7.7

1. Jun 22, 2014
    DOES NOT WORK FOR IPAD 2! Beware! First off let me say that I have not played the game. I really want to! But the game is so tremendously glitchy on the ipad 2 that it is virtually unplayable. I remember seeing an interview with the lead developer about the game. " This game has stirred up quite some controversy with its $20 price tag on an App Store game, " the interviewer said.

"XCOM is a full game and should be charged the full price, " the developer said with a hint of arrogance. I say arrogance because by saying this, he was putting down the many other games on the app store that were not 'full games'. I guess Clash of Clans is not a 'full game' then?

What does the xcom team deliver to the mobile platform? A buggy, unplayable mess of spaghetti code.

How can the developer make a statement like that and then release product that doesn't work on some devices.

3/10 until they can fix this.
  2. Feb 13, 2014
    游戏类型非常适合在移动设备上玩,游戏节奏慢,每一个士兵作为一个可以升级并自定义的个体不再在战场上充当炮灰,而需要玩家小心翼翼使其不阵亡。
    剧情有代入感,过场动画的质量也很高(同时游戏体积大幅增加),基地建设,士兵升级配置,地图战场策略都很好地结合到了一起,属于上手稍难,上手后欲罢不能的游戏。
    -凑字数-
  3. Jan 6, 2014
    Fantastic game. This is XCOM.
    But there is the conterminous issue of the "fatal crash error" that arises on some iOS platforms. My iPad mini being one of them. I have found that you must restart your device, clearing the driver, before the game will function properly. I still have occasional issues, but for the most part I can enjoy the game.
    This game is so big, that Apple tech can't handle it.
  4. Dec 17, 2013
    As of 12/17/2013, seems like a good port so far. Controls are fine so far, shooting aliens is still as fun as ever, and the graphics are okay. Honestly, I don't care about the graphics too much.

Price tag is a little high(same price as console/PC), there is no Enemy Within, but IOS users have the Second Wave difficulty modifiers. Multiplayer occasionally gives you a free win/lose if you
    are unable to send a turn(try to send a turn and it fails), but thats only happened once so far, so I'm not sure. Xcom Heroes are still in this port, but you have to sign into My2K to use them, which isn't the end of the world.

Interrogation cutscenes are gone, but the game is already 3 GB, so thats understandable. The game is pretty much one of the few real strategy games on the App Store. Other strategy games on the app store are "Tap to do this job and lose 5 energy." Occasionally when moving a trooper, the game thinks I want to select a different soldier, which can get frustrating.
  5. Nov 23, 2013
    A great game. Minor glitches can be frustrating but they don't change gameplay enough to be a big deal. It has fantastic elements of strategy and resembles x-com: U.F.O. Defense from the early 90's but more up-to-date(Not dumbed-down... There are plenty of options to make the game extremely difficult).

Well worth the money and has great replay value and an expansion pack!
  6. Oct 16, 2013
    Fantastic game, but completely unplayable. Paid $20 for it on my iPad and it crashes constantly. Erases all your data to your last save point, and makes you watch a 90 second intro that you cannot skip. When it crashes at least once every 10 minutes, making you lose all saved data, and watch the same long intro for the 100th time that day, the game is frustratingly and unbearably unplayable.
  7. Sep 29, 2013
    Much of the iOS gaming community looked at the App Store deployment of XCOM with jaded eyes: tipping the scales at $20, it's expensive, and it is a port from a console. Justifiably, many looked at it as another attempt to wring some more cash out of gamer, and sure it is; that's the games industry. But the iOS release of XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a rarity: a port that actually surpasses its source material. With only a few exceptions, this tablet version of XCOM is better than the console or PC versions. Let's take a look at it. First of all, nearly all of the console features are present, yes PRESENT, in the tablet release. Usually, we can bank on large pieces going missing when anything is ported to lesser hardware, but with the exception of a bunch of largely-unnecessary cutscenes, everything has been faithfully preserved and included in the iOS version. Second, the hardware's reliance upon touchscreen control actually yields a (mostly) superior experience to either preceding version; control interface is fluid, intuitive, and marks a high-water mark in the attempt to create a user interface that provides seamless transition from intent to command. (That's usually...more on that in a second.) Graphics are solid if somewhat lower-caliber than other versions, although they look great on an iPad retina display, and sound is outstanding even on the 'Pad's built-in speaker. 2K also retained the procedurally-generated map feature, ensuring that you don't run through the exact same map on every mission; there's variability in most maps. The experience isn't perfect, though, and there are some issues that many gamers may find less than endearing. First, expect XCOM to drain your Pad's battery in a hurry. A 100% battery will drain itself dry in 4-5 hours of play at most; even plugged in to an AC adapter, the game still draws so much that the battery will be discharging slightly. There will be framerate problems, particularly on large maps involving a lot of animation (especially fires), so Battleship maps will drag terribly from time to time. And, while the touch interface is a vast improvement over any gamepad or mouse-and-keyboard setup, it's going to misinterpret your intentions regularly. As unit movement and camera movement share gestures, it's not uncommon for the system to assume you want to move a trooper rather than the camera. The system also misinterprets which level of a multi-level map you want as a destination for a trooper, so what should be intuitive tap control instead requires the use of manual level-adjust buttons (also touch controls, but shouldn't be as necessary as they are). Finally, just like the other versions of the game, you're going to be pressed for money and firepower early in the game, and that can be very frustrating, but that's just a tough game curve, not a flaw. So, overall, the iOS release of XCOM: Enemy Unknown is in many ways vastly superior to the versions that preceded it. If you like the notion of XCOM, have a higher-end iPad, and have $20 burning a hole in your App Store account, then by all means go for it. It's a better game than its brothers, and quite a jump beyond most of what you'll find on the App Store. Expand
  8. Sep 21, 2013
    Very buggy game, some terrible game camera work, some very strange and inconsistent rules in the gameplay, but still kinda fun. Play it in small doses if those things bug you. Its frustratingly disappointing that such a popular and mature game can still be so full of bugs.
  9. Sep 17, 2013
    The best iOS game I've ever seen, far beyond what I expected to find on my iPad. There's a lot to keep the player occupied tactical combat, researching new technologies, building toys, missions of opportunity. Graphics and controls are spectacular. I would give this game 11 stars, if it wasn't for the fact that it crashes really, really, really, really often. For the second half of the game, I had a crash on every mission that I flied out to, sometimes with crashes in the middle of the mission. The autosave takes care of this problem, but I still have to wait 2 minutes for the game to boot up where it left off. Otherwise, a fantastic game, well worth its high (for iOS) price tag. Expand
  10. Aug 24, 2013
    This game is almost too simplistic as turn-based tactical games go. The missions are very repetitive. The AI is a bit quirky. My biggest complaint was with line of sight issues. Why can't a see an alien twenty feet in front of me standing out in the open? I did finish the game so it had enough draw to keep me playing but at no time did I get that satisfying feeling like when I played Silent Storm years ago. Expand
  11. Aug 15, 2013
    My mistake, in my eagerness to review this title I mistakenly posted it on iOS, I have PC. Unfortunately metacritic don't give anyway to delete a review only to edit what it says... btw the PC version is good.
  12. ERB
    Aug 3, 2013
    Hey guys why do you hate this game?I think it is fun and awesome and actually I think it is one of the best iOS game I've ever played.Seriously I think you should try playing It.It is fun.
  13. Jul 16, 2013
    One of the best games EVER coming for iOs. Yes, it is kind of expensive and YES it takes huge ammounts of storage... But it´s worth it, every single cent.
  14. Jul 12, 2013
    Amazing turn based game. I loved customizing all of my troops and naming them. Really pays homage to the first one. Picking up the iPhone app as well.
  15. Jul 4, 2013
    The game features multiple difficulties, but even the easiest option can be unforgiving. There is no way to revive soldiers who die. Combat is about careful strategy, not run-and-gun action. AppsGoer has got an in-depth review on this game.
  16. Jun 25, 2013
    I bought this game on Steam and i had no idea what i was going into. But when i started the game it was fantastic! The gameplay was really cool and i had alot of cool characters. Had is the keyword here because they all died The graphics was also pretty good. I didnt really listen to the story because im stupid. There is ALOT of replay value. And theres multiplayer. The multiplayer was ok, but not as fantastic is the single player Expand
  17. Jun 25, 2013
    Nice game. I loved it, but after a while it starts getting bored. In SP you shall not flank, because this can make a bunch of enemies appear. The multiplayer is all about double taps, it's not about strategy, just about big guns to disable big armors.
  18. Jun 24, 2013
    A Fantastic port of a fantastic game.

Other than a few crash issues (which I'm sure will be ironed out with an update) there's nothing negative to say about this game. I was initially hesitant to buy this App because of my screen size (I'm playing on a 4S) but as soon as I booted it up and got into my first encounter my concerns were allayed.

So, get this game.
  19. Jun 24, 2013
    This is the way X-COm should be played. With touch controls, retina graphics for detailed maps and characters, and quicker loading times. The 19.99 price is justifiable for all the work that has been done on the console version and for the successful iOS port.
  20. Jun 24, 2013
    Supposed to be present on the pc
    Graphics unusual but not strong
    Ads very little about the game and no one knows about anything !!!
    by adil khojah from saudi arabya
  21. Jun 23, 2013
    Having a big price and huge GB taken away from your ios device, XCOM enemy unknown is simply the best game ever made for the ios platform. Stunning visuals, great graphics and engaging sci fi story lives up to its merits.
  22. Jun 23, 2013
    I have never played any other version of XCOM but the reviews this has been getting made me pay the higher than usual price for IOS version. I am really enjoying it. Its very slick good graphics and really makes you think. The controls can be a little fiddly but because its turn based they are never an issue not like when you are under pressure in RTS. Why should the work that goes into a tittle of this quality not be reflected in the price .I don't call that capitalism I call that business. Simple supply and demand if your principles are that strong don't buy it at the price but miss out on a cracking game Expand
  23. Jun 21, 2013
    good game, with capitalism price tag. dont support this! bought it new for pc 8month ago for 12.99€. this is just a port, yeah, thats nice, but not for 17.99€. putting in a new hud and taking the lowest lowres textured is just NOT worth 17.99€. its ut engine, so its freakin easy to port. and its a VERY poor executed port...
  24. Jun 20, 2013
    this game have good graphics, the story is fun,the videos are good and the price is right for this game because the game serves to entertain for long time
  25. Jun 24, 2013

1. Oct 7, 2013
    At times brilliant and at other times at least good fun. The iPad version is a missed opportunity because the touch controls are somewhat cumbersome. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a great game for the iPad. Despite some restrictions, Enemy Unknown is a great addition for the iPad. It has the same level of tactical movements as its brothers for the consoles.
  3. Aug 28, 2013
    Even after less than a year the excellent XCOM: Enemy Unknown game still has its charms. An accessible, while at the same time a tough turn-based action/strategy game works great on mobile platforms. You just have to get over the loss of its multiplayer game. The touch controls suit the game's style, they are not a nuisance. However, fairly big technical problems, which I wouldn't expect from this kind of applications, hit the game down.