Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 iOS

6.7

1. Mar 17, 2012
    It's a fun game at times, but the problems are very apparent. Physics problems are apparent, enemy placement is poor, the bosses are rehashed, and the music synths are like dying cats and dogs. It's not worth the name Sonic 4. Though if you get past it, you're in for an average platformer. Its rehashed themes are taken in original ways, it's fast, and blazing through the levels is fun.It's a fun game at times, but the problems are very apparent. Physics problems are apparent, enemy placement is poor, the bosses are rehashed, and the music synths are like dying cats and dogs. It's not worth the name Sonic 4. Though if you get past it, you're in for an average platformer. Its rehashed themes are taken in original ways, it's fast, and blazing through the levels is fun. Even though it can be fun to play, the physics will ruin your fun. Expand
  2. Dec 17, 2013
    It was great when SEGA tried bring Sonic back to a more classic style. I don't even care so much that the homing attack made it into the classic style of gameplay. The main things that upset me are the physics that feel slightly off and how infuriatingly difficult the final boss was. I think I've laid down over 100 lives on that annoying thing.

The level design as a whole isn't

The level design as a whole isn't entirely satisfying. They aren't bad, but neither do they compare to the classics. Although zones are long, there's usually just one strict path to be taken, and there's not much replay value as a result.

SEGA could've done better than this, and this game is all in all, a letdown. There are good moments, but none will ever compare to the classics.

1. Mar 20, 2011
    Sonic 4 Episode 1 is a strange combination of new and old, some of it works and some doesn't but as a package it still comes together as a more than decent Sonic game that will delight both old fans and newcomers.
    This is much better than the usual emulator crap that Sega throws at the iOS audience. It is still not at the top of iOS gaming due to touch controls that arenĀ“t always as good as the competition. Lots of colours, good sense of speed and a fun albeit rather short game. Well worth a buy if it goes on sale.
  3. Feb 21, 2011
    I myself am disappointed and frustrated with Sonic 4 at times, but there are more rays of light here for the series than any other game in the franchise has shown in the past decade.