• Publisher: ustwo
  • Release Date: Apr 3, 2014
7.9

1. Apr 4, 2014
    This game was absolutely surprising. I bought it (I think) around an hour after it was released. The game is beautiful, the soundtrack is pretty good, and the level design is incredibly clever. If you're looking for a good puzzle game on your favored iOS device, I wholeheartedly recommend Monument Valley.
  2. Apr 4, 2014
    Astounded by the inspired visuals and the use of depth perception. Awesome time waster and really well-made game. Would recommend to anyone looking for a fresh puzzle-based game.
  3. Apr 13, 2014
    The puzzle genre has been has been nice to mobile users for years and monument valley is no exeption it looks like a generic move the block to get to the goal but it it has a twist a twist in reality it some times looks like you can't do anything but your probably being tricked by its masterpiece of puzzles and the story is poetic puzzle as well it has a very good price and it literally looks like art Expand
  4. Apr 6, 2014
    Easily one of the better iPhone games ever made. While it will only last you around an hour, that hour will be extraordinary, artistic, and beautiful. "Quality over quantity" defines this game well. The art style is amazing, levels/puzzles are clever and well-designed, the plot is mysterious, and it's overall something you just have to experience. In a market over-saturated with Pay to Win games and IAP's, Monument Valley stands out and definitely deserves your attention at its $3.99 asking price. Expand
  5. Apr 6, 2014
    This game reminded me of DampGnat's Wonderputt. That is a compliment of the highest form. This game is not only beautiful, but also very deep. Even though there isn't dialogue or cutscenes, the devs get their point across. It doesn't hurt that the puzzles and gameplay are flawless. Buy this game now and never look back. We need more iOS games like this.
  6. Apr 16, 2014
    A true feat that mobile phone gaming can be artistic and well constructed. Not once did I see an advertisement or a microtransaction, and it made me feel as if it were something more than a cash in.
  7. Apr 9, 2014
    Monument Valley is an amazingly fun game. It's like Fez meets MC Escher. I only wished it was a bit longer, the ten levels can be finished in one sitting.
  8. May 11, 2014
    I just spent a very enjoyable and Zen-like two hours with Monument Valley on my iPad. It is a new, arty puzzler that brings to mind Escher, Journey and possibly Fez. It enjoys playing with your brain by playing with perspective. As a pointy-hatted princess, you have to make your way around structures that could not exist in the real world. To do so, you have to rotate levers, which may alter the environment, raise and lower paths, step on tricky-to-reach switches and befriend a blinking, yellow totem (!). If two paths don’t actually connect, but you can manipulate the view in such a way that they seem to line up, you can now actually walk across from one to the other.

It is not an entirely new concept, but is done very well here. You will pleasantly struggle to grasp the impossible bending of space, but you won’t be stumped. There was only one instance where I was stalled for a longish amount of time, because I didn’t realize that lifting a lid from one end would reveal something else beneath it, than lifting it from the other end. My sense of reality was getting in the way of my embrace of surrealism.

Monument Valley is a very short game with only ten – beautifully designed – chapters, so it won’t take you long to finish; about an hour or two. But the stylish, charmingly simple graphics, the poetic hints suggesting a melancholy backstory, the relaxing music and – of course – the surreal puzzle-platforming, make for a great experience. I guess some people will object to the relatively high price for such a short mobile game, but if you’re someone who values quality over quantity, then picking this up is – ironically – a no-brainer.
  9. Apr 7, 2014
    It seems the urgency for time has permeated the minds of the developers at ustwo. Monument Valley’s 2-3 hour play-through is the perfect amount of that decadent cake. The experience of Monument Valley is sure to please both the hardcore gamer and casual audiences alike. In fact, it is the perfect example of the importance of short and sweet, possibly introducing these polarizing audiences to a new approach in game design as seen in Journey, The Room, or EDGE. And like that decadent cake, Monument Valley’s length, design, and puzzles are mesmerizing enough to feel satisfied yet haunting enough to warrant constant craving. If DLC is abound, sign me up. Expand
  10. Jun 18, 2014
    Love it, not just a simple game but a dreamy idea that improves your imagination.
    Great design and a lot of interesting levels. If you're looking for a good puzzle game, you found it .The experience of Monument Valley is sure to please both: experienced players and just-for-fun players
  11. Jul 25, 2014
    This game is very beautiful and imaginative play. A little short, but consolation is that the player participates in an experience which you never forget. Touching and varied artwork. I will not give you the maximum points only due to the above mentioned brevity. Those who can give it a try.

1. Monument Valley is a strong contender for my mobile game of the year.
  2. Jun 7, 2014
    This is a shining example of what the amazing new technology that so many of us have tucked away in our pockets is truly capable of. [July 2014, p.78]
    Fantastic, original platformer that offers a reasonable challenge, although given its high price, it could be a little longer. [Issue#242]