• Publisher: ustwo
  • Release Date: Apr 3, 2014
8.0

1. Apr 6, 2014
    Easily one of the better iPhone games ever made. While it will only last you around an hour, that hour will be extraordinary, artistic, and beautiful. "Quality over quantity" defines this game well. The art style is amazing, levels/puzzles are clever and well-designed, the plot is mysterious, and it's overall something you just have to experience. In a market over-saturated with Pay toEasily one of the better iPhone games ever made. While it will only last you around an hour, that hour will be extraordinary, artistic, and beautiful. "Quality over quantity" defines this game well. The art style is amazing, levels/puzzles are clever and well-designed, the plot is mysterious, and it's overall something you just have to experience. In a market over-saturated with Pay to Win games and IAP's, Monument Valley stands out and definitely deserves your attention at its $3.99 asking price. Expand
  2. Apr 16, 2014
    A true feat that mobile phone gaming can be artistic and well constructed. Not once did I see an advertisement or a microtransaction, and it made me feel as if it were something more than a cash in.
  3. Apr 13, 2014
    The puzzle genre has been has been nice to mobile users for years and monument valley is no exeption it looks like a generic move the block to get to the goal but it it has a twist a twist in reality it some times looks like you can't do anything but your probably being tricked by its masterpiece of puzzles and the story is poetic puzzle as well it has a very good price and it literallyThe puzzle genre has been has been nice to mobile users for years and monument valley is no exeption it looks like a generic move the block to get to the goal but it it has a twist a twist in reality it some times looks like you can't do anything but your probably being tricked by its masterpiece of puzzles and the story is poetic puzzle as well it has a very good price and it literally looks like art Collapse
  4. Apr 9, 2014
    Monument Valley is an amazingly fun game. It's like Fez meets MC Escher. I only wished it was a bit longer, the ten levels can be finished in one sitting.
  5. Apr 6, 2014
    This game reminded me of DampGnat's Wonderputt. That is a compliment of the highest form. This game is not only beautiful, but also very deep. Even though there isn't dialogue or cutscenes, the devs get their point across. It doesn't hurt that the puzzles and gameplay are flawless. Buy this game now and never look back. We need more iOS games like this.
  6. Apr 7, 2014
    It seems the urgency for time has permeated the minds of the developers at ustwo. Monument Valley’s 2-3 hour play-through is the perfect amount of that decadent cake. The experience of Monument Valley is sure to please both the hardcore gamer and casual audiences alike. In fact, it is the perfect example of the importance of short and sweet, possibly introducing these polarizing audiencesIt seems the urgency for time has permeated the minds of the developers at ustwo. Monument Valley’s 2-3 hour play-through is the perfect amount of that decadent cake. The experience of Monument Valley is sure to please both the hardcore gamer and casual audiences alike. In fact, it is the perfect example of the importance of short and sweet, possibly introducing these polarizing audiences to a new approach in game design as seen in Journey, The Room, or EDGE. And like that decadent cake, Monument Valley’s length, design, and puzzles are mesmerizing enough to feel satisfied yet haunting enough to warrant constant craving. If DLC is abound, sign me up. Expand
  7. Apr 8, 2014
    Bought this game upon release and it is worth every penny spent. It feels like the developers have put in a lot of time and dedication into it and it shows. The only issue with it is that it is too short. 10 levels is not enough especially when each level takes about 10-15 minutes to complete. Hope the developers intend to release additional levels in a future update.
  8. Apr 4, 2014
    This game was absolutely surprising. I bought it (I think) around an hour after it was released. The game is beautiful, the soundtrack is pretty good, and the level design is incredibly clever. If you're looking for a good puzzle game on your favored iOS device, I wholeheartedly recommend Monument Valley.
  9. Apr 4, 2014
    Astounded by the inspired visuals and the use of depth perception. Awesome time waster and really well-made game. Would recommend to anyone looking for a fresh puzzle-based game.
  10. Aug 5, 2014
    Nice little artistic and hypnotic puzzle game. The atmosphere reminds me of Journey a bit, but it's not as good. I liked the puzzles and the overall experience mostly, but it's extremely short (lasts for about 1 hour), so you don't even start caring about things and suddenly it's over. That wouldn't be a problem if the game was free (which it should imo). I finished it on a friends device,Nice little artistic and hypnotic puzzle game. The atmosphere reminds me of Journey a bit, but it's not as good. I liked the puzzles and the overall experience mostly, but it's extremely short (lasts for about 1 hour), so you don't even start caring about things and suddenly it's over. That wouldn't be a problem if the game was free (which it should imo). I finished it on a friends device, so it's all good, but I can imagine I would be unpleasantly surprised if I paid for it and then finished the game under 1 hour. Freebie is something that would suit this game a lot, so I believe that's the path Monument Valley should take in the future, gaining more fans in the process. 6/10 Expand
  11. May 20, 2015
    Great game great concept great puzzles great controles just a perfect puzzle game best game on mobile platform and thanks to ustwo thatthey released it on android also because they dont take money for making it exlusive on iphone
  12. Nov 21, 2014
    This is a great little game, good for adults and children. Teaches perception, 3D thinking and imagination. Clever, subtle, beautiful, addictive, with a calm relaxing music. Pure magic. I want more.
  13. Mar 27, 2015
    Love it, Nice little game that made me dreamy though but it was a zen like experience. The art style is incredible with 3D perception along geometries executed with clever aesthetics. Absorbing, beautiful, subtle,with a calm relaxing music. Pure magic. You'll need more. Just try this. Thank you Mr. President
    #HouseOfCard got me into this.
  14. Jun 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

I played a game titled Monochrome or something similar thereto a few years back for PSP, and for all of its puzzles and looks, I've got to say that Monument Valley looks and feels very similar yet is definitely superior- if not in difficulty, in aesthetics and core gameplay. Essentially, Monument Valley is an adventure focused solely upon optical illusions and minor platforming elements melded into the uniquely fashioned levels. Each stage is relatively easy and most are short, however as the game progresses they gain more facets in design and you figure out new ways to keep old things fresh throughout, making smart use of the core elements and rehashes of established ones without growing stale. Each stage is essentially a puzzle although oftentimes there are multiple paths and similar solutions to the questions posed to players.

Make sure, whatever you do, that you don't come into the game expecting our world's laws to apply. Very much like Antichamber, the majority of those rules are left at the door and it takes a little while to get used to the new ballgame but it is well worth it once you do. All in all, the game isn't too terribly difficult but the package is highly replayable due to both its polish and simplistic gameplay elements. Despite the fact that most so-called Indie titles look the part, Monument Valley could easily be mistaken for a more high-end title as it looks crisp, even if it is on mobile devices only at this point. The colors are surreal and mix well with the varied towers and palaces of the game's princess-escape theme. Most gameplay takes on an isometric sort of viewpoint and the intermingled pathways overlap and further add to the ease with which you can traverse the seemingly complex stages- especially where switches are concerned.

Like something out of Hogwarts, staircases rotate, towers change directions they tilt, and different pathways open up as you progress further. The best thing about the game isn't necessarily the puzzles themselves but the looks of the title, which really help to warp reality and bend your views of things. At most, the puzzles themselves- though the main function of the game, are of a medium difficulty. As much as this might seem like a problem however, I found it actually compelled me to dive further into the game, sort of like the mobile platformer Badlands- also a decently easy title to complete but a visually nice one to look at. New mechanics are introduced often enough that in combination with old ones, the gameplay doesn't grow old- adding in new things such as movable objects to slide about and open up new areas.

There is a story, but I wouldn't scratch my head over it too much, as it is pretty hard to grasp and very open to interpretation. Which actually works better for the game as well, considering it is very open to interpretation in more aspects than one- environment among them. I'm hoping there are expansions to the base content, as it is pretty slim, but thankfully the high replayability of the short story adds in more content, if some of the same. As mobile games go, this is definitely one you'll want to check out and try your hand at. It might be confusing at first, but it shouldn't puzzle you for too terribly long.

Concept: Optical illusions and princesses and palaces.

Graphics: Crisp and concise when it needs to be, the towers and environments are rendered with exquisite details.

Sound: The soundtrack complements the setting quite well in most aspects.

Playability: If you can move your fingers and click then you're set.

Entertainment: It's entertaining while it lasts, however it is very short- even if the game is quite replayable. You can only enjoy it so many times once however.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 7.5
  15. Jan 22, 2015
    Monument Valley is a unique M.C. Escher type dreamscape with fantastic visuals and audio that relax the player whilst marveling at the beauty of the graphics. With very unique puzzles, Monument Valley is a must have on any iphone or ipad.
  16. May 11, 2014
    I just spent a very enjoyable and Zen-like two hours with Monument Valley on my iPad. It is a new, arty puzzler that brings to mind Escher, Journey and possibly Fez. It enjoys playing with your brain by playing with perspective. As a pointy-hatted princess, you have to make your way around structures that could not exist in the real world. To do so, you have to rotate levers, which mayI just spent a very enjoyable and Zen-like two hours with Monument Valley on my iPad. It is a new, arty puzzler that brings to mind Escher, Journey and possibly Fez. It enjoys playing with your brain by playing with perspective. As a pointy-hatted princess, you have to make your way around structures that could not exist in the real world. To do so, you have to rotate levers, which may alter the environment, raise and lower paths, step on tricky-to-reach switches and befriend a blinking, yellow totem (!). If two paths don’t actually connect, but you can manipulate the view in such a way that they seem to line up, you can now actually walk across from one to the other.

It is not an entirely new concept, but is done very well here. You will pleasantly struggle to grasp the impossible bending of space, but you won’t be stumped. There was only one instance where I was stalled for a longish amount of time, because I didn’t realize that lifting a lid from one end would reveal something else beneath it, than lifting it from the other end. My sense of reality was getting in the way of my embrace of surrealism.

Monument Valley is a very short game with only ten – beautifully designed – chapters, so it won’t take you long to finish; about an hour or two. But the stylish, charmingly simple graphics, the poetic hints suggesting a melancholy backstory, the relaxing music and – of course – the surreal puzzle-platforming, make for a great experience. I guess some people will object to the relatively high price for such a short mobile game, but if you’re someone who values quality over quantity, then picking this up is – ironically – a no-brainer.
  17. Jan 15, 2015
    One of the best games for iOS; not a hard point to argue, but I know a lot of people are skeptical because of the price point. Incredibly well developed, takes full advantage of the iPhone's graphical quality, and is "simple" enough not to frustrate with its puzzles -- just a great atmospheric journey that sits with you for a bit. If you're a fan of Fez, you'll love this.
  18. Jan 20, 2015
    Endlessly charming, fun little noggin scratcher puzzles, amazing aesthetic choice and spot-on execution. I don't normally play mobile games since my phone is a bit outdated, but I am very glad that I decided to pick this one up.

None of the puzzles outstayed their welcome, nor were the too difficult for most anyone to be able to figure out. This could be a great little game to play with your children. The atmosphere was engrossing and I truly loved the art style and aesthetics of this piece. It's hard to imagine being enraptured by little birds and a girl, but I loved the little caws, the pitter patter of the Princess' footsteps and the ambient music.

For those who believe this game was too short, I get it. I wish it was a little longer too, but it is what it is. Also, the game is super cheap. To those of you that say it should have been free, maybe you don't understand how games are made, or are too overwhelmed by free-mium type games to care. Either way, I am very happy with my $3 purchase (seriously, you're complaining about three bucks...) and will be picking up any expansions/dlc that the devs have to offer.

An easy recommendation, and a hearty 9/10 :)
  19. Jun 18, 2014
    Love it, not just a simple game but a dreamy idea that improves your imagination.
    Great design and a lot of interesting levels. If you're looking for a good puzzle game, you found it .The experience of Monument Valley is sure to please both: experienced players and just-for-fun players
  20. Jul 25, 2014
    This game is very beautiful and imaginative play. A little short, but consolation is that the player participates in an experience which you never forget. Touching and varied artwork. I will not give you the maximum points only due to the above mentioned brevity. Those who can give it a try.
  21. Nov 13, 2014
    Monument Valley is a charming and imaginative premium puzzle game that clearly demonstrates that casual iOS games don't have to be mindless or derivative. The game is short — in a "leaves you wanting more" sense — and the day after completing it (I finished it off in an evening) I found myself recommending it to everyone with an iPhone.
  22. Mar 12, 2015
    best cellphone game out there
    the puzzle's are fun and interesting while leading them with a great m.c.escher style of art. sureal landscapes and puzzles are what make this game unique, with a hidden mysterious story that flows perfectly with little dialogue.
  23. May 9, 2015
    This game is pretty awesome and has pretty awesome ideas, but sadly falls a bit short. Pretty graphics are stunning and I played it again after I finished it. I just hate how short it is. Otherwise it would get a full 10/10 from me. Its worth the price if you like short games (which I dont). But if you do, this game is a must buy for you.
  24. Apr 13, 2014

1. May 13, 2015
    This eautiful puzzle platformer is an atmospheric trip, but a tad too short. Well designed puzzles keep you occupied for couple of hours, but when the credits roll, you'll be crawing for more. [May 2015]
  2. Feb 3, 2015
    Monument Valley is a perfect combination of creative beauty and fun simplicity.
  3. Monument Valley is a strong contender for my mobile game of the year.