3.5

1. Jan 15, 2014
    Microtransactions everywhere! This is the motto of this game. It is impossible to derive pleasure if you do not pay! I would rather pay $ 5 for the entire game than pay for unlocking each item. Because MPQ: DR is in itself good. But microtransactions ruined this game.
  2. Dec 8, 2013
    An atrocious microtransaction rip-off of epic proportions. This game costs $170 to unlock all content. That should cost about $19.99 at most, given the modest cost of a simple match-3 game. This game is one of the worst values I have ever seen, and both Marvel and the makers of Puzzle Quest should pull it off the shelves before its obscene price scheme alienates fans.
  3. Jun 28, 2014
    fck this, thats realm of mad god oryx getting under kabam give-all-your-money-then-we-let-you-play-the-game. all over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Dec 20, 2013
    As far as ftp's go this game requires less purchase for success than most. I have currently spent 5 bucks on the game and I am satisfied playing it.
    As far as puzzle quest goes, this game has more spells and spell combos and spell upgrades than other puzzle quest games. Continued content updates also makes the game have a lot more to it. When reviewers reviewed this game they were
    essentially reviewing a demo.
    As far as marvel story lines go. This story leans more on the corny side and less on the depth that can be seen in some marvel comics.
    This game can be a money trap but does not have to be. The story could be better. The game play is pronominal. Could use live pvp.
  5. Feb 6, 2014
    This game WAS incredible! recovering for 4 months after surgery, & owning 900 games over many systems, I had intended to catch up on other games while recuperating, but MPQ got me addicted. However, a game like this, where balancing is an ever-changing thing, there was no respec option available. Now, just recently, they nerfed the 2 most popular and relatively accessible characters in the game, Wolverine and Thor.
    You can level your characters via collecting "covers" (each cover with a corresponding power.) On a character like Thor, where he has 3 powers available, you are forced to choose how you combine those covers of his, so they add to 13 total points (with 5 max in any one category of power.) D3 was none too hesitant to actually allow you to spend real money directly into a power (if you chose not to wait for a "luck of a draw" card that you wanted. (ie: you wanted the "green" Thor card to finish that line of power off, you could guarantee that power added for $5, otherwise, it was a waiting game to get that card to drop. 4 months into the game, D3 has decided that Thor & Wolvie were "overpowered," and nerfed them both. (Wolverine's nerf isn't so bad,) Thor, on the other hand, has become a travesty of what he was before, a very "real" representation of his hero in the comic. D3 claimed balancing, the (majority) of the community claims cash-grab or just simple overuse of these 2 characters, as they were extremely common on everyone's roster. Heading into pvp, you were almost guaranteed to see these two on the opposing team.
    So all the players that had a "5/5/3" setup on Thor just got screwed, as he's become worth very little in combat.
    Balancing itself is not the issue, it was the utter lack of foresight by D3, by nature of a game that is getting fine-tuned as input is relayed by players, to have a respec option implemented from the outset. Thor has had his first 2 powers nerfed beyond recognition, but his third power, the one almost every player placed only 3 cards into, was UPPED in power, leaving players no way to respec him, a standard in most games like this. D3 will only admit to wanting to add a respec option, but with no timetable available. They have offered a high trade-in value for these two cards as compensation, but the truth of the matter is, it's worth approximately HALF the card's worth, leaving players in limbo as to either sell and rebuild a character from scratch (you cannot OUTRIGHT buy any character in the game,) only earn or randomly get them as rewards. The only thing you CAN buy outright is the power/card, once it's unlocked by initially getting that color card once. (you may buy that same color card 4 more times, as no power can be over a "5" level.) This will run you approximately $40 real world cash JUST to unlock his ABILITY to reach his max level of 85 and have all 13 slots taken. This doesn't include earning the "experience points" to actually reach 85.
    They have upped prices on almost every boost in the latest patch, while offering no increase in reward to the iso8 they use in the game... If you don't have a boost that costs iso8, that will run you 200 iso8 for 3 boosts, while a reward for winning a match will net you 70 or 140. At best, in two matches, you'll be ahead a whopping 80 iso8... at worst, you'll have come out ahead of the cost by 10 after 3 matches, if you use it all 3 matches. Sure, there are rewards of iso8 throughout of higher amounts, but this latest patch has turned the game into a joke.
    I would whole-heartedly disagree with bad scores about this game prior to the patch. For a FTP game, I never felt pressure to pay in to win. I managed to take first in a week long tournament simply by spending time playing, no investment at all... After this latest patch, the game is nothing more than "balance" being used as a term for greed. A visit to the D3P forum boards will give you an idea of how frustrated and outright angry the community is currently, even 2 weeks later. Many have claimed they have received refunds through Apple due to the fact that they bought in on powers to these 2 characters with real cash, so they could get into the pvp quicker, only to have D3 "balance" the card and not offer any form of "making the customer whole" for the money they spent.
    within a week of the nerf, a Thor tournament was started...
    I recommend the game for fun, because it is. D3 had it right, they got money by making you WANT to spend it, now they've gotten greedy and are practically forcing you to buy into it. I would say to anyone, go get it... Just don't spend any money within it, you may end up with nothing to show for your $$
    I'm not going to rate the game overly harshly, though my review may seem so, only because this was an INCREDIBLE game for a long time, and it's still there, waiting for the devs to unbury it from the multitude of mistakes they've made in this most recent patch. But I'm also not going to give it the score the original game deserved, either

1. May 11, 2014
    Although free to play is the biggest trend in mobile games at the moment, it doesn't fit too well with Puzzle Quest. I'd pay ten bucks for this in a heartbeat for experiencing the campaign, but now I'm left with monotonous grinding and replaying same missions over and over in order to level my heroes to the point, that I can progress to the next fight. Pvp-games are crippled, because the matches are won by those, who are willing to spend money on their hero roster. [Apr 2014]
  2. Jan 28, 2014
    The use of Marvel characters is great, and the core idea of connecting special abilities to matching crystals is just as good now as it was back in the original Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords. I was a huge fan of that title, and Marvel Puzzle Quest proves itself to be a worthy new-school successor.
  3. Dec 28, 2013