Disney's Donald Duck Goin' Quackers Nintendo 64

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Dec 20, 2000
6.3

1. Feb 19, 2014
    Donald Duck Quack Attack. Donald Duck Quack Attack. Donald Duck Quack Attack. Donald Duck Quack Attack. Donald Duck Quack Attack. Donald Duck Quack Attack.
  2. Mar 26, 2016
    Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers, known as Quack Attack in Europe, was a game I found a few years ago and decided to give it a spin this month. And to be honest, according to the mixed reviews, I actually didn't find it that bad.

Goin' Quackers takes place with Donald Duck and his friends watching TV with Daisy as a reporter for news, talking about a temple of the evil magician Merlock. Eventually she gets captured by him and it's up to Donald to travel around the world and save her. However, he is on a race with Gladstone Gander to do so, but this has no bearing to the gameplay for some reason.

First off, the way the game looks. Everything looks cartoony just like the classic Disney series with Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, etc. And can I say, I find Donald Duck to be one of my all-time favorite Disney characters. Love his character, voice, and bad temper of course. But let's talk about my first impressions when booting the game up. When I got to the main menu, the first thing I thought was "Oh hey, this is literally Rayman 2 but with a different font and theme". Same option menu, same file management, etc. But when you think about it, it's an obvious answer seeing how both these games were made by the same company, Ubisoft. The nitpicking of the presentation for me is that some animation sequences are rather choppy like Old School Runescape, and so are some of the models of the game. I would say that Donald Duck is modeled okay though. And for some unknown reason, he wears a sleeping cap during boss levels?

Gameplay in Goin' Quackers is pretty simple. There are four worlds each with four levels and a boss battle. That's 20 levels as far as I know, unless there are bonus ones which I don't know of, as I am writing this review right after beating the game. The level design is actually pretty slick. Half of the levels are laid out exactly like Crash Bandicoot with linear pathways and collectibles. The other half is quite interesting because they are 2.5D platformers which remind me a LOT of the modern Donkey Kong Country games. Each level has three toys from Huey, Dewey, and Louie which Merlock enchanted, as well as a partially hidden piece of a boss image near the end of the level. Collecting all four pieces in a world enables the boss level to beat to proceed to the next world. I really love the level design for most of the levels. The style of them really takes me back to childhood when I played similar games like that. (I actually didn't play this game back then)

SPOILERS AHEAD
    I actually want to talk about the final boss battle, as this was the most frustrating part of the whole game, and at the same time, the most WTF one. Merlock transforms into a flying beast and chases you down around a ring of platformers above lava. He is shooting fire at you as you do so, usually in straight lines and even horizontal ones. When I first came to this level, I thought "OH MY GOD, this is literally the boss battle of Sanctuary of Rock and Lava!". That was from Rayman 2, the same as the main menu. I don't even know why they would choose that path for the final boss. But boy was it frustrating. Actually, the only serious part of the battle was the second phase (All bosses have three). As there are pillars of fire dotted around the platforms. However, as I try to be careful and move around them, I would STILL get hit. The hitboxes are HORRIBLE in this final boss battle. I've managed to beat the second phase twice before playing the third and it was much easier than the second as the pillars were gone. Then beaten the game. That was a Geometry Dash breather right there.
    SPOILERS OVER

So for conclusion, the game is fun if you enjoy Disney and N64 games from childhood. But I didn't find this game from childhood and I like it! But still, the game is a bit scratchy with a portion of it, however not the majority. The final boss is still garbage. It's a game with fun gameplay, collectibles, and linear, non-mazey levels that give straight-forward progress.

STORY: 7/10
    PRESENTATION: 7/10
    GAMEPLAY: 8/10
    VALUE: 6/10 (As per Amazon.com)
    OVERALL: 7/10

1. CNET Gamecenter
    Although the game may look like a kids' title, Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers has enough depth and challenge to keep even the most seasoned gamer busy.
    Sadly, the principle of clever gameplay fundamentals doesn't come home with Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers on the N64.
  3. Those who want a deeper, more satisfying platform adventure should probably save this for a weekend rental.