GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64
9.2

1. Nov 19, 2010
    Best game of all time. Hands down. Can't count how many nights I stayed up playing this game with friends. I hope the Wii version is even half as good...if so, it will be a winner too.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    Every once in a while I get nostalgic about this game and remember how great it was and how gaming innovation went down from there. The singleplayer mode is linked to the movie and each mission is introduced with a little text to read so: true, some expensive story telling is missing here. AI characters behaved quite predictable, but still extremely well back then (e.g. viewing angles, response to gunfire nearby) and never got stuck badly.
    +++
    But playing the singleplayer mode is only one side of the medal. In times of no Internet for the average mortal human and good old couch gaming GoldenEye was the most exciting FPS multiplayer games. Split screen hindered sneaking action, but on quite huge maps it's always better to find each other than to wander around all alone. This game has a huge variety of guns and gadget put together in selectable weapon sets, partiality not balanced, but in a console gaming environment you are always free to apply house rules -- even health could be modified to give experienced players a handicap and keep balance. Most game types offered an interesting mixture of challenge and team dynamics. +++
    Even cheats in this game were a nice nice gimmick as few of them also applied to the multiplayer mode and they did not make you a lazy player as you had to unlock them as "achievements" in the singleplayer mode.
    +++
    All in all this game is still awesome besides its graphics compared to modern games. FPS games today are trying to much to have fancy leveling and unlocking systems while GoldenEye has almost everything a FPS game needs to be fun and innovative.
  3. Dec 12, 2012
    It could be the nostalgia talking... but this is perhaps one of the greatest games of all time. It's definitely the best video game a movie has ever spawned, I can say that for certain.
  4. Mar 5, 2011
    Often considered the greatest first person shooter of all time, Goldeneye 007 set the bar of quality in what is to be expected from a console shooter and started a trend that made it's genre then most dominant in the industry. Really a perfect mix of fun and realism that allows for novice players to feel like the famous secret agent and more skilled players to take pride in beating the game on it's harder difficulties featuring more objectives and faster, stronger, enemies. The multiplayer is addictive and endlessly customizable to insure that there is never a dull moment when a friend comes over. An FPS title that has yet to be over shadowed in more than 14 years later. Expand
  5. Nov 16, 2011
    This game is the ONLY reason I got an N64. I played the missions over and over and over. To today's standards (2011) it is a little corny with poor graphics, AI, etc. but at the time, there was nothing like it. It's like how Pac Man was the sh*# back in the day. Or how He Man had the biggest balls ever (unlike now when I watched an episode it only seems like he wants to suck balls). Groundbreaking for the time. Any fan of FPS should go back to school and take a lesson from the grand daddy of all console shooters. Expand
  6. Nov 28, 2011
    I'd always loved this game me and my cousin would play this all day amazing game. i haven't played it in years and i guess it would be extremely bad.
  7. Jul 12, 2011
    i mean wow this game hits a home run big time for 2 reasons one it takes a movie based game and does it way better then the actaul movie and 2 it made the stagnent FPS market fun again after all the doom clones. this game is just hands down lots of fun . outside of just a fun story mode i had so much fun just messing around in the missions with the cheats . plus you have the first real fun 4 player FPS multiplayer game . before Halo came out on the xbox this is what me and my friends would sit for hours and hours and play and just have so much fun doing it . this game maybe old and dated by todays standerds but i can still break out the N64 from storage and play this from time to time. that says alot about a game thats 13 or 14 years old now. Expand
  8. Jan 19, 2011
    Incredible. This game was perfect and the recent remake proves it's still perfect and proves you can't go back and tr to recreate a masterpiece. Even in gaming.
  9. Mar 1, 2011
    The best shooter of all time, it will never be replaced! The campaign is long, challenging (if you choose a harder difficulty) and the cheats you can use add hours more gameplay. A great story and the gameplay was unrivalled for its time, and is still one of the best games of all time.
  10. Aug 20, 2011
    After playing it recently, 14 years after its release, this is by far the best FPS game I've ever played. The levels are masterly designed. Each weapon has advantages and disadvantages. The ammo is neither too abundant nor too scarce. The difficulty is very progressive, so that the next mission is challenging, but not overkill. The AI, while harsh, is challenging and gives room to strategy. And the health system ensures that you have to consider all those factors while playing. The replay value and the level of detail of this game tells us that the creators of this game enjoyed what they were doing. And we did, too. A yet unparalleled game worth playing. Expand
  11. Jan 6, 2012
    The game that started to change all the fps history is a unquestionable classic of n64. Stealth gave another perspective for shooters. If you´ve never played this game, don´t wast more time!
  12. Apr 2, 2012
    I spent so much time with this game its insane. I don't even know how many playthroughs and missions and multiplayer and hundreds of hours. All I know is that for me, this game was revolutionary are absolutely brilliant. Don't let ripoffs of the name on inferior titles deceive you...this game was outstanding and a masterpiece. Way ahead of its time. It's assuredly a classic, and I'm glad I can give it the 10 / 10 it undoubtedly deserves. Expand
  13. May 27, 2012
    A masterpiece. One of the best games of all time. A true classic. A game that will always stand the test of time. Always a blast to play. So many great memories with this game. I still listen to the soundtrack.
  14. Jan 9, 2014
    Ok I want to first say that Goldeneye IS the reason that Perfect Dark exists. I've read of couple reviews here it seems some people are completely unaware that Perfect Dark is in fact a Rare game (just like Goldeneye) and that Perfect Dark came out 3 years after Goldeneye using a modified Goldeneye engine. Perfect Dark is literally a copy and paste game that improved on everything Goldeneye did so downgrading Goldeneye because you think Perfect Dark is better is just plane asinine. Of course it's better it came out 3 years afterwards and is made by the same damn company!

Anyways now onto Goldeneye.

In my opinion Goldeneye is one of the greatest console shooters of all time. The countless hours my friends and I spent on this game playing 4 player split screen on a 26in tube. "You're screen watching!" Who didn't shout that while playing this game? Now it'll be hard to convince a 9 year old today that this is an amazing game that is an absolute blast but for those who truly appreciate video games and the time when video games brought friends into your household for hours and hours of shooting glory defending a bathroom, this is a timeless classic. Sure the graphics are completely outdated and you only have one analog stick to use but sometimes you have to step back in time and appreciate a classic that helped launch console shooters into the future.
  15. Feb 7, 2014
    Personally, I found this a bit boring. Maybe it just didn't hook me in like other more exotic and fantastical shooters were doing at the time. People who like a pure no nonsense FPS will enjoy this more
  16. Feb 2, 2013
    GoldenEye 007 is a prime example of a game that aged terribly. Through no fault of its own, more advanced and evolved games have been made in the first-person-shooter genre since 1997. So, on its own, if it were released today; it would not stand a whole lot of a chance. For the time, though, it was pretty legit. The story mode kept true to the great movie and was also fun for the most part (excluding the missions "Silo", "Train", and, "Control") The graphics were decent and it is relatively replayable to an extent. The multiplayer was varied and makes for a good time. The music is genius and sets an appropriate atmosphere. All of this, though, does not negate the fact that the game is way too overrated by nostalgia-blind fanatics. Some of the missions were repetitive and bland, such as "Silo". It wasn't very easy to keep track of health during gameplay because it would only show up when you were hurt and it wasn't very precise with its unshaded coloring. The friendly AI is infamously poor and made a few missions feel broken. Furthermore, the awkward Nintendo 64 controller made the controls feel lopsided, but GoldenEye 007 can't change the controller, so no blame to the game there. Overall, I would not suggest this game to someone today, but it has a good deal a moments to be played, though. The story, music, multiplayer, and impact are all of its key points to be enjoyed. Expand
  17. Dec 25, 2012
    One of the best games I've ever played, was my favorite N64 game when I was younger. I still play it today every now and then and it never becomes boring.
  18. Jun 10, 2012
  19. Jul 4, 2014
    Uno de esos juegos que deben de pasar a la historia. Como juego singlepayer ya es una obra maestra, pero si le sumamos el endiabladamente divertido multiplayer, estamos ante una bomba de diversión de meses y meses. Fue un adelantado a su tiempo en casi toda su concepción. Un 10 se le queda pequeño a algo tan épico.
  20. May 28, 2012
    Where did the FPS make its leap from Doom and quake to the games we know these days? This right here. The worlds greatest movie game. Thats right movie game. Can you imagine any games based on movies today being anywhere near as good as this?
  21. Jun 29, 2012
    Wow! The memories! Best multiplayer. Before Halo & Call of Duty this game was king of the shooters. Of course it's dated now. But still it's fun to play. These were the days.
  22. May 22, 2012
    Only the fact that you can one-shot ppl with od-jobs hat in multiplayer gives this game a 10. And even when thats said the game has some awsome maps. Remember sitting for hours to get through the 00-difficulty. Challenges in games, gotta love it.
  23. May 22, 2012
    The first serious and truly understand as a masterpiece FPS in consoles. There was moments of action, infiltration, you had to use gadgets and there were a wide arrange of different maps and situations. The multiplayer for 4 was one of the best things. Very hard game in the 007 difficulty.
  24. Aug 6, 2012
    This game hasn't aged as well as I would have expected, but in its day it set the bar for FPS games. I spent countless hours playing multiplayer against my siblings and cousins, or dicking around with cheats in single player (oh the nostalgia!). As a big fan of James Bond--and Goldeneye in particular--I was disappointed by the VERY week story in the game, but the gameplay more than made up for it.
  25. Sep 5, 2012
    This game is the REASON we have games like Call of Duty. GoldenEye literally revolutionized the multiplayer FPS, and the people who owned and played this game will NEVER forget it. This game was the highlight of my 15th birthday, we stayed up all night playing this game. They were pretty pissed though because I went 50-0 in 4 player using the golden gun :) Not only did this game have the best multiplayer ever, it was also a blast and challenge to play single player on all the difficulties. This was also very rewarding because you unlock secret levels. Everything about this game was so awesome back in 1997, and honestly if I still had this and my 64 I'd play it today. Expand
  26. Nov 28, 2012
    This game revolutionized FFS for sure. The story was great the golden gun made me **** myself and this game was for sure ahead of its time. Def one of the best N64 games ever
  27. Jan 21, 2013
    Goldeneye 007, a game that I'm sure everyone with a N64 owns and for a good reason. To start with the range of weapons was quite large and still managed to stay intresting for each gun which is impressive even by todays standards. The music in the game stands among some of the best in gaming history and always fits the mood making you feel on edge and ready to fight. The graphics are my only complaint but not for a bad reason, the graphics get the job done and are decent (even by the N64's standards) but thats it which is slightly disapointing for an otherwise perfect game. Then there's the multiplayer which is the main reason this game is so popular, with four player split screen and loads of great maps playing them felt awesome and unique, unlike modern game's online maps which feel to familiar and boring. Other all this game is one of the best ever for it's time and even now it's easy to enjoy. Expand
  28. Jul 9, 2013
    At the time of its release, GoldenEye 007 might have been the greatest game ever made. Everything about it was just awesome. However, after a decade, it just hasn't aged well. Regardless, it's still one of the best and most influential games around.
  29. May 20, 2014
    In 2013 I played this game recently and let me tell you something this game aims automatically but if you put the game's difficulty to hard you are not going to aim automatically making it a difficult ride. But enjoyable non the less it's soundtrack captivated the james bond movie feel and also it's plot. But the main attraction of this game is the multi-player mode that created fun up to four players with radars to detect were the other player go to and with it's masterful graphics for it's time created an adrenaline rush to play it hours straight a day despite it's shorter than the legend of zelda ocarina of time but I consider this equal to Golden Eye a 9.255 the best n64 game of all time. Expand
  30. Feb 28, 2014
    What comes as a nice surprise and sticks out like a sore thumb is the game's depth, atmosphere and detail. Well animated characters and intuitive AI, realistic settings and interactive backgrounds sound effects are crisp along with music based on the movie. Ricocheting bullets, the clinky-clonky noise of footsteps just gives this first-person game that feeling of elegance and there is enough content even on 'Agent' difficulty to keep players occupied for a decent amount of time. Overall the game is executed marvelously both single player and multiplayer, it is by far one of the best shooters to grace the generation even to this day leaving players shaken and most definitely stirred. Expand
  31. Dec 19, 2013
    This game not only survives the test of time but comes out of that test with An A++. This game proved that shooters could work on console and no it's not jus nostalgia it's still fun today.
  32. Aug 5, 2013
    You're gonna want the Honest answer, This games Multiplayer was everything back in the day and to this day is still being played competitively, I cannot fathom how many hours, days, weeks, MONTHS was spent playing against someone with some of the most fun extras ever made in a FPS, Big head mode anyone? Paint-ball?

And sadly that is the only bold statement of this game, because frankly
    aside from the Dam level, the use of the watch laser on the train and the final level, I cannot remember all too well the single player experience, that was an experience RARE perfected in "Perfect Dark".

But still does that matter? Obviously if you heard the story behind development, Nintendo stopped funding it, Multiplayer was added in as an afterthought, The game was literally filled with bugs, how this game did not fall down to the ranks of generic movie tie-In game is beyond me!

Only RARE could salvage it, which I bring up for the sole purpose that other than the fairly well made Wii remake, Every bond game has either not lived up to the bar this one set, Or every Goddamn remake of this game for Xbox360/PS3 was incredibly disappointing!

Final Verdict: Out of all the problems RARE faced, they delivered one of Video Games most fondest social gaming memories of all time before online reigned supreme! Great game, even greater memories 9/10.
  33. Sep 4, 2013
    Yes i have fun playing this game once and a while but the controls are clunky, the textures give some modern gamers headaches. but don't forget this is one of the first games that really got the first person shooter genre some deserved attention. If you want to play a 007 first person shooter i either recommend golden-eye reloaded or 007 nightfire
  34. Oct 3, 2013
    Laid the foundation for every FPS that came along after it. The fact that games of today are still trying to live off it's name will tell you all you need to know. Bear in mind this game was made in 1997 so don't compare or expect HD graphics.

Maybe possibly one of the first games that was not truly on a set course? There are empty rooms, and rooms or corridors that lead to no where or
    have no relation to the game at all. It follows the movie well and is everything you could ask for in a FPS.

Unlike todays FPS it actually gets challenging on the 00 agent setting. I still have nightmares about Bunker 2 and Control.

Considering the multiplayer was an afterthought, has it been bettered? Maybe by Perfect dark. Back in an age when you used to actually have friends round your house, instead of sitting in a dark room alone with a silly headset on.

Good times.....
  35. Oct 17, 2013
    Goldeneye is one of the best games in history And the best first person shooter ever. Single and multiplayer are fun The presentation and level design are phenomenal This game is near flawless it's my first perfect 10/10 this is way better than any COD or halo
  36. Jan 6, 2014
    The game that introduced me to FPS gaming.
    I still call it a god of video games and one of Rare's master creations.
    I guess anyone who played this game would believe me when it say it was pretty much flawless.
    Even recently i've hit up a few N64 games and this is definately one of them.
    The story is pretty much identical to the movie, the action is insane (AI is funny to look at today
    though lol), a great wide range of levels with heaps of variety, missions are very challenging and I still wonder how I 100%'d the game back then.
    What I admire most about the game, is the unlockables. Remember the days where you played instead of paid? this is a prime example. (yes I got this off a meme I come across haha)
    You EARNED your cheats
    You EARNED Aztec and Egyptian
    Ill never forget how hard it was to unlock invincible on Facility. Beat it under 2:05 on 00 Agent!!
    But for every cheat you unlocked, you were always satisfied and felt some sense of achievement.

This was the reason why many shooters exist.
    It is a fantastic game and there was never a dull moment.
  37. Jan 30, 2014
    the team wasn't even flipping experienced, and it still got international acclaim! you are the only person in the United States, who says that game is total crap. what the F........ ugh. that game ruled. i wish i could still have my flipping N64 so i could blow enemies up and run over them. i started playing this game, at 5. seriously a freaking masterpiece. it's the 3rd most bestselling game in the world for N64, and the 3rd most popular game. the aiming system is so great, but it was a nuisance to have 2 controllers controlling Bond's aiming and moving.. ah, Damn it, this is the Nintendo 64! Gotta love the Death match!!
    effing awesome! no one really picks Oddjob. why did they even put that effing midget in there? aiming might make you shoot Oddjob, but nevertheless annoying. the rest of the game makes up for that. oh how i loved invincibility, all weapons, double weapons, paintball marks, all that stuff. i would never get bored with that. and i am 12. why you are even trolling on solid gold, make no flippin' sense to me. you don't have the GRACE to describe exactly why you hate it and you sound completely retarded. no wonder there is only one person who even likes you review out of 60.
  38. Mar 19, 2014
    одна из лучших частей 007 похождения бондианы. Имеет сложность ну так на 10 потянет
    Мне очень понравилась эта игра
    но на андроиде не очень на эмулятор
  39. May 2, 2014
    Nope. How is this game so highly regarded when it's just a failure of an FPS?

The weapons are improperly balanced, the game-play was absolutely terrible, and everything about this game just has "overrated" all over it.
  40. Jul 28, 2014
    Not really that good, especially for an FPS game ( a genre of media I generally love). The control scheme and graphics are not great, and people calling it the "best game of all time", like many people do, obviously haven't played too many good titles as this is a bad one. Dissapointed with the quality of this game, Nintendo.
  41. May 25, 2014
    Graphics: 10 Sound: 9.8 Gameplay: 9.8 Fun/Story: 10

Great graphics, sound and multiplayer (i spent lots of hours with my friends playing it when multiplayer means split screens)
  42. Jun 30, 2014
    Normally when I rate games it's either more as a multiplayer experience (Super Smash Bros) or a single-player experience (Mario 64); this however, was both. The single-player really sucked me in, the visuals were great at the time and the soundtrack is still one of my favourites in game history. On the multiplayer front it was amazing for it's time, I had countless games with my family as a kid and the game enjoyed a comeback in my second year of university when me and my housemates regularly played it. Sure everyone seemed to have massive amounts of health but the gun modes, game modes (man with the glden gun) and maps are all top drawer. Yet another classic N64 game. Expand

1. 7 / 8 / 8 / 8 - 31 silver
  2. Its strategy and story mixed in with the action make it a fantastic gaming experience.
  3. This is probably the best game you can get on the Nintendo 64.