8.3

1. Jul 17, 2012
    Yes it is expensive for an Iphone game but it is worth it. It is a long game with a unique story and it has lots of cool characters to play as as well. The entire time I played the game all I could think is I can't believe this is an Iphone game. Chaos Rings is good in pretty much every way. It looks amazing for being on the Iphone, the combat is like Final Fantasy but with a twist and the music is really good too. It's a great game with lots to do and it's pretty long too which is another bonus. Expand
  2. May 30, 2011
    Anyone who has purchased Square Enix apps knows that, though they are always top notch, they are a little pricy compared to the rest of the App Store content. It is for that exact reason that for the longest time, I was aversed to purchasing this game. However, eventually a discount day arose where I purchased this title for 4.99 because the price had finally become, in my eyes, reasonable and fair. However, now having played through this title, I can say with the utmost certainty that this game would've been worth the purchase if I had bought it full price. Story: 10/10 I would go into detail, but doing so would ruin it :( sorry! All I will say is that it is complex, engrossing, and part of the finest Square Enix has to offer.

Gameplay: 9/10

In all honesty, there's nothing new. Everything from roaming the overworld to the constant battles and grinding that you'll do feels VERY Final-Fantasy esque. Why the 10 then? Because the formula works, and it's been MUCH improved on. All actions are fluid; battles are engrossing with plenty of new features; random encounters aren't as bothersome now that you have the ability to turn encounters on and off and a richly detailed overworld makes it engrossign to explore. The only negative part of the game is the slow-paced 'Puzzle' sections that you are forced to endure, but these are never long and you get rewarded with currency, so it isn't a big deal.

Sound 9/10

In my opinion, this game has THE best gane soundtrack on the Ipod, and one of the BEST game soundtracks of ALL TIME! Period. The sound effects, while nothing impressive, work well, so no complaints. In fact, all this would make me rate this a 10 if it wasn't for the lack of voice acting. OMG! This game is one of those games that NEEDS skilled English voice acting because the dialogue is so engrossing and well-written. Yet, we get NOTHING! Nothing at all! True, we'll be getting an update soon that will give us some Japanese voice acting for the characters, but I would PREFER English! If Square Enix fixes this, I'll be happy to change this to a 10. Design: 10/10

Holy crap, I didn't even know that iPod games could be so detailed! Everything from the character models to the backgrounds to the cutscenes is so detailed that it almost matches that of systems like PSP! Look at a picture or video of this game- then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Replayability factor: 10/10

This is one of those games that NEEDS to be replayed! Firstly; you have 4 groups of characters with 4 different methods of combat and unique stories. That's good enough to make you want to go through each one individually, and you put in about 5 hours per story. THEN there's the fact if you REPLAY the game with a character, you unlock the TRUE ENDING along with even more difficult and unique boss fights. Then if you do them ALL, there's one MORE true ending where you defeat the ultimate enemy, and.... wow... completionists will put it a LOT of time to unlock everything

Overall: 10/10

While it may seem expensive for an iPod game, it's worth buying for sure. As was said by IGN I believe, this is not just a great iPod RPG, but an epic RPG for ANY system- period, and is much cheaper then RPGS for other systems. If you want a fun RPG, look no further then Chaos Rings. P.S: If you're a Square Enix fan, PLEASE check out Hills and Rivers Remain- the $5 game also on IOS! It's not as epic as this game, but it is quite fun and worth checking out!

1. Mar 4, 2011
    It's beautifully made with attention paid to every aspect of its visual and musical presentation.
  2. Feb 1, 2011
    I do not hesitate to claim that Chaos Rings has the potential to change iDevice gaming as we know it, and for the better.
  3. Feb 1, 2011
    For a game that would otherwise cost three times or more on another console, 'Chaos Rings' isn't just value for money - it's an amazing JRPG experience with a solid, intriguing story that's worthy of its developer's pedigree.