Plants vs Zombies 2: It's About Time iOS

• Publisher: PopCap
  • Release Date: Aug 15, 2013
5.5

1. Oct 31, 2014
    Makes the switch to free-to-play and loses it's soul. The gameplay is still largely the same. You still place out different types of plants in order to fend off waves of zombies in a unique take on the tower defense genre. However it doesn't take long to realize that the game is constantly making grabs at your wallet.

The difficulty here is much harder than the original, and not in a

The difficulty here is much harder than the original, and not in a good way. It's clearly just an attempt to get you to spend money on power-ups or some of the better plants available. They even made the sunflowers practically useless. It takes them forever to pump out sunlight, so really I just relied on harvesting it without them. Really shameful stuff.

The free-to-play model really does ruin it. Not to mention it's not that different of a game than the original. You're better off replaying that one for what is probably the umpteenth time. It really is a shame to see the series turned into this. Rather than providing an entertaining experience, it's more interested in nickel and dimming you to death. Just skip it.
  2. May 12, 2015
  3. Dec 6, 2015
    After all that hype, we finally got PVS 2. And it's, well-it's not BAD or anything but it's a bit disappointing. It takes FOREVER to load and apart from the time-travel twist, it's a bit too similar to the First one. It just feels a bit like a cash grab. Still, it's not an awful game. It is fun to play. Don't expect the brilliance of the first one but don't expect it to be terrible either.
  4. Jun 29, 2016
    Plants vs Zombies 2: It's About Time was a letdown for me. I never really enjoyed it, as it became way too complex. It lost the appeal that the original had.
  5. Sep 9, 2015
    I was severely disappointed with this game. I waited months for it to come out, and when it finally hit the app store, it sucked! I didn't even get pass the first ten levels I was so sick of it! It has a crap storyline, and there's no spirit in it. It's just a cash grab from PopCap.
  6. ERB
    Aug 2, 2013
    Just like any other plants vs zombies game it is too lame to be good.But I have to say this I had fun playing this game but If you look on the other side you will notice that it is a waste of time playing this.
  7. Jul 7, 2015
    Plants vs. Zombies 2 is the highly anticipated sequel to 2009's 'Plants vs. Zombies'. There's tons of new characters, and the extra challenges in each level make it a much harder game than the first one. The game doesn't lose any of its charm in the new art and gameplay style.
  8. Mar 5, 2015
    Take the stuff you love about the first (amazing, complete, classic) game....and ruin it with horrible microtransactions. Sadly, PvZ 2 is a rip-off, incomplete, "free-to-play" junk game. It is one of the worst experiences I have ever had. The game is held hostage behind paywall after paywall, practically demanding that you pay for every pixel individually. It is one of the worst valuesTake the stuff you love about the first (amazing, complete, classic) game....and ruin it with horrible microtransactions. Sadly, PvZ 2 is a rip-off, incomplete, "free-to-play" junk game. It is one of the worst experiences I have ever had. The game is held hostage behind paywall after paywall, practically demanding that you pay for every pixel individually. It is one of the worst values in gaming, and there is zero chance we ever see another great PvZ game now. Forget this trash shovel-ware game, and play the original. Expand
  9. Aug 21, 2013
    Well, the game itself is pretty good. It's PvZ again, with some new plants and zombies, and the interesting plant food mechanic. Nothing wrong with that. Had they just charged $5 for it, I'd have paid it, played happily, and this score would be an 8 or 9.

Instead we get this weird "free" model where some plants are locked behind absurdly expensive fees. Getting enough keys to open everything up feels kind of grindy at times. But the worst thing is the coins.

The coins are now used to buy power ups instead of unlocking things. The weakest power up is an extra plant food, which is pretty strong to get out of a jam or get a head start with a surge of sun. The other three are completely broken and amount to I Win buttons. So long as you use them sparingly (or not at all), you'll have plenty of coins and never have to spend a dime.

If you start relying on them... well they totally break the game. You can pay to win in the most literal way there is. It's clear that they were added so that they could sell coins to players without the patience to learn how to play the game well enough to beat all the levels. and it weakens the entire game.

My advice? Forget the three power buttons exist, and try to use the extra plant food one as rarely as you can. You'll have a lot of fun with the game if you do that. If you use those buttons frequently, there is no real challenge except paying the bill.
  10. Jul 7, 2014
    I played the first three worlds and I loved it, so much. Addictive, at that time. But, at the moment, as new worlds come out, I am starting to lose interest in the game, maybe because there are not really something changed and I have to wait a lot to play a new world...
  11. Nov 9, 2013
    This game isn't bad, its just, the first one beats it in several ways. There's the better story with the evil doctor, there is a cool boss fight at the end. The night and day, along with the pool areas differences as well as the roof transitions from PART 1 seemed to have a more meaningful and emotional impact than the transitioning between different time periods in PART 2. Something isThis game isn't bad, its just, the first one beats it in several ways. There's the better story with the evil doctor, there is a cool boss fight at the end. The night and day, along with the pool areas differences as well as the roof transitions from PART 1 seemed to have a more meaningful and emotional impact than the transitioning between different time periods in PART 2. Something is lost from part 1 and I can't put my finger on it, but PART 2 is LESS fun, yet still fun because it retains the core element of the game. They should have done more "Yeti" type characters, but that was a tiny improvement in the game. The way they asked you to spend money in the first game made me want to but things more. I beat the game without spending any money, and it wasn't as fun. Cmon EA, find the original creator and put him back to work...you guys can do better than this. Expand
  12. Mar 29, 2016
    Boy do I wish they hadn't cancelled the PC version. Truthfully, I am enjoying this more than I thought I would - The freemium/ads/power ups that cost money and all that are annoying. When you ignore all of that, and just play it similar to how you'd play PVZ1, there's fun to be had for a casual phone game. I like the different worlds, and the interesting spins and twists, and the gameBoy do I wish they hadn't cancelled the PC version. Truthfully, I am enjoying this more than I thought I would - The freemium/ads/power ups that cost money and all that are annoying. When you ignore all of that, and just play it similar to how you'd play PVZ1, there's fun to be had for a casual phone game. I like the different worlds, and the interesting spins and twists, and the game encourages you to try and use the different plants. It has side modes (Endless/Jarbreaker) and goofy little promo games. It's a fun casual game with some flaws.
    I'd rather be playing this on a full screen with a mouse, but I enjoy wasting a little time occasionally with this guy.
  13. Jun 13, 2015
    As a free-to-play fan, I couldn't have asked for much more. It improves on the first one in lots of ways and offers a very fun experience. It makes me actually feel like a destroyer. Plants vs. Zombies 2 It's About Time is a must-have for anyone with an iOS device.
  14. Feb 15, 2014
    This game was unplayable. Don't tell me it is free then lock up characters. Don't tell me I can finish the game using the characters that are available. I like to play and test different strategies. Well EA you have ruined Tiger Woods, SimCity, and now Plants vs Zombies.
  15. Jul 23, 2013
    The only reason the user reviews are so low is because PvZ 2 was delayed in the USA so that they would not have any server issues like Sim City had. I am sure that when it comes out in just a few days it will be fantastic. If you are in Australia or New Zealand, you are enjoying it right now. Love the original game!
  16. Dec 7, 2013
    The overuse of IAPs is the only disappointment of an otherwise well improved, extremely fun and far more engaging sequel to one of the best games (mobile and otherwise) of our time.
  17. Aug 18, 2013
    This game is way and I mean way better then the first one. And the first one cost money! This app has amazing cinematography and a new look and feel to it that makes you not able to turn off the game.
    Because its free, it is a must get for anyone!
  18. Jul 23, 2013
    Wow, this hate is overwhelmingly unreasonable. The majority of haters probably didn't even play it yet. Something that's delayed does not have anything to do with the quality. A great, fun, and casual but packed-with-content game as good as the first installment in the series, if not better.
  19. Jul 31, 2013
    After about a 5 days in, this is my second review, one that comes with a broader understanding as to how a free to play game can actually be done properly and fairly to any given player. I originally gave it a 6 because I thought that paying for a plant/upgrade/level was greedy. In hindsight, it's quite the opposite. Yes, it will be far more challenging and difficult to go about thisAfter about a 5 days in, this is my second review, one that comes with a broader understanding as to how a free to play game can actually be done properly and fairly to any given player. I originally gave it a 6 because I thought that paying for a plant/upgrade/level was greedy. In hindsight, it's quite the opposite. Yes, it will be far more challenging and difficult to go about this without paying for anything.. But it's very possible and actually added a new twist in that it challenged me to play without 'cheating' and going the lazy route.

First off, the game play is absolutely stellar, retina or not (I have a feeling an HD version will surface at a price sometime soon). The new concept makes it easily the best tower defense game out there with a familiar yet fresh take on the beloved first edition. The new plants and zombies made me laugh out loud and displayed how much effort went into this title. As much as I adore the first, this has already become my fav and it is beyond addictive (in a great way). On another note, because I'm a huge fan and want to support devs and creations like this, I have absolutely no problem paying for it. The beauty lies in the fact that they have given me a choice. Playing for free (with the ability to acquire everything) or pay at my own discretion. Again, brilliant and it exemplifies how to do a play for free title properly.

Pop cap, you have officially become my favorite developer and PVZ2 is now the best game I've yet to play on the iOS. P. S. If you don't want to wait for this gem, do what I did and simply change your location in settings to Australia or New Zealand. This Canadian has been enjoying the down under version early thanks to YouTube! If you liked the first one, don't hesitate to grab this beautiful addition. If you're new, then you're in for one of the most fun games you'll ever play on your phone or ipad. Sorry android, like all of the best titles, you're going to have to wait.
  20. Oct 12, 2013
    This games ok but they had to ruin it with one thing that makes this game not so fun to play. FREEMIUM You have to buy different plants to make it through hard levels. Now I know most of you can beat this without paying a dime but what about the rest? EA why did you have to ruin another franchise why?? I hope in the next installment (if there is another one) They just make it where youThis games ok but they had to ruin it with one thing that makes this game not so fun to play. FREEMIUM You have to buy different plants to make it through hard levels. Now I know most of you can beat this without paying a dime but what about the rest? EA why did you have to ruin another franchise why?? I hope in the next installment (if there is another one) They just make it where you buy the game and that's it you play. Expand
  21. Jan 13, 2014
    Entertaining strategy, free to play, and has a pretty good story line. Just about everything needed for a successful iOS game. This keeps me entertained for hours at a time!
  22. Apr 21, 2014
    And, once again, someone jumps on the freemium bandwagon. Apparently, the developers seem to think that people like to pay to play less, which seems to be working out for them. All the same; I do not agree, and find it an insult to my intelligence to provide a 'cheat' option.
  23. Jan 13, 2016
    A seriously addicting game that's both fun and challenging. The unique worlds add in different strategies and great levels of challenge. At some points, the zombie combination comes off as sheer annoyance (specifically in the Dark Ages, Big Wave Beach and Neon Mix Tape), but for the most part, the game is incredibly fun. It has many throwbacks to the first game while adding in new plants,A seriously addicting game that's both fun and challenging. The unique worlds add in different strategies and great levels of challenge. At some points, the zombie combination comes off as sheer annoyance (specifically in the Dark Ages, Big Wave Beach and Neon Mix Tape), but for the most part, the game is incredibly fun. It has many throwbacks to the first game while adding in new plants, zombies and mini-games to keep the game feeling fresh. I overall heavily enjoy the game, more so as new worlds kept being released. Expand
  24. Aug 16, 2013
    The game plays like it has no soul. It teaches you to learn how to use power-ups several boards in then a little after that slaps you with the Store where it shows you all the items you can buy. Why even present the game as f2p if you're going to shove the store at users so early? Loved the first game and felt compelled to finish it several times. It remains a no-brainer pick-up-and-playThe game plays like it has no soul. It teaches you to learn how to use power-ups several boards in then a little after that slaps you with the Store where it shows you all the items you can buy. Why even present the game as f2p if you're going to shove the store at users so early? Loved the first game and felt compelled to finish it several times. It remains a no-brainer pick-up-and-play game even now. This sequel feels stiff, flat and completely unlike the first one... which in this case isn't a good thing. After waiting for the release for so long in North America I can't help but be disappointed. It's already uninstalled from my iPad. Not sure what I was hoping or expecting, if anything, but it sure wasn't this. Expand
  25. Jan 17, 2014
    After finally getting a smartphone, this was the first game I downloaded. Loved the first and couldn't wait to finally play the sequel. And despite it being free, I still feel like I got ripped off. Despite buying the original game three times (twice for PC, once for the DS) it always seemed worth it. Every level had that perfect mix of casual fun with a little bit of challenge to keep youAfter finally getting a smartphone, this was the first game I downloaded. Loved the first and couldn't wait to finally play the sequel. And despite it being free, I still feel like I got ripped off. Despite buying the original game three times (twice for PC, once for the DS) it always seemed worth it. Every level had that perfect mix of casual fun with a little bit of challenge to keep you on your toes. PvZ2, on the other hand, has a punishing level of difficulty. You don't even have time to get your economy going before you're being swarmed. That is unless you're willing to shell out cash to cheat your way through it, which just seems cheap. It lacks the charm of the first with its minigames, your zen garden, and of course, the ability to pay up front for a complete game. Expand
  26. Jul 23, 2015
    The waves are getting boring and the developers wants you to pay to buy some flower.Musics are not good as plants vs zombies 1 and some of the special zombies are so ridiculous.Unfortunately they ruined the mood of the plants vs zombies.
  27. Aug 21, 2013
    Newsflash to everyone hating the free to play model, you don't need to pay a DIME to enjoy or finish this game. Seriously, the only reason you need to pay anything is if you want shortcut. Yes the premium plants do cost money but you don't need them, there are plenty of good plants in the game for free. You also don't need to pay for coins, the game is pretty generous in the amount ofNewsflash to everyone hating the free to play model, you don't need to pay a DIME to enjoy or finish this game. Seriously, the only reason you need to pay anything is if you want shortcut. Yes the premium plants do cost money but you don't need them, there are plenty of good plants in the game for free. You also don't need to pay for coins, the game is pretty generous in the amount of coins it hands out to you. This is a free to play model that actually works. Now that we got that out of the way on to the game.

Plants vs. Zombies 1 was a fantastic game, one of the best "Tower Defense- esque" games ever made in my opinion. This one is not quite up to par with the first one though.

The Maps: The first had 3 different maps that invoked 3 more involved strategies. When you include the night cycle (which is missing from this one) it offered many different styles of gameplay. This one does have 3 different maps but I found the strategies to be pretty similar on all levels except for needing to use one or two different plants. The star challenges do offer a bit of variety on each map but it gets predictable. Overall the designs are good but I found myself wanting more of a variety in levels.

Zombies: It is a solid collection of bad guys to fend off but I found myself missing quite a few zombies from the first one. It was odd that they did not include a couple of types like the gargantuar or zombie bob sled team.

Plants: Not as much of a variety but that is understandable since there are no swimming/flying zombies and there is no night cycle. A couple of stand outs are the Lightning Reed and Snap Dragon, the Snap Dragon is very powerful for the cost.

Powerups: A nice addition to the game though this obviously aims at making money. While you don't really need to use the special attacks or purchase plant food that often they do make many maps much easier and you get plenty enough coins to not need to use real money. You are forced to use the special attacks to get some of the stars( in specific the ones that force you to not spend anything for 60+ seconds) as it is impossible to not lose lawnmowers in those levels which is annoying.

Overall it is a fun game and the free to play models does not bother me, I did not pay anything and beat the game. It is not as good as the first but unique in its own way, I highly recommend this to any fans of plants vs. zombies 1.
  28. Mar 24, 2015
    FTP RUINED this game. PopCap took a proverbial dump on the PC users. This game was done for after three extremely flawed steps were taken in development:
    1) catered to MOBILE ONLY!?!
    2) embraced the FTP MODEL 3) Lets make new TOWERS (not just skins) cost money! (not so free to play if you know, you want to play the whole game.) *(4)* My personal opinion, adding the stupid power ups
    1) catered to MOBILE ONLY!?!
    2) embraced the FTP MODEL
    *(4)* My personal opinion, adding the stupid power ups that you have to buy if you don't grind enough levels... Why?

If you would have given me the option to pay money up front (like in the real PVZ), then you would have had my support and money.

RIP Plants vs Zombies, and I'm glad my money is not supporting your greedy play PopCap.

Played this game for like a week when it came out. I immediately lost all hype for the game, and respect for the company. Especially when you laid off the ORIGINAL DESIGNER! Wasn't greedy enough for you I suspect.
  29. Jan 4, 2014
    As a game on its own terms, it's fine. It's an enjoyable experience and giving it anything lower than an average score would be disingenuous. But as a successor to PvZ, this game is a complete and total failure. Sequels should offer more than their predecessors, but PvZ2 offers far less than the original PvZ did. The Adventure mode only features three types of terrain and isn't evenAs a game on its own terms, it's fine. It's an enjoyable experience and giving it anything lower than an average score would be disingenuous. But as a successor to PvZ, this game is a complete and total failure. Sequels should offer more than their predecessors, but PvZ2 offers far less than the original PvZ did. The Adventure mode only features three types of terrain and isn't even complete yet, there are no achievements, there are no mini-games, there's no "I, Zombie" puzzle game, there are probably less than half as many plants as there were in the first game, and many of the familiar and helpful plants are now eternally trapped behind a paywall. I'm not against free-to-play as a concept, but it has to be implemented correctly. The items you can purchase should always be unlockable within the game, even if doing so is incredibly difficult or tedious. If in-game coins could be used to purchase the plants that are trapped behind the paywall, I'd be far less upset about this, but that is not the case. Yes, I don't need those plants to beat the game, but it's still a part of the game I can't access for arbitrary reasons. I'd much rather have just paid $10 for the game rather than have to pay over $20 to access all of the plants in the game. So now that we know what the game is missing, what did it add to the mix? Well, some of the new plants are rather cool and the plant food boosters are pretty sweet. I was rather fond of the pirate world, though the other two worlds weren't quite as fun. Some of the new zombies proved to be rather challenging and forced me to rethink a lot of my strategies. Survival mode is still around, though you have to recreate your entire defense every round, which is less fun in my opinion, though it is a bit more challenging, I suppose. And... that's about it. It's not a terrible game, but it's so shallow and dull when compared to the original that it hardly deserves to be considered a sequel. Expand
  30. Nov 3, 2013
    This sequel does not live up to expectation. I expected the sequel of a best selling app to be better than this crap but no, we got this. Full of micro-transactions and my least favorite character, Crazy Dave, this game is horrible.

1. Games Master UK
    Sep 18, 2013
    A fantastic sequel, unhindered by its free to play model. Plant this on your device now! [Nov 2013, p.78]
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time just works well in every way. The game makes good use of the Free to Play-model, with which you'll only pay for something to make it a bit easier for yourself. The game is just as enjoyable without spending a dime though.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Sep 4, 2013
    A big improvement on the first game, albeit one hampered by the free to play model. [Oct 2013, p.77]