Sonic CD iOS

8.7

1. Mar 14, 2012
    Wow, Fanboy's are us ! I played this the first time around and although it was ok at the time, gaming has moved on, I really dont know what fun people can eek out of this other than thinking "my god I am glad we are not in the 90's aymore". It's Sonic and it still has the same problems that Sonic always had, no real flow to it, unless you are one of the below reviewers and have devotedWow, Fanboy's are us ! I played this the first time around and although it was ok at the time, gaming has moved on, I really dont know what fun people can eek out of this other than thinking "my god I am glad we are not in the 90's aymore". It's Sonic and it still has the same problems that Sonic always had, no real flow to it, unless you are one of the below reviewers and have devoted your life to small spiky blue things, then chances are you will spend most of your time losing your rings and getting frustrated at which path to take. And this one I would say is worse than the others, half the time you don't know where you are supposed to be going, let alone having to deal with the sometimes annoying controls.

Good for a bit of retro fun, but I certainly wouldn't give it anywhere near 10 out of 10 in the year 2012, I have given it a 5 and 4 of them are because it is nice to see again. The 1 is for the gameplay.
  2. Oct 28, 2016
    The game itself is quite good. Solid framerate, even on a 4S; the physics are decent such that you end up where you think you will, and off-the-hook music. However, this port suffers from mediocre touch controls and the fact that the developers had the hairbrained idea to put ads in it despite it being a paid app! Wanna remove those ads? Pay another fee that you may as well buy anotherThe game itself is quite good. Solid framerate, even on a 4S; the physics are decent such that you end up where you think you will, and off-the-hook music. However, this port suffers from mediocre touch controls and the fact that the developers had the hairbrained idea to put ads in it despite it being a paid app! Wanna remove those ads? Pay another fee that you may as well buy another game with! I feel that last point can be best summed up by James Rolfe: "What were they thinking!?" Expand
  3. Dec 15, 2011
    Sonic CD for iOS is absolutely amazing. This is not just a regular emulated port like the other downloadable Sonic games, but it's actually been recreated from the ground up by a member of the Sonic fan community. The amount of care and detail that has been put into this is unbelievable.

For those not familiar with the game, Sonic CD was originally released for the Sega CD system in 1993. Director Naoto Ohshima took the foundation built from Sonic 1 and made it into his vision of a Sonic game. The result is what is probably considered the most stylistic and surreal Sonic game there is.

At first, it may seem like another typical Sonic game, which in a lot of ways it is. But beyond running through levels and spinning signposts at the end, there's a whole new twist added to the mix: time travel. If you want to fully complete the game and see the good ending, you'll have to travel back to the past to save the future.

New features added to this game are the option to switch between the original Japanese soundtrack and the U.S. one, the option to switch between the original spindash and the Genesis-styled one, and the coolest new feature: the ability to play as Sonic's buddy Tails. This game also runs in widescreen instead of shrinking everything, which is a really nice touch.

So yeah, if you're a fan of Sonic or platformers in general, you need to get Sonic CD on iOS. For the cheap price, it's nothing less than perfect.

1. Jan 4, 2012
    Sonic CD is as a must buy for all the Sonic the Hedgehog fans out there, as well as for anyone looking for a solid platform game, capable of combining speed and taste for exploration.
    Sonic CD is a gem that should be played by any fan of Sonic.
  3. Dec 23, 2011
    Sure some elements, like the happy-go-lucky soundtrack that sounds like C&C Music Factory for Kids, feel a little dated – but Sonic CD delivers everywhere that it counts. If you're a fan of the Hedgehog from way back, but have had your heart broken by other mobile ports, fret not – Sonic CD is the game you've been waiting for.