8.5

1. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is still in my top 5 favorite games all time...the story, the action, the tight controls, the gorgeous environments and over the top feel all contribute to make this game an absolute must play!
  2. Aug 3, 2013
    A 2D scrolling beat 'em up Viewtiful Joe is absolutely fantastic when in full flow. Leaping around defeating enemies ranging from killer robots to missile firing helicopters utilising Joe's superhuman abilities is what gaming is all about. In fact the core gameplay is so good that its even worth putting up with the extreme difficulty spikes encountered when tackling one or two of the bosses.

Unfortunately the final section of the game is totally ruined by the creators decision to bring back each of said bosses one after the other with no check points in between. To this day I have never completed the game as a result but I'm still glad I played it.
  3. May 28, 2012
    This game was okay pissed me of tho. It's really hard. C.
  4. Mar 2, 2012
    This is an original game but some of the controls were too complex to be fun. Many people will never complete this one as some of the later stages were hell. Repeated attempts and long breaks in gaming (years) will not have you wanting more Viewtiful Joe. Beat'em ups or button mashers should have more fun things to do and collect and leave you with pleasant memories. This is one case where the sound, attitude, and exploding cartoon graphics, main character's voice and higher difficulty made it very annoying and ultimately loses most of its replay appeal. This game wears on you. The character of viewtiful joe only runs through and kills people and there is no personal touch to this one. It starts out fun, but fastly becomes an annoyance to play like many B-grade Sega Genesis games of similar style (comix zone). If a game does not motivate me to keep playing year after year I can't give it a score in the green zone. This one would best be a rental or a cheap purchase even though I did not experience any bugs and the graphics were nice. Its playable but not a classic. Expand
  5. Dec 11, 2011
    A great beat em up. This one is still fun to go back and play through every once in a while. The time effects (speed up, speed down, etc.) are well implemented and provide a unique experience that you're not going to find in another game, as well as having stunning visual effects.
  6. Apr 26, 2011
    Viewtiful Joe blends console sidescrolling with 3-D visuals, making for one of the best games of 2003. Pros: Beautiful graphics elevate its immensely unique console sidescrolling gameplay; kick-ass special attacks; lots of unlockables. Cons: Some repetitive combat and boss battles.

1. As great as the visual package is, the audio package delivers just as well. The voice acting does wonders with the well-written and witty script and the sound effects all feel just perfect.
  2. Games as stylistically compelling as Viewtiful Joe don’t come around often. Thankfully, it has the gameplay to back it up, so Gamecube owners with a taste for action should definitely pick it up. It might require superhuman gaming skills, but who said life as a hero was easy?
  3. Joe is a bit stingy on save points, causing you to repeat parts of the same level over and over (and over), but thanks to its gorgeous visuals, you'll never tire of this View. [21 Nov 2003, p.L2T 46]