Paper Mario Nintendo 64
9.1

1. Nov 28, 2012
    Where to begin...This game is my favorite game of all time. To begin, let's start with the presentation, graphics and audio. The graphics are very good for n64. The contrast of the 2D characters with the 3D background still holds up today.
    The music is almost flawless. The title screen music gives the player a sense of fun urgency to begin the adventure, the battle themes are classic, and the remaining themes are all conducted perfectly, fitting their respective environments.
    The story appears to be typical of a mario game as bowser steals peach and mario must rescue her. However, Paper Mario's story shines in its details. The npcs of the game are given a great amount of characterization, which this creates a sense of connectivity within the game that is not seen in many other mario games. The story is revealed in storybook fashion, with each world being called a chapter instead. Each chapter is completely different from the previous, keeping the game fresh by introducing new environments, objectives, puzzles, characters, and gameplay. After each chapter, you get to see what peach is up to. This is the worst part of the game, as you have to control kidnapped peach in an attempt to find out information to get relayed to mario. However, this is an interesting concept that would get expanded on in the next 2 paper mario games.
    Onto the actual gameplay elements: As you progress in the game, you pick up several party members. These party members are needed for puzzles and assist you in battle. The battles are turn based, yet are interactive, as you can perform action commands to do more damage or block attacks, much like in mario rpg. As you progress, you get more attacks, upgrades, badges, and items that add an amazing amount of depth and strategy to the game. You can level up if you get enough battle experience. As a kid I didn't know any better but to always increase my heart points (health) rather than allocating it between flower points and badge points. The bosses all bring something new to the table, and you must figure out a strategy to beat each one. Other gameplay elements include solving well thought out puzzles that progressively get more rewarding and challenging, collecting star pieces to get new badges, and exploring the vast maze of the toad town tunnels. Yeah, so in summary, the battle system is pretty amazing and deep and tops off an almost flawless game.
  2. BenB
    Jun 25, 2008
    When I played this game I didn't even think about pokemon at all it has a complete different feel to it and Pokemon has brought in the dough for Nintendo and they have the right to make a game after Mario that is somewhat related and to draw people away from RPG games of other systems since Nintendo does not have that many.
  3. BeckyW.
    May 30, 2003
    I think the game was fabulous, and although I'm stuck on Huff n Puff, I love it. It's adventurous and action packed!
  4. CammeronJ.
    Sep 9, 2001
    It has lots of action and adventure. I love it.
  5. MattF.
    Feb 20, 2002
    I really liked the game although I think moustafa should be a partner.
  6. TylerV.
    Apr 1, 2004
    Like all the known Mario Games, it pretty much is the same story. BUT!!! It not only has more extra features with a great blend of comedy, it allows you to get the personality of every character, let it be Mario or Bowser or even a ghost shopkeeper. Let just say it's a unique RPG.
  7. WillB.
    Oct 2, 2005
    I think this roll playing game is one of the greatest N64 games EVER!!!!!
  8. Jack
    Aug 25, 2001
    The best RPG and 64 game I have ever played in my life.
  9. B.S.
    Oct 23, 2002
    For once a perfect 64 game...
  10. MarceloP.F.
    Jun 24, 2002
    I´m a big Mario fan and I would say... Wow!!... This is one of Mario´s best games in my opinion, not only because I loved its ancestor, Super Mario RPG, but also because it´s a unique experience. Although at first place it seems to be a silly game, it isn´t at all! The Tayce T´s Recipes, the Badges Combinations, Mario´s new friends are the perfect I´m a big Mario fan and I would say... Wow!!... This is one of Mario´s best games in my opinion, not only because I loved its ancestor, Super Mario RPG, but also because it´s a unique experience. Although at first place it seems to be a silly game, it isn´t at all! The Tayce T´s Recipes, the Badges Combinations, Mario´s new friends are the perfect ingredients for a perfect game! Expand
    Jul 9, 2002
    This game is one of the greatest games I have ever played. Once I started I just could not stop!
  12. AndrewD.
    Sep 8, 2007
    On my top 5 list of N64 games. I have downloaded this game on the wii virtual console, and spent 3 days straight of just playing. Very addictive and fun. Great turn-base and is not like pokemon where every 5 steps there is an enemy. After the finishing the storyline, I had lots of fun collecting badges and extras. I recommend a buy on N64, and the wii virtual console.
  13. ColeW.
    Feb 12, 2008
    I just bought this for the Wii virtual console last week and I can't stop playing it! It is incredibly immersive and just plain fun!
  14. Emily
    May 31, 2002
    This is the best game. Bow is my all time favorite partner.
  15. DME
    Jul 25, 2012
    Engaging, varied, hilarious, and just plain fun. Even in 2012, Paper Mario still entertains far more than many new releases. The story and dialogue was written exceptionally well and it's turn-based combat system is still unmatched (apart from Paper Mario 2). I found only two flaws in this entire game: The introduction was very boring and you can't save your game after defeating the final boss.
  16. Dec 2, 2011
    The greatest rpg of all time and spiritually my favorite game. There is nothing about this game that isn't fun. From the Dry Dry Desert to Star Haven every moment of this game is memorable and perfectly done. Great classic Mario story and so much to do.
  17. Jan 9, 2011
    Paper Mario is an instant classic and PAPRMRIODSTROYR, I think it's pretty pathetic to make an account just so you can leave lies on this game. I don't really think your 0 did anything to the score. It's still a 9.1. I actually downloaded this game from the wii shop channel and I couldn't stop playing it. Great N64 game.
  18. Aug 14, 2011
    Great graphics and art direction with deep turn-based gameplay and a surprisingly good story. An army of charming supporting characters make this a larger scale adventure than most other Mario titles. Vibrant environments range from deserts to forests to the skies, each with its own personality. The game succeeds in adapting classic Mario gameplay, enemies and regions into an RPG withoutGreat graphics and art direction with deep turn-based gameplay and a surprisingly good story. An army of charming supporting characters make this a larger scale adventure than most other Mario titles. Vibrant environments range from deserts to forests to the skies, each with its own personality. The game succeeds in adapting classic Mario gameplay, enemies and regions into an RPG without feeling like a thin lick of paint on an RPG template. Dialogue is well written and occasionally funny, with a kind of self aware glee that would never be attempted in a main series Mario game. Paper Mario is an incredible game that manages to be gloriously simple and complex simultaneously. Expand
  19. AB
    Nov 11, 2004
    This is the best N64 game since The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And I totally agree with Mamada Guy!
  20. RodH.
    Apr 29, 2004
    Great game, deeper than SMRPG, hopefully 2 will be as good.
  21. DanG.
    May 3, 2004
    Worth buying. If you loved Super Mario RPG or any RPG's period, then this is for you! You'll be hooked instantly.
  22. Vic
    Aug 23, 2005
    Most cool game on N64 if you see it buy it now.
  23. BradJ
    Nov 25, 2008
    This is one heck of a game. I was lucky enough to buy this when I was younger, and have a lot of great memories with this game. It is just amazing. The story manages to be both very epic and incredibly humorous at the same time. The graphics were damn sweet for an N64 game, gameplay was boss! Battling is cool with timed button presses with attacks. Lot's of neat abilities as well. This is one heck of a game. I was lucky enough to buy this when I was younger, and have a lot of great memories with this game. It is just amazing. The story manages to be both very epic and incredibly humorous at the same time. The graphics were damn sweet for an N64 game, gameplay was boss! Battling is cool with timed button presses with attacks. Lot's of neat abilities as well. The game is lengthy as well, with lots of sidequests. You NEED to download this game on the virtual console. It's a steal for $10! One of the greatest N64 games, very underated. You owe it to yourself to buy this amazing game! Expand
  24. ShawnL
    Dec 8, 2008
    A really awesome RPG game that has an awesome story and overall a really special experience.
  25. FredT.
    Aug 17, 2008
    A classic. Still playing seven years from now. Smart, innovative, creative worlds, and fun.
  26. Mr.PaperMario
    Feb 28, 2009
    this is on my top 10 list :) its also got 97th place on IGN top 100 in 2008 - not bad considering the thousands of games out there
  27. Alan
    Mar 29, 2009
    A majestic mix of platforming and rpg. One of the greatest games of all time.
  28. DavidD.
    Jan 18, 2007
    If you liked Super Mario RPG, you will fall in love with this game. RPG fans should check this title out.
  29. AleksiK
    Dec 17, 2008
    Rather easy and simple, but also fun and innovative. Great fun and a definite future classic.
  30. AleahH
    Aug 23, 2009
    Fun gameplay, amazing music, creative, and oozing with charm, Paper Mario is definitely one of the top five games on the N64. There are plenty of side quests that will keep you playing even years after you've completed it.

1. While said story may not live up to the expectations of most RPG fans, or fans of Super Mario RPG, it is far better and more interesting than the typical 'stories' you have to endure in a Mario game.
  2. With its light-hearted plot, loveable characters, innovative gameplay and perfectly fitting music, this game should appeal to anyone and everyone.
  3. With stunning graphics, excellent sound, and extremely solid gameplay, Paper Mario is a quality game on all fronts.