Paper Mario Nintendo 64

9.2

1. Aug 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I grew up with Super Mario RPG on this SNES, and had wanted to play Paper Mario back when it was still Super Mario RPG 2 in development. So when I bought a Wii, this was the first game I downloaded. Did I enjoy the game? Yes and no.

Starting with the good points. - There is a LOT to see and do in the game, and since most of the backtracking can be avoided it doesn't get old quickly, which I can really appreciate.
    - The character and enemy design is fairly decent. There's not a great deal of variety in either, but their graphics still look crisp for being 11 years old (though the 3D parts still look dated)
    - There's a lot of customizing to be done with badges, which does present a bit of thought provoking when you have to choose what will be good in the upcoming battles.
    - Humor is everywhere in the game. Most of it was too cheesy for me, but there were some I really enjoyed, like Whacka the mole.
    - The end credits were perfect, doing another march as in Super Mario RPG. Couldn't have done them better.

Andddd the bad.
    - The story. For an RPG, they really didn't try too hard to make a decent storyline, just the same "Bowser kidnaps Peach" plot that they've reused dozens of times since 1985. - Though there are a lot of badge options, the low maximum for badge number really limits the usefulness. After equipping the 3 "Attack/Defense Plus" badges, you're down to only 12 to play with. I found the most effective build was to boost your normal attacking/defending skills, which really only gave you room for 1 special attack.
    - Whoever did the work on names really needed a second opinion. All of the toad names were mind numbingly terrible puns, like Tayse T. the cook, Russ T. the librarian, and Dain T. Gah.
    - The battle system needed a lot of polish. It still uses the same basic system from Super Mario RPG but was simplified at just about every turn. No armor and 2 weapons to choose from in the entire game made shops mostly invalidated. The enemy queue system meant that you were mostly stuck attacking whoever was closest first, unless you invested heavily in mostly useless badges. The experience system was frustrating at best, seeing as level-ups quickly made most battles pointless, as no experience would be awarded.
    - Mario's secondary characters were mostly useless. Goombario, Watt and Bombette would last you the entire game. The others were generally unimpressive in battle and really only served for non-combat abilities.
    - Peach's scenes were the worst by far. She couldn't take any real actions (no jumping or attacking) and it quickly became repetitive, as she could even take a "secret" passageway into Bowser's room with him IN THERE, and still get to try it again next time. Baffling. The cake making was miserable.
    - The arguing with Square got a lot of the more nostalgic points removed from the game (at least for me), with Star Hill becoming Shooting Star Point, and even "Time Hits" became "Action Commands". I would have loved to see Mallow in the game, but that's life.
    - No real mini-games to speak of. Unless you want to count the letter delivering. Which I don't.

In the end, Paper Mario was a serviceable RPG. Too simplistic to really be called amazing, but it was decent. And it's hard to fault the game too much, because it's a non Squaresoft, non-Pokemon RPG. At least they tried. But I doubt I'd play it a second time through.
  2. ZiggyStardust
    Oct 31, 2002
    Admittedly I am not a fan of the RPG genre in general, but if I had to play one, this would be near the top of the list. It blends skill based moves with turn based combat. It's a decent game.
  3. May 22, 2012
    This is one of the few (or maybe the only) RPG for N64. As RPG is very simple in its mechanics which I don't like. Some degree of complexity is always welcome in this kind of games. On the other side, I like the artistic style and the localizations. Maybe the only problem is that it could be completed in 10 or 20 hours (can't remember very well, sorry), which is very short for a RPG game.This is one of the few (or maybe the only) RPG for N64. As RPG is very simple in its mechanics which I don't like. Some degree of complexity is always welcome in this kind of games. On the other side, I like the artistic style and the localizations. Maybe the only problem is that it could be completed in 10 or 20 hours (can't remember very well, sorry), which is very short for a RPG game. This game is in the middle of the genre, not the best but not the worst certainly. Expand
  4. Dec 30, 2012
    One of my Favorite games. This is easily the best in the series for me. The chapters and partners are great and the battle system never gets old for me. The only problems are the fact that you can't do anything after you beat the final boss, you just go back to your last save, and the fact that you have a limit to leveling up. Despite the graphics being outdated, this game still holds upOne of my Favorite games. This is easily the best in the series for me. The chapters and partners are great and the battle system never gets old for me. The only problems are the fact that you can't do anything after you beat the final boss, you just go back to your last save, and the fact that you have a limit to leveling up. Despite the graphics being outdated, this game still holds up quite strong, and has many wonderful memories. Collapse

#2 Most Discussed N64 Game of 2001
#1 Most Shared N64 Game of 2001

1. While said story may not live up to the expectations of most RPG fans, or fans of Super Mario RPG, it is far better and more interesting than the typical 'stories' you have to endure in a Mario game.
  2. Da Gameboyz
    With its light-hearted plot, loveable characters, innovative gameplay and perfectly fitting music, this game should appeal to anyone and everyone.
  3. With stunning graphics, excellent sound, and extremely solid gameplay, Paper Mario is a quality game on all fronts.