Star Fox 64 Nintendo 64
8.8

1. Feb 7, 2011
    I was so disappointed by this game that I registered on this site just so that I can warn other people, because this game has yet to receive an honest review. What we have here is a turd wrapped in gold. As a big fan of Starfox for the SNES, as well as Starfox 2 for the SNES, I thought it would be perfectly natural for me to enjoy Starfox 64 for the N64. Ooh how naive I was. This is easilyI was so disappointed by this game that I registered on this site just so that I can warn other people, because this game has yet to receive an honest review. What we have here is a turd wrapped in gold. As a big fan of Starfox for the SNES, as well as Starfox 2 for the SNES, I thought it would be perfectly natural for me to enjoy Starfox 64 for the N64. Ooh how naive I was. This is easily not only the worse Starfox I have ever played, but also the worse N64 shooter that I have played as well. Honestly, I am still in shock over how absolutely awful this game turned out to be.

You see, the worse thing about this game is all of the hype and praise that surrounds it. You get the impression that not only is this a fantastic N64 game, but one of the best! At first, it is a very good game. However, once you get into it, you realize how this is a video game that is clearly a victim of genuinely terrible game design. Everything is way too easy at first, it's dead obvious. So how did the game designers fix this? You would be right to think that they simply made it more challenging later on, but sadly this is not true. The route that the designers chose to make this game more challenging was to simply make it cheap, and cheap as hell. That's right, you will not lose due to your own skill, no, if you lose, it will be due to some poor and/or cheap design choice. To top it all off, the final boss is nothing but a giant, detached, floating monkey head with giant, detached, floating hands. I think that pretty well explains the story for this game as well.

With the 3DS coming out soon, and a 3DS version announced, I got this game to see what the hype is all about. Please, don't buy into the hype. There is nothing good and/or special to be found here.

1. It's the shoot 'em up of shoot 'em ups. Star Fox 64 shouldn't be seen as a sequel to the SNES Star Fox, however. It's more of a director's cut to an old, great film.
  2. It features nice graphics, wonderful sound, addictive gameplay, and a lot of replay value.
  3. A very pretty reprise of the original Star Fox story, but with new stuff. [Jan 2004, p.189]