Boom Beach iOS

5.8

1. Apr 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Supercell's next take on Strategic Warfare.

Supercell, Developers of the iOS smash hit Clash of Clans, have essentially taken the raw mechanics of their hugely popular strategy Game, and built around it. Their latest release, Boom Beach is currently Free to Play on iOS devices, and looks to bury its competitors by giving Casual Strategy Games a fresh new feel.

It follows the same basic principles of Clash of Clans; collect resources to build a Base strong enough to defend against your Enemies. This time though it comes in the form of Naval Warfare set on a series of Islands where Players have one main objective; defeat the Blackguard, liberating their captives from enslavement whilst also collecting Gold and Wood (and later on also Stone and Iron). Blackguard inhabited Islands and other Players Bases are discovered by unlocking different parts of the Map with Gold, which makes the amount of possible battles feel endless and with the addition of things like resource Bases, we can see Supercell have really tried to create something bigger than Clash of Clans.

Like its older Brother, Boom Beach also allows its Users to Raid other Players Bases in the hope of gaining Loot and Medals to advance through the Leaderboards. Though there is no league system and the absence of a Chat feature also seems disappointing.

With this new title it really feels like the Developers have listened to the Players when it comes to its many Gameplay improvements. Probably the most beneficial of them all is the fact that Troops can be reused over and over again in battle if they survive. In Clash of Clans they were a loss to the Player, even if they remained alive at the end of the fight, which to me was one of the downfalls of that Game. This makes Boom Beach feel much faster paced and allows the Gameplay to flow better, cutting out the wait for your Army to be trained after every Enemy encounter. The Player can have multiple battles with the same set of troops, which is made possible from the start of the Game.

This time around, Supercell have really given their Players more control in Battle with the addition of the Gunship. This sits back in the sea, as a kind of Command post almost and gives the Player a number of Strategic benefits. They can fire Flares from it to direct their Troops to a specific position on the Map, Heal them by dropping a protective Ring around them or simply fire Missiles at Enemy defences to weaken them before sending in the Cavalry. The Flare essentially eliminates your Troops wandering into gunfire whilst they attack something and gives the Player an option to direct them to attack the most important things first. In addition the missile is a useful tool for taking out something annoyingly out of range of your Troops, before they head into get slaughtered by it. The Health Ring was seen before in Clash of Clans, but in Boom Beach seems more relevant as the Troops you keep alive can be reused again and again and this time around it is given to you at the start instead of unlocking it at a higher level. Of course all these features are limited, as they each use points which are taken from a set amount which you are given at the start of every battle and then points are gained through destroying enemy structures. This amount can be increased however, with every upgrade of the Gunship.

Another new Game feature Players are presented with is Statues. Once you get far enough into the Game you are given the option to buy a Sculptor for your Base, which in turn will produce Statues that can help you by either improving your Base defences, Power up your Troops or boost the production of your Base. However, these mysterious Statues can only be generated from collecting Crystals by attacking other Islands.

Your Base is also backed up by supply Ships that sail in and drop off various resources to you. This is dependant on how many Islands the Player has taken over, each giving them a set amount of Gold or Wood. This again is a nice touch to the Game that gives it an advantage over its predecessor and other Games alike.

Building up your Base to something substantial can seem a laborious task though as upgrades to your defences will take a set amount of time (minutes,hours or even days) depending on the level of upgrade. This of course can be fast tracked by using diamonds, which can be bought in packages with real life money(£2.99 for 500,£6.99 for 1,200,£13.99 for 2,500,£34.99 for 6,500 and £69.99 for 14,000).The Player is allocated a certain amount at the start of the game (around 120) and then fed small amounts throughout the Game.

Although many Games out there today use this method of generating revenue from its Players, this can seem frustrating to the patient Players out there who choose not to spend Money on the Games and can seem unfair that other people have the option to basically skip all the work and buy their way to the top.
  2. Aug 21, 2014
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.....

You make troops, send them to warfare, and let it go boom. Better then Clash of Clans because of the flare you are able to use that allows you to actually command your troops.
  3. Apr 26, 2014
    I'll give this a 8/10 for a great time waster. Much more interactive and strategic than Supercell's smash hit Clash of Clans in many ways.

Defending has a tower defense feel because the victory objective is to destroy the opponent's command center. Attacking is interactive and dynamic. Troop position and maneuvers are key. Sometimes the best way to win is to walk around the guns and

Attacking is interactive and dynamic. Troop position and maneuvers are key. Sometimes the best way to win is to walk around the guns and exploit that one angle your opponent failed to cover.

The economy is about the same as all games in this genre.

Player vs player interaction is allot of fun. I like the fact that you can see your opponents on the map. Sadly, you can "switch" opponents after a few days and probably never see them again making rivalries impossible.

All in all, a good way to occupy an hour of your time each day.

- x out
  4. May 25, 2015
    Boom Beach, in my opinion, is a better game than Clash of Clans. It is similar, but not the same game. This time using strategy to attack enemy bases off of islands, trying to earn metals by upping your troops and building up defenses/gunboat powers. I like how the attacking works, you pick the troops you want on each landing craft and have gunboat abilities to control the battle. UnlikeBoom Beach, in my opinion, is a better game than Clash of Clans. It is similar, but not the same game. This time using strategy to attack enemy bases off of islands, trying to earn metals by upping your troops and building up defenses/gunboat powers. I like how the attacking works, you pick the troops you want on each landing craft and have gunboat abilities to control the battle. Unlike spells in clash, they're all set up for you and are upgradable, I like this. Upgrade times don't take as long, can go from hours to days but nowhere near as bad as clash. But you can only upgrade one thing at a time, which makes the game go slower. Small downside but nothing too bad. My main concern about the game is the matchmaking system, sometimes ridiculous because if you go too high up in vp (victory points) you'll get tougher opponents and likely be destroyed more often by enemies. And there is no way you can drop, unless if you leave your hq exposed but being attacked is rare. Resource bases can also be hard to capture, because you'll usually have enemies that are higher ranked than you are. The game is balanced, good game play and sound, wanting to explore more of the archipelago. In my opinion, good mechanics, with a few flaws. Overall, 3/4 stars. Expand
  5. Jun 4, 2014
    actually I totally love this game, new theme and design is a plus! Only thing I dont like is I constantly get attacked without granting any shields, and all my resources are gone! Too cruel for casual gamers tbh!
  6. Jun 28, 2016
    Thank God there finally is a fun and good game. Boom Beach is really fun and creative and they did a really good job with the animation. My only flaw would be the time limit, as I hope it is longer, and that they should add new troops to make it look better. It does get boring after playing it 24/7 at first, but it will start to become fun again. Still great game though with minimal lags.

1. Apr 16, 2014
    The concept of paying or waiting peaked with Clash of Clans. Boom Beach serves as a reminder why I eventually quit.
  2. Apr 16, 2014
    Boom Beach kept me enthralled for a time, giving moments of memorable excitement. It can't, however, stay out of its own way. The growing wall of requirements and the pace of progression kept this mobile version of the Pacific Theater from becoming one of my favorite mobile games, but it does have a home on my iPhone.
  3. Apr 14, 2014
    Boom Beach is the latest game developed by Supercell. The app is characterized by good graphics, an intuitive gameplay and an excellent tactical component. However, the environments are repetitive and some game mechanics need to improve.