XCOM: Enemy Unknown iOS

7.7

1. Jun 19, 2015
    This game is one of my favorite of all-time. Best tactical strategy game ever made, with Civilization V being the best turn-based 4X strategy game ever. I played it on PC, but did get the chance to see the port and it was great. You need to play this game wherever you can. Just play it!
  2. Jun 23, 2013
    Having a big price and huge GB taken away from your ios device, XCOM enemy unknown is simply the best game ever made for the ios platform. Stunning visuals, great graphics and engaging sci fi story lives up to its merits.
  3. Jun 24, 2013
    This is the way X-COm should be played. With touch controls, retina graphics for detailed maps and characters, and quicker loading times. The 19.99 price is justifiable for all the work that has been done on the console version and for the successful iOS port.
  4. Jul 12, 2013
    Amazing turn based game. I loved customizing all of my troops and naming them. Really pays homage to the first one. Picking up the iPhone app as well.
  5. Jul 16, 2013
    One of the best games EVER coming for iOs. Yes, it is kind of expensive and YES it takes huge ammounts of storage... But it´s worth it, every single cent.
  6. Nov 23, 2013
    A great game. Minor glitches can be frustrating but they don't change gameplay enough to be a big deal. It has fantastic elements of strategy and resembles x-com: U.F.O. Defense from the early 90's but more up-to-date(Not dumbed-down... There are plenty of options to make the game extremely difficult).

Well worth the money and has great replay value and an expansion pack!
  7. Sep 17, 2013
    The best iOS game I've ever seen, far beyond what I expected to find on my iPad. There's a lot to keep the player occupied tactical combat, researching new technologies, building toys, missions of opportunity. Graphics and controls are spectacular. I would give this game 11 stars, if it wasn't for the fact that it crashes really, really, really, really often. For the second half of theThe best iOS game I've ever seen, far beyond what I expected to find on my iPad. There's a lot to keep the player occupied tactical combat, researching new technologies, building toys, missions of opportunity. Graphics and controls are spectacular. I would give this game 11 stars, if it wasn't for the fact that it crashes really, really, really, really often. For the second half of the game, I had a crash on every mission that I flied out to, sometimes with crashes in the middle of the mission. The autosave takes care of this problem, but I still have to wait 2 minutes for the game to boot up where it left off. Otherwise, a fantastic game, well worth its high (for iOS) price tag. Expand
  8. Jun 23, 2013
    I have never played any other version of XCOM but the reviews this has been getting made me pay the higher than usual price for IOS version. I am really enjoying it. Its very slick good graphics and really makes you think. The controls can be a little fiddly but because its turn based they are never an issue not like when you are under pressure in RTS. Why should the work that goes into aI have never played any other version of XCOM but the reviews this has been getting made me pay the higher than usual price for IOS version. I am really enjoying it. Its very slick good graphics and really makes you think. The controls can be a little fiddly but because its turn based they are never an issue not like when you are under pressure in RTS. Why should the work that goes into a tittle of this quality not be reflected in the price .I don't call that capitalism I call that business. Simple supply and demand if your principles are that strong don't buy it at the price but miss out on a cracking game Expand
  9. Jun 24, 2013
    A Fantastic port of a fantastic game.

Other than a few crash issues (which I'm sure will be ironed out with an update) there's nothing negative to say about this game. I was initially hesitant to buy this App because of my screen size (I'm playing on a 4S) but as soon as I booted it up and got into my first encounter my concerns were allayed.

So, get this game.
  10. Jun 25, 2013
    I bought this game on Steam and i had no idea what i was going into. But when i started the game it was fantastic! The gameplay was really cool and i had alot of cool characters. Had is the keyword here because they all died The graphics was also pretty good. I didnt really listen to the story because im stupid. There is ALOT of replay value. And theres multiplayer. The multiplayer wasI bought this game on Steam and i had no idea what i was going into. But when i started the game it was fantastic! The gameplay was really cool and i had alot of cool characters. Had is the keyword here because they all died The graphics was also pretty good. I didnt really listen to the story because im stupid. There is ALOT of replay value. And theres multiplayer. The multiplayer was ok, but not as fantastic is the single player Expand
  11. Feb 13, 2014
    游戏类型非常适合在移动设备上玩,游戏节奏慢,每一个士兵作为一个可以升级并自定义的个体不再在战场上充当炮灰,而需要玩家小心翼翼使其不阵亡。
    剧情有代入感,过场动画的质量也很高(同时游戏体积大幅增加),基地建设,士兵升级配置,地图战场策略都很好地结合到了一起,属于上手稍难,上手后欲罢不能的游戏。
    -凑字数-
    游戏类型非常适合在移动设备上玩,游戏节奏慢,每一个士兵作为一个可以升级并自定义的个体不再在战场上充当炮灰,而需要玩家小心翼翼使其不阵亡。
    剧情有代入感,过场动画的质量也很高(同时游戏体积大幅增加),基地建设,士兵升级配置,地图战场策略都很好地结合到了一起,属于上手稍难,上手后欲罢不能的游戏。
    -凑字数-
  12. Jun 20, 2013
    this game have good graphics, the story is fun,the videos are good and the price is right for this game because the game serves to entertain for long time
  13. ERB
    Aug 3, 2013
    Hey guys why do you hate this game?I think it is fun and awesome and actually I think it is one of the best iOS game I've ever played.Seriously I think you should try playing It.It is fun.
  14. Dec 17, 2013
    As of 12/17/2013, seems like a good port so far. Controls are fine so far, shooting aliens is still as fun as ever, and the graphics are okay. Honestly, I don't care about the graphics too much.

Price tag is a little high(same price as console/PC), there is no Enemy Within, but IOS users have the Second Wave difficulty modifiers. Multiplayer occasionally gives you a free win/lose if you are unable to send a turn(try to send a turn and it fails), but thats only happened once so far, so I'm not sure. Xcom Heroes are still in this port, but you have to sign into My2K to use them, which isn't the end of the world.

Interrogation cutscenes are gone, but the game is already 3 GB, so thats understandable. The game is pretty much one of the few real strategy games on the App Store. Other strategy games on the app store are "Tap to do this job and lose 5 energy." Occasionally when moving a trooper, the game thinks I want to select a different soldier, which can get frustrating.
  15. Aug 15, 2013
    My mistake, in my eagerness to review this title I mistakenly posted it on iOS, I have PC. Unfortunately metacritic don't give anyway to delete a review only to edit what it says... btw the PC version is good.
  16. Jan 6, 2014
    Fantastic game. This is XCOM.
    But there is the conterminous issue of the "fatal crash error" that arises on some iOS platforms. My iPad mini being one of them. I have found that you must restart your device, clearing the driver, before the game will function properly. I still have occasional issues, but for the most part I can enjoy the game.
    This game is so big, that Apple tech can't handle it.
  17. Feb 19, 2015
    Xcom enemy unknown is the newest addition in the Xcom series. While it remains a solid tactical squad based strategy game, it does not live up to the lofty presence of the original Xcom.

The series, for those unfamiliar with it, is based on leading a secret covert operations group, known as Xcom, as it attempts to secretly defend earth from an alien invasion. The game does allude to all of this being top secret, which seems a bit ridiculous as you play through the game, but that doesn't really matter to the gameplay. You act as supreme commander of the Xcom project, managing and building up a base of operations, sending out satellites to detect alien presence, managing the happiness of funding countries, researching and leading squads of up to six soldiers into battle that can then be leveled up as they gain experience.

The game, like any other game, has evolved with its modern iteration. It is a sharp, fun and responsive squad based strategy game that has streamlined a lot of the annoying micromanagement features of past games, but has also simplified things and put a cap on squad member leveling up. It is a more accessible, but simpler game than past generations. That is good for the casual player, new to the genre but a detractor to seasoned players who enjoy the complexity.

The game, in the most basic sense, plays like this. You have a base that you expand with various modules that you can build into your secret mountain hideaway. As you research new technologies new modules open up for upgrades or more efficient research. You launch satellites to gain funding from the various nation groups across the globe and to spot alien incursions. When incursions happen you deploy a squad of soldiers into a tactical, squad based "seek cover and advance" type gameplay that dictates a methodical approach to combat. As missions are failed or ignored panic will rise. Victories reduce panic. There are a handful of main story missions for advancing the game that are unlocked by certain milestones in the game, but the vast majority of missions are procedurally generated battles with aliens. There are basic research items, but as you kill aliens and do autopsies, capture and interrogate aliens, or shoot down and capture alien ships more research items are unlocked to gain better weapon and armor and new gadgets.

There are four basic classes. Assault, heavy (machine gunners), snipers and support (medics) which each have their own skill trees that you can utilize as they level up. All four classes are needed across the game to face different situations. Medics to stabilize downed squad members, snipers to provide cover, heavies to deal huge damage in short bursts and assault troops to act as front line combat soldiers.. Later in the game psionic abilities are added which add some more variety to your soldiers, but psionic abilities are rare and only have three tiers.

The aliens you face are variations on a few base models, but the variations offer enough change that the game continually changes and evolves as you proceed. New challenges are thrown at you every few missions that force you to think more carefully about how you combat the alien menace.

The game looks good. It won't blow anyone away. It has its own style, but nothing that really sticks out as uniquely distinct. The technical side of the graphics are good enough and slightly better than your run of the mill top down game. Sound effects are well done and add to the experience and the voice acting is well done with squad members reacting to the battle.

The controls on the PC are very easy to work with. Consoles are also surprisingly good, though moving the cursor around with the joysticks can be slow. The iPad controls are cumbersome and you can end up moving soldiers to areas you don't mean to because you have to press an area twice to move there.

If you like squad based strategy games you I would highly recommend Xcom, even in its simplified version. If you don't like strategy games I would say Xcom probably isn't for you. The game can be pretty brutal, and may frustrate you as your favorite squad members are killed. Overall, a good game for strategy fans that may fall a bit on the simple side for veterans of the genre. The game does receive a boost on mobile platforms. It may not be as good as the PC or console versions, but it's all relative. Mobile platforms don't have the same quality of competition.

1. Oct 7, 2013
    At times brilliant and at other times at least good fun. The iPad version is a missed opportunity because the touch controls are somewhat cumbersome. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a great game for the iPad. Despite some restrictions, Enemy Unknown is a great addition for the iPad. It has the same level of tactical movements as its brothers for the consoles.
  3. Aug 28, 2013
    Even after less than a year the excellent XCOM: Enemy Unknown game still has its charms. An accessible, while at the same time a tough turn-based action/strategy game works great on mobile platforms. You just have to get over the loss of its multiplayer game. The touch controls suit the game's style, they are not a nuisance. However, fairly big technical problems, which I wouldn't expect from this kind of applications, hit the game down.