6.8

1. May 13, 2014
    It has a pretty nice library of upgrades, I was excited for unlocking them. This game hasn't dissapointed me, I was just searching for games and this gave me a good impression and was ridiculous but still motivating to keep playing and searching down the sea. I would say the worst part about it are obviously some upgrades, and one part when jellyfishes are like a bug in the sky, when you use one specific weapon, that one where you have to press two fingers to make the explotion even bigger I discovered that trick by myself by the way (still those jellyfishes are annoying all the time is a waste of time and they remove money if you kill them). It was interesting because there was lot of species. However unfortunatly I would have loved if every upgrade was right or was useful. It is really lovely because I think is art anyway, the playability is ok it look hard but is manageable, it has a beautiful context is a quiet game and the story is obviously poor but fantastic and all starts really mysterious and is quite interesting I would highly recommend it. Ridiculous Fishing, A Tale of Redemption 8.5 Expand
  2. Dec 26, 2013
    Really? Really with the critic ratings? Absolutely the most mindless mini party game I have ever played? Not even worth a free download. That said.... it's not showing up in the top downloads anyway
  3. Dec 19, 2013
    Would maybe have played this a bit longer than 5 minutes if it was free. Not worth your time in this day and age, about as innovative as Pong.

Buyer's advice: NO BUY.
  4. Dec 19, 2013
    Fun for 30 seconds, but just another turd by this 'game' company. I played flash games like this 10 years ago when Macromedia Shockwave was still hot.
  5. Jun 6, 2013
    Yet another game for iOS that would struggle to qualify as a free "flash" based browser game on any other system. So shallow..so so little to do..sooo repetitive.
  6. May 24, 2013
    Who came up with this cool art style? What made this game so addictive and popular? Where can I listen to more of this great music? When did the game lose its addictive nature so fast? Why are the tilt controls spot on and fun to use? How much more deeper do I have to go in the last fishing hole?
  7. May 16, 2013
    Great fun and very addicting. Also none of that F2P crap as everything can be purchased via the money you earn in game. It's not a deep game but it is a very well balanced touch arcade game.
  8. May 8, 2013
    Want 3 really fun minigames put together in a ridiculous manner? Want easily obtainable yet fun upgrades with no freemium nonsense? Good game, nothing spectacular but easily worth $3
  9. Apr 29, 2013
    This game, like most other iPhone Apps was good for a while but then turned boring. I enjoyed this game at first making me keep playing to see what I could upgrade on my rod but also to see the different fish that their were. This game is highly addictive during the first levels but then starts to drag on during the higher levels. The graphics are simple yet fit right in being bright and colourful. This game was worth the 69p that was paid for it as I found it funnier than playing games such as angry birds and other games which are just money grabbing. I have full respect for the developers "Vlambeer". I would recommend this game to people that have spare time on their hands. Expand
  10. Apr 13, 2013
    Charming. beautiful graphics and awesome game play, this is an addictive and appealing game all around. I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it at first but I keep going back to it, last time I was this attached to an app was Angry Birds.
  11. Mar 31, 2013
    My first Meta-review, and I was compelled to write it to save others from wasting full price on this "game". As a new iPhone owner, I have found great success with the Metacritic's reviews when looking for a new game. This one had been top of the heap for a while so I decided to take a chance, despite the quirky concept. Now I don't mind simple or repetitive games, but this is just terrible! If this were a free offering it would still be a waste of time. Even my 7 and 6 year old kids can find no entertainment in this time waster. Comparisons likening this to a Mario Party mini game are spot on. You will be bored within minutes. Expand
  12. Mar 21, 2013
    Ridiculous Fishing is an excellent game. The fishing portion of the game consists of 3 stages. You first cast your fishing line and try to lower it into the water as far as possible. While you are doing this, you are using the tilt functions of your device to avoid fish. Once you hit a fish, you bring your line to the surface all the while using the tilt functions to touch as many fish as you can. Once you reach the surface, the fish fly into the air and you use a gun to shoot the fish. While the game play sounds silly, in reality it is extremely fun and original. As you catch/shoot fish, you gain money which you can use to buy upgrades which help you go deeper and find more fish. Meanwhile, the fish you encounter have different properties such as aggression and speed which will alter your strategy and keep the game fresh. The game is currently priced at $2.99 which is more than fair considering the game has no in-app-purchases. I highly recommend you try this game. Expand
  13. Mar 20, 2013
    The best I can call this game is an alright Mini game that belongs in Mario party and not on your I-phone. I find the tilt controls over sensitive and the gameplay fun only in small doses, and after about 15 minutes play the game gets boring making you want to play something else. I would only recommend this game if you have a 15 min commute to work by subway, bus, or taxi and only play it when your sick of angry birds. Expand
  14. Mar 19, 2013
    Perhaps the "upgrade game" perfected Ridiculous Fishing was quite addictive, but never enough to be disgustingly so, I was able to feel satisfied and put it down after 30 minutes to an hour play session. During that time, I still felt as if I was progressing in my skill with the three minigames, and the upgrades remained interesting enough. It offers a lot of interesting on ideas of progression of three central mechanics, and how you can scale them in complexity enemy placement and behavior as we drop the hook, how to pace the hook as you go back up deciding between hooking more fish and being unable to defeat the larger one in the shooting stage, or hooking less at risk of wasting time if you don't defeat the larger fish, then the shooting minigame.

I'm not really a fan of the genre of games like this mostly just because I feel sort of empty afterwards (Though the experience may be enjoyable), *relative to other games*, I don't find myself with much to reflect on that isn't strictly game design but the game has a wonderful presentation and aesthetics, and it does let you abstract away some lessons for game development elsewhere. And the point of the game wasn't designed to be to give me lots of non-game-design stuff to reflect on. If you're lucky enough to own an iThing (I'm not, had to borrow a friend's for a few hours), give it a go, if you're even remotely interested in this genre of game. It's by far one of the best ones you can own on an iOS device, and it's only three bucks.
  15. Mar 17, 2013
    The first thing that strikes when you start the game is the amount of polishing that went in this game. Everything is smooth and responsive. Everything looks nice and colorfull. But what about the gameplay? It's great! It has the perfect balance of playtime and stressfull parts. It starts slow, avoid the fishes, then gets a little less tense once the line goes back up. Finally, when the fishes get thrown in the air it gets really tense. For me this is perfect. In just one game the pace changes at key points and is just short enough for quick plays or longer gaming sessions. Plus you can buy lots of stuff n the store that enhances the gameplay and there is no IAP. A must in any collection! Expand
  16. JPB
    Mar 17, 2013
    A modestly fun yet uninspiring mini-game to play for half an hour before it gets repetitive. Nothing more nothing less. The fact that it is scoring so highly is a mystery to me (and must be vaguely insulting for those who work on more ambitious games).
  17. Mar 17, 2013
    I bought this game because it had a phenomenal Metascore, and the last iPhone game I bought for that reason was the incredible Year Walk. Well, Ridiculous Fishing is no Year Walk. It's disappointing. It feels like a flash game and nothing more. I can't believe I actually spent money on it. It's repetitive, and the main mechanic is a flash game staple: upgrades. If it ever becomes free, you should pick it up, but otherwise, just go to Kongregate and save your money. Expand
  18. Mar 16, 2013
    Look, the iPhone/iPad is full of great, addictive games. But not many of those games look great, play great, are fun, AND give you bang for your buck. Ridiculous Fishing is an amazing deal at $2.99 I've gotten more enjoyment out of this game in the two days I've owned it that I've enjoyed most of my PS Vita games since the console launched. You will NOT be disappointed.
  19. Mar 16, 2013
    The only other game like this on the iPhone is Ninja Fishing. It's hard to argue with free, but the difference is in the gameplay. Ninja Fishing is all about grinding to avoid those freemium purchases. Ridiculous fishing paces fishing with getting new gear in a much more pleasing way. You're pay money and you get a game. No more purchases while playing, and no levels out of reach because you need to fish for 24 hours to unlock it. Expand
  20. Mar 16, 2013
    Beautiful times, full of that "just one more try and I know I can do it" feelin'. The best kind of nonsense, all the way through to the end sequence, which brings a tear to the eye.
  21. JPB
    Mar 17, 2013

1. May 9, 2013
    An aquatic arcade romp with buckets of charm, style and humour. [June 2013, p.86]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Worth it for the first few hours of hopeless addiction, the satisfaction of encountering new creatures, and the enticing allure of testing out all the new equipment. [June 2013, p.84]
  3. Apr 18, 2013
    It may lack substance in the long-term, but it provides an experience which is admirably oriented towards pure intuitive fun, presented in a way which is great to look at and humorous in tone.