8.3

1. Sep 17, 2011
    Addictive, fun, & easy to play, Jetpack Joyride has got to be one of the best iOS apps of the year. It has rich graphics, a cool sound and a nice RPG element that blends in nicely with the game. Overall, the game is a great expirence for gamers and iPhone users.
  2. Sep 7, 2011
    I got this game because I saw that the rating was quite astronomical on Metacritic. I also got it because I liked fruit ninja. In Jetpack Joyride you are basically going as far as you can through one extremely long level (ala Tiny Wings). Like Tiny Wings, there is not really a goal to the game beyond going as far as you can. This concept works extremely well in Tiny Wings, because Tiny Wings central mechanism is a developable skill. You can feel yourself improve over time, and therefore a "goal-less" system still feels rewarding.

In JJ however, this is not the case. After many many plays you don't feel as though you've really gotten any better at the game. This is because your deaths are basically random, and not a true measure of your skill at the game. You will be flying along when randomly an "electro-wirery-killing-thing" (the main obstacle in the game), will appear on the side of the screen you are on. A lot of the time you are in a position where there it is not even actually POSSIBLE to get out of the way, regardless of your response time / skill level. This makes your death feel inevitable, and random.

When you are done a level, you get to play a slot machine for various bonuses using tokens that appear randomly during the level. I find this rather ironic, as it is quite metaphorical of the actual game play itself. This whole app is just a big slot machine.

What's worse, is that the upgrades are mostly completely USELESS, literally. Only about 5 of them actually do anything (the vehicle magnets), and they only improve your ability to score coins, and do not effect your ability to perform in any way. This is actually reminiscent of Tiny Wings' system, as TW just upgrades your points multipliers instead of upgrades. This upgrading philosophy keeps the game a "pure skill" game, meaning that the high scores are in no way effected by upgrades. The fundamental difference is that TW's skill ceiling is much much much higher than JJ's . Since the game is NOT a pure skill game, the developers should have included **** of awesome upgrades that allow you to get better and better and go farther and farther. What a wasted opportunity. To be clear, I have nothing against random games Peggle is one of my favorite casual games of all time. But Peggle doesn't pretend to be a skill based game. JJ does.

There are also consumables, that are astronomically expensive... one of which could be initially conceived as useful, which is the "second chance" consumable which allows you to . However going as far as you can in the game doesn't actually feel like the goal of the game. The goal of the game feels like scoring as many coins as possible. So, if the goal is scoring as many coins as possible, why would I spend 5000 coins on something that will allow me to continue through one of my random deaths? It's completely, and utterly stupid. One of the other upgrades is a "750m head start", but again this goes under the assumption that I feel like the goal of the game is to go as far as I can, which isn't the case.

The only place this game hits, and hits hard, is the aesthetics. It's Metal Slug-esc veneer is gorgeous, the coins and sounds are so cute you just wanna eat them. The skin of this game masks an other wise completely pointless, goalless, random, skill-less system, pretending to be the opposite.

I'm actually dumbfounded by the positive reviews this game has received. It's clear that the critics of the game app market don't have much gaming experience. For a skill based "go as far as you can" game, play Tiny Wings. For a random "go as far as you can" game, play Flight by Armor games. This game fails on all fronts, but sure does look pretty.
  3. Nov 13, 2011
    One of my favorites game with Crazy Escape and Pix'n Love Rush. A lots of action, rythm and upgrade. Simple to play, one touch button and with innovative gameplay. The replay value is impressive.
  4. Sep 16, 2011
    One of the best Apps this summer! Addictive, easy to pick up and play on the go. Has great sprite based graphics, an awesome soundtrack, and the light RPG elements give a great sense of progression. And it's only $0.99!!!
  5. Oct 23, 2013
    Just another infinite-runner. It's the same gameplay we've seen done time and time again on mobile devices. In the games defense very few other infinite-runners have had the privilege of having such a super cool theme and soundtrack like this one does, but that doesn't save it from being just another infinite-runner to add to the pile. Overall it's not bad, but with the numerous other mobile games like it I remain unimpressed. Expand
  6. Jan 26, 2012
    Just like Angry birds the game finds a very acceptable niche in being addictive , all the challenges are great and progressive . Its an endless trip worth your time.
  7. Sep 21, 2011
    This is what mobile games should be all about.

This game is awesome. It's not based on Tiny Wings as RoosterJuice implies, but in the famous helicopter game. It's a twist on their own game "Monster Dash" where you keep on going on your machine gun jetpack for as long as you can (bullets don't run out this time).

The goal of the game IS to go as far as you can and, when you're skilled
    enough you can go on forever. It's not so randomly chosen obstacles punish whoever tries to remain at the top or bottom of the screen. If you play by the rules (not written rules) you can go on for as long as your skill lets you.

There are also vehicles which are harder to maneuver than the jetpack, but allow you to continue for as long as you can without fear of losing since, if you crash your vehicle, you get to ride your jetpack once again. This game is as great as some other classics like Doodle Jump, because it challenges you to beat your own mark every time you play it. If you're good enough, you can always improve your score (ironic isn't it? )
  8. Jan 22, 2012
    It appears to me that more and more games are offering metagaming experience while imposing a necessary habituation to repeated failure. It's very clever if you come to think of it. Games are considered tedious and frustrating when a player is failing but if you make the failure an eminent element of the lower-level gameplay and offer him a better meta game he will be happy. And it works!

Theory aside if you start ignoring dieing in the regular runs and start going for the mission objectives you'll find yourself playing this game for a week while commuting :) Unfortunately the story ends with the 15lvl and there is no more missions to go for... :(
  9. May 27, 2012
    This game is incredibly addictive, intuitive, and enjoyable! Another game starring Barry Steakfries, everyone's favorite bad-ass/monster slayer takes on a new role, stealin' jetpacks and high-fiving nerds. Best free game available on the app store. This game is for just about everyone, and Halfbrick studios delivers in another great iOS games.
  10. Dec 30, 2011
    One of the most addicting iOS "endless" games ever.
    It really is steal at 99c.
    Tons of replay value abound.
    Go download, just don't forget your battery charger...you'll gonna need it!
  11. Mar 13, 2012
    Jetpack Joyride was the first IoS game I put on my iPhone, and because of this completely free gem it was also the only game on my iPhone for many months. It is just that addictive. The controls work well and the character customization is well rounded. I loved this game and can not recommend it enough.
  12. Nov 8, 2011
    An interesting kids game. Also recently i came across a new action game, Fly Smasher(for kids). Its an interesting free game for your iPad, available in app store. So the game lovers go ahead and download this game right away.
  13. Nov 15, 2011
    You run and run and run. Sound familiar? Yes, but dont worry. Jetpack joyride packs in many features to not make it "Just another runner"
    Things like missions ranging from run ___ meters without collecting coins to highfiving ____ scientists.
    Another thing is that you can buy powerups like coin magnets, however everything else is purely cosmetic.
    Trust me, you wont regret this purchase.
  14. May 21, 2012
    Not bad, for an ios game.
    I think this game is enough to rival AAA ios games like Angry Birds and Infinity Blade.
    The cool thing are those gadgets!
    From leaping over ground obstacles easily, to slowing down missles, to making sure your final spin token is a winner.
  15. Feb 24, 2012
    I played this game for hours and hours. It is amazing! Well worth the money :-)
  16. Feb 17, 2013
    This game is a must have. Addicting. It's also free.

The Good:
    The gameplay is basically a new-school Helicopter, which was one of my favorite games growing up. Jetpack Joyride is simple with a high replayability. The upgrades and missions are what create the high replayability. The missions are basically tasks that create a different focus when traveling through the levels and can be
    completed by any skill level. From a phone, Playstation Vita to a Kindle, this game is available on many electronic devices. It's not common we see such a simple game that can hold attention for so long.. No matter your skill level, the game can be completed (getting all in game trophies).

The Bad:
    I honestly can't think of anything.

I hope they make a sequel. This game is better than most games I pay $10 for.
  17. Dec 12, 2013
    "Jetpack Joyride" is kind of similar to "Temple Run". Personally, I enjoy this game more. It just seems more exciting and intense. It has some nice graphics, great sound effects and intelligent ideas. Perhaps one of my favorite iOS games.
  18. Jun 20, 2012
    Jetpack Joyride is another great IOS game, that is really addictive and fun. I can clearly say, Halfbrick made It again. With great mechanics, great gameplay and cool objectives, this game is one of the best apps available in IOS.
  19. Aug 14, 2012
    Jetpack Joyride may be one of the best app available. It's just a perfect game for your iPhone or iPad. And now It's free! You will be addicted from this game, because of It's addictive gameplay and level up. 90 out of 100
  20. Dec 28, 2012
    Amazing animations, great gameplay, and very touchable. It features a man trying to get a jetpack from a factory and try to escape and avoid the things with the jetpack. It was the best Halfbrick Studios game ever!
  21. Mar 4, 2013
    Great iOS game. It's easy to play, great and different features, and great and fun. The best parts gotta be easy touch and start the game easy use.
  22. Aug 28, 2013
    So far its good but Joyride has to improve there graphics. Games like 'Burt Destruction' and 'Temple run' has similar game play but just look at the graphics Burt Destruction has. Its simply amazing!!
  23. Dec 22, 2013
    Jetpack Joyride is one of the most addictive games I've ever played. Expect to play multiplied games in one sitting. It also has a unique upgrade system which makes each run more fun.
  24. Jan 26, 2014
    I got this game on a whim. I was bored at some party that was dragging on, so i surfed the app store and came across a cool looking F2P game by Halfbrick (Who did Fruit Ninja). This was the equivalent of finding a tonne of gold in a tin mine! Jetpack Joyride is an infinite runner (a genre i am a big fan of) that has an emphasis on twitch tapping. It could have been just another half-baked runner like subway surfers, But Halfbrick took it further by introducing vehicle upgrades, achievements, cool jetpacks, daily challenges and, especially, the cute little doggie (which i never turn off). There is something about this game that just makes you play and play and play. Even my dad (a non-gamer in every sense) got hooked.
    The best game on the app store apart from Eliss (in my opinion)
  25. Apr 9, 2014
    Jetpack Joyride is a fun game that anyone can play. It controls nice and smoothly, has nice cartoony graphics and is just some good fun to play (even though i suck at it at times). The other additions to it are also nice like the shop and other features which make the experience even better. However I didn't come back to this game to much, but it was still fun while I was addicted. As far as I know, this game is free so you should get this game. Expand

1. May 1, 2012
    Simple and fun, Jetpack Joyride is a must have in every iOS Device.
  2. Jan 19, 2012
    Another masterpiece from the makers of Fruit Ninja. It's free, it's funny, it's hypnotic... it's a must have!
  3. Jan 12, 2012
    With the hugely popular Angry Birds, and the unique Sword and Sworcery, Jetpack Joyride forms up the tryptic of the smartphone/tablet typical must-have games. It's pure action, through a single move : touching the screen to control the Jetpack, and survive the randomly generated traps as long as possible. It's highly addictive, filled with nice bonuses to unlock and blessed with a very nice artistic touch, typically referencing the video game world... just grab it!