• Publisher: PopCap
  • Release Date: Aug 15, 2013
  • Also On: PC
5.4

1. Aug 16, 2013
    The game plays like it has no soul. It teaches you to learn how to use power-ups several boards in then a little after that slaps you with the Store where it shows you all the items you can buy. Why even present the game as f2p if you're going to shove the store at users so early? Loved the first game and felt compelled to finish it several times. It remains a no-brainer pick-up-and-play game even now. This sequel feels stiff, flat and completely unlike the first one... which in this case isn't a good thing. After waiting for the release for so long in North America I can't help but be disappointed. It's already uninstalled from my iPad. Not sure what I was hoping or expecting, if anything, but it sure wasn't this. Expand
  2. Aug 21, 2013
    After destroying Westwood studio (C&C) and crapping all over Maxis (SimCity) our beloved EA is finally laying its hand on PopCap and turning their 100% awesome game into a 100% money sucking game with a tiny tiny change to the game itself. Thank you EA, thank you very much!
  3. Aug 15, 2013
    I can't even begin to explain how disappointed I was when I went to the iOS app store to purchase this game and found out it was free. I knew in my stomach, that meant what I feared EA would do the most to this game: in-app purchases.

Just buying base plants that you already have in the first Plants Vs. Zombies are going to cost you some money out of pocket. I did the math, and it's
    roughly around twenty bucks right now just to buy about six plants. All of that isn't even including the other things they're trying to get you to waste your money on.

Needless to say, I played it for about half an hour until I realized that it wasn't anything special and gave up on it. It's already uninstalled from my device, and I will not ever play it again.

THANKS FOR NOTHING EA.
  4. Aug 16, 2013
    I'd love to give this game something higher than a 0/10, however, they delayed the game, threw in microtransactions, and while they didn't really change the formula much from the first game, they released it as an iOS exclusive, slapping Android PC gamers in the face, AND to top it off, made it require a front-facing camera, so that even those of us who have old iPhones and have moved on to Android's greener pastures, can't play it on older devices.

The 0 out of 10 is because it is unplayable on my device. It is because it is an iOS exclusive and unavailable on Android. It is because of microtransactions. I have played this game on a friend's device, and the gameplay is nearly exactly the same as the first game, with very few new twists (basically, a few small maps to navigate, and a few new plants.)

Free is about the right price for this. I was so hyped before this hit the US shores, but now that it has, and I've experienced it firsthand, New Zealand can take it back.
  5. Aug 21, 2013
    This game had potential. Too bad it was ruined by all the free-to-play hooks. This is crap, I'd rather play for a good game then be stuck with this bile. awful.
  6. Sep 7, 2013
    Oh popcap. You hang around with a bad crowd and you'll pick up thier mannerisms. EA is already corrupt and money grabbing. But not you popcap. How could you? There may not be any direct paywalls in PVZ 2. However purchase is required to get the full experience. Even plants you can earn in PvZ 1 are now only purchasable with real money. Micro transactions are fine when purely cosmetic IMO but not when they mean that your ease of progress/ endgame potential is affected by the amount of cash you put in. That is better known as pay to win. I have to admit. I find myself rather biased purely based on the quality, immersion and success of PvZ 1. A one of payment of anywhere between £10-£15 would have been an easy sell to me. There is no PvZ 2. Expand
  7. Aug 30, 2013
    As much as I want to like the sequel to one of my all-time favorite games, I just can't. The micro-transaction system saps the fun out of the game. You feel as if you're playing the video-game equivalent of a deli counter, where you must pay for each slice of cheese individually. All the sequel did was make me miss the original, which just felt more "honest." The result of the micro-transactions is a sense that, while the first game was the work of digital artists, this one is the work of digital accountants. Pass on this one. Expand
  8. Sep 13, 2013
    Yes, the gameplay is good, but the business model destroys all joy that could potentially be gained from this game. It's impossible to play it without feeling that you're being hounded for more money at every turn. This is not a game, it's a cash grab.
  9. Gid
    Oct 7, 2013
    I'll cut to the chase. It heavily relies on In-App Purchases, often seeming to shove it in your face. It doesn't really experiment with different plants to encourage different strategies and game-play styles, but rather gives more of the same, as if they thought that just giving a best-selling game a makeover was enough to satisfy customers. Even the plants are pretty much the same, just with different looks. There are a short amounts of levels, but the game tries to drag it out with replaying old missions with extra special requirements, which I would have been fine with if they weren't boring, repetitive, and just generally not challenging. You'll tire of this very quickly.

Somehow, it managed to lose the spark that won consumers over the first time. This probably because EA saw this franchise as a money-grabbing opportunity, rather than a platform as to which more innovative ideas could develop. It almost seems desperate as to how it tries to revive the magic of the first game with different looks, but when you play this, the game altogether seems a bit empty. It's as if the game is just a skin that merely looks like what it used to be. And when you take a look at its predecessor which was jam-packed with content and many mini-games which challenges players to come up with different strategies and tactics, often to great difficulty (Bobsled Bonanza, anyone?), this pales in comparison and it definitely not worth your time.
  10. Oct 10, 2013
    The game crashes every time you start it. Re-install doesn't fix it. Releasing a game that doesn't even work is really poor form EA. I did manage to get in once and play for about 2 minutes before it crashed again.
  11. Dec 14, 2013
    Plants vs Zombies was a very original and amazing game. So much depth for how simple it was. Now comes Plants vs Zombies 2: It's About Time. I cannot say the same for this unfortunate sequel.

The depth has almost completely disappeared and now it's left with only being simple. It really is lacking all the extras one came to love in the original game.

Recently there was an update
    released. This update seems to serve only to make the game even more simple and unappealing.

Now as a stand alone game without comparing it to Plants vs Zombies it's an alright game worth a play through though it does not merit much praise or replay.

Finally, the pay to win model is a big turn off. To see plants that I cannot obtain without real money does not sit well. Yes it's free game and they need to make their money somehow but this is not the way. Charging $2.99 per plant doesn't feel right. I personally will not be making any plant purchases. I cannot honestly say that the game is good enough for me to pay anything I don't have to.

Would I have bought this game for $9.99? Yes I would have and I don't think I would have fully regretted it. I only hope that this game can be saved and that if a Plants vs Zombies 3 ever comes to light that they take a step back and improve on their concept instead of taking away from it.
  12. Oct 12, 2013
    This games ok but they had to ruin it with one thing that makes this game not so fun to play. FREEMIUM You have to buy different plants to make it through hard levels. Now I know most of you can beat this without paying a dime but what about the rest? EA why did you have to ruin another franchise why?? I hope in the next installment (if there is another one) They just make it where you buy the game and that's it you play. Expand
  13. Oct 24, 2013
    Deja vu. Plants vs Zombies was an outstanding game but the EA buy-out of Popcap guaranteed the sequel was going to blow. Sure enough, what we're given is a painfully mediocre sequel buried in-app purchases and DRM. A supposedly "free" game which costs over $20 just to access all the plants.
  14. Nov 3, 2013
    This sequel does not live up to expectation. I expected the sequel of a best selling app to be better than this crap but no, we got this. Full of micro-transactions and my least favorite character, Crazy Dave, this game is horrible.
  15. Nov 8, 2013
    Take one of the most original games in recent years, add corporate greed... and you get this. Yes, you can play the game without paying for it but you cannot turn your head without another request for cash. The game just feels different than the original, the fun is missing.
  16. Dec 28, 2013
    This game is way worse then the first and it has many flaws that kill it. Updates come out extremely slowly, and after EA bought popcap it turned into a very greedy company.The levels are incredible easy and most of the constantly bombards you with ads trying to get you to spend money. Most plants costing over $6 to buy. What the hell? There is only 27 plants which is 23 less plants then the first game, and pvz2 is downright boring. Same thing every level.Just do your self a favor and don't download it. Expand
  17. Jan 20, 2014
    The first plants versus zombies game was amazing, offering a new crisp gameplay to the tower defense genre. However, this one made one fatal flaw: In app purchases. When I saw this game was free, I was a little scared. I thought the maybe it was like flow free, in which you could buy new maps or something. But the IAPs were for you to buy original plants. They were around $3. For each plant. This quickly ruined the game for me. Collapse
  18. Feb 15, 2014
    This game was unplayable. Don't tell me it is free then lock up characters. Don't tell me I can finish the game using the characters that are available. I like to play and test different strategies. Well EA you have ruined Tiger Woods, SimCity, and now Plants vs Zombies.
  19. Oct 31, 2014
    Makes the switch to free-to-play and loses it's soul. The gameplay is still largely the same. You still place out different types of plants in order to fend off waves of zombies in a unique take on the tower defense genre. However it doesn't take long to realize that the game is constantly making grabs at your wallet.

The difficulty here is much harder than the original, and not in a
    good way. It's clearly just an attempt to get you to spend money on power-ups or some of the better plants available. They even made the sunflowers practically useless. It takes them forever to pump out sunlight, so really I just relied on harvesting it without them. Really shameful stuff.

The free-to-play model really does ruin it. Not to mention it's not that different of a game than the original. You're better off replaying that one for what is probably the umpteenth time. It really is a shame to see the series turned into this. Rather than providing an entertaining experience, it's more interested in nickel and dimming you to death. Just skip it.
  20. Jan 17, 2014
    After finally getting a smartphone, this was the first game I downloaded. Loved the first and couldn't wait to finally play the sequel. And despite it being free, I still feel like I got ripped off. Despite buying the original game three times (twice for PC, once for the DS) it always seemed worth it. Every level had that perfect mix of casual fun with a little bit of challenge to keep you on your toes. PvZ2, on the other hand, has a punishing level of difficulty. You don't even have time to get your economy going before you're being swarmed. That is unless you're willing to shell out cash to cheat your way through it, which just seems cheap. It lacks the charm of the first with its minigames, your zen garden, and of course, the ability to pay up front for a complete game. Expand
  21. Apr 21, 2014
    And, once again, someone jumps on the freemium bandwagon. Apparently, the developers seem to think that people like to pay to play less, which seems to be working out for them. All the same; I do not agree, and find it an insult to my intelligence to provide a 'cheat' option.
  22. Oct 26, 2013
    Score is low not because of a "delay" but because the game is plagued with microtransactions. At some point all players will find themselves wondering "is it worth the space on my phone" and delete. The original game was fun, but this one...I played for a while, but it just wasn't FUN. That's the point of the game, right? I guess not in this version, because the point is for the player to generate In App Purchases.

Could've been really good, but instead is just frustrating and irritating. If there was a version that cost X amount up front with no IAP? Much better. Instead, you're better off playing something else.
  23. Nov 1, 2013
    I think the new plants, zombies and worlds where great. But after you complete the first world and finish the first few worlds of the pirate one you begin to think that the game is a kind of game where you need to purchase stuff to win the game, that's what ruined it for me
  24. Nov 9, 2013
    A game weighed down not by any greed or glitches, just living in the shadow of its predecessor.

I actually played this game before PvZ 1, and only got 1 after I beat the sequel. While PvZ 2 was a nice waste of time, the original was a FANTASTIC waste of time, and I could scarcely believe PvZ 1 wasn't the sequel. Besides the sleek, improved graphics of PvZ 2, and interactive world maps,
    PvZ 1 was longer, had more plants, had more mini games, had an awesome zen garden, and even had more in app purchases than its sequel.

The original also had something else lacking in the 2nd, an engaging and dynamic experience. It was a story while PvZ 2 is a grind- a fun grind, but a chore nonetheless. There's still a lot to like here, while the decapitating and electrifying "power ups" are ridiculously cheap, the plant food and its effects feels organic and adds additional depth to the game- however the new variety of worlds gets rid of as much as it adds, and while I would have expected it to be the opposite, I find myself replaying the original- tending zen gardens, and playing mini games- far more than I return to the forcibly replayable levels of the sequel.

I would have given this game a 5 or 6 before playing the original, and perhaps it is unfair to judge a game more harshly based on prior success, but I've always believed that a sequal should ADD more features to a game, not just simplify or remove- this game has great potential, and I hope to see added depth in the future, but it lacks the strategy, polish, and plethora of features the original had, and I can say without any sentimental attachment to PvZ 1 that it was simply a better game.

I couldn't care less about the in app purchases, though I sympathize with those that feel they are too expensive, but the game itself, with or without all the plants that must be purchased, feels somehow empty now that I've played the 1st, and while I sincerely hope this game is improved with more worlds, mini games, and far more plants- I'm content playing PvZ 1 for fun, and PvZ 2 for what, for all its fancy graphics and brief flashes of innovation, still feels like "Plants vs. Zombies Lite"
  25. Nov 12, 2013
    Plants vs Zombies was a true masterpiece and one of the best half-indie games (at least during earlier days) I have ever played a few years ago. Now EA comes with this. This game is a stinky free-to-play experiencie without any sense of achievement or genuine fun like the original. Among lots of frustration you may find some cool ideas for new plants, but the most part of them are useless when you reach harder levels. You'll need, at some point, a couple keys and stars in order to keep advancing. That's where MONEY talks louder than strategy. It's hard to find a replay level where a certain challenge doesn't force you to burn your hard-earned coins to activate power-ups. They're, in fact, extremely powerful and may destroy an entire wave of zombies in a few seconds, but they're also extremely expensive and you won't find many chances of getting them for free (inside bonus levels). Some of the classic plants are back, but the powerful ones are... guess what? Yeah, they're premium. A cool game that once had every single element obtainable through unlocking now have premium items. That's EA at their best.

That being said about gameplay, PvZ 2 also failed in soundtrack. I remember the gorgeous tunes we had in the first game. They were absolutely relaxing and fun to listen. There were various themes for daily levels, Zen garden, night levels, bonus levels, boss battles... they all had some kind of personality that made the soundtrack such an unique work. The sequel tried hard to follow these steps without a glance of success. After playing the Egypt levels twice, my ears begged me to turn down the volume and play on mute. Even the remixed parts taken from classic themes are annoying and bring no nostalgia at all. I think we could live without a sequel. We all saw this coming when EA purchased the franchise, but we refused to accept the facts: Plants vs Zombies was about to be destroyed and turned into a souless pay-to-win experience.

Stay away from this game. It doesn't worth your time neither your money.
  26. Feb 7, 2014
    I simply cannot understand the critics and some of the peoples' rating in this game. You see, PvZ has become what is most dreaded nowadays in the APP Store. Another pay to win, completely senseless and not at all like its predecessor. Basically, if you want to win some level you WILL have to use gold, or buy some of the upgrades. Yes, you heard that right, BUY!
    Contrary to PvZ 1 where you
    could buy the whole game and that was it, in PvZ 2 you get the game free buuuut you have to buy upgrades or gold in order to get the full experience. Not only this, but in every game update the rules are slightly or largely changed making you either spend more or recreate your tactics which will hardly work at some point.
    Lastly, the mini-games are extremely boring and repetitive.

Welcome to another buy to win app. Apparently this is a thing now.
  27. Mar 13, 2014
    The good: - New plants introduced in this game are solid and offer new things. - Some of the new maps and puzzle levels are fun. The bad: - Lacks content (only has campaign mode which is still fairly short). - Pay to win model, riddled with desperate attempts to get you to buy things. - Levels get very repetitive once you're about half way through each zone. - It's made by EA, awarded worst company 2 years running, and for good reason.

Overall, meh. If you liked the first PvZ or tower defence games, get this, but don't be tempted into buying the in app offers.
  28. Aug 2, 2014
    The first Plants VS Zombies game was simply put a masterpiece. Quirky music, great gameplay, nice graphics, it was great. Then PopCap came out with PvZ 2 which took everything that made the first game great, and chucked it out a window.

There are much fewer plants, many of which cost $3 to buy, and some plants got a huge downgrade. Take the puff-shroom. It remains free, remains with a
    range of three tiles, but it now lasts for a limited time! And about the plants that cost money? Look at the pea-nut. They took a wall-nut, took a peashooter, and said, "Give us three bucks". This is just ridiculous. Also, some of the plants in the first game (Jalapeno, Snow Pea, Squash e.t.c) now cost money!

Also, the Zen Garden. Hoo boy, the Zen Garden. This is much worse than the original one. Plants disappear when grown to full size, and overall it's just not as appealing. Some may argue that it's more useful instead of just making coins, but that's why I liked the first one. It was just a little side thing, not something you have to do to win.

Most levels are a breeze, but some levels spike up the difficulty from almost nothing to near impossible. Take the Gargantuar level in the Dark Ages. I myself had to try that level at least five times, while all the other levels I just breezed through.

Now, it isn't a horrible game, it's okay: some original plants, funny puns (E.M.Peach, anyone? No?) and some cool levels. But overall it just isn't as charming.

I've played this game for a while, and so far it's decent. But overall, if you want to get into the games, just cough up the $3 for the iOS version of PvZ 1. It's really much better. If there were no microtransactions, I'd rate this game about a 7 or 8. But EA rubbed their greedy hands and now it only gets 4. God damnit, EA.

If PopCap ever escapes the grasp of the dreaded EA zombie, I hope they make a PvZ 3 that is as good or better than the first one.
  29. Oct 6, 2014
    OK, I downloaded this game expecting it to be so much better than PvZ 1. Immediately after level 1 I notice that you have to pay for plant upgrades. I figure "OK, you can get these with in-game cash right?" I was dead wrong. This is a bigger ripoff than all facebook games and pay to play mmorpgs combined. Blind fans with money will pump up EA's Greedy ego and not realize how much more they are paying than if it was a one time payment. even if it was $50, it would at least be satisfying to know I own the game, and do not need to spend any extra. I had not played the game that long because i was so disgusted by it, but As an avid lover of both PvZ and Insaniquarium by PopCap i guess they turned a blind eye to their fans and gave EA the PvZ2 title. So if you play pvZ2 be prepared to pay with either money, or time. Expand
  30. Jan 20, 2014

1. Sep 18, 2013
    A fantastic sequel, unhindered by its free to play model. Plant this on your device now! [Nov 2013, p.78]
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time just works well in every way. The game makes good use of the Free to Play-model, with which you'll only pay for something to make it a bit easier for yourself. The game is just as enjoyable without spending a dime though.
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    A big improvement on the first game, albeit one hampered by the free to play model. [Oct 2013, p.77]