• Publisher: PopCap
  • Release Date: Aug 15, 2013
  • Also On: PC
5.3

1. Jul 23, 2013
    The only reason the user reviews are so low is because PvZ 2 was delayed in the USA so that they would not have any server issues like Sim City had. I am sure that when it comes out in just a few days it will be fantastic. If you are in Australia or New Zealand, you are enjoying it right now. Love the original game!
  2. Aug 16, 2013
    The game plays like it has no soul. It teaches you to learn how to use power-ups several boards in then a little after that slaps you with the Store where it shows you all the items you can buy. Why even present the game as f2p if you're going to shove the store at users so early? Loved the first game and felt compelled to finish it several times. It remains a no-brainer pick-up-and-play game even now. This sequel feels stiff, flat and completely unlike the first one... which in this case isn't a good thing. After waiting for the release for so long in North America I can't help but be disappointed. It's already uninstalled from my iPad. Not sure what I was hoping or expecting, if anything, but it sure wasn't this. Expand
  3. Aug 21, 2013
    After destroying Westwood studio (C&C) and crapping all over Maxis (SimCity) our beloved EA is finally laying its hand on PopCap and turning their 100% awesome game into a 100% money sucking game with a tiny tiny change to the game itself. Thank you EA, thank you very much!
  4. Jul 24, 2013
    I have been playing the same since it was released on Australia a couple of weeks ago already, and sad to say it feels a bit flat and repetitive, the first one i just could not stop playing it, but this one start annoying you rubbing your face that you will have to pay for all the plants, then it comes repetitiveness once you complete the original course of any level, seeking for stupid keys and stars to try to get more plants or pass to the next level.

I have no problem collecting stuff to progress in the game, but how it happens on PvZ2 is just boring, the same level with minor modification rules that dosent make the game more fun, just more annoying.

The finish touch is the lack of all the extra fun stuff on the original game, starting from the fun mini games and extra challenges that were FUN to play, hooo the old days, i really give it a go before posting the review, but i just cant play it anymore.
  5. Aug 15, 2013
    I can't even begin to explain how disappointed I was when I went to the iOS app store to purchase this game and found out it was free. I knew in my stomach, that meant what I feared EA would do the most to this game: in-app purchases.

Just buying base plants that you already have in the first Plants Vs. Zombies are going to cost you some money out of pocket. I did the math, and it's
    roughly around twenty bucks right now just to buy about six plants. All of that isn't even including the other things they're trying to get you to waste your money on.

Needless to say, I played it for about half an hour until I realized that it wasn't anything special and gave up on it. It's already uninstalled from my device, and I will not ever play it again.

THANKS FOR NOTHING EA.
  6. Jul 29, 2013
    The game itself is a lot of fun. If you liked the first you will indefinitely like this one. The reason it should get the 6/10 score is the way that it conducts its business plan. With micro transactions. Even the ability of saying. Games too hard! I wanna finish and paying 30 dollars for the end. Sure. People will buy it. Sure its F2P but buying a single plant for 3 dollars is unheard of. The first game had a plant garden and a stellar idea to it. This game definitely has the art-style that looks cutesy and a lot of frames then the original. If they would have kept the same business plan I would have rated it 9/10 for being a good game in general. Like the first but with a bunch more new plants. But you have to buy the plants from PVZ 1. Like the Snow Pea, Squash and Torch wood. Shame on you EA. Shame. It has a lot of new stuff including powers. But this is shameful. Expand
  7. Aug 15, 2013
    The game is similar to the previous PvZ but a greatly expanded world. It had become far more grindy to play though. This was likely added to incentivize the in-app purchases. Players are stuck grinding the same levels with additional challenges to gain access to new levels.
  8. Jul 23, 2013
    Wow, this hate is overwhelmingly unreasonable. The majority of haters probably didn't even play it yet. Something that's delayed does not have anything to do with the quality. A great, fun, and casual but packed-with-content game as good as the first installment in the series, if not better.
  9. Aug 16, 2013
    I'd love to give this game something higher than a 0/10, however, they delayed the game, threw in microtransactions, and while they didn't really change the formula much from the first game, they released it as an iOS exclusive, slapping Android PC gamers in the face, AND to top it off, made it require a front-facing camera, so that even those of us who have old iPhones and have moved on to Android's greener pastures, can't play it on older devices.

The 0 out of 10 is because it is unplayable on my device. It is because it is an iOS exclusive and unavailable on Android. It is because of microtransactions. I have played this game on a friend's device, and the gameplay is nearly exactly the same as the first game, with very few new twists (basically, a few small maps to navigate, and a few new plants.)

Free is about the right price for this. I was so hyped before this hit the US shores, but now that it has, and I've experienced it firsthand, New Zealand can take it back.
  10. Aug 21, 2013
    This game had potential. Too bad it was ruined by all the free-to-play hooks. This is crap, I'd rather play for a good game then be stuck with this bile. awful.
  11. ERB
    Aug 2, 2013
    Just like any other plants vs zombies game it is too lame to be good.But I have to say this I had fun playing this game but If you look on the other side you will notice that it is a waste of time playing this.
  12. Sep 7, 2013
    Oh popcap. You hang around with a bad crowd and you'll pick up thier mannerisms. EA is already corrupt and money grabbing. But not you popcap. How could you? There may not be any direct paywalls in PVZ 2. However purchase is required to get the full experience. Even plants you can earn in PvZ 1 are now only purchasable with real money. Micro transactions are fine when purely cosmetic IMO but not when they mean that your ease of progress/ endgame potential is affected by the amount of cash you put in. That is better known as pay to win. I have to admit. I find myself rather biased purely based on the quality, immersion and success of PvZ 1. A one of payment of anywhere between £10-£15 would have been an easy sell to me. There is no PvZ 2. Expand
  13. Aug 30, 2013
    As much as I want to like the sequel to one of my all-time favorite games, I just can't. The micro-transaction system saps the fun out of the game. You feel as if you're playing the video-game equivalent of a deli counter, where you must pay for each slice of cheese individually. All the sequel did was make me miss the original, which just felt more "honest." The result of the micro-transactions is a sense that, while the first game was the work of digital artists, this one is the work of digital accountants. Pass on this one. Expand
  14. Aug 19, 2013
    A good game that's ruined by some decisions revolving around micro transactions. First off, if you have an old device without a front facing camera, you can't play the game. Unless you have an iOS device, you can't play the game. The game is what you expect though with improved graphics and improved animations and it's free! As I played through the "Egyptian Campaing" I got a sense of the the gameplay. You collect keys which allow you to open gates to side-quests allowing you to unlock other plants, special power-ups, and so on.There are 3 campaigns but, upon beating the final level of Egypt, I was blocked from moving forward. Now the grinding begins. You have to beat each level by meeting certain parameters set, ie don’t let the zombies trample the flowers, only use x plants, don’t lose any more than y plants, don’t spend more than z sun, etc. That's good and all but (yes another but) EA has decided to help us out, only if you are willing to pay for “microtransactions” that aren’t so micro. Want to have an extra seed slot, $3.99. Want the Jalapeno, Snow Pea, Imitator and Torchwood.....$14. As one reviewer said, "At every turn there is an attempt to nickel and dime you out of some money in order to play the game". And speaking of keys and levels in the campaigns, half of them are behind locked doors, along with some plants and powerups, and if you want to collect keys to open them, you have to play and replay the levels to randomly find keys, or pay some money for them. The funny thing about all this is that EA has done this to other games and done it right. Take the Sims for example. You get the WHOLE game initially and then you can pay for additional content that UPGRADES the experience. Even the Simpsons Tapped Out, another EA game, is much more reasonable than this. Or they could take a cue from Angry Birds, another game that does this so much better. I think (now on my soapbox) we can all agree that EA does deserve to make money from this game but why not make it available on all devices and why not charge a reasonable price for the whole game like the original (I paid $9.99 to get it on my computer, $2.99 to get the HD Version on my iPad and $1.99 to get it on my iPhone). That's $15 from just me for the first one. To clarify this rant, the gameplay is fun, the graphics and animations ARE an improvement and enjoyable as they add to the experience and gameplay. The gaming experience though is tarnished as they have modeled the gameplay around pushing the microstransactions as you don't get to experience the WHOLE game unless you plan to drop approximately $20 $25. Expand
  15. Jul 31, 2013
    After about a 5 days in, this is my second review, one that comes with a broader understanding as to how a free to play game can actually be done properly and fairly to any given player. I originally gave it a 6 because I thought that paying for a plant/upgrade/level was greedy. In hindsight, it's quite the opposite. Yes, it will be far more challenging and difficult to go about this without paying for anything.. But it's very possible and actually added a new twist in that it challenged me to play without 'cheating' and going the lazy route.

First off, the game play is absolutely stellar, retina or not (I have a feeling an HD version will surface at a price sometime soon). The new concept makes it easily the best tower defense game out there with a familiar yet fresh take on the beloved first edition. The new plants and zombies made me laugh out loud and displayed how much effort went into this title. As much as I adore the first, this has already become my fav and it is beyond addictive (in a great way). On another note, because I'm a huge fan and want to support devs and creations like this, I have absolutely no problem paying for it. The beauty lies in the fact that they have given me a choice. Playing for free (with the ability to acquire everything) or pay at my own discretion. Again, brilliant and it exemplifies how to do a play for free title properly.

Pop cap, you have officially become my favorite developer and PVZ2 is now the best game I've yet to play on the iOS. P. S. If you don't want to wait for this gem, do what I did and simply change your location in settings to Australia or New Zealand. This Canadian has been enjoying the down under version early thanks to YouTube! If you liked the first one, don't hesitate to grab this beautiful addition. If you're new, then you're in for one of the most fun games you'll ever play on your phone or ipad. Sorry android, like all of the best titles, you're going to have to wait.
  16. Aug 15, 2013
    The game is has a lot of the original game's features in it but does have some plants that are not included unless paid for, some as much as $4. Despite the fact that there are pay-to-win features in it, it is still a very enjoyable game and most things can be done without the help of real life or in-game currency. Hearty recommendation even though it is a free-mium game.
  17. Oct 19, 2013
    Well, here we are. Plants vs Zombies 2. It's been an agonizing wait, but it's finally here! And our wait of 5+ years has been a disappointing, soulless trek of a game with micro-transactions like Tokyo has neon lights.
    I don't even know if we can call this Plants vs Zombies 2; Plants vs Zombies 1.5 seems like a more fitting title. All the charm and colour of the first game has been sucked
    out and replaced with a cold, watery substance. It's still fun, but the first game was fun too. Why do I say that? Because this game feels more like a Ctrl C/Ctrl V project than a whole new game. There are some new powerups and plants, and there's a few new settings too but they do little to change the formula.
    Popcap and EA have been going around saying they've done things to 'give the plants some more personality,' but they seem to have failed miserably. It's not bad, per se, it just feels lifeless and cold. I can only recommend this to hardcore PvZ fans, and even then that's stretching it.
  18. Sep 13, 2013
    Yes, the gameplay is good, but the business model destroys all joy that could potentially be gained from this game. It's impossible to play it without feeling that you're being hounded for more money at every turn. This is not a game, it's a cash grab.
  19. Gid
    Oct 7, 2013
    I'll cut to the chase. It heavily relies on In-App Purchases, often seeming to shove it in your face. It doesn't really experiment with different plants to encourage different strategies and game-play styles, but rather gives more of the same, as if they thought that just giving a best-selling game a makeover was enough to satisfy customers. Even the plants are pretty much the same, just with different looks. There are a short amounts of levels, but the game tries to drag it out with replaying old missions with extra special requirements, which I would have been fine with if they weren't boring, repetitive, and just generally not challenging. You'll tire of this very quickly.

Somehow, it managed to lose the spark that won consumers over the first time. This probably because EA saw this franchise as a money-grabbing opportunity, rather than a platform as to which more innovative ideas could develop. It almost seems desperate as to how it tries to revive the magic of the first game with different looks, but when you play this, the game altogether seems a bit empty. It's as if the game is just a skin that merely looks like what it used to be. And when you take a look at its predecessor which was jam-packed with content and many mini-games which challenges players to come up with different strategies and tactics, often to great difficulty (Bobsled Bonanza, anyone?), this pales in comparison and it definitely not worth your time.
  20. Aug 21, 2013
    Well, the game itself is pretty good. It's PvZ again, with some new plants and zombies, and the interesting plant food mechanic. Nothing wrong with that. Had they just charged $5 for it, I'd have paid it, played happily, and this score would be an 8 or 9.

Instead we get this weird "free" model where some plants are locked behind absurdly expensive fees. Getting enough keys to open
    everything up feels kind of grindy at times. But the worst thing is the coins.

The coins are now used to buy power ups instead of unlocking things. The weakest power up is an extra plant food, which is pretty strong to get out of a jam or get a head start with a surge of sun. The other three are completely broken and amount to I Win buttons. So long as you use them sparingly (or not at all), you'll have plenty of coins and never have to spend a dime.

If you start relying on them... well they totally break the game. You can pay to win in the most literal way there is. It's clear that they were added so that they could sell coins to players without the patience to learn how to play the game well enough to beat all the levels. and it weakens the entire game.

My advice? Forget the three power buttons exist, and try to use the extra plant food one as rarely as you can. You'll have a lot of fun with the game if you do that. If you use those buttons frequently, there is no real challenge except paying the bill.
  21. Aug 21, 2013
    Newsflash to everyone hating the free to play model, you don't need to pay a DIME to enjoy or finish this game. Seriously, the only reason you need to pay anything is if you want shortcut. Yes the premium plants do cost money but you don't need them, there are plenty of good plants in the game for free. You also don't need to pay for coins, the game is pretty generous in the amount of coins it hands out to you. This is a free to play model that actually works. Now that we got that out of the way on to the game.

Plants vs. Zombies 1 was a fantastic game, one of the best "Tower Defense- esque" games ever made in my opinion. This one is not quite up to par with the first one though.

The Maps: The first had 3 different maps that invoked 3 more involved strategies. When you include the night cycle (which is missing from this one) it offered many different styles of gameplay. This one does have 3 different maps but I found the strategies to be pretty similar on all levels except for needing to use one or two different plants. The star challenges do offer a bit of variety on each map but it gets predictable. Overall the designs are good but I found myself wanting more of a variety in levels.

Zombies: It is a solid collection of bad guys to fend off but I found myself missing quite a few zombies from the first one. It was odd that they did not include a couple of types like the gargantuar or zombie bob sled team.

Plants: Not as much of a variety but that is understandable since there are no swimming/flying zombies and there is no night cycle. A couple of stand outs are the Lightning Reed and Snap Dragon, the Snap Dragon is very powerful for the cost.

Powerups: A nice addition to the game though this obviously aims at making money. While you don't really need to use the special attacks or purchase plant food that often they do make many maps much easier and you get plenty enough coins to not need to use real money. You are forced to use the special attacks to get some of the stars( in specific the ones that force you to not spend anything for 60+ seconds) as it is impossible to not lose lawnmowers in those levels which is annoying.

Overall it is a fun game and the free to play models does not bother me, I did not pay anything and beat the game. It is not as good as the first but unique in its own way, I highly recommend this to any fans of plants vs. zombies 1.
  22. Aug 18, 2013
    This game is way and I mean way better then the first one. And the first one cost money! This app has amazing cinematography and a new look and feel to it that makes you not able to turn off the game.
    Because its free, it is a must get for anyone!
  23. Jul 26, 2013
    Wow what an unbelievable title. This is how sequels should be made with more content and strategies. The story and zombies are awesome.

Disregard the F2P concerns this game is designed to appeal to all!
  24. Oct 10, 2013
    The game crashes every time you start it. Re-install doesn't fix it. Releasing a game that doesn't even work is really poor form EA. I did manage to get in once and play for about 2 minutes before it crashed again.
  25. Oct 2, 2013
    Over the years, I managed to beat the original PvZ on my PC, then Mac, then iPad. So, clearly I liked the game. It was a fun and addictive game.

The problem with PvZ 2 is it's just not that fun. The grinding nature of the gameplay takes me back to the mid-90s RPGs where you would just fight battle after battle to advance (bear with me on this analogy). It was pretty fun for me, I was 7
    and I knew that's what I was getting into with the RPGs and at least it served a purpose to level up my guys and give me new attacks. The grinding in PvZ 2 is annoying because it serves no purpose other than to frustrate you and make you spend money to advance.

Not letting you advance because you don't have enough stars really does hamper the fun. Games are supposed to be fun! Not frustrating exercises in repetition as this game is.

And for those people that say they have had a blast grinding through level after level...I gotta say..it seems to me that you haven't played a lot of really fun games before. And if you're a casual gamer of the post-Wii generation...I'm sorry to say but you really don't know how to enjoy a game properly because chances are you've just been conditioned to play freemium games and think "all games are like this, hence it's fun". They're not all like that and freemium games are rarely fun and they're often little more than tedious cash grabs.
  26. Dec 14, 2013
    Plants vs Zombies was a very original and amazing game. So much depth for how simple it was. Now comes Plants vs Zombies 2: It's About Time. I cannot say the same for this unfortunate sequel.

The depth has almost completely disappeared and now it's left with only being simple. It really is lacking all the extras one came to love in the original game.

Recently there was an update
    released. This update seems to serve only to make the game even more simple and unappealing.

Now as a stand alone game without comparing it to Plants vs Zombies it's an alright game worth a play through though it does not merit much praise or replay.

Finally, the pay to win model is a big turn off. To see plants that I cannot obtain without real money does not sit well. Yes it's free game and they need to make their money somehow but this is not the way. Charging $2.99 per plant doesn't feel right. I personally will not be making any plant purchases. I cannot honestly say that the game is good enough for me to pay anything I don't have to.

Would I have bought this game for $9.99? Yes I would have and I don't think I would have fully regretted it. I only hope that this game can be saved and that if a Plants vs Zombies 3 ever comes to light that they take a step back and improve on their concept instead of taking away from it.
  27. Oct 12, 2013
    This games ok but they had to ruin it with one thing that makes this game not so fun to play. FREEMIUM You have to buy different plants to make it through hard levels. Now I know most of you can beat this without paying a dime but what about the rest? EA why did you have to ruin another franchise why?? I hope in the next installment (if there is another one) They just make it where you buy the game and that's it you play. Expand
  28. Sep 27, 2013
    Pretty much the same game as the first, but now with more hassle to load up and start a game. The in app purchases feel out of place and uncalled for, though.
  29. Sep 28, 2013
    After being such a huge fan of the first game, and seeing this one was free, it was a day one purchase for me. And after playing for a couple of hours, I could already see why this game is free. The biggest problem with this game is the the developers got greedy. To unlock most of the game, you need to either grind for keys, which takes hours just to get a few, or pay money for them. You also pay money for coins, power ups, and getting the full game experience. So unless you want to play the same levels over and over again, you have to pay real money. And also, you have to play the same levels over again, just due to the fact you need stars. The challenges, whilst fun, are repetitive and can get boring. There's also not as much content as it might seem, the game just pads itself out for no reason. The game also doesn't have much creativity as the first, whilst the first all the mini games are unique, the challenges in this game are just the same challenges repeated with more difficulty. The game also really barley innovates. Most of the plants are just the old plants from the first, including the plants you have to pay for. The new plants are alright, welcome additions, but there is not enough new ones to make the game feel unique. The humor is also not as good as the first game, I only laughed once at this game, Dave's new partner is not funny and takes away from the charm of the original game.

The game does have good parts. The game is still fun, if barley changed. The music is great, very catchy just like the first, though most songs are just remix's. The graphics are great, though I prefer the original games art style, it just feels more stylish and cartoony. Also, through the whole game, I used plants from all over the game, whether as in the first game a lot of plants were situational and I rarely used half of the plants.

I recommend getting the game, but only because it is free. It is such a disappointment, but still worth it because of the 0 dollar price tag. Don't actually waste money on it though, it's really not worth it. Also, I would only just complete the main levels, the other levels take way to much grinding to get to. If you haven't played original, get it instead. Actually worth your time and money, unlike the sequel.
  30. Oct 24, 2013
    Deja vu. Plants vs Zombies was an outstanding game but the EA buy-out of Popcap guaranteed the sequel was going to blow. Sure enough, what we're given is a painfully mediocre sequel buried in-app purchases and DRM. A supposedly "free" game which costs over $20 just to access all the plants.

1. Sep 18, 2013
    A fantastic sequel, unhindered by its free to play model. Plant this on your device now! [Nov 2013, p.78]
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time just works well in every way. The game makes good use of the Free to Play-model, with which you'll only pay for something to make it a bit easier for yourself. The game is just as enjoyable without spending a dime though.
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    A big improvement on the first game, albeit one hampered by the free to play model. [Oct 2013, p.77]