7.4

1. Jul 14, 2012
    First off this gorgeous,unique and engrossing game is one of my own personal Top 3 games of this year so far along with Gene Effect and Project 83113.

You really don't need my verdict after that do you? You should already be rushing to hit that download button already if you trust my judgement that is ;) Oh ok i'll humour you again then.

An epic and eerie journey of a game with a
    story that is told in a really cool and unique way which compliments the actual game greatly.

This game will pull you in and not let you go and you will certainly get lost in the experience especially when you have your headphones in to listen to the epic soundtrack.

One game,which if you found as great an experience that i did,will have you not putting it down.

Must own in my opinion and you can thank me later for pointing you in the right direction.
  2. Oct 2, 2012
    Love this game on my Iphone!.

This game is 100% innovative, totally high quality ! totally awesome!!

When it comes to PC & Mac I will buy it again!
  3. Sep 26, 2012
    Nihilumbra is a wonderful journey. A platform adventure with gorgeus graphics, excellent gameplay and a sense of discovery in every corner. One of the best games in the App Store for sure.
  4. Oct 11, 2012
    Totally unique game playing experience - this is the first Iphone game I've played and experienced some emotional response from. Tight controls and compelling gameplay + a badass atmosphere. Check it out.
  5. Oct 5, 2012
    El juego es muy bueno, todo lo que podiamos esperar de un videojuego de PC pero en el móbil. No es nada dificil, con lo bque dificilmente nos atascaremos durante la historia principal. El juego en si es muy sensible y pintoresco. Al llegar al final activa al jugador hardcore que hay dentro de nosotros para rejugar el juego en un modo que te hace estrujarte los sesos, en este aspecto es un juego perfecto. Expand
  6. Oct 3, 2012
    This game is the best on the Apple store! Seriously, if you want something with more depth and playability than other iOS games, this is it. It has a gripping story, highly entertaining puzzles, a gorgeous soundtrack and the graphics are beautiful and atmospheric. Get it!
  7. Gid
    Oct 7, 2013
    This game is just what I was looking for. Something that is simple, yet enthralling. Something that lives with you even after playing. The story sticks with you long after you play, the puzzles are truly perplexing, and the overall design and soundtrack is worked to perfection. The only way you can get what I'm talking about is to experience it yourself.

I'll try and dissect this bit by
    bit, while keeping it as short as I can (which usually means not very short), because I feel that this could help people appreciate this fully.

The design on this game is gorgeous. The different environments are a pleasure to explore. Its a design that even by looking at it, you can tell that Beautifun put a lot of thought into every single detail.

The narrative is brilliantly done. Though I might have heard this type of story once or twice before, it certainly shouldn't put you off buying this game. Being a vague as possible, you play someone who is considered lifeless and somewhere they don't belong, and as you explore the wonders that life can bring, you slowly start living yourself and becoming part of a new world. At some points, the game will say something that makes you think over, and even question, the character you're playing. I already feel like I've given enough away, so I'll move on.

The puzzles are... kind of hard to explain. The story makes you replay each level after you have finished, only harder. This is very well done indeed, and it doesn't seem to be just a way to drag on gameplay, but rather show its true potential. I'll put it this way, the first half of the game focuses on story. For this reason, the puzzles lack a bit, but I prefer to see it as the introduction as to how to use the tools given. The second half, the game focuses purely on puzzles. This is where the game starts to shine. The elements you are given work extremely well together and, surprisingly, you don't find yourself repeating the same actions over and over, which was something I thought it would do.

If I had to give it some constructive criticism, it would be this. In a puzzle game like this, where you are given different tools that you use all throughout the game, you want to make these tools as 'natural' as you can. I know I don't make sense, but I'll just explain what I was thinking when I played this game. There is an element called electricity, but the problem with this is that it seems a bit restricted as to what it can do. The electricity element can only react with electricity generators. This meant that there wasn't much flexibility for the player to experiment with, which is something that you do find in the other elements. I know I'm being knit-picky, but this is just because I can't fault this game really, and I feel as if I owe you something back, even though it's just petty advice.

I think in this case you can learn something from others. The game I'm thinking of in particular is Portal. I'm a big Portal fan, and I haven't even played it really (I basically live through let's players). The thing I find most inspiring about this (in terms of game designing) is how minimal the portal device is. The game goes 'Here's a gun. It makes portals. Something goes in one and comes out the other. Now go solve some puzzles.' This helps puzzle games feel more realistic and less like a jigsaw puzzle.

Now this isn't something you should put against the game. In fact, people will probably hate me for saying that, but I want it to be some advice to the developers (plus I'm probably the last person you should ask about game design, so don't take this too seriously). As I said before, you'll probably be spending your time better by actually buying this game rather than reading this review (honestly I don't know how you made it this far).

And I said I would keep this short. In summary, perfect design, brilliant puzzles, great atmosphere and narrative. A must buy.

1. Aug 30, 2012
    Dark atmosphere, unprecedented drama for an App Store game, amazing finale. Finally, the iOS platform has discovered its own thatgamecompany.
  2. Aug 11, 2012
    Nihilumbra is a clever and fascinating puzzle platformer that succeeds in providing a unique mobile experience. Unfortunately it's slightly spoiled by several ups and downs and a really bad difficulty curve.
    Clever puzzles, immersive presentation, and an intriguing plot combine in one of the most ambitious and original smartphone games of the year.