Ogre Battle 64 Nintendo 64
9.4

1. Sep 21, 2013
    A rather overrated N64 title, considering how superb March of the Black Queen on the SNES was. I see kids who grew up on the Nintendo 64 praising it greatly, since it was probably their first turn-based strategy game. However there were many predecessors that just seemed to do it better. It is a quality game in its own rite, but if you played MOTBQ and a translated copy of Tactics Ogre forA rather overrated N64 title, considering how superb March of the Black Queen on the SNES was. I see kids who grew up on the Nintendo 64 praising it greatly, since it was probably their first turn-based strategy game. However there were many predecessors that just seemed to do it better. It is a quality game in its own rite, but if you played MOTBQ and a translated copy of Tactics Ogre for the SNES as well as FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre on the PS1, you will soon realize this is just above average turn-based strat sandwiched between two superior takes on the genre. Expand
  2. Oct 2, 2012
    I don't hand out 10's very frequently but this game I feel is deserving in every way. The story was compelling, the graphics were good for their time and the replay value was high due to the Chaos Frame and branching decisions impacting who could be recruited. While this all adds to the game's appeal, there were two main factors that forced me to pick a 10 for this game:

1. The game

1. The game play is outstanding, from the RPG leveling and growth of your units, the customizable nature of the squads and the battles themselves all form a game that you enjoy all aspects of. You never feel like you're rushing through to get to the good stuff because it's all so good. 2. It is unique. Never before nor since have I found a game quite like Ogre Battle 64 - it's super Nintendo predecessor did not capture my attention in the same way nor has another game come out to replace it. This is a game that I still to this day dust off my N64 just to play once more through the story. Only a handful of games can same the same. If you've never played Ogre Battle 64 you owe it to yourself to give it a try!
  3. Sep 9, 2012
    This to me is the greatest RPG of all time, it allows for amazing customization and will leave you playing for hours. Years before its time. I've beaten it at least 10 times and still want to play it.
  4. Aug 30, 2012
    Extremely long, ridiculously in depth, and by far one of the most fulfilling turn-base role playing games (RPG) ever created. In the decade of the quick sensation video games, this title is no longer appreciated or pursued. This story line takes time to develop and the game can be ruthless at times, since when characters are killed and the user waits to long to revive, then charactersExtremely long, ridiculously in depth, and by far one of the most fulfilling turn-base role playing games (RPG) ever created. In the decade of the quick sensation video games, this title is no longer appreciated or pursued. This story line takes time to develop and the game can be ruthless at times, since when characters are killed and the user waits to long to revive, then characters will become apart of the undead and no longer be as they were. Also, the combination between elemental attacks were, relatively, unknown for when this title came out. This is a complete classic in the sense that if you put this in your Nintendo 64 today and took some time to learn the mechanics and play the game, then you would still have an amazing experience. Everything from elemental attacks to strategic placing, the alternate endings (which no game that I can think of had at that time), the abilities to change classes and equip weapons to each unit, to the strategic formation, and did I mention the numerous amount of characters to use, including dragons, ghosts, undead, humans, etc... This game has it all, all it needs is sometime for the user to learn the system and how things work, as all good in depth games do. Expand
  5. Aug 14, 2012
    Any negative aspects of this game seem like nit-picking to me, because almost every aspect of this game is fantastic. The graphics and music are very good, but more importantly the gameplay is enthralling. This RPG has pretty good amount of depth to it, and while you can manage without it, you'll probably find yourself frequently referencing online guides to understand the intricacies ofAny negative aspects of this game seem like nit-picking to me, because almost every aspect of this game is fantastic. The graphics and music are very good, but more importantly the gameplay is enthralling. This RPG has pretty good amount of depth to it, and while you can manage without it, you'll probably find yourself frequently referencing online guides to understand the intricacies of the game mechanics (alignments, evolution sequences, special characters, etc.) The story is very interesting and well done, drawing you into a fascinating world of ever-increasing wonder and danger. There are numerous difficult decisions to make, and while the storyline is generally linear, you often do have multiple options for which location to visit next--sometimes with important ramifications. The game is fairly lengthy, which I consider a good thing, but it means that if you take a long break from it you might have difficulty remembering what's happened. One little downside is that once you've played it once and therefore know how cool it gets, the early levels can be tedious (fighting with weak, basic units, etc.), but on my first playthrough I enjoyed it just fine. Expand
  6. May 29, 2012
    Challenging as hell this game is worthy of reverence. One of the best N64 games ever made. After a lot of thought I cannot find any negative aspect about this game. This is Perfection
  7. Jan 26, 2012
    This game is my all time favorite. I have never had so much fun with a game. The game can be a little slow but everything about this game contributes to its feel. I wish this game would be ported to a newer system because the combat and art are unique and work perfectly. The combat can be complex and is strategic. The music cannot be ignored because the tunes are still lodged in my brainThis game is my all time favorite. I have never had so much fun with a game. The game can be a little slow but everything about this game contributes to its feel. I wish this game would be ported to a newer system because the combat and art are unique and work perfectly. The combat can be complex and is strategic. The music cannot be ignored because the tunes are still lodged in my brain from when I last played....

I am not a great reviewer but the best thing I can say is that this is my favorite game of all time. 9.9 userscore...the people that played this game loved it enough to find it on metacritic and give it a positive review..
  8. Oct 23, 2011
    first of all i must admit that im a strategy jrpg fan and can understand that this game will only appeal to a very specific kind of gamer once said that i can only say good things about this game(not true i guess)
    amazing story, beautiful visuals, great battle system, very deep customization, long and fun quest....
    a bit too easy at the end and difficult to get into at first but still
    a bit too easy at the end and difficult to get into at first
    but still an rpg masterpiece
  9. SaulG.
    Nov 9, 2006
    i think that ogre battle 64 is one of the best games ever. i wish they would remake it and continue the story. i probably played the game like 5 times and it just doesnt get old. if theres more games like this let me know.
  10. JohnW.
    Oct 24, 2006
    This is not a game...it's a breath-taking piece of art.
  11. RasnarG.
    Jul 14, 2005
    to anyone wiiling to disscuss this game,or trade tips,I´d like to know how to get all the endings,I know how to get all the classes and tons of stuff
  12. DanielC.
    May 29, 2005
    This game is awsome, but I had some trouble with the whole answering questions thing in the begining. I didn't get the units that I wanted. Other than that it is fun. P.S.: If someone has info on the six questions please email me... does anyone read these?
  13. ReedA.
    May 16, 2005
    This is the greatest N64 game ever i loved it !!
  14. jabwebwebwe
    May 3, 2005
    Greatest game of all time.
  15. DevlinH.
    Jul 9, 2004
    This game is an excellent game for us thrill-seeking rpg fans. It have a great battle system, a wonderful class system, and a great storyline all in one game. Its well worth the purchase. And not to mention the replay value is astounding! I've beaten it 3 times and I still play it like mad! It has multiple endings (3 I believe), over 15 classes, and its very lloonngg!!! ( Don't This game is an excellent game for us thrill-seeking rpg fans. It have a great battle system, a wonderful class system, and a great storyline all in one game. Its well worth the purchase. And not to mention the replay value is astounding! I've beaten it 3 times and I still play it like mad! It has multiple endings (3 I believe), over 15 classes, and its very lloonngg!!! ( Don't worry, It'll keep its grip on you if you are a true RPG fan. I LOVE IT!!! It is something not even Gamecube could offer. Ogre Battles 64 is a wonderous game and deffidently deserves to be remade for PS2 and should be much more credited for the current development of all known RPG's today. It is very hard to find though:(! It's deffidently worth the money! Head on to Ebay to claim it yours today! (I'm not in any way affiliated with Ebay, but I saw PLENTY of copies on the site!!! lol c ya later :) Expand
  16. EduardoPortoR.
    Apr 12, 2004
    esse jogo é o melhor que tem pra video game. Seria legal se tivesse também pra computador,aí seria um jogo imbatível.
  17. LaserEye
    Nov 8, 2003
    IT's awesome, exept for their faces the graphics are really good, i've beaten the game, the characters all seem intact, no rigegd up character, and not too hard either.
  18. Virago
    Oct 17, 2003
    In a day and age where tragic (or near-tragic) heroes that have epic, compelling stories to back them up, as well as characters that actually live up to the title "Iconic", Ogre Battle 64 is like a streak of white in a pitch black sky. One of the most compelling stories put forth by this generation.
  19. Ender
    Aug 13, 2003
    This is one of the best games I've everplayed, and possibly one of the best games ever to come out for the N64. Even after playing through the game several times it still hooks you in for more, you just can't escape it's awesomeness.
  20. EddieT.
    Aug 7, 2003
    I beat this game once and I'm starting alllll over again *evil grin* I'm hooked.
  21. lol
    May 3, 2003
    So good!
  22. RavenO.
    Mar 17, 2003
    This is one of the best games out there! the graphics and gamepla are great, plus, you'll never play the exact game twice!
  23. Shibby
    Mar 8, 2003
    Awesome game. the first time I played it was good but it got more interesting when I played it the 2nd and 3rd times.
  24. OshM.
    Feb 20, 2003
    This is the best game nintendo has and it always will be the best game nintendo makes.
  25. Clifbandit
    Dec 18, 2002
    I don't know where to start OB 64 is probably by far one of the best RPG/SIM games i ever seen as far as being addictive goes its just as good as FF7, only with a better story. The game was put together beautifuly, if you like RPG or SIM games or just want to play something with a good storyline you should give this game a try! ... Are you of lordly calibur...?
  26. Cataphract-01
    Oct 28, 2002
    Excellent! It is very hard to find this game, but when I do I'm buying it! I don't care much for alignment, because it makes hard to get different units, but it makes the game more challenging. That makes it really fun!
  27. MattN.
    Jul 2, 2002
    I love the ogre battle saga. They need to continue on making the games.
  28. NickB.
    Apr 25, 2002
    All around a great game. I can't get enough.
  29. AlexM.
    Feb 22, 2002
    This game has excellent game play, great graphics (for the N64), and you have good controll over your units, the bad thing about combat is you cant control each character in the unit.
  30. ScottK.
    Feb 6, 2002
    I like this game a lot and it is fun if you try to play two player on it! If you haven't tried two player then you should try it cause it is simple. Just split the teams up to where one commands so much and the outher commands so much!!
  31. DeTnemrot
    Jan 25, 2002
    This game deserves a 10 all the way! Only problem i have with it is how you don't fight the battles the whole way through. I wish the units fought to the death (like in Training mode) But, aside from that i love the game. Great story, lots of cool character classes, lots of nice lil secrets and one of the best 64 games ever. (If you like this game, check out Final Fantasy Tactics, This game deserves a 10 all the way! Only problem i have with it is how you don't fight the battles the whole way through. I wish the units fought to the death (like in Training mode) But, aside from that i love the game. Great story, lots of cool character classes, lots of nice lil secrets and one of the best 64 games ever. (If you like this game, check out Final Fantasy Tactics, that is one of the best games for Play Station and is somewhat similar to Ogre Battle64) Expand
  32. Kin_slayer
    Jan 23, 2002
    This game is a truly incredible example of what the n64 is capable of. I started playing this game only recently, but I already have to say that this is definitely on a par with the Final Fantasy series, which I am also a major fan of.
  33. BenjaminC.
    Jan 17, 2002
    This is the ulitimate strategy game I have ever played and yet even before I finish the game I resart the whole game.
  34. CarlT.
    Nov 25, 2001
    This is the ultimate rpg for N64! It has wonderous graphics and scenary, there's loads of differents choices and paths, and the battle system. Now, most people dont like the battle system's automated controlling, but people should realize it's perfect! All you do is set the battle settings, sit back and lazily watch as you dont have to babysit each characters moves! Sure This is the ultimate rpg for N64! It has wonderous graphics and scenary, there's loads of differents choices and paths, and the battle system. Now, most people dont like the battle system's automated controlling, but people should realize it's perfect! All you do is set the battle settings, sit back and lazily watch as you dont have to babysit each characters moves! Sure this sometimes isn't that great, but it gets the job done fine. I rate the game 50 out of 10. Now, if you'll excuse me, now I'm off to play it! Expand
  35. Steadfast
    Aug 23, 2001
    This is the best game I've ever played in my life ^_^.
  36. Nosferatu
    Aug 7, 2001
    Buy it.
  37. TheDemonSlayer
    Aug 1, 2001
    Great game.
  38. RyanM.
    Jul 25, 2001
    An amazing game. Despite others complaints about not enough options in battle, I think that the various combinations you can get based on characteer placement make up for it.
  39. MattW.
    Jul 23, 2001
    This game is the best role player for N64 says I. While it would be nice for a few more options in battle, the storyline is fantastic. It takes a long time to beat, and the decisions you make affect how the game turns out. I love games like that!
  40. JimP.
    Jun 30, 2001
    This awesome RPG keeps me busy for hours. I want to start over before I actuallly finish!
  41. AmandaS.
    Jun 28, 2001
    For an N64 RPG this game rocked! The graphics were just like a Playstation game, i.e. "Star Ocean." A long game which I love, but in battles there should be more options like choosing different spells, different attacks etc. All in all I recommend that any RPG fan play this game you'll love it!!
  42. Sep 9, 2012

1. If you have the attention span of, say, George W. Bush you're not going to much out of Ogre Battle 64. Now go away.
  2. Ogre Battle 64 offers a detailed branching story and great depth of customization, both executed brilliantly within the limitations of a 35-meg cartridge.
  3. An excruciating experience that will bear some of the most rewarding gameplay experiences ever crafted... Quest has once again pulled off another masterpiece in the flawless Ogre Battle Saga.