6.0

1. Feb 28, 2013
    An amazing achievement of graphics and game-play on a mobile device. Sadly, EA got involved, and most of the design decisions have thus revolved around the one big question... "How can we force our users to pay more money". The result is one of the most horrible gaming experiences I have come across, where forced waiting times, forced upgrades and unavoidable vehicle damage (ie just *using* a vehicle gives it damage) attempt to extract as much real money as possible. Its cynical and oh so frustrating to see in what would otherwise be a show-stopping experience. Expand
  2. Mar 3, 2013
    This is a visually stunning and well design racing sim. Camera angles are handled well and the sense of speed is excellent.

A lot of the criticism surrounding the payment/waiting system seems to be closely tied to how much you play it. I've found that playing for 30 min spats has worked out fine. Furthermore, if you drive clean, then you're rewarded by needing less repairs. This is one
    aspect of the design I wish more games took into consideration. Anyone saying you can't go through a race without accruing damage is probably driving sloppily to be honest. Also, you can raise with damage, but you take minor performance hits to acceleration, top speed, etc. Some console sims DO penalize you for driving off the track or ramming other cars in terms of tire wear or the need for repairs. To me this seems pretty suitable for a mobile game to incorporate. The more skilled you are the more quickly and easily you'll progress.

There are wait times for upgrades, but if you have more than one car (which is the case as you progress), then you'll be able to switch to another car. The time shift racing aspect definitely gives it a nice amount of competitiveness as well, as long as you have some gamecenter/facebook friends using the game. You'll still see other players around the globe playing, but it's fun to see a friend one-upping your own records. All in all, this is a great game at a very low cost. It is a sim at hear, so I wouldn't expect it to appeal as much to someone expecting a Need For Speed type arcade experience.
  3. Mar 1, 2013
    An absolutely gorgeous game (especially on the iPad's Retina Display) marred by only a few shortfalls: the generally unobtrusive, yet ever present, attempts to get the player to spend real money via IAPs; the "if you don't use our currency to speed up delivery, we'll make you wait" trick for upgrades and repairs; and the fact that while your car is easily damaged (and its performance is negatively affected), other cars are not at all affected not even superficially by your collisions with them. AI is generally stupid, too: if you try and pass another car on the inside of a corner, they'll haphazardly and senselessly crash into you.

The ultra-negative reviews are just hating because hating on EA and Activision is the 'cool' thing to do now on the internet... I guess they think that it increases their street cred, or whatever. Either way, this game is actually pretty good: it's really not that hard to ignore the IAP cash-in attempts (the wait times are usually pretty short), and you can switch to other cars in the meantime, and the graphics and gameplay are by far the best I've seen in an iOS-based racing game.
  4. Feb 28, 2013
    A fun addictive game, that makes you wait for repairs, allowing you to catch up on work, and other games in your back catalogue. You're so thoughtful EA!
  5. Mar 3, 2013
    So this game is a better looking, better sounding Real Racing 2. The time shifted multiplayer is an awesome idea and works quite well. So why 1 star? Repair costs: higher end cars can cost thousands to repair, and you can't cover the cost if you don't win 1st in a race (and some events have really cheap payouts). To restart a race, you actually have to exit the app, and quit it from the fast app switcher. After performing maintenance, the "race" button is now replaced with a "repair now" button. Same colour and size too, so it's really easy to accidently spend 6 coins because you forgot about the timer. The multiplayer oftens chooses a good set of opponents, but some races are so easy, you end up lapping 2nd place. Other races pitted my stock Audi against all Porshe 911s which it was impossible to climb above 11th place. Expand
  6. Mar 1, 2013
    When i download and start a racing game and the game tells me after few minutes: your done. you cant race anymore. wait or way... i cannot help but feel insulted.

I maybe *could* understand this kind of behavior in facebook games or casuals. But inserting this kind of mechanik to a game that is clearly designed for GAMERS is nothing short of stupid. I would gladly pay 10... what the
    hell... even 20 Euro for this kind of game. Upfront. But this way: I hope you get the bill EA... I hope people realise there is a line crossed... Expand
  7. Mar 30, 2013
    Considering this game is free on the app store, it is very good. The graphics are stunning for iOS and there are lots of races and events to play through.
  8. Mar 9, 2013
    Tried to delight people with good graphics, but it fails in the basic, and despite it's "free", the game begs to money spent. When the game have a price (coming with the paid features) and do the basic better, it will deserve a "3" as score.
  9. Apr 22, 2013
    This must be by far the best racing game available on the ios and I just can't get enough of it. The graphics are stunning and the gameplay is just as awesome. What I especially like it that you can buy and car at any time, all you need is to build up enough cash. No need to unlock this and that. Get the cash, and buy the car you want. As easy as that. And that is why Real Racing 3 is the real deal. Expand
  10. Mar 1, 2013
    Graphically on par with Real Racing 2, maybe a slight edge over the previous release but the new IAP system and the fact that you must wait a specified amount of time for servicing your vehicle is a nail in the coffin for this game. I'll stick to Real Racing 2, a far more enjoyable game. If EA continues to release free-to-play games as they stated they will, Real Racing 2 may be the last of it's kind. Expand
  11. Mar 28, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this game. The graphics are very good on my retina iPad, and the gameplay is excellent. Regarding the controversy surrounding the in-app payments system, I've been playing it for at least an hour a day since it came out, and I've only once been tempted to spend any real money at all, a temptation I resisted at the last moment! If, as others have said, you buy (with in game fake money) several cars, you can be racing another car while your damaged one is being repaired, so it's no big deal. Or go out for a walk! Again, I agree with others here that if you drive well, you don't have a big repair bill at the end of every race.

One thing I'd like to see is more information about other players, especially my Facebook friends also playing the game. It would be great to see what cars they have, what mods they've bought, what their track records are etc.

Another thing is that, after a few weeks, having only the same nine tracks to choose from gets a bit repetitive. It would be great if more tracks were in the pipeline. At least there are variations in the way the tracks are played full races, 1 on 1, speed trials etc.

But on the whole, it's a professionally made, but free game, that's kept me returning to play it again and again.
  12. Apr 29, 2013
    I have been playing a lot of iOS race games and I can say that Real Racing is one of the best games of this genre. The graphics are very polished, there is a lot of fun, many cars, many races, and it is a free game. The con is a lack of replay and no multiplayer, that is very bad, even so the game is worth it.
  13. Jun 2, 2013
    I've been playing this great game for a long time and now I can tell with no shadow of doubt that the microtransactiom system just screwed the all the game. Great phisics, graphics that are just incredible... You can see that someone spent a lot of time in every detail to make a great game. But, come on! Get 800$ after winning a game with a car worth 500.000$ and that any of it's 20-30 upgrades costs at least 40.000$? Looks like someone is trying hard to make me spend some money. Until now you could say that I'm just afraid to spend some dollars, but even that part is just ridiculous... If you pay 10 dollars, a reasonably amount of money for apps and a price that I would certainly would payed for this game, you can have only 300.000$ of the game money. You can buy only one car and maybe upgrade it. And not even a great car. You gonna need dozens of fully updated cars to get to the half of the game. The 5 millions pack costs 100 dollars... It's just too much for a app. For me it's the only pack that really could make the game more easy. The first ones just don't make real difference.
    I could understand that kind a system (with, obviously, lower prices) on a facebook game or some game for casual players, but in a harcore game like this? They just ruined a big game.
  14. Sep 5, 2013
    Another Game ruined by Eletronic Arts.

"repair now" button. Same colour and size too, so it's really easy to accidently spend 6 coins because you forgot about the timer. Expand
  15. Oct 11, 2013
    Graphics: 9/10 Realism: 8/10 Appropriate for All Ages: 10/10 Gameplay: 7/10 Price 10/10 Multiplayer: 2/10 In-Game Purchases: 6/10 Overall: 8.7/10

One of my all time favorite games. The graphics are some of the best (except for the very front of the first car you buy, ugh.) Very realistic, using real tracks, real cars, and especially good virtual prices- they put in a really good prize
    money for winning races, and good money for repairs, upgrades, and even buying vehicles. The PR level is probably the most annoying feature of the game because in some spots it is limited. Lastly, they seriously beg for in-game purchases, especially with those racing coins. Sure they give you plenty of opportunities to get them for free- however I am scared to spend the 65 I earned for free. Expand
  16. Nov 2, 2013
    These people want you to fork over $200 usd just to get you through the first six series of the game. That means, several hundred races. And you wont see any real racing cars yet, that doesn’t start for another 6 series.

Don’t want to pay? You can bore yourself to death racing like an idiot over an over to raise money to purchase cars and pay for the expensive upgrades. Mind you, any
    race you lose you will have to be waiting for a long time until you get to race again. For example, service time on a Porsche in the “Everyday Heroes” race is 1h and 50 mins.

So, even if you spend $200, it wont get you anywhere. That is 20 times the fair price for mobile game like that and you still end up empty handed and frustrated.

This should serve as a warning to parents, because their children could rack up quite a bill if they have access to their Apple Store password.

Last but not least, the game features the cheesiest soundtrack I have ever heard on a racing game.

My recommendation: If you are a fan of racing simulations, buy yourself a PlayStation 4 with Gran Turismo. For a fraction of the price you will get full access to an REAL racing simulation with an amazing soundtrack, Formula 1 cars, rally cars and it is a delightful experience.

Veredict: Gave Real Racing 3 a 1 star review and uninstalled it from my iPad.
  17. Nov 18, 2013
    Real Racing 3 is a fantastic game for the iOS platform. If you do not have a newer model of an Apple product, you and your device will have a moderately difficult time running the large racing simulator. I have had this game crash multiple times, either in the middle of a race, or while the game is loading. However, the fact that Electronic Arts has managed to apply such detailed three-dimensional graphics, this factor counter acts the lack of processing power on my current device.
    As I said before, the three-dimensional graphics applied to this game are extremely detailed; I have not managed to find a game with better graphics on the iOS so far. The sound may not be as high quality as the graphics but there is a benefit to the moderate sound quality, EACH SOUND IS DIFFERENT FOR EACH CAR.
    I have a few suggestions such as, when your vehicle needs servicing; I have noticed that the time it takes to service it increases with the class of the vehicle. I suggest that Electronic Arts should keep the servicing time the same for each vehicle. Perhaps 5 to 7 minutes?
    I also suggest that in the store menu, Electronic Arts could put an exchange service, where as you can trade in game money (Also known as R$) for gold.

I enjoy Real Racing 3 and I give kudos to Electronic Arts for producing an excellent iOS gaming experience.
  18. Nov 17, 2013
    The only thing I like about Real Racing 3 is the cars. What I disliked are the use of multiplayer, service, the way to unlock the cars, and the difficulty to win races in 1st place.
  19. Dec 14, 2013
    It's graphics and gameplay are undoubtedly the finest. Yet, it is a bit of a cash grab as money always seems to get involved. Also, the cars are sometimes too sensitive and gets damaged easily. However, everything else succeeds to make this a good gaming experience.
  20. Dec 12, 2013
    This game is awesome. You can say the graphic are pretty good. The game play is interesting most of the time. The music is giving me some awesome kick. The sad thing is, the you need to wait for services and car deliveries every time you buy a car. But this is still great.
  21. Dec 21, 2013
    Real Racing 3 can best be described in a few words. The best racing on Iphone is a perfect description. It looks great, and the gameplay is rock solid.
  22. Dec 16, 2013
    For a free game, the graphics are great, its very playable, and infectious. However, once you start progressing towards the "real" racers, it becomes difficult. To get better cars and win, you need to upgrade your current vehicles, some of which cost 100s of "Gold". That's costly. To then get the better cars, they cost 100s of Gold too. Not only that, it is actually difficult to get the "gold" other than buying it. An example: 400 gold coins £34.99,1000 £69.99!!!!! Some upgrades cost between 80 and 120 gold coins, just for one, and you might have to get 7 or 8 to get the better car and win to progress.
    In short, you will grind to a halt. I cannot see how I can get to the Ferraris without spending huge amounts on Gold to upgrade my cars!!! Any ideas from you experts........
  23. Jan 30, 2014
    I think this is the best racing game I've payed on the ipad. The graphics are excellent, lots of great cars, it makes you feel like you're really racing. Unfortunately with each upgrade the focus has become more about extracting the absolute maximum amount of cash from players. I've played since the game came out frequently several hours a day. I've spent about $30 buying extra gold to buy cars. It used to be that once you owned all of the cars in a race series, you could compete the series with cars updated with race dollars, earned by playing. Now every new series requires upgrades with gold in order to complete.

I just bought the 66 Shelby cobra. I spent $20 to get the gold to buy it. In order to finish this series I will need at least 120 more gold to upgrade the car before I can even enter the few races. That will cost me another $20 or playing every day for 4 months.

I own 73 of the 79 cars. The last 6 cars cost a total of 3000 gold. That would $300 or playing every day for 1500 days. $300 is ludicrous. That's enough for a home gaming system.

On top of that is their tech support. I spent $10 and bought 65 gold. At the time I actually did it because I liked the game so much and hadn't paid a cent. I thought they actually deserved some money. Then my gold disappeared. I asked their tech support for help in late November 2013. Since then I have receive 3 responses, all asking for information, the same auto request each time. I answered each one with the information requested. I gave them the same info each time, exactly as requested. I've spent about 3 hours of effort trying to get help, It's January 30/14 and they have done nothing.

Without a doubt the worst tech support I have seen since I got my first computer in1990.

A great game but don't expect to complete the game unless you're rich. Don't ever expect help.

1. Apr 13, 2013
    A great game with gorgeous looks spoiled by excessive in-app demands. [May 2013, p.86]
  2. Apr 9, 2013
    A fantastic tablet racing game, but one that greatly overestimates its own importance and value with slow progress and expensive in-app purchases. [May 2013, p.81]
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    With the beautiful graphics and large amount of content, Real Racing 3 could be one of the best games the smartphone has ever seen. However the microtransactions and long waiting times take away much of the fun.