Mario Kart 64 Nintendo 64
8.7

1. Apr 29, 2011
    A classic kart racing game that's essential to anyone's N64, if you still play it. Pros: It's shrouded in charm and originality; a small, but satisfying variety of unforgettable characters and weapons; multi-player mode is an endless amount of fun. Cons: The single-player mode is tiresome after awhile; it's not the best looking Mario game on the N64.
  2. Jun 7, 2011
    Wow this game is AMAZING! I don't have it on the original N64 console,but who needs it! I got the Virtual Console service by my side!Anyway this is the only racing game I play, no other. And it has my favorite plummer...MARIO! Soooo, in conclusion i love this game and it's a masterpiece to me.
  3. Jan 16, 2012
    This game is **** awesome. **** **** I am in 2012 now and still play this game a lot! **** awesome game, all of my friends love to play it in multi-player when they come over my house for a all night game session!
  4. Jul 5, 2012
    Maybe not the best version of Mario Kart out there, but probably the most sheer fun. Possibly the best multiplayer avaliable in video games, great maps, free-for-all battle mode... who am I kidding, it IS the best Mario Kart out there.
  5. Aug 16, 2012
    Mario Kart 64 is THE definitive kart racing game. Power-ups are a great addition to a racing game and this game paved the way for games over a decade after it's release. If you even call yourself a gamer, this should be somewhere in your collection.
  6. Aug 6, 2013
    The best Mario Kart of all time! HANDS DOWN!

Best of all: No blue shells being used by the computer!

This is a great classic game in the Mario Kart franchise and I think the very best in the series.
  7. Jun 30, 2014
    This was pretty much my first video-game experience. I remember visiting my Dad in Switzerland when he showed us he'd got this. The excitement of unboxing that N64 bundle with this game hasn't been matched to this day! Me, my brother and my father spent hours and hours racing each other and battling on the awesome battle arenas (particularly block fort and double decker). This game is really what started my life-long love affair with Nintendo. The tracks were amazing, the music was just as good and the crazy weapons made this game a hell of a lot of laughs every time we put the cartridge in! An all-time favourite for sure, with so many childhood memories in that cartridge. Expand
  8. Jan 19, 2011
    Loved this game it was amazing to play with friends. Easily spent metric ton of hours playing this at my house and over at friends houses. The only downside? only four players could play at a time!
  9. Apr 27, 2011
    Mario Kart 64 was mi first game ever. When you play this game today it wil be stil fun. The gameplay is fantastic and the soundtrack is awesome. The only bad thing is that nothing is perfect.
  10. Jul 26, 2011
    Out of all the Mario Kart games , in top of my list comes Mario Kart 64 definitely , the major improvement comes in the gameplay and graphics. Goofy, fun addicting and bizarre.
  11. Nov 7, 2011
    Mario Kart 64 was an amazing racing game for its time. It still has 8 playable characters like the SNES mario kart, but the graphics and gameplay are improved.
  12. Dec 30, 2013
    Game: Mario Kart 64 Genre: Racing Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo DS (NDS) Total Score: 94/100 Value Score: 9.4/10 • Story: */10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Great gameplay mechanics compared to Super Mario Kart +A decent roster of characters
    +Great new additions to the item arsenal
    +Stages are well made and a lot longer
    +Stages have more depth to them with multiple pathways
    +Multiplayer modes enhanced

Cons
    -AI racers are overpowered with the thanks to instant recovery time
    -AI can be really aggressive at times more than they should be
    -Character modes look like they were paper cut out models (highly pixilated too)
  13. May 29, 2012
    True classic, the first game in its genre. Just take your kart, catch some power-ups and destroy your enemies. The one player mode was great and long, but this game shines at multi player. You can spend all night playing with your friends (and laughing to tears).
  14. Jun 5, 2012
    One the one hand a very fun and exciting racing game, that doesnt take things too serious. Funny, creative and mystery racing tracks. On the other hand a pretty bad AI in single game mode, where skill sometimes doesnt help you too much, AI racers catching and speeding up too easily, even after playing them out.
  15. Aug 14, 2012
    This game has held up well, in my opinion, and is one of the very few N64 games I've continued to play years and years later. While it has it's flaws (e.g. no bots in 3/4 player mode, no additional single player content), it is a solid game that continues to be fun long after you've beat it. Mario Kart 64 is really a multiplayer game: play it with some friends and you'll have hours and hours of fun, especially in battle mode! Expand
  16. Sep 2, 2012
    When this game came out I firmly believe it was better than the SNES version, even though that was great too, and the 64 version still holds water to this day. This game was literally one of the funnest multiplayer games ever, whether you were racing or battling each other. This game is just a classic plain and simple and that is why the predecessors to this game took so many ideas from it. Another great game linked to childhood memories! Expand
  17. Nov 28, 2012
    One of the best n64 games of all time without a doubt and it never gets old sometimes u cant beat the classics. The game will always be a good game for sure
  18. Apr 24, 2013
    BEST COURSES EVER! A very fun game, but the items leave a little to be desired. I recommend it to people who don't normally enjoy racing games, but like super mario
  19. Aug 24, 2013
    Mario and his friends challenge each other in a whacky racing competition on go-karts.

In this lovable classic the game introduces you to a variety of colorful characters from the Mario franchise and a variety of unique maps. The controls are smooth even with the analog control design, and the game is overall fast and fun during its time. The only major issue this game has is the
    balancing, and you can easily cheat through some tracks. But overall it's still a joyful and entertaining experience.

4.8/5
  20. Mar 15, 2014
    A great kart racing game. I always remembered this as my favourite. It was my first Mario Kart game, and playing it today definately brings back memories. However, what leaves this at 9 rather than 10 is that a few weeks ago replaying the game, I came across a glitch in Rainbow Road, and the music stopped. The whole race then felt lonely. Seriously, if you can, just find a version without music but with the sound effects, its just lonely. Expand
  21. May 27, 2014
    Graphics: 9.0 Sound: 8.5 Gameplay: 10 Fun/Story: 10

When local multiplayer was the only way to play with friends, this game emerge as a perfect example of truly fun. Hand-to-hand with the goldeneye in this way.

1. It's the most beautiful thing that I've ever seen! An incredible game for racing and Mario fans that is the best of both catagories (that's right, better than Mario 64)!
  2. And on the eighth day, God created Mario Kart. He saw it, and it was good. [Jan 2004, p.189]
  3. Although it doesn't break any new grounds in originality (like Mario 64), Mario Kart 64 is a great addition to the N64 line-up. The solid graphics, good sound, and addictive gameplay--coupled with features like being able to race yourself (from a former race) in a special ghost mode--make you want to play it forever.