• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Apr 9, 2014
5.4

1. Apr 28, 2014
    Trials Frontier is a game where you can play it for a week and not get bored immideatly. Unfortunately, the game got an issue with quest progression when you get to the tier 3 bikes and though it may seem like coins aren't an issue in the game, they will be quickly after 2-3 weeks of playing. Gems aren't difficult to get hold of. The fortune wheel after each track can be manipulated to getTrials Frontier is a game where you can play it for a week and not get bored immideatly. Unfortunately, the game got an issue with quest progression when you get to the tier 3 bikes and though it may seem like coins aren't an issue in the game, they will be quickly after 2-3 weeks of playing. Gems aren't difficult to get hold of. The fortune wheel after each track can be manipulated to get gems multiple times in a row or whatever item you want. There are no issues of playing this game without paying anything, it's just that the game is littered with the option to use gems.

There are a few good things about it. The hourly slot machine is a good twist to the game and gives you a good amount of stuff if you use it a few times per day. Using it more gives you better rewards but the challenges get slightly more difficult. Which is good as this game franchise is all about skill progression. ANBA is a good tool to improve your times, even though sometimes it's choosing tracks that are difficult to get a better time on. And then there's the amount of tracks in the game. Right now I have about 55 tracks unlocked and about half of the map uncovered, but then you have the issue with the fuel, so you can't play all of them frequently.
    Then you have the most important thing. It's Trials and it got a good physics engine, you're still controlling the rider, not the bike when leaning. You can't complain that this game 'is the same **** as everything else'.

There's a lot of things that can be done better and smoother. Some of the prices for things in game and in-app purchases should be lowered, at this moment a lot of them are very high. And there are many things that needs change, but are impossible to change unless RedLynx wants to completely change the F2P model of the game. But you should definitely try this game if you haven't played Trials before (and if you have). You can play this game for a while during the initial 10 levels without having to wait for fuel and then decide if it's worth it or not.
  2. May 26, 2014
    Trials Frontier is a great mobile experience. You have the great 2D physics based racing game plus uograding and playing a lot of tracks. Of course you have to pay at a certain point in the game but until then you are fine to enjoy the game for free.

And i payed 20€ for the Trials Fusin game and puting that kind of money into Trials Frontier is totally fine for me. Plus you get unlocks if you finish certain tracks in both games. Its a really fun game and i am glad i supported the developers. You can do too.
  3. Apr 20, 2014
    Trials Frontier could have been an excellent Trials experience on the iOS platform if not for the free-to-play business model. The game is riddled with tasks involving grinding and time sinks, all in an attempt to encourage the player to purchase resources, and that becomes expensive fairly quickly if one wants normal gameplay progression. Verdict: Not recommended.
  4. Jun 7, 2014
    A decent Trials game made free-to-play on mobile devices. While they nailed the series physics based gameplay, the free-to-play structure and mission based gameplay do make it feel like a noticeably different experience. Grinding through missions and levels for characters might be a turn off for some, especially those who want a classic Trails experience, but for those who know that thisA decent Trials game made free-to-play on mobile devices. While they nailed the series physics based gameplay, the free-to-play structure and mission based gameplay do make it feel like a noticeably different experience. Grinding through missions and levels for characters might be a turn off for some, especially those who want a classic Trails experience, but for those who know that this style of gameplay is expected in most mobile games will not have an issue.

As far as the in-purchases go, they aren't that big of a deal. Like most games they make it faster to progress, but the game provides many alternatives so that you don't have to dish out your cash. This may mean the game can feel like a grind for you at times, but it doesn't really ruin what is otherwise an enjoyable experience. The biggest issue I have with the game is that from a technical aspect it's not the greatest. Load times can be irritatingly long and freezing can occur during the loading screens. I also would have hard times getting the game to start without a wifi connection available. These issues are what got in the way of my fun the most.

Overall the game has some pretty big issues. Issues that will turn off the more easily irritated among us. That being said it is still a fun game. Considering it's micro-transactions aren't necessary I have to say it's free-to-play structure doesn't ruin the series. So if you're a Trials fan who wants to take one of the series on the go, then I believe this will work for you. It has some noticeable changes to the series form, and some technical issues, but overall the expected Trials gameplay is here and I believe it will keep you coming back.
  5. Apr 3, 2015
    An utterly despicable game using despicable methods to make you pay to win. Why not release it at a fixed price? I would have gladly bought it. After a while you hit a wall where the game pits you against online players who have the better bikes and gear.. Why do that? Then you have tracks that are impossible to complete unless you pay to upgrade your bike... The amount you pay to get aAn utterly despicable game using despicable methods to make you pay to win. Why not release it at a fixed price? I would have gladly bought it. After a while you hit a wall where the game pits you against online players who have the better bikes and gear.. Why do that? Then you have tracks that are impossible to complete unless you pay to upgrade your bike... The amount you pay to get a full experience is more than quadruple the price of a console game and you could then buy a console too. If you want to progress normally like a console Trials game, I'm talking £79 $79 for a bunch of coins... Same price for diamonds and so on. Yeah back to the progress wall that you hit... You get to missions that you can't complete... Characters that you can't win against... Pitted against live opponents who have more power you... Then your story missions dry out because you can't get anywhere!! All geared to force you to pay. I'm not paying over £100 and more for a trials game on a mobile phone. Not when the superior console versions have never been more than £20. So yeah after I couldn't get anywhere there was no choice but to delete it. The one single point I give it is that it was ok while it lasted. What a waste of my time. Avoid. Expand
  6. Jul 17, 2014
    This is probably the most frustrating game i have ever wasted my time on. It is based upon the 'pay to win play to lose' concept, giving you a mission to first race an oppenent and then spin a wheel to get a CHANCE to win the item you need, otherwise go back and try again. Some tracks are intentionally made impossible to complete without paying diamonds which are nearly impossible to getThis is probably the most frustrating game i have ever wasted my time on. It is based upon the 'pay to win play to lose' concept, giving you a mission to first race an oppenent and then spin a wheel to get a CHANCE to win the item you need, otherwise go back and try again. Some tracks are intentionally made impossible to complete without paying diamonds which are nearly impossible to get your hands on without paying up. Otherwise it can be a lot of fun To a certain point whereafter it gets stupid difficult and you will be spamming the retry button. I dont recommend wasting your time with this piece of s&!%. Expand
  7. Mar 28, 2015
    I was really liking this game until I starting having problems connecting with my friends, then I could not participate in any competitions then I tried to reload the game and I lost everything. Did not like the game after that.
  8. Jun 2, 2014
    I remove/delete this game from my ipad.. suck.. need new bikes for each mision,
    For new bike, u need booster to get win a blueprints..
    Booster?? u need real money to buy a booster for 2 hours run

1. Jun 7, 2014
    We've seen worse, but this is still a disgraceful payment system. [July 2014, p.79]
  2. Jun 7, 2014
    Frontier doesn't stand so well on its own, but it's a neat free appetiser. [Issue#249, p.77]
  3. May 7, 2014
    Trials Frontier looks and is controlled like a Trials game, but the free-to-play elements are so rooted that you can’t ignore them, and you’ll probably leave the game very soon.