8.7

1. Dec 15, 2011
    If this is the same game with tails then its a fantastic purchase, especially for only $2. The REAL Sonic 2, this game can be beaten in a few hours, but truely mastering it is very difficult. I still have the original SEGA CD disk for this game, and have never gotten the "good" ending nor all of the chaos emeralds. Every level has 3 acts. The first 2 acts have a bad machine to destroy in the past. If you destroy it, it gives you a good future for the level. The bad future is polluted and broken down. Then good future is squeeky clean. Likewise, when you destroy the bad machine, all the enemies in the level die in the past, present, and future. The levels change between the past, present, and future, and some areas of the past aren't easily accessible. You travel through time by running past a "past" or "future" post and going fast enough for a long enough time to trigger time travel. If you destroy the bad machines in both the first 2 acts, the 3rd act will be a good future. If you don't, the 3rd act is a bad future. Each time period for each level has its own music track, including the good vs bad future. As with the different time periods, the good future has some areas that are inaccessible to the bad future.

Special stage is 3d and you try to blow up UFOs. Blow them all up and get the chaos emerald. Really simple compared to a modern sonic game. All you do is steer, sonic accelerates on his own, try not to run in the pools of water else they sap your time.

This is the only sonic game to feature his super sprint or whatever its called (press up on the d pad and press jump). Its like the spin dash but for running instead. Its not very useful because your vulnerable. However, if you have super shoes, you can run over enemies if you go fast enough, although your not invulnerable to spiked enemies.

Right now downloading the game and its... very slow. And it errored out. So be warned your not going to get to play this immediately. Note that I'm downloading the android version.

Original game featured a super cheesy "Sonic Boom" theme song and animations as well as a time attack mode. Wonder if this port does as well...
  2. Dec 16, 2011
    Sonic CD for iOS is an incredible game. It plays and feels just like the original from 1993, but better. This version was ported by Christian Whitehead ("The Taxman"), a long time Sonic fan and game development guru. It retains the classic graphics, with improved effects. The gameplay and controls are also improved, borrowing Sonic 2's speed and spindash. (The original controls are still available as an option for those who prefer them.) The game includes both the US and Japan soundtracks, and has Tails as an unlockable playable character. The achievements are not many, but are a cool addition to the game nonetheless. So are the online Game Center leaderboards. The virtual gamepad is implemented very nicely, and doesn't get in the way even if you're used to playing the game with a joystick. The game can be beaten fairly quickly if you're willing to see only the bad ending, but to get the complete experience, a lot of exploration is involved. I would easily pay $10 for this game, and for the current price, you'd have to be crazy not to get it. Running smoothly at 60FPS at all times, Sonic CD for iOS sets a very high standard for iOS ports. Expand
  3. Dec 15, 2011
    Sonic CD for iOS is absolutely amazing. This is not just a regular emulated port like the other downloadable Sonic games, but it's actually been recreated from the ground up by a member of the Sonic fan community. The amount of care and detail that has been put into this is unbelievable.

For those not familiar with the game, Sonic CD was originally released for the Sega CD system in 1993.
    Director Naoto Ohshima took the foundation built from Sonic 1 and made it into his vision of a Sonic game. The result is what is probably considered the most stylistic and surreal Sonic game there is.

At first, it may seem like another typical Sonic game, which in a lot of ways it is. But beyond running through levels and spinning signposts at the end, there's a whole new twist added to the mix: time travel. If you want to fully complete the game and see the good ending, you'll have to travel back to the past to save the future.

New features added to this game are the option to switch between the original Japanese soundtrack and the U.S. one, the option to switch between the original spindash and the Genesis-styled one, and the coolest new feature: the ability to play as Sonic's buddy Tails. This game also runs in widescreen instead of shrinking everything, which is a really nice touch.

So yeah, if you're a fan of Sonic or platformers in general, you need to get Sonic CD on iOS. For the cheap price, it's nothing less than perfect.
  4. Feb 8, 2012
    Sonic, at its prime, in this game. One of the grand games of its time and frustrating platforming game. Another Sonic game I would definitely buy. The only thing I wouldn't like is the time warp aspect, which makes this game more of a completion trial rather than a straight runthrough.
  5. May 17, 2012
    This is a very unappreciated platforming masterpiece. If your a fan download this game ASAP! I great, speedy, with solid gameplay as well. For those who don't know, this is where Metal Sonic got his start. Many people consider the secondary boss (Metal Sonic) to be one of Sonic best 2d bosses. Download this game today and check out what all the hoop-lah's about! This game is a classic...
  6. Dec 16, 2011
    Sonic CD was an awesome game on Sega CD, and this is by far the best port of this game. for the first time you can choose either the American or the Japanese soundtrack, and the themes are perfectly "looped". Visually is also better, with real wide-screen ratio and pixel filters. Game-play has improved as well, you can choose either the Sonic CD Spin Dash or the more popular Mega Drive Spin Dash, Tails is a playable character with his own move-set and the whole game runs at 60 fps, which are very helpful on the Special Stages.

Sonic CD is probably the best game of the franchise and thus far this is the best version of this masterpiece. It only costs 2$, so I recommend this game for every single Sonic fan, old and new, and for every fan of platform game.
  7. Feb 17, 2012
    OK i have played it so hard lately that surely I don't have anything to complain about... it's the best port ever made since those 90s old-school Sonic games that I spent so many time playing... BUT i don't know, it's not the same thing playing on the iPad, i miss the real controlpad on platformers, specially quick ones
  8. Jun 11, 2012
    This game was already great before, coupled with all the new features, and the fact that the controls work comfortably on iOS, this game now outmatches even Sonic's first game ever.
  9. Feb 21, 2013
    This is a really great port of Sonic CD. Not only does it include both the american and japanese soundtracks (first time ever) it also includes tails as an unlockiable character, reworked physics engine, and the screen resolution remade to fit the screen perfectly, This is a really awesome port, and a great way to play an underapreciated and forgotten sonic title, which has some of sonics 2D best.
  10. Aug 8, 2013
    Best 2d game EVER this game is my fourth favorite and if I were I sum up this game in one word it would be masterpiece the music in this game is just breathtaking its very catchy very memorable and sets the atmosphere well if someone says they don't remember what tidal tempest or metal sonic race sounds like they are lying out of there a** the stages are extremely colorful bright and vivid I love the art style it's just so charming how could anyone not the stages are very creative and memorable and well varied all of the stages fell different in structure and are beautiful to look at the game has good bosses to but the second and final boss. Are disappointing the pinball boss could have been cool and the final boss is pathetically easy but that is literally the only problem I have with this game it is a perfect port that is even better than the original the game also has time travel that is just as awesome as it sounds the music and stage both change when you time travel but the thing is its cool because its the same stage but differnt perspective this game like earthbound heavy rain and bioshock infinite could be considered an experience the first time I played this game my mind was blown its an experience I will never forget and unlike games like heavy rain it's incredibly fun to play as well I could just play this game over and over and over and over and over again the feeling you get in this game can't be described with words you feel removed from the world and put into another plane of exist I urge you with all of many soul BUY THIS GAME you will not be disappointed Expand
  11. Dec 17, 2013
    The first of Christian Whitehead's Sonic restorations. I had never gotten to play the classic game, but only watch it. One day, I searched Sonic in the app store, and this was on the sidelines, so I had to pick it up.

The main thing that sets this game apart is the idea of splitting the zones into a past, a present, a good future, and a bad future. There are sign posts distributed
    throughout the acts that let you go in between each of these time zones. It's initially frustrating getting the speed and consistency necessary to time travel, but when you figure out the best ways to go about it, you can easily go back and forth between the times to ensure that you get the best future. Then again, you could just rush through all the zones and not care at all, which is more likely than not, cause this is Sonic. However, there is a sense of satisfaction when you create a good future and get to run through the enemy free future that has a much more beautiful backdrop and happy music.

The special stages put a grin on my face though. What's more fun than bashing UFO's to get the chaos emeralds (they aren't called this in the game, but let's be honest).

This game is vibrant and colorful. Most stages are enjoyable, but some are gimmicky and infuriating (I'm looking at you Wacky Workbench). Some stages require a lot of precision like Metallic Madness, but some let you move at incredible speeds beyond most of the classical Sonic games like in Stardust Speedway. This game also introduces Metal Sonic, whom you get to challenge to a race.

Yes, the time travel is a gimmick, but it enhances the gameplay appropriately and allows you to have an influence on gameplay style unusual to classic Sonic gameplay. Not every stage is a winner, but most of the levels are colorful and thoroughly enjoyable with several high notes. This game should be in any platforming connoisseurs collection.
  12. Jan 3, 2014
    The iOS port of Sonic CD is amazing, Sonic CD is my favorite Sonic game and this is the game I was wanting for all those years, a Sonic CD where I could go anywhere with it. The game is perfect, gameplay is nice, I always had problems with iOS platformers due how weird is to control by touching the screen, but I didn't had this problem on Sonic CD. The ability to change the soundtrack between the American and Japanese is a welcome addition, since I always preferred the Japanese soundtrack, being able to control Tails as a extra bonus is also something I wanted. Expand
  13. Jun 21, 2014
    This near perfect game is everything a classic sonic game is. Almost everything about this game is awesome so I'm going to review this game . Well The main good point is the gameplay, it plays like a generic 2D classic sonic game with good controls all responsive, if your playing this version you will know the controls straight away they are that simple. The graphics are some of the best even though its in 16-bit style and they might even rival grand theft auto ( you never know). Another good point is the music because it is simply some of the best in all classic games I liked the metal sonic rival race music . my only complaints are very minor and they are, the game is way too easy and the bosses are easy as pie. Well overall I say give the game a go if you are a fan of the sonic franchise or not I garantee you will like it but don't expect to be pulling out your hair because this isn't megaman Expand

1. Jan 4, 2012
    Sonic CD is as a must buy for all the Sonic the Hedgehog fans out there, as well as for anyone looking for a solid platform game, capable of combining speed and taste for exploration.
    Sonic CD is a gem that should be played by any fan of Sonic.
  3. Dec 23, 2011
    Sure some elements, like the happy-go-lucky soundtrack that sounds like C&C Music Factory for Kids, feel a little dated – but Sonic CD delivers everywhere that it counts. If you're a fan of the Hedgehog from way back, but have had your heart broken by other mobile ports, fret not – Sonic CD is the game you've been waiting for.