8.4

1. Dec 30, 2013
    I actually played this on Android, but the only mobile platform listed here is iOS. Both versions are ports of the DS remake, so the review is still valid.

The one flaw (on Android) this game has is that is crashed frequently while playing on my ASUS Transformer tablet. That being said, they instituted an excellent auto-save feature so I didn’t mind it so much. The game saves after
    every battle and every time you walk into a new area. If not for that, it would have been too frustrating to play through the frequent crashes.

Anyway, this game has always held a special place in my heart ever since I played in on the SNES. This remake is pure bliss. Ignore what user “MasterOfMetroid” said about this being a “dumbed down” version b/c he has no clue what he’s talking about. The SNES version, known as Final Fantasy II in the US, was dumbed down as it was thought the original Japanese release would be too difficult for American gamers. Therefore this version has tons of content that was never available in the original US release, not to mention the much improved graphics & brilliant cutscenes with voice acting. There is even an option when you start a new game to increase the difficulty or make it easier.

Only two things stop me from giving this a perfect score: there is no cloud saving (on Android, anyway) and you can only get one Limit Break augment. In the DS version you could get two. There has been no reason given by Squeenix for this, so it’s most likely some bug they have never bothered to fix. Just about every strategy for defeating Proto-Babil requires two limit breaks, so that’s very disappointing.

Everything else, though, is excellent. Music, story, gameplay, etc. If you’re an RPG fan, you owe it to yourself to play this game.
  2. Feb 3, 2013
    Final Fantasy IV is with out a doubt in my mind a "A treat for nostalgic people." as said by BBking299. I quite enjoy playing this game, also having it across many platforms hows how much I enjoy it. This is how we grew up playing RPG. also somthing I dont see quite mention in the reviews is the music. some of the best scores from Final fantasy series in memory come from this game alone. Every time you hear battle theme or The Red Wings/Cecil's Theme moves you. Collapse
  3. Feb 2, 2013
    An excellent recreation of the DS version of the game. Unfortunately the touch controls detract from the experience somewhat, but it does offer multiple difficulty levels which is a nice addition. From what I can tell the "hard" setting is more difficult than the US SNES version (which I played many times, and is called Final Fantasy II).
  4. Jan 9, 2013
    Really great game and a blast from the past if, like me, you played Final Fantasy IV back then on the Super NES. With this new version you can play your beloved heroes again in this classic and timeless RPG.
    A treat for nostalgic people.
  5. Feb 3, 2013

1. Jan 15, 2013
    Under the goo-goo eyes and the rather clumsily animated characters hides a challenging old school role-playing experience that punishes every little mistake you might make in your battle strategy. But more importantly: The magic of an era long forgotten is still there.
  2. Jan 14, 2013
    Here and there there are still remnants of outdated formulas, but in the end what really counts is the plot, the world and the legendary alter ego; from this point of view Final Fantasy IV cannot disappoint.
  3. Jan 2, 2013
    The overall story, character development and pacing are excellent. The modifications to the core gameplay, whether they were changed from the US SNES version to the DS version or created exclusively for the iOS port, make the game more accessible to a wider audience.