WWE Day of Reckoning GameCube

• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Aug 30, 2004
9.1

1. Nov 9, 2014
    I am The Destroyer. I will break games, complain about the littlest detail, and tell you whether or not the game is worth buying. A lot of things to say here, but can't due to the 5000 character limit.

The user score has been trolled -- not by me, but by others. The evidence is by clicking on the other reviewers profiles (which you can't by the way). Amazing how fake accounts can really shine a rating! Anyway, I'm not here to talk about that. I'm here to talk about WWE Day of Reckoning! And wow, it's an epic trash dump! Epic because you know you wanna see it, and it's cool at first. But then it begins to ruin itself after 10 hours of gameplay.

1. Story
    The story looks beautiful. But does it stay that way? **** no! It opens up with you having to create your character, because the game won't let you take a pre-made superstar into the story. You start off in the jobbers league, off television, doing dark matches, and gradually working your way up until you are promoted enough for some airtime. Now that sounds cool! But after you get halfway through the story, you'll begin to notice that the story given doesn't really involve you at all. It's just one big giant gauntlet of matches with an objective every now and then, sugar-coated by a pitiful story and unnecessary cut-scenes. The game's roster is so small that you wind up wrestling the same guy 5 times, sometimes 3 times in a row. Your character doesn't grow any testicles until near the end -- which you'll have to play the entire story to understand what that means. You make only one decision in this story, and that's it.
    Now the story itself does contain elements that will make you wanna keep playing. You'll be hung in suspense many times, and will wanna find out what happens next week. However, for reasons stated above, the replay value is greatly penalized. Criticism has been earned.

2. Graphics and Visuals
    The graphics, though not at their best for 2004, are still pretty good. The animations of all moves are amazing to watch. And the visuals after a weapon breaks will be unsuspecting.

3. Gameplay
    Gameplay refers to combat & matches, and customization. Put it all together and it's below average!

-Combat-
    The wrestling's Quick Grapple and Strong Grapple moves deserves phrase because it opens up many combing possibilities. The high-flying moves are decent, as well as the running, and turnbuckle moves. You are given a lot of variety for beating down your opponent. Despite this; the wrestling is unbalanced, and feels like it's missing elements that should be there. For example; once you receive enough damage it will take forever to stand up! Second, the longer a match plays out, the faster everyone's finisher meter will fill, making the charisma stat somewhat pointless. Third, submissions and hold moves drain your opponents momentum meter much faster than any other move, making them an ideal choice over all others during singles matches. It feels like a step backwards overall in gameplay.

-Customization-
    A lot of customization here for creating your character -- which is a good thing considering it makes you do that before you can enter story mode. Because of the variety, it won't feel like a chore creating characters. Pretty sad that this is the best part of the game.

4. Soundtrack
    The music is great, but the way it's introduced won't be! You're listening to the same songs over & over again, songs that are normally played at a rock concert. THQ thinks this is cool, but it's not! After enough time has passed, you'll get sick of the tracks, and turn off music completely.

5. Personal Enjoyment
    So many pointless things exist in this game to piss you off. Like why is there a referee in the cage with you during a Steel Cage match when Pinfall and Submission is disabled? Why does the referee attack you using Stone Cold Steve Austin's moveset when DQ is turned off? What's the point in Bra & Panties matches when it plays no role in anything? Why do Smackdown superstars exist in the Raw storyline? Why can you set up objects on the turnbuckle but you can't actually throw your opponent through said object? Why can't you use the steel cage as a weapon during a Steel Cage match? Why does the Royal Rumble match instantly end if all players have been eliminated? Why are there no backstage brawls during gameplay at all? Why can't pinfalls & submissions count anywhere during a Hell in a Cell match? And why do submission finishers do a ridiculous amount of damage compared to all other finishers? All of these things DON'T MAKE SENSE!

6. Overall Verdict
    Wrestling fans should just move on and not bother with this game, however I can't say that it's a bad game because it does some things right, despite doing many other things wrong. The verdict is a 4 out of 10.
  2. Jul 21, 2014
    Jugué esto cuando seguía con devoción la wwe y quedé alucinado. Lo jugué mucho tiempo, realmente era un juego divertido y duradero, mejor que los actuales juegos de la wwe sin duda.
  3. May 16, 2013
    WWE Day of Reckoning is a good game for the Nintendo GameCube. It has good graphics, story and controls. The momentum shift is a good addition to the controls.
  4. Jun 27, 2011
    This is quite possibly the greatest pro-wrestling sim ever made. The roster is fairly robust, the controls are simple yet expansive, and the difficulty settings are finely tuned. I wasted many hours dreaming up angles and playing out the matches in exhibition mode; my only gripe is I wish there were title belts in exhibition mode that you could put on the line in matches. My only otherThis is quite possibly the greatest pro-wrestling sim ever made. The roster is fairly robust, the controls are simple yet expansive, and the difficulty settings are finely tuned. I wasted many hours dreaming up angles and playing out the matches in exhibition mode; my only gripe is I wish there were title belts in exhibition mode that you could put on the line in matches. My only other gripe is that "rest holds" should not make my opponent submit. Other than that, this game is nearly perfect. Expand
  5. TaylorP.
    Oct 6, 2006
    This game is the best wrestling game gamecube has to offer!!! Very good graphics and awsome story mode!!! The create a Superstar mode is very great!!! Awsome moves and the momentum shift is very helpful. The new Bra and Panties matches rule! If you have a gamecube and you looking for a wrestling game, then this is the game! By the way, Diva rule! I love you Trish Stratus!
  6. AurelijusA.
    Aug 14, 2005
    Jega zaidimelis.
  7. MichaelM.
    Jul 19, 2005
    I hope this game be the best game ever.
  8. NickS.
    Jul 17, 2005
    If you're a fan of the old N64 wrestling games like No Mercy, you'll love the control system. It works perfectly, and matches are genuinely enjoyable, especially in multiplayer mode. The CAW system is also great, easy to use but allowing for detailed creations. The major drawback is the Story Mode. The storylines are far too linear and often make no sense at all. If you're If you're a fan of the old N64 wrestling games like No Mercy, you'll love the control system. It works perfectly, and matches are genuinely enjoyable, especially in multiplayer mode. The CAW system is also great, easy to use but allowing for detailed creations. The major drawback is the Story Mode. The storylines are far too linear and often make no sense at all. If you're looking for a multiplayer wrestling game, Day of Reckoning is a good choice. If you're looking for a single player wrestling game, this leaves a lot to be desired. Expand
  9. DanielF.
    May 13, 2005
    The only thing negative i can say about this game is not a vast amount of wrestlers as you would want, otherwise it's perfect.
  10. MattJ.
    Jan 13, 2005
    A very solid title, but what's with the stupid, spoonfed storyline and all of the special match types?
  11. Kel
    Oct 22, 2004
    As john cena would say this is basic thuganomics, this is basic wrestlenomics, i simply think that this is one of the best wresling games ive ever played. The controls are easy to get use to as are the reversals, it has john cena (yes!!) and the dead man undertaker. The lack of a few superstars didn't make me like the game anyless. The CAW mode is saweet, you even get to put in your As john cena would say this is basic thuganomics, this is basic wrestlenomics, i simply think that this is one of the best wresling games ive ever played. The controls are easy to get use to as are the reversals, it has john cena (yes!!) and the dead man undertaker. The lack of a few superstars didn't make me like the game anyless. The CAW mode is saweet, you even get to put in your own camera angles to really personalize it. There is finally a good music selection on a wrestling game and not the same old crap. Breaking Benjamins firefly was a great choice to put as background music. P.S. John Cena is the man. Expand
  12. PamelaA.
    Sep 23, 2004
    a great CAW mode, but the lack of wrestlers (and the lovely lita) leaves a lot 2 be desired.
  13. EvanM.
    Sep 19, 2004
    This is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. Awesome game. The only bad thing about this game is that there is no Catcus Jack, Shane 0 Mac, or JBL. But it is still out of this world. PS I hate John Cena.
  14. BlancoA.
    Sep 7, 2004
    Awesome freakin' game.
  15. KevinN.
    Sep 4, 2004
    This game rocks.
  16. BobL.
    Sep 2, 2004
    A very well put together game with good graphics. Diehard fans will enjoy this game. The story mode is shaping up to be very good.
  17. XE-BIZKIT
    Aug 31, 2004
    This game is tight! The graphics are outstanding and the gameplay is almost similar to WWF No Mercy, but faster. The story is also great and the sound is awesome. Almost the best WWE game for the Gamecube, pure fun.
  18. BatmanMonkey
    Aug 8, 2004
    Hopefull this will be the best wrestling game yet...It has the best graphics...I am definately getting this and Smackdown vs Raw...the only advantage i think in Smackdown is the 6 player instead of 4...
  19. JamesJ.
    Jul 28, 2004
    this game is great but not all that it deserves an 8.0 great but its a great rating any wwe fan that has gamecube should give tis game a try and will love it.
  20. AnthonyPinella
    Jul 25, 2004
    WWE Day Of Reckoning is shapping out to be my dream come true, this game is a no mercy product which will sell like hot cakes, hopefully rene dupree is in as well with jbl, and current theme music. thank you!
  21. PhulpB.
    Apr 18, 2004
    this game is so cool but the problem is that on smackdown on ps2 we could create a season but on this game they dont have that do they.

#11 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2004

The meat of the game is always in multiplayer, and Yuke's and THQ have handled that with finesse.
  2. Verbose cut scenes threaten to stall the mayhem, but two elements save the day: playable legends like Andre the Giant and "bra & panties" matches featuring such divas as Stacy Keibler and Trish Stratus. A little thong goes a long way.
    Those who are willing to give it a shot will find that it's a great package, offering wrestling fans more than enough to keep them entertained until next year's games offer something bigger, badder, and better.