tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 2 more ratings

1. Oct 9, 2011
    This is an excellent rpg in the style of baldur's gate, fallout and other PC classics. And what's more, it works BRILLIANTLY on ipad. I cannot believe the mediocre scores this game is getting. Generally, when i play rpgs these days, I find the lore so tedious that I tend to skip character dialogues, or just skim through it, pre-empting the obvious storylines that abound these days: anThis is an excellent rpg in the style of baldur's gate, fallout and other PC classics. And what's more, it works BRILLIANTLY on ipad. I cannot believe the mediocre scores this game is getting. Generally, when i play rpgs these days, I find the lore so tedious that I tend to skip character dialogues, or just skim through it, pre-empting the obvious storylines that abound these days: an unwitting legend has to find him/herself by completing quests and finding out the written lore that proclaims that they are the ultimate chosen one.....YAWN!
    This game avoids such cliches. It is well written, evoking the storytelling of the Ultima games of the 80's, where the story was carefully crafted from go to woe. If you're harkering for a non-casual rpg from the past, go no further. Get this game. It's brilliant. I keep coming back to it, and I can't say that about a lot of ipad games, except for a few. This is one of the few.
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    I have to start saying that I'm a big nerd and a hardcore gamer. I love deep RPGs (Dragon Age, Fallout, KOTOR, etc). And reading the official reviews, I can see where this guys are coming from: I guess the iPad crowd is very different from your average PC or console gamer, and they might not have the patience (or desire) to play trough such a deep and cerebral game.

The presentation is

The presentation is indeed simple: animations are stiff and graphics are simple (even when compared with old CRPGs such as Baldurs Gate).

Yet, this game shines in the fun department. It masters 2 fundamental aspects for a good RPG, in my opinion:

STORYTELLING AND WRITING
    This story is very interesting. Even though its delivered trough text, it manages to inject great mood in very simple looking environment. It complements the simple presentation, making you feel the tone the developers want to transmit along the dungeons and levels.

This is a game that is making me want to sink into the lore like just a few before. Is Redbeard a hero or a tyrant? What is true and what is not about his 3 wives? What else can you find about the distant lands in this world? You'll want to know.

COMBAT AND CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION
    So the story is great, but what about gameplay? Its incredible. The combat is deep, strategic and offers great variety. Its turn based and grid based like the combat in the best rogue like games.

Also, you have loads of options to when choosing how to develop your character (you upgrade basic stats talent tree).

CONTROLS
    This is the area that sometimes I had some issues with. In some tight situations, I accidentally pressed the wrong tile making my character move instead of attacking. Its a very minor issue, and consider that I'm playing it on iPad mini (it might be mitigated on the regular iPad).

CONCLUSION
    This game makes me believe that gaming on iPad could be something great. If it manages to receive more great games like this, I think it'll be hard to deny the potential of the platform for greatness. And this is coming from a PSVita enthusiast, mind you.

1. Aug 2, 2011
    There wont be many people that will enjoy Avadon HD. Unless you are hard core fan of old school RPG, give this a miss.
  2. Jul 19, 2011
    If you are a big lover of classic RPGs and if you can't play the game on a PC or Mac, then Avadon could be your ultimate game for iPad. For all the other players it's just a complex game with a bad interface and a gameplay really far from the usual aspects of gaming on iPad.
  3. Jul 5, 2011
    If you're a fan of '90s RPGs and have been craving something that doesn't hold your hand or guide you along on the iPad, this is the perfect game for you.