XCOM: Enemy Unknown iOS

7.7

1. Sep 29, 2013
    Much of the iOS gaming community looked at the App Store deployment of XCOM with jaded eyes: tipping the scales at $20, it's expensive, and it is a port from a console. Justifiably, many looked at it as another attempt to wring some more cash out of gamer, and sure it is; that's the games industry. But the iOS release of XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a rarity: a port that actually surpasses itsMuch of the iOS gaming community looked at the App Store deployment of XCOM with jaded eyes: tipping the scales at $20, it's expensive, and it is a port from a console. Justifiably, many looked at it as another attempt to wring some more cash out of gamer, and sure it is; that's the games industry. But the iOS release of XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a rarity: a port that actually surpasses its source material. With only a few exceptions, this tablet version of XCOM is better than the console or PC versions. Let's take a look at it. First of all, nearly all of the console features are present, yes PRESENT, in the tablet release. Usually, we can bank on large pieces going missing when anything is ported to lesser hardware, but with the exception of a bunch of largely-unnecessary cutscenes, everything has been faithfully preserved and included in the iOS version. Second, the hardware's reliance upon touchscreen control actually yields a (mostly) superior experience to either preceding version; control interface is fluid, intuitive, and marks a high-water mark in the attempt to create a user interface that provides seamless transition from intent to command. (That's usually...more on that in a second.) Graphics are solid if somewhat lower-caliber than other versions, although they look great on an iPad retina display, and sound is outstanding even on the 'Pad's built-in speaker. 2K also retained the procedurally-generated map feature, ensuring that you don't run through the exact same map on every mission; there's variability in most maps. The experience isn't perfect, though, and there are some issues that many gamers may find less than endearing. First, expect XCOM to drain your Pad's battery in a hurry. A 100% battery will drain itself dry in 4-5 hours of play at most; even plugged in to an AC adapter, the game still draws so much that the battery will be discharging slightly. There will be framerate problems, particularly on large maps involving a lot of animation (especially fires), so Battleship maps will drag terribly from time to time. And, while the touch interface is a vast improvement over any gamepad or mouse-and-keyboard setup, it's going to misinterpret your intentions regularly. As unit movement and camera movement share gestures, it's not uncommon for the system to assume you want to move a trooper rather than the camera. The system also misinterprets which level of a multi-level map you want as a destination for a trooper, so what should be intuitive tap control instead requires the use of manual level-adjust buttons (also touch controls, but shouldn't be as necessary as they are). Finally, just like the other versions of the game, you're going to be pressed for money and firepower early in the game, and that can be very frustrating, but that's just a tough game curve, not a flaw. So, overall, the iOS release of XCOM: Enemy Unknown is in many ways vastly superior to the versions that preceded it. If you like the notion of XCOM, have a higher-end iPad, and have $20 burning a hole in your App Store account, then by all means go for it. It's a better game than its brothers, and quite a jump beyond most of what you'll find on the App Store. Expand
  2. Aug 24, 2013
    This game is almost too simplistic as turn-based tactical games go. The missions are very repetitive. The AI is a bit quirky. My biggest complaint was with line of sight issues. Why can't a see an alien twenty feet in front of me standing out in the open? I did finish the game so it had enough draw to keep me playing but at no time did I get that satisfying feeling like when I playedThis game is almost too simplistic as turn-based tactical games go. The missions are very repetitive. The AI is a bit quirky. My biggest complaint was with line of sight issues. Why can't a see an alien twenty feet in front of me standing out in the open? I did finish the game so it had enough draw to keep me playing but at no time did I get that satisfying feeling like when I played Silent Storm years ago. Expand
  3. Jul 4, 2013
    The game features multiple difficulties, but even the easiest option can be unforgiving. There is no way to revive soldiers who die. Combat is about careful strategy, not run-and-gun action. AppsGoer has got an in-depth review on this game.
  4. Jun 25, 2013
    Nice game. I loved it, but after a while it starts getting bored. In SP you shall not flank, because this can make a bunch of enemies appear. The multiplayer is all about double taps, it's not about strategy, just about big guns to disable big armors.
  5. Jun 24, 2013
    Supposed to be present on the pc
    Graphics unusual but not strong
    Ads very little about the game and no one knows about anything !!!
    by adil khojah from saudi arabya
  6. Dec 17, 2013
    As of 12/17/2013, seems like a good port so far. Controls are fine so far, shooting aliens is still as fun as ever, and the graphics are okay. Honestly, I don't care about the graphics too much.

Price tag is a little high(same price as console/PC), there is no Enemy Within, but IOS users have the Second Wave difficulty modifiers. Multiplayer occasionally gives you a free win/lose if you are unable to send a turn(try to send a turn and it fails), but thats only happened once so far, so I'm not sure. Xcom Heroes are still in this port, but you have to sign into My2K to use them, which isn't the end of the world.

Interrogation cutscenes are gone, but the game is already 3 GB, so thats understandable. The game is pretty much one of the few real strategy games on the App Store. Other strategy games on the app store are "Tap to do this job and lose 5 energy." Occasionally when moving a trooper, the game thinks I want to select a different soldier, which can get frustrating.

1. Oct 7, 2013
    At times brilliant and at other times at least good fun. The iPad version is a missed opportunity because the touch controls are somewhat cumbersome. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a great game for the iPad. Despite some restrictions, Enemy Unknown is a great addition for the iPad. It has the same level of tactical movements as its brothers for the consoles.
  3. Aug 28, 2013
    Even after less than a year the excellent XCOM: Enemy Unknown game still has its charms. An accessible, while at the same time a tough turn-based action/strategy game works great on mobile platforms. You just have to get over the loss of its multiplayer game. The touch controls suit the game's style, they are not a nuisance. However, fairly big technical problems, which I wouldn't expect from this kind of applications, hit the game down.