6.7

1. Dec 31, 2013
    This clever little in-your-off-time game is free, nice, and doesn't require obscene quantities of cash to find nice. Buy, fly, and deck out your airline, buy airports, do events, anything a clever tycoon would want to do. Not much action or effort needed, as flying planes is a tap of the finger, but be wary, the game can be addicting. Pretty unique.

It's also free, so go ahead. You've
    got nothing to lose, except maybe dozens of hours of your life. Expand
  2. Dec 2, 2013
    From the makers of Tiny Towers comes Pocket Planes (gotta love those alliterations). Using a similar approach to Pocket Planes, you're given a set of planes and some money and your goal is to build your airline empire from the ground up.

This game benefits from being more complex than it's sister game, requiring more strategy and precision in the decisions that you make. However, this
    complexity without much reward makes this game confusing without reward and less satisfying when you're reaching success.

This games pacing is also significantly slower than Tiny Towers, which makes this game less enjoyable at first. Upgrading, buying new planes, and new airports is initially very expensive work. It's slow and tiresome work, and when you finally push past the expense barriers, there's nothing to truly reward you for your effort.

Yet, somehow this game pulled me in like Tiny Towers did. My gaming obsessive compulsions that this game takes advantage of makes me stare at the game for hours trying to navigate my planes efficiently and getting all the bux I can get to upgrade and make my enterprise better. Other times, I open up the game and then think maybe later.

I just don't know what to make of it. I share a love-hate relationship with this game. It will draw you in like Tiny Tower, but it's slower to do so, and the rewards aren't that significant and are less visible than your ever-climbing tower. On the other side, it's more complex and strategic and sometimes I really want to buy every airport, and upgrade everything. It's really a toss up, and it is a good time killer, but beyond that, there's no reward and no incentive beyond the obsessive compulsions of the completionist gamer or those with many friends to compete with.
  3. Oct 16, 2013
    This is one of my favorite iOS games and one of my most played. There is no pressure to spend real-life money as you easily gain lots of bux. There is definitely more freedom than most other tycoon games and I find it smoother than NimbleBit's previous game of this style, Tiny Tower. It certainly deserves its place in my dock.
  4. May 5, 2013
    Tycoon-lovers, this is YOUR call! This game is really entertaining and definitely worth a play and just like Tiny Tower. And we still have the hilarious BitBook to look at!
  5. Aug 2, 2012
    Pocket Planes is exactly what free-to-play games should be. There is of course the possibility of using real-life money to buy in-game currency, but this option is far from obligating players to pay. It matters much more on how you're building your airline than how many real life money you spend on the game; and creating your own airline is a lot of fun: you will have to think a lot on what kind of aircraft you have and where your airports are placed. Events are a brilliant idea of Nimblebit and a great way of earning bux and money without having to wait a lot or having to spend real money. I give this game a 9 only because I think it may be a bit boring to just wait for your flights to arrive and the leveling system may block you from growing faster due to its airport limitations per level, but as this game is free and a lot of fun, everyone with an iOS device should give it a try. Expand
  6. Jun 28, 2012
    I love this game and now I play it everyday! If you liked Tiny Tower, this game is twice as fun and addicting. Tycoon lovers must have this airline experience!

1. Jul 26, 2012
    Pocket Planes is free, which makes it perfect to give it a try. Collecting money and bucks is slow if you don't spend real money, but in time you can expand your airline without taking out your wallet. Too bad, though, the game is incredibly passive; you do nothing but sending out flights and waiting for the money to roll in.
  2. Jul 24, 2012
    Take away the freemium structure and the need to wait for ages between goes and we'd happily play it for hours at a time. [Sept 2012, p.110]
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    There's a lot of fun to be had in the game without spending any money, since you can find bux floating around and you'll earn some with every level.