• Publisher: Vidia
  • Release Date: Oct 18, 2011
7.2

1. Oct 21, 2011
    GRAPHICS: Gorgeous! I'm a big fan of the visuals here, which are more akin to Lego than they are 8-bit, which if I'm honest is no bad thing. But while the graphics are indeed very pretty, the framerates and graphical pop-in are a disappointment. 8/10

GAMEPLAY: Whether in championship mode or single race, the racing on offer is fast, frantic, and above all bags of fun. 8/10 CONTROLS: With

CONTROLS: With options for a virtual joystick or tilt, I've personally found the controls to be nice and tight and perfectly acceptable. 7/10

UI AND HUD: The in-game HUD isn't the prettiest, but it's effective and gets the job done all the same. Those controversial menu screens meanwhile aren't perfect for sure, but I personally found them to be just fine once you've got a couple of races under your belt. 6/10

QUALITY: The overal polish on offer here is the most disappointing element of the whole game for me, which ultimately feels low rent and perhaps a tad 2010! If the developers want to see what polish really is in a retro racer, I suggest they take a ganders at 8-Bit Rally. 5/10

FINAL COMMENTS: If the developers can successfully fix the poor graphical pop-in and draw distances, address the overal polish and feel of the game as a whole, while adding Game Center and iPad 2 and iPhone 4S optimisation, there's a fabulous arcade racer underneath that's just itching to come out. 6.5/10

Recommended, but caution advised.
  2. Oct 21, 2011
    It's like Minecraft meets Sega Racers meets Mario Kart. And if you are astute, you'll notice some actual Sega racers here. 0:14, there's the Ferrari Testarossa from OutRun. 0:52, there's the Hornet from Daytona USA. 1:20, there's the Lancia from Sega Rally. 1:14, there's Formula 1 cars (Virtua Racing perhaps?). Also at 1:03, there's what looks like the Porsche from Chase HQ. There'sIt's like Minecraft meets Sega Racers meets Mario Kart. And if you are astute, you'll notice some actual Sega racers here. 0:14, there's the Ferrari Testarossa from OutRun. 0:52, there's the Hornet from Daytona USA. 1:20, there's the Lancia from Sega Rally. 1:14, there's Formula 1 cars (Virtua Racing perhaps?). Also at 1:03, there's what looks like the Porsche from Chase HQ. There's also Lamborghinis and Corvettes...

Take a look at their website here. You can see what looks like the Ferrari Testarossa & F40, the Hornet, & the Lancia and Celica. I find that fascinating. Also, the Chase HQ car is coincidentally named "Chaser," HA!

As for the game itself, it looks very charming. Not brutal and absurd like Burnout or Split/Second. It has pit stops and "cop chases." The way the cars "shake" and slide back and forth when they drive is very Sega-esque. THESE GUYS must be Sega racing fans, I know it!!! GIVE THEM PROPS, PEOPLE!!!

The only bad news: it's only for the Nintendo Wii. I would get this in a heartbeat but I only have the Xbox 360. Also, I don't know how much customization there is...looks like you can design your own cars and tracks although I doubt you can do the former and the latter is questionable...

Download it from the Wii Store on July 14th. DO IT FOR GREAT JUSTICE. AT THIS POINT IN TIME, WE MUST STICK UP FOR ANYONE REPRESENTING SEGA'S GLORY DAYS!!!
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Nov 1, 2011
    3D Pixel Racing is a winner in the categories of graphical creativity and delivery of plenty of game modes, but it comes last for user-interface design due to cluttered menus and buttons which make it unpleasant to navigate.