Star Fox 64 Nintendo 64
8.7

1. Mar 22, 2011
    star fox on the SNES was alot of fun and the N64 version is even better with multiple paths extending the amount of times you can play it along with very nice graphics for its day . the new addition of taking you into free roam combat and fighting the evil star wolf force was alot of fun . if you loved the old star fox you will love the 64 version . now why cant they make a great star fox game like this for the wii? Expand
  2. Jan 19, 2011
    I came to play this game late. Never really interested, but it still tried it. I loved it and I am pretty sure I played from start to finish in one sitting... that sounds too insane but I think it's accurate.
  3. Aug 14, 2011
    A thoroughly original and addictive game with fluid gameplay and a large cast of characters. Fast paced and large scale action make this a game that showed what the N64 was capable of. Maneuvering in all range battles can often be tricky but apart from this there is little that holds the game back.
  4. Mar 3, 2013
    Star Fox 64 has great graphics, good controls and i like that there is more than one route to complete the game. The major problem is the difficulty, its way to easy. However its fun.
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    Star Fox 64 is the best Star Fox game to date. Everything about it, from the awesome graphics to the crazy shooter action, is near perfect. You can't go wrong with this game. The only gripe I have with this game is Peppy the freaking toad. God, he's annoying.
  6. May 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This a really fun game and i love it you feel awesome when you are piloting the arwing its really addicting and shooting things just gives you an awesome feeling the sad thing is this game is way to short for asfun as it is there are different levels to unlock through doing certain things like if you save the base and defeat star wolf on one mission then you can have a choice but if you fail to do so you are stuck with only the choice of one level all in all its a good game though Expand
  7. Jan 10, 2011
    Ah yes. Good ol' Lylat Wars. (Or Star Fox 64) Surely one of the greatest games of all time. The gameplay is really fun and it has replay value due to its multiple endings. The graphics are great for an N64 game. The controls are responsive and do a great job to navigate you through its challenging levels. The characters are great and have varied personalities even though Slippy is well, himself. Also, luckily Panther isn't in the game. Very lucky. It does get repetitive though... It's still a classic and I'd give a 9.5 if I could, but I can't. Unfortunately for poor of Fox and crew the later sequels are pretty bad (well, Star Fox Assault...ergh...). Hope they return to their glory days. I've also heard that Platinum Games want to make a Star Fox Game. Hope it works if they do get to it... Expand
  8. Sep 11, 2013
    Man I really love this game. I played this game all the time when I was a kid, and now looking back on it, Star Fox 64 was better than I ever remembered. And hey who could forget the classic quote "Do a Barrel Roll!"? But Slippy Toad though has to be the most annoying character in this game. But so with great music wonderful graphics and addicting gameplay, Star Fox 64 is a classic. Score: 4/5.
  9. Apr 20, 2013
    One of the greatest games I've ever played and very close to being the best N64 game of all time. Replayability is practically endless and the game's challenging and varies enough for you to want to keep playing.
  10. Jan 7, 2012
    Star Fox might not be the benchmark for flight simulators (and I call it that loosely) and the length may not be the longest, but it is non the less a great game that still can be a lot of fun. Don't expect a legendary game, but don't be surprised if you find yourself getting the urge to play despite the fact it is 15 years old.
  11. Aug 16, 2012
    Star Fox 64 is one of those amazing games that cannot be described in words, as nothing I can say will be adequate enough to describe an amazing thing that can only be experience firsthand. This is a game you simply must try.
  12. Feb 8, 2012
    You will never find a greater game than this. If you plan on getting playing on the Nintendo 64 ever and you haven't played this, you are missing out on one of the greatest 64 games conceived. Memorable characters and lines (Do a barrel roll!), fun combat, and replayibility up the whazoo.
  13. Feb 7, 2011
    I was so disappointed by this game that I registered on this site just so that I can warn other people, because this game has yet to receive an honest review. What we have here is a turd wrapped in gold. As a big fan of Starfox for the SNES, as well as Starfox 2 for the SNES, I thought it would be perfectly natural for me to enjoy Starfox 64 for the N64. Ooh how naive I was. This is easily not only the worse Starfox I have ever played, but also the worse N64 shooter that I have played as well. Honestly, I am still in shock over how absolutely awful this game turned out to be.

You see, the worse thing about this game is all of the hype and praise that surrounds it. You get the impression that not only is this a fantastic N64 game, but one of the best! At first, it is a very good game. However, once you get into it, you realize how this is a video game that is clearly a victim of genuinely terrible game design. Everything is way too easy at first, it's dead obvious. So how did the game designers fix this? You would be right to think that they simply made it more challenging later on, but sadly this is not true. The route that the designers chose to make this game more challenging was to simply make it cheap, and cheap as hell. That's right, you will not lose due to your own skill, no, if you lose, it will be due to some poor and/or cheap design choice. To top it all off, the final boss is nothing but a giant, detached, floating monkey head with giant, detached, floating hands. I think that pretty well explains the story for this game as well.

With the 3DS coming out soon, and a 3DS version announced, I got this game to see what the hype is all about. Please, don't buy into the hype. There is nothing good and/or special to be found here.
  14. Sep 23, 2013
    Star Fox is one of the most popular games on the N64, and for good reason too; it brought new ideas to the video gaming board. Sure, Star Fox wasn't the first piloting game, but it was the first piloting game to give the player a 3D perspective of the whole game (Or at least the first one to master it). It may not seem like a huge deal, but Super Mario 64 did the same thing with showing the possibilities of a 3D game, and it was one of the greatest games made.
    The keyword to this whole situation is "Master". For a game to be good, you have to expand and evaluate on the ideas and concepts on a game. To master a game, you have to do that, plus achieve every subconscious way to attract the player. Star Fox did this, and quite well at that. It put its new mechanics to the test, not with gimmicks, but with trivial or optional situations. It found a way to have mini-obstacles in the game for the player to experiment with, like random hoops or enemy formations. It also excelled in the combat system as well. It accomplished great control-ability, and smooth movement which gave the player a feel of complete control, especially with moves like the famous "Barrel roll".
    The main thing that makes Star Fox so great is that it's hard to find anything wrong with the game. Though, there are the cheesy lines and acting, the over-easy levels at times, and the lack of cooperation with teammates, those problems are minor. You have to look at the game as a whole, and look at what appealed to you the most. In Star Fox 64, there is much to appeal to you, and you will most definitely come back to play again (Most likely to find out how to play on those other planets).
  15. Mar 4, 2012
    Great graphics for the game system, and a wonderful story that has had me hooked for years. It has addicting game play that allows you to keep playing the game over and over again. It is the best game of the star fox franchise, the best game on the nintendo 64, and i think the best video game overall.
  16. May 23, 2012
    Star Fox 64

Graphics 9/10- look amazing, extremely detailed environments and textures for N64 standards. The rumble pack was used for the first time in this game, enhancing the vibrating controller experience. Some points have enemies and texture pop-ups a bit too close to the player. Many items and textures can fit on screen, but this sometimes results in the game taking a slowdown,
    fortunately this only seems to happen on the non-arwing stages. The laser blasts and bombs are colorful and cartoonish.

Sound 8/10- pretty solid, voice acting is corny but well done, sound effects are awesome to hear and correspond with the gameplay perfectly. The music and soundtrack differs in each linear stage and some sandbox stages, giving an atmospheric feel for the level design and situational urgency it has to offer. The boss music is the same throughout the game minus the final boss and Star Wolf's theme, but the track itself is pretty stimulating and appropriate. Gameplay 9/10- addictive, and stimulating, so much is happening on screen at once, enemy variety certainly helps and even though some may be disappointed with the generic cookie-cutter enemies that die with one shot and lack of difficulty. Choosing multiple paths and two different endings give it much replay ability value. Boss fights are fought in either a sandbox or POV fashion. They are generally easy and not too challenging, though there are some exceptions. Minus the sandbox levels, each stage ends with a boss battle. Defeating these bosses under certain conditions can unlock multiple paths to take upon completion, but you arenâ
  17. Jun 18, 2013
    Uno de los mejores juegos de la nintendo 64 y de la historia en su género. Los personajes están llenos de carisma, múltiples caminos alternativos en la historia, secretos, curiosidades y muchas cosas más que lo hacen muy rejugable. Divertidísimo.
  18. Feb 7, 2011

1. It's the shoot 'em up of shoot 'em ups. Star Fox 64 shouldn't be seen as a sequel to the SNES Star Fox, however. It's more of a director's cut to an old, great film.
  2. It features nice graphics, wonderful sound, addictive gameplay, and a lot of replay value.
  3. A very pretty reprise of the original Star Fox story, but with new stuff. [Jan 2004, p.189]