Viewtiful Joe GameCube

8.3

1. RyanG.
    Aug 20, 2003
    Its ok nothing to go Gaa-Gaa over.
  2. ZudyThedestroyer
    Jan 5, 2005
    Way overrated. There are serious flaws with this game. It's difficulty is more than annoying, and eventually you'll just find yourself zooming in, slowing down, and hitting X over and over. What kind of gameplay is that?
  3. DemonicAngel
    Feb 6, 2005
    Good Points: The graphics are very stylish, using cel-shading to great effect. Sound is pretty good, with decent voice acting and effects. Gameplay is, initially at least, good fun. -- Bad Points: After the first level (and for the record I've not gotten past the second level) it all falls apart. All your abilities have already been introduced, and the difficulty increases to a level Good Points: The graphics are very stylish, using cel-shading to great effect. Sound is pretty good, with decent voice acting and effects. Gameplay is, initially at least, good fun. -- Bad Points: After the first level (and for the record I've not gotten past the second level) it all falls apart. All your abilities have already been introduced, and the difficulty increases to a level that is frankly excessive and frustrating, leaving you with very little incentive to play any further. But then, you may enjoy games that make you repeat the same section over and over just to make progress. I, personally, prefer enjoyment over frustration. Try before you buy. Expand
  4. JohnB.
    Jan 31, 2004
    I guess it's ok...but it's one of the most creative games on gamecube so far. And it's definitely better than many of the games I have been playing on gamcube so far. It's good, however, to know that Nintendo still has something going on inside their heads.
  5. MarkR.
    Mar 16, 2004
    The graphics are truly stylish- yet outlandish in the extreme- it's a pity the same lavish detail was not put into the game's mechanics- I found this to be an average platformer with few quirks to keep me happy.
  6. JogiL.
    Aug 1, 2006
    As I started playing the game I felt interested by what seemed to be a refreshing idea. But it didn't take long to realize that even though it is far more innovative than an average game (which is good), the gameplay is extremely repetitive and fighting is based on repeating the same moves over and over again. If it were beneficial to use different superpowers all the time to get the As I started playing the game I felt interested by what seemed to be a refreshing idea. But it didn't take long to realize that even though it is far more innovative than an average game (which is good), the gameplay is extremely repetitive and fighting is based on repeating the same moves over and over again. If it were beneficial to use different superpowers all the time to get the best results, it would be far far more satisfying. And when you add the tedious puzzles that even sometimes lack logic, the annoyingly quiet dialogue and other flaws in design, the personal touch just doesn't save it from its shortcomings. I would give it a 4, but I have to give one extra point for its personal touch, therefore: 5/10. Expand
  7. Nono
    Jul 24, 2004
    This game is really fun, but a way to hard.
  8. Mar 2, 2012
    This is an original game but some of the controls were too complex to be fun. Many people will never complete this one as some of the later stages were hell. Repeated attempts and long breaks in gaming (years) will not have you wanting more Viewtiful Joe. Beat'em ups or button mashers should have more fun things to do and collect and leave you with pleasant memories. This is one case whereThis is an original game but some of the controls were too complex to be fun. Many people will never complete this one as some of the later stages were hell. Repeated attempts and long breaks in gaming (years) will not have you wanting more Viewtiful Joe. Beat'em ups or button mashers should have more fun things to do and collect and leave you with pleasant memories. This is one case where the sound, attitude, and exploding cartoon graphics, main character's voice and higher difficulty made it very annoying and ultimately loses most of its replay appeal. This game wears on you. The character of viewtiful joe only runs through and kills people and there is no personal touch to this one. It starts out fun, but fastly becomes an annoyance to play like many B-grade Sega Genesis games of similar style (comix zone). If a game does not motivate me to keep playing year after year I can't give it a score in the green zone. This one would best be a rental or a cheap purchase even though I did not experience any bugs and the graphics were nice. Its playable but not a classic. Expand
  9. Aug 3, 2013
    A 2D scrolling beat 'em up Viewtiful Joe is absolutely fantastic when in full flow. Leaping around defeating enemies ranging from killer robots to missile firing helicopters utilising Joe's superhuman abilities is what gaming is all about. In fact the core gameplay is so good that its even worth putting up with the extreme difficulty spikes encountered when tackling one or two of theA 2D scrolling beat 'em up Viewtiful Joe is absolutely fantastic when in full flow. Leaping around defeating enemies ranging from killer robots to missile firing helicopters utilising Joe's superhuman abilities is what gaming is all about. In fact the core gameplay is so good that its even worth putting up with the extreme difficulty spikes encountered when tackling one or two of the bosses.

Unfortunately the final section of the game is totally ruined by the creators decision to bring back each of said bosses one after the other with no check points in between. To this day I have never completed the game as a result but I'm still glad I played it.
  10. May 28, 2012
    This game was okay pissed me of tho. It's really hard. C.

#4 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2003
#9 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2003

1. As great as the visual package is, the audio package delivers just as well. The voice acting does wonders with the well-written and witty script and the sound effects all feel just perfect.
  2. Games as stylistically compelling as Viewtiful Joe don’t come around often. Thankfully, it has the gameplay to back it up, so Gamecube owners with a taste for action should definitely pick it up. It might require superhuman gaming skills, but who said life as a hero was easy?
  3. Entertainment Weekly
    Joe is a bit stingy on save points, causing you to repeat parts of the same level over and over (and over), but thanks to its gorgeous visuals, you'll never tire of this View. [21 Nov 2003, p.L2T 46]