in gaming (years) will not have you wanting more Viewtiful Joe. Beat'em ups or button mashers should have more fun things to do and collect and leave you with pleasant memories. This is one case where the sound, attitude, and exploding cartoon graphics, main character's voice and higher difficulty made it very annoying and ultimately loses most of its replay appeal. This game wears on you. The character of viewtiful joe only runs through and kills people and there is no personal touch to this one. It starts out fun, but fastly becomes an annoyance to play like many B-grade Sega Genesis games of similar style (comix zone). If a game does not motivate me to keep playing year after year I can't give it a score in the green zone. This one would best be a rental or a cheap purchase even though I did not experience any bugs and the graphics were nice. Its playable but not a classic. Expand
  57. Dec 11, 2011
    A great beat em up. This one is still fun to go back and play through every once in a while. The time effects (speed up, speed down, etc.) are well implemented and provide a unique experience that you're not going to find in another game, as well as having stunning visual effects.
  58. Apr 26, 2011
    Viewtiful Joe blends console sidescrolling with 3-D visuals, making for one of the best games of 2003. Pros: Beautiful graphics elevate its immensely unique console sidescrolling gameplay; kick-ass special attacks; lots of unlockables. Cons: Some repetitive combat and boss battles.
  59. Aug 3, 2013
    A 2D scrolling beat 'em up Viewtiful Joe is absolutely fantastic when in full flow. Leaping around defeating enemies ranging from killer robots to missile firing helicopters utilising Joe's superhuman abilities is what gaming is all about. In fact the core gameplay is so good that its even worth putting up with the extreme difficulty spikes encountered when tackling one or two of theA 2D scrolling beat 'em up Viewtiful Joe is absolutely fantastic when in full flow. Leaping around defeating enemies ranging from killer robots to missile firing helicopters utilising Joe's superhuman abilities is what gaming is all about. In fact the core gameplay is so good that its even worth putting up with the extreme difficulty spikes encountered when tackling one or two of the bosses.

Unfortunately the final section of the game is totally ruined by the creators decision to bring back each of said bosses one after the other with no check points in between. To this day I have never completed the game as a result but I'm still glad I played it.
  60. May 28, 2012
    This game was okay pissed me of tho. It's really hard. C.
  61. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is still in my top 5 favorite games all time...the story, the action, the tight controls, the gorgeous environments and over the top feel all contribute to make this game an absolute must play!

1. As great as the visual package is, the audio package delivers just as well. The voice acting does wonders with the well-written and witty script and the sound effects all feel just perfect.
  2. Games as stylistically compelling as Viewtiful Joe don’t come around often. Thankfully, it has the gameplay to back it up, so Gamecube owners with a taste for action should definitely pick it up. It might require superhuman gaming skills, but who said life as a hero was easy?
  3. Joe is a bit stingy on save points, causing you to repeat parts of the same level over and over (and over), but thanks to its gorgeous visuals, you'll never tire of this View. [21 Nov 2003, p.L2T 46]