6.0

1. Jun 24, 2012
    Back in high school I plaid quite a lot of Magic, but stopped later due to lack of playing partners. When I saw that a Magic: The Gathering game is coming for iPad I knew I had to get it. Sadly the part I used to enjoy most, deck building, is the part the game doesn't allow you to do. You can make some modifications to pre-made decks, but that's it. For me that takes a huge part of the fun and the motivation away, since I always enjoyed making new decks with interesting strategies much more than actually playing the game. I am surprised that this doesn't seem to be an issue for any commercial reviewers.

The interface of the game looks quite beautiful, but has some flaws. As pretty as some of the animations look it get's annoying to have to watch the 1-2 second tapping animation so often. That doesn't sound like much but sums up. Want to attack with you pack of 10 wolfs? Well you will have to wait for every tapping animation to finish before you can tap the next creature. This alone wouldn't be that bad, but it contributes to to make the game feel very slow. This behavior also makes the interface feel wonky at times, because slow starting animations like tapping, don't give immediate feedback and needs some getting used to.
    Most other board and card games are much faster in the computer versions. Not so with this game. You have to wait for a timer for every phase of the game to finish, even if there is no action that possibly could be taken. This makes especially the first few round feel unnecessary slow.

Overall it's an OK game, but could have been so much more. Just a little interface polish and the option to build you own deck (which Magic is all about) and this could be one of my favorit games.
  2. Jul 2, 2012
    Great game. Some aspects are missing like custom deck building, at this point you can only make changes to pre made decks. Some animations are kinda slow on my iPad 2 too. But overall a very nice game. Hope they fix those issues on next updates.
  3. Jul 21, 2014
    Easily the worst balancing ever in any game. The AI cheats like mad to compensate for the fact that it would otherwise be completely inept, even on lowest difficulty. AI always draws the right card at the right time (e.g. playing 3 identical fire spells at the same time? Seriously?) No variety in deck building except for paying $4 dlcs. The mulligan system is fundamentally flawed, and when they implemented it into this iOS version, each hand that's drawn is so blatantly rigged that it's not even funny. Over half if not most of the time, the player will either have too few lands or too few spells. Not uncommon at all to draw 5 or 6 cards in a row without drawing a single land.

The only redeeming factor is the fact that it's on iPad, which is portable. Only if you have absolutely nothing better to do, or if you're on the go, is it by all means an OK game. It really does the actual card game no justice.

Update: Turns out that for some reason, the more cards you unlock, the more unstable the game becomes on your machine. It crashes after every match, so it is nearly impossible to make any progress whatsoever. The design of the save system is absolutely moronic, i.e. new unlocks are only saved when you return to the menu screen and not if you continue playing. So, if you don't regularly quit to the menu, you could easily lose an hour (or more) worth of gameplay. Utter nonsense.
  4. Jul 30, 2014
    This version of the game single-handedly taught me how to play MTG. I'm a huge fan now. The tutorial portion is very easy to follow and the touch response is right on target. The music isn't too shabby, either.

1. Jan 15, 2013
    Yes there are a couple of niggles but for the most part Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 is still very much the same, albeit cut down, game I fell in love with back in the day.
  2. Sep 11, 2012
    Magic The Gathering Planeswalker 2013 is a great start for the brand on iPad and probably the best version on the market.
  3. Jul 24, 2012
    New cards are a big attraction, but this year it's the multiplayer that shines. [Sept 2012, p.101]