Super Mario 64 Nintendo 64

9.2

1. Yaners
    Aug 5, 2002
    This was my first nintendo game (i got it when i was six) it is still one of my favorite games. I still haven't got all 120 stars!!!
  2. WillT
    Jan 1, 2010
    Now I've been a die-hard mario fan since the NES days, but really come on! just because this game was the first real 3d platformer does not mean it's good, It's okay... obviously it was more enjoyable back in the day, but if your looking to play it now you won't be impressed too many stars in levels and just plain boring I never liked it, not even in my top 20 N64
  3. Shane95
    Jan 2, 2010
    I like this game a lot, the graphics are good, for N64, the gameplay is awesome, and the story, to the people who give 0s and 5s, The Story has been the same for 20 years, also the camera angle is good, N64 fans and Mario fans, and others should play this game, or you fail. By the way, anyone who gives this game 0s to 5s are not gamers, i'm sorry but thats what it makes you: Not Gamers
  4. MarkD.
    Apr 15, 2003
    This game is great i played it from 1997 to 1999 and finally beat it with 120 stars.
  5. Uter
    Sep 5, 2003
    It's one of the top 10 best games of all time. The levels are brilliant, and the puzzles are diverse and inventive. When you compare this to today's Mario Sunshine, there's really no contest. Mario 64 is a vastly superior game.
  6. GlenS.
    Feb 24, 2005
    The best game ever since when it came out till now feb 2005.the only game that is nearly as good is zeda ocarina of time.
  7. CharlieW.
    Jan 20, 2006
    Until recently, I hadn't played the game since 1999. In 2005 though, I bought an N64 on an impulse for twenty bucks along with a copy of Super Mario 64. I was curious to see if the plumber could still hold his own against newer games like Half-Life 2. I played it for a while and realized that it is still the best dammned game I've ever played. Better than anything that the Until recently, I hadn't played the game since 1999. In 2005 though, I bought an N64 on an impulse for twenty bucks along with a copy of Super Mario 64. I was curious to see if the plumber could still hold his own against newer games like Half-Life 2. I played it for a while and realized that it is still the best dammned game I've ever played. Better than anything that the current-gen systems can dish out, better than Halo, better than anything. It is the definitive platformer. The graphics are beautiful, the levels have incredible depth, and the sheer length of the game makes it an absolute classic. The replay value is relatively high. And it is hard to find all 120 of those stars. In fact, if you were devoted enough to getting a single star which has eluded you, it is possible to unwittingly spend up to an hour or more chasing that one star. The game has the ability to make one obsess over it. The only flaw this game has is the wacky camera. May Super Mario 64 live on forever, and may it never be forgotten. Expand
  8. RolandJ.
    Feb 5, 2006
    If you want to play the very best 3D platform game that has been made, play Mario 64. This is the flagship title for the console at the peak of console gaming. It is not just a superb game; it's a piece of history. If you want to know about videogames, you must play this game. Console gaming grew up around platformers and this is the only thing resembling a blueprint for platforming If you want to play the very best 3D platform game that has been made, play Mario 64. This is the flagship title for the console at the peak of console gaming. It is not just a superb game; it's a piece of history. If you want to know about videogames, you must play this game. Console gaming grew up around platformers and this is the only thing resembling a blueprint for platforming in the 3D era. You don't know where videogames have got to unless you play this. Expand
  9. Starfire
    Oct 23, 2007
    This is just as fun and mesmerising as the day it came out. Mixing the playful fantasy of Mario with immersive 3D graphics is a stunning combination. The DS version doesn't have the same playability. As others say, it may well still be the best game ever created- certainly the one with the most freedom of play.
  10. RobR.
    Sep 4, 2007
    Still very playable now, helped by the Wii Virtual Console, and a mesmerising game at on release.
  11. TitaniumDragon
    May 25, 2008
    The best 3D platformer I've ever played, and arguably ever. It does everything it should do, and is just tons of fun. You can't NOT enjoy this game; it is amazingly well put together, has a decent level of difficulty, and some amount of replay value. The gameplay is simply amazing, and everyone should play this game at least once.
  12. CST
    Nov 22, 2009
    This Game is definitely a very revolutionary game because it is the first great 3-D plat former, that means it has some mistakes because it didn
  13. thisgameishotlol
    Apr 10, 2009
    don't listen to idiots like joe s who scored this lower than any of the critics. this game rules
  14. greatgameepicwin
    Apr 30, 2009
    omg.. the critic who only gave this game an 80 misspelled the word "definitely" in his review. omfg.
  15. AdamM
    Apr 5, 2009
    I remember being 12 and spending hours trying to get that star... I took out the Nintendo 64 this morning and relived my memories. Best game ever.
  16. DavidT.
    Feb 10, 2003
    This is one of the greatest games ever created. This game is still used as the standard from which all games are judged, and no game has yet to unseat it. This game is just fun, as well as long and challenging. Even though this game was released seven years ago, I still find myself playing it.
  17. Smith
    Feb 23, 2003
    Great fun, and without it, there would be no Mario Sunshine. I wouldn't want to live in that world *shudder*
  18. KyleN.
    Nov 3, 2005
    Simply amazing. Best platformer of all time.
  19. JohnB.
    Jul 12, 2005
    This is my favorite game ever. It is better thatn bond, halo, and any other game that I've played. It has great graphics great game play and it is sweet.
  20. JoshuaL.
    Dec 30, 2006
    Probably the funnest game for N64,I dislike the N64 too but this game was so good, I used 1000 Wii points to buy it.
  21. MichaelF.
    Jun 30, 2006
    This game lacks at nothing and is the pure definition of 3-d mario. as classic as it is, this game is outstanding with its length, difficulty, and gameplay. While not boasting great graphics, the game's classic tunes should never be forgotton and its themes to be the base of many modern gaming themes. A recommendation, classic, and superior game indeed.
  22. DanielD.
    May 30, 2007
    Its a game.... that grows on you.... like you play the game when your 5 like me.... and play it on the DS. It doesnt feel the same. Its a game that you should pass it on your kids and see the great times you had when you were a kid..... (I'll never forget how great this game is. It gets a 10.)
  23. PaulM.
    Feb 19, 2008
    A truly unforgettable and original game .A wonderfully fun and enjoyable experience from start to finish.This is a remarkable achievement in games development that raised the bar to untouchable heights in the most picturesque, awe-inspiring and loveable way possible.A magicaly addictive and enchanting game that will remain the fondest gaming memory of my life .This game is without doubt A truly unforgettable and original game .A wonderfully fun and enjoyable experience from start to finish.This is a remarkable achievement in games development that raised the bar to untouchable heights in the most picturesque, awe-inspiring and loveable way possible.A magicaly addictive and enchanting game that will remain the fondest gaming memory of my life .This game is without doubt one of a kind.It plays like an immaculate dream that you will not want to wake up from.Beautiful, Colourful, Inviting, and always brilliant.Guaranteed to satisfy and exhilirate even the most intricate of imaginations.Eternally exciting, fun and enjoyable. THE BEST PLATFORM GAME OF ALL TIME. Expand
  24. ENOUGH!!
    Jan 11, 2009
    This was the first real game I had ever played in the fifth generation, so of course I liked it. I then played it again, twelve years later. What happened? Genius. Despite the passing of time, Super Mario 64 proves to us the reason why the Platformer was so popular in the 5th and 6th generations. Sadly, many of those games were cheap knockoffs that are NOTHING compared to the original This was the first real game I had ever played in the fifth generation, so of course I liked it. I then played it again, twelve years later. What happened? Genius. Despite the passing of time, Super Mario 64 proves to us the reason why the Platformer was so popular in the 5th and 6th generations. Sadly, many of those games were cheap knockoffs that are NOTHING compared to the original (Ratchet and Clarnk, The original Crash, and the original Spyro, obviously do not count; they are awesome.) Expand
  25. AnthonyE
    Oct 25, 2009
    This is a fantastic game. Fans of Mario will love it for the nostalgia, and non fans will love it because it is a game full of charm, wit, fun and even with a few spooky moments thrown in! (the ghost house). A must, as it is available on the Wii virtual console for 1,000 points (£10).
  26. PatrickP
    Oct 3, 2009
    Even after over a decade, Super Mario 64 still holds up with pure, sweet fun. The controls are tight, though flawed, and there isn't much here that Galaxy didn't build on or improve. However, it retains a classic feel while still being able to stand the test of time. It kick-started the 3-D world of video games, effortlessly transformed the prior Mario worlds into a new 3-D Even after over a decade, Super Mario 64 still holds up with pure, sweet fun. The controls are tight, though flawed, and there isn't much here that Galaxy didn't build on or improve. However, it retains a classic feel while still being able to stand the test of time. It kick-started the 3-D world of video games, effortlessly transformed the prior Mario worlds into a new 3-D environment, and most of all, it gave us a taste of things to come. Once a classic, always a classic. Expand
  27. MikkelJ
    Mar 25, 2009
    this is the best game i ever have playede but my Nintendo 64 is broken and i can't buy a new one. i hope the game comes to a newer console (sorry for my bad english)
  28. joes
    Sep 26, 2009
    definitely THE best Mario game, followed closely by galaxy.
    Mar 31, 2002
    This game was revolutionary for its time. The first fully 3D environment on a console. The control is intuitive and the game offers a good challenge (especiall to master with 120 stars) all with an excellent learning curve. Nintendo at its best.
  30. MichaelC.
    Jan 11, 2003
    This game is excellent. The camera sucks, though.
  31. Hellboy
    Dec 6, 2004
    One Of The Best Games Ever.
  32. RobertC.
    Feb 22, 2004
    Imagine a world without this game...without this game, the N64 would surely have not been as succesful, the platform-genre would be five years backwards, graphics would take a major hit, and video games in general would have something lacking.
  33. AlexL.
    May 27, 2004
    It is the most revolutionary game,Miyomota did great and it's an instant classic. Gameplay is great and i love sunshine but this is still a lot better.This is my favorite game ever!!!!!
  34. JustinH.
    Oct 16, 2005
    No other game has yet to fill me with the same sense of wonder as Super Mario 64. Nothing comes close to the first time you pushed the analogue controller and saw Mario react as if he was an extension of your body. It was then I knew I had to have a N64, and while it's a little sad that the heights were never reached again. Fantastic level design and a truly revolutionary control No other game has yet to fill me with the same sense of wonder as Super Mario 64. Nothing comes close to the first time you pushed the analogue controller and saw Mario react as if he was an extension of your body. It was then I knew I had to have a N64, and while it's a little sad that the heights were never reached again. Fantastic level design and a truly revolutionary control system ensure a special place for Mario's 3D adventure. Expand
  35. ZackC.
    Mar 29, 2007
    Even after all these years and even though it is on the N64 console, it could still be the greatest game of all time.
  36. JordanC
    Dec 24, 2009
    Epic game. As if that didn't say enough, god I wish i still had an n64.
  37. WhyNot?
    Feb 27, 2009
    Look. SM64 is NOT the best video game ever. That said, it's no lower than third on my list. The graphics are amazing for a game made over a decade ago (is it really from 1996?!), and the controls are excellent. The level design is nothing short of a masterpiece. My only gripe is that the camera angles could be a tiny bit better. Still, after 12 years, Super Mario 64 still looks amazing.
  38. Hylian
    Nov 23, 2005
    When i first got this game to my home, i had preordered N64 from US, loved my snes of course. At that time , there was only few 3d accelerated games around with bilinear on pc (quake and vf1). So you can pretty much quess how amazed i was when i plugged the new Mario 64 in. Everything was so beutiful, it was the most amazing game, and remember i started in the atari/vectex age. Still to When i first got this game to my home, i had preordered N64 from US, loved my snes of course. At that time , there was only few 3d accelerated games around with bilinear on pc (quake and vf1). So you can pretty much quess how amazed i was when i plugged the new Mario 64 in. Everything was so beutiful, it was the most amazing game, and remember i started in the atari/vectex age. Still to date i have been amazed by innovative games, and this is certainly one of the most amazing platforming experiences that you can have i just cheked it from speed demo archives and yes, it still takes its pace at the tops of platforming. Expand
  39. Jan 7, 2011
    wirh out a doubt the best platformer ever made even using the god awful N64 controller. the game doesnt have alot of enimies but it has some of the best level desighns in any platform game . the graphics where amazing the bosses alot of fun. the game isnt very long to beat but if you want to get 120 stars it will take you some time . one of the very few platformer games i can still playwirh out a doubt the best platformer ever made even using the god awful N64 controller. the game doesnt have alot of enimies but it has some of the best level desighns in any platform game . the graphics where amazing the bosses alot of fun. the game isnt very long to beat but if you want to get 120 stars it will take you some time . one of the very few platformer games i can still play and beat many times. Expand
  40. Oct 17, 2012
    Forget the game being called "one of the best games ever made"; this is probably THE best game ever made. Super Mario 64 has aged so well it's almost surreal. Well Nintendo knows how to deliver the goods for their devoted fans.

I've kept playing this game ever since I was about five or something. It is still so much fun to play and enjoy. This is what video games should be, although I do forgive some FPSs/other shooters if they have strong stories and entertainment value.

In terms of pure fun and joy, Super Mario 64 is the best game ever made. Well done Nintendo for making the perfect game, and for letting Mario have Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 as the equally perfect sequels to this groundbreaking game.
  41. Jan 19, 2011
    A brilliant game, you could own just this game it was enough to keep you entertained for months and months. That is what it did for me. For a long time it was the only N64 game I owned. I loved it.
  42. Dec 31, 2010
    I think this game is the single best game I have for my N64. The graphics are actually pretty impressive for '96 and the gameplay is amazing. The different hats used in the game instead of flowers and mushrooms are really neat. Great game altogether.
  43. Feb 3, 2013
    Super Mario 64 is one of those games that you cannot stop playing until you have all 120 stars, and then, to be honest, never touch again. It was fun while playing, but it really doesn't give you a reason to come back. It is colorful, vast, and a great challenge of a platformer. One could tell easily that all the levels had much time and thought put into them. The controls are prettySuper Mario 64 is one of those games that you cannot stop playing until you have all 120 stars, and then, to be honest, never touch again. It was fun while playing, but it really doesn't give you a reason to come back. It is colorful, vast, and a great challenge of a platformer. One could tell easily that all the levels had much time and thought put into them. The controls are pretty tight, despite the control stick not being too precise. The music certainly sets the mood, and there are some great memories to be had with this game. There are some things I couldn't get over, however. In life, there is always going to be "that guy", and in Super Mario 64 there is always going to be "that star". Whether it be "Mario Wings Over the Rainbow" or the 100-coin stars in Small-Big Island, Tick Tock Clock, or especially, Rainbow Ride. The cryptic ones like Big Boo's Balcony or Watch for Rolling Rocks also suck. When playing, I always called the level Tick Tock Clock; "Tick-Me-Off Clock" due to its frustrating layout. The camera can sometimes get funky, but that wasn't even that bad when it did happen rarely. Furthermore, it is very overrated considering that impact is playing a higher role than gameplay. It was kind of funny to hear Yoshi incorrectly say, "It that really you???" Overall; nice, challenging, colorful platformer with a few wrinkles that should have been ironed. Expand
  44. Jan 11, 2011
    Be warned! getting this game will most likely make you dislike all the other mario games! This is by far the greatest mario game I have ever played. While the story is nothing new(go save peach from bowser ..), its more the gameplay and graphics(of the time 1996) that amazed me and many others. Its an amazing game and one of nintendo`s finest. You cant call yourself a mario fan unless youBe warned! getting this game will most likely make you dislike all the other mario games! This is by far the greatest mario game I have ever played. While the story is nothing new(go save peach from bowser ..), its more the gameplay and graphics(of the time 1996) that amazed me and many others. Its an amazing game and one of nintendo`s finest. You cant call yourself a mario fan unless you have played this amzing gem. Expand
  45. Dec 9, 2011
    Amazing game. Surpasses even the new 3D Mario games in my opinion. Super Mario 64's levels put you into a large, open area and you had to figure out what to do. The levels in the new Mario games just don't offer much deviation from what the developers intended. People are STILL figuring out how to do new things in Super Mario 64 today. The same won't be said about Galaxy and Galaxy 2 inAmazing game. Surpasses even the new 3D Mario games in my opinion. Super Mario 64's levels put you into a large, open area and you had to figure out what to do. The levels in the new Mario games just don't offer much deviation from what the developers intended. People are STILL figuring out how to do new things in Super Mario 64 today. The same won't be said about Galaxy and Galaxy 2 in 10 years. The one non-linear style 3D Mario game will probably always be the best to me, because I can't see them beating that with a linear style 3D Mario no matter how good it is. Expand
  46. Apr 22, 2011
    Alongside Ocarina Of Time, Super Mario 64 still stands tall as one of the best video games to date. Pros: Innovating gameplay, characters, and level designs; rich, colorful visuals; smooth controls and camera angles; overall, it's the best Mario game ever! Cons: Aside from some minimal flaws, you just have to be a Mario-hater to dislike any aspect of this game.
  47. Aug 14, 2011
    A great game with plenty of large, imaginative areas to explore. It is clear that love and attention have been poured into this game, moving a 2D franchise to a fully realized 3D world. Gameplay and enemies that are both new and old feel fresh and there are no superfluous additions. The only major issues that this game suffers from is the horrible camera and slippery controls. CameraA great game with plenty of large, imaginative areas to explore. It is clear that love and attention have been poured into this game, moving a 2D franchise to a fully realized 3D world. Gameplay and enemies that are both new and old feel fresh and there are no superfluous additions. The only major issues that this game suffers from is the horrible camera and slippery controls. Camera issues are inevitable in a 3D game that uses only one analog stick but understanding a problem doesn't make it any more bearable. The controls are a bit too loose for a platforming game and takes some getting used to. Expand
  48. Jul 14, 2011
    Fantastic, incredible graphics texture at the time, Super Mario 64 showed us, how powerful he can change the video game industry. Over the top plat-forming and memorable moments and characters define the game. If it was possible to buy old games in this year, this will be in my list, but because it isn't it will cost you an arm and a leg to get this classic.
  49. Nov 14, 2011
    Pretty Retro. I love this game so much. Super Mario 64 has lots of mixed levels like ice, and inside castles and such. A great game to give to your kids. Mario is beast.
  50. May 26, 2011
    My favorite game of all time, Mario is at his prime here. Not only did this introduced Mario to polygons, but it kicked off a 3D revolution. The unique punch-and-kick gameplay was like nothing anybody had ever seen. The music is great, the story is great, the quantity of levels and challenge is great. Imma let you finish, Ocarina of Time, but Super Mario 64 is the best game of all time, OFMy favorite game of all time, Mario is at his prime here. Not only did this introduced Mario to polygons, but it kicked off a 3D revolution. The unique punch-and-kick gameplay was like nothing anybody had ever seen. The music is great, the story is great, the quantity of levels and challenge is great. Imma let you finish, Ocarina of Time, but Super Mario 64 is the best game of all time, OF ALL TIME! Expand
  51. Jun 7, 2011
    This was the first Game ive EVER IN MY LIFE PLAYED!(im 12)I still have the cartridge that i played when i was 5 years old..Now I have DS..AND the original so yeah.. This game is SUPER IMPORTANT to me and I still love it to this day!
  52. Feb 28, 2013
    Was my first game on N64 and it is indeed a great 3D Jump ´n Run. Mario was at his peak when this game was released with perfect controls and a great world to explore.
  53. Jun 12, 2011
    i love this game. and what pisses me off is when people say that it is to hard. yes, it is very hard. but if you really want to say that then the only game that i can see you playing is that **** stain of **** known as.... (pause for ****ty anticipation)... CALL OF DUTY. i wont review it again, because i already reviewed it. and i will now review this game.
    This game revolves around
    This game revolves around princess Peach (slut) inviting Mario over for "cake" (which me, and some friends translated into sex.) but Bowser is up to his old tricks again, and kidnaps princess peach. blah blah blah... no story... and then after what has been literally years, you have enough stars to kill bowser. only to have him return again and again. the game had amazing controls, and has some really good colors going on that are apealing to the eye. this game is awesome.
  54. Jun 18, 2011
    Almost 15 years since it's release and I can still pick it up, play it and have just as much fun as I used to when I was younger. To this day I still recommend buying it and playing it on the Wii.
  55. Jul 21, 2011
    definatly one of my favorite games of all time . im only 12 but i have an n64 and i love all classic like this one at the time this was never done and not only accomplished 3d capabilities but also used them perfictly a great game storyline was ok but itsm not bad it just follows the tradition of the 8 bit classics to still renmind us no matter how far ahead w are in video game techn ologydefinatly one of my favorite games of all time . im only 12 but i have an n64 and i love all classic like this one at the time this was never done and not only accomplished 3d capabilities but also used them perfictly a great game storyline was ok but itsm not bad it just follows the tradition of the 8 bit classics to still renmind us no matter how far ahead w are in video game techn ology it all started with simpe games just like modern games they all start simply with an idea and cool efatures Expand
  56. Oct 3, 2011
    Re-Playability Value: 8
    Fun Factor: 8

Score: 8.0/10
  57. Jun 4, 2013
    Now Mario is different, obviously the plot is mostly the same as the last games, but what makes this game so special? THE NEW 3D, so fun, so weird, and you can't stop playing it, well just take a breathe, the platforms are different in each 'picture', not the same, and has many puzzles that, sometimes are very stressing or tire, but are ingenious.
  58. Oct 23, 2011
    seriously sparriskwathever you are a total moron your review is senseless
    this game is the **** totally revolutionary ridiculosly fun... tightest controls ever... very solid smooth graphics for 1996 camera fails sometimes too easy at times
    apart from that perfect game
  59. Nov 11, 2011
    Super Mario 64 is the game that brought platforming into a 3D world. Without it, we would not see other 3D platforming franchises like Banjo-Kazooie, Ratchet and Clank and other platforming mascots existing today. Super Mario 64 is an outstanding game that takes all the levels in one location (Princess Peaches castle) and make collecting star pieces playable and fun. I would had givenSuper Mario 64 is the game that brought platforming into a 3D world. Without it, we would not see other 3D platforming franchises like Banjo-Kazooie, Ratchet and Clank and other platforming mascots existing today. Super Mario 64 is an outstanding game that takes all the levels in one location (Princess Peaches castle) and make collecting star pieces playable and fun. I would had given Super Mario 64 a perfect 10 if I was 9 years old again, but I have given the game a bit of a lower score just because some of the controls on the N64 controls (like flying with the wing cap) feels a bit uncomfortable which does not hold up in today's gaming world. Super Mario 64 may look simple, but less equals more with this Super Mario title. Fans of Mario and 3D platformers will have a fun time playing Mario in a 3D universe. Even if it looks outdated in today's world, people will still enjoy riding on Koopa shells and flinging Bowser around. Expand
  60. Oct 27, 2011
    This game was way to much good stuff to talk about so I can only say that without this game there would be no such thing as "good gaming" there is something wrong with the people who didn't like this game.
  61. Nov 7, 2011
    A phenomenal game for its time. Mario's 1st 3D game is extremely fun, while admittedly harder compared to later 3D mario games. It is one of the best games for the Nintendo 64.
  62. Feb 22, 2015
    Game: Super Mario 64
    Genre: Platformer Adventure
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo 64 (N64) Total Score: 90/100 Value Score: 9/10 • Story: 7/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 9/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Fantastic course design +Courses change depending on when you enter them and
    Game: Super Mario 64
    Genre: Platformer Adventure
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo 64 (N64)
    Total Score: 90/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 8/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Fantastic course design
    +Courses change depending on when you enter them and which Star you are going for
    +Gameplay mechanics give Mario more freedom than previous games
    +Gameplay Style changed from side scroller platformer from start to end towards collectathon on a open world environment.
    +Voiceovers for the first time in the series
    +Health style life bar gives players more chance of taking risks instead of being limited to one or two hits
    +Power ups are available but vary completely different from previous games such as the inclusion of Metal Mario, Invisible Mario and Winged Cap Mario
    +Fantastic Musical Score
    +A lot of replayability and lengthy single player mode to collect all of the power stars.

Cons
    -Certain invisible walls which may of been made in error or intentionally yet annoying that may end up costing you a life
    -Controls can be annoying thanks to the design of the N64 controller
  63. Mar 12, 2012
  64. Feb 12, 2012
    A landmark in video game history. This was the very first game i owned as a child when i got my n64 and holy crap i still have urges to go back and play through it. One of the best games on any platform ever hands down.
  65. Dec 30, 2012
    Being one of the first truly 3D games, Super Mario 64 is undeniably the most revolutionary game of all time. Not only that, but it is a very fun game.
  66. Jun 6, 2012
    Classic game with an easy concept and the game is done perfectly this is the first Mario title that is in 3d and its also one of the best Mario games you have to restore power to Peach's castle by collecting 120 power stars to free peach and save the castle from Bowser's wrath the gameplay is fun and what you'd expect from a mario game the graphics are really great for the time also theClassic game with an easy concept and the game is done perfectly this is the first Mario title that is in 3d and its also one of the best Mario games you have to restore power to Peach's castle by collecting 120 power stars to free peach and save the castle from Bowser's wrath the gameplay is fun and what you'd expect from a mario game the graphics are really great for the time also the problem is in this game is the camera view and jumping because the camera view can mess up your jumps to where you kill yourself constantly so when you play you have to adjust it just right but this is a classic game and a must buy if you have a nintendo 64 Expand
  67. Dec 9, 2012
    Mario had a lot of good games back in the late '80s and early '90s, the most notable ones being Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island (yes, I consider it a Mario game). This game dropped on the N64 and made me momentarily forget about all I had done in the earlier games, mainly because I was burying my face into the TV screen, lost in a new 3D Mushroom Kingdom. ItMario had a lot of good games back in the late '80s and early '90s, the most notable ones being Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island (yes, I consider it a Mario game). This game dropped on the N64 and made me momentarily forget about all I had done in the earlier games, mainly because I was burying my face into the TV screen, lost in a new 3D Mushroom Kingdom. It seemed so lifelike back then, and it's still really fun today. This is definitely one of the few N64 games that has stood the test of time. Expand
  68. Nov 18, 2014
    This is the greatest game of all time. Two decades later, it is still being played by speedrunners daily. It's an example of a perfect game, utilizing the best graphics available at the time coupled with amazing physics. It defined the genre of 3D platforming in an open world setting with secrets to uncover and objectives to be completed. The praises of this game cannot be understated.This is the greatest game of all time. Two decades later, it is still being played by speedrunners daily. It's an example of a perfect game, utilizing the best graphics available at the time coupled with amazing physics. It defined the genre of 3D platforming in an open world setting with secrets to uncover and objectives to be completed. The praises of this game cannot be understated. Odds are, if a platforming game has a certain element in it, it came from SM64. Expand
  69. Jun 29, 2012
    Aw. This game is my childhood memories in a cartridge. Those who have played it can speak for themselves. Those who haven't are probably spoiled by Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. (good games). Mario 64 is a classic. It's a bit out dated and clunky compared to newer installments, but it still holds its own. Its everything you love about 2D Mario, but all done in 3D this time. And done well.
  70. May 29, 2012
    Pretty interesting game, the first 3D platform and probably the best. Beautiful and hard game, it helped to transform Mario into a legend. Sometimes can be very frustrating, but that's part of its charm as long as you have enough patience.
  71. May 27, 2012
    Another true classic. This game was revolutionary and is a masterpiece. This game will never get old. The music is charming and the game is just a blast to play!
  72. Jan 18, 2013
    best console all time N64, one of the best games all time! SM64 is brillant in so many ways. Levels, story, gameplay, fun factor, controls, sounds. This is how a real Mario game is suppose to be.
  73. Aug 6, 2012
    As one of the debut games of the N64, Mario 64 was a solid game with plenty to do. There are many many levels, each with their own theme and trove of secrets to explore. Naturally it's the same story as always, but if you're expecting story out of a Mario game, then you should probably wait for pigs to fly. The one thing I always hated about this game is that the camera angles are awfulAs one of the debut games of the N64, Mario 64 was a solid game with plenty to do. There are many many levels, each with their own theme and trove of secrets to explore. Naturally it's the same story as always, but if you're expecting story out of a Mario game, then you should probably wait for pigs to fly. The one thing I always hated about this game is that the camera angles are awful and often very annoying, but for the first 3D Mario, it did a lot right, and I'm willing to overlook this issue. Oh and it has some of the most memorable and enjoyable music from any legacy game, so do yourself a favor and give it a try, eh? Expand
  74. Jul 30, 2012
    It has good and creative worlds,and it has a very good difficulty.The con is that when you do not have another levels to pass after you can't pass a level it comes bored.
  75. Aug 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Have you ever played a game that is so darn fun that you can't put it down, even if you 100% complete all save files? This is that game. If I was forced to pick one flaw it would be the storyline, which is barely flawed anyway! You play as Mario, the famous plumber, rendered for the first time in history in polygons. Sure, the storyline is the same old "Bowser captures princess, Mario duffs up Bowser, everyone lives happily ever after" shtick, but this entry throws in paintings and Power Stars into the mix. Bowser owns dimensions contained in paintings that are a danger to Mario, hindering him on his quest. in the paintings you will find the humorously named Power Stars. Power Stars are like keys to doors, because essentially the more Power Stars you have, the more doors you can enter, and entering doors allows you to quest for more Powers Stars. It's a vicious cycle, but you want to get sucked in. Which other video game rewards you with a giant's step towards 100% completion for collecting 100 gold coins? On the topic of coins, a gold coin (canonically named a yellow coin) is worth one buck, a red one two, and blue a whopping five. Collecting eight red coins in a single course rewards you with a-you guessed it-Power Star. The game's graphics were amazing in its time, and to some still are. We're talking about one of the first games to use mainly polygons here. One of the first games to use polygons, and maybe the best. The sound is epic, with a range of tunes going from genuinely day-improving to genuinely scary. Even when you've got all 120 Power Stars (and shed a tear or sixteen), there's still fun to be had. In the Princess' castle grounds, there is a cannon only activated when you have 120 stars that will blast you to the castle roof where you'll find (spoiler) old comrade Yoshi, who will give you 100 lives and an improved triple jump power! (spoiler end) And on the Internet you may encounter sites that gives suggestions of activities to do in the game that are meant to be done after 100% completion! So, even after beating the final boss and collecting all 120 Power Stars, there's still much fun to be had.
    One of the best games ever.
  76. Aug 16, 2012
    No game collection is complete without Super Mario 64, one of the defining games of the entire genre and a benchmark for all future game. Super Mario 64 was done right, especially considering the fact that the N64 had very limited memory, this game was pretty big and impressive.
  77. Sep 2, 2012
    One of the best 3D platformers that have ever existed. Super Mario 64 stays true to the Mario series by giving you the usual objective of rescuing Princess Toadstool/Peach. But, this game, is very unique compared to other Mario games. First released in 1996, it was immediately a huge success! And It's no wonder. As it includes, 15 amazing levels with 120 different objectives to collect allOne of the best 3D platformers that have ever existed. Super Mario 64 stays true to the Mario series by giving you the usual objective of rescuing Princess Toadstool/Peach. But, this game, is very unique compared to other Mario games. First released in 1996, it was immediately a huge success! And It's no wonder. As it includes, 15 amazing levels with 120 different objectives to collect all 120 "Power Stars" and defeat Bowser. The 3D graphics are wonderful (Even compared to games of our Era, it still presents wonderful, colorful graphics.) Amazing, addicting gameplay keeps you at it for hours and hours. Days and days. Weeks and weeks. And that's a very nice thing about the game. If you're one for wanting to collect ALL the stars in the game, it may take weeks to finish. The game is still a gem even after all these years. It receives a very high 9 from me. Expand
  78. Feb 20, 2013
    Once again, Mario revolutionizes the video game industry, creating some of the best 3d graphics ever seen, and revolutionizing the market with one of, if not the, first free control camera. doesnt seem like a big deal now, 3d games are almost unplayable without a free camera, but back then, this was a huge deal. With 120 power stars to collect, great challege, awesome and varied levelOnce again, Mario revolutionizes the video game industry, creating some of the best 3d graphics ever seen, and revolutionizing the market with one of, if not the, first free control camera. doesnt seem like a big deal now, 3d games are almost unplayable without a free camera, but back then, this was a huge deal. With 120 power stars to collect, great challege, awesome and varied level design, great music, revolutionary game mechanics and controls, fun gameplay, and a huge adventure to go through, this is one of the greatest games of all time. back in the day, this game is an easy 10 out of 10, though i must say now that it hasnt aged all that well. i would still call it an 8 or 9 out of 10, but thinking back to the day this game was released, over 16 years ago, it still holds up. an incredibly fun adventure, and one of the best 3d platformers ever made. though games like banjo kazooie/tooie, and donkey kong 64 would eventually master this formula, Super mario 64 still holds up, and is one of the greatest games ever created. borderline perfect. Expand
  79. Jan 23, 2013
    When it comes to 3D platforming, this game set the standard. That being said it has been topped by newer platforming games. The levels are the typical themes you'd expect from a Nintendo game, and while two of the themes are repeated, they are set up different enough to offer completely different challenges. The boss fights are epic, and too this day I struggle to fight Bowser in theWhen it comes to 3D platforming, this game set the standard. That being said it has been topped by newer platforming games. The levels are the typical themes you'd expect from a Nintendo game, and while two of the themes are repeated, they are set up different enough to offer completely different challenges. The boss fights are epic, and too this day I struggle to fight Bowser in the final battle. The mini bosses are well done and the little enemies are easy like in any other Mario title.

The Music is classic and the camera was never a problem to me. There is a reason fans have taken this game and made direct sequels. The game has a simple and fun formula. The worlds are fun to explore and all 120 stars have numerous ways to be obtained.
  80. Sep 5, 2012
    I will always remember where I was when I first saw Mario 64 a few days after it came out. It was one of the most amazing sites I'd ever seen. I had to wait months to get it myself for Christmas, but it was well worth the wait! Mario 64 was the most innovative video game at its' birth, bringing gamers into a magical 3D world. The graphics at the time were the best we'd ever seen and evenI will always remember where I was when I first saw Mario 64 a few days after it came out. It was one of the most amazing sites I'd ever seen. I had to wait months to get it myself for Christmas, but it was well worth the wait! Mario 64 was the most innovative video game at its' birth, bringing gamers into a magical 3D world. The graphics at the time were the best we'd ever seen and even makes for a fun adventure to this day. Every aspect of this game is perfect for what it is, a Mario game. No matter which painting you take the leep into, the world is amazing, filled with awesome puzzles, and challenges you to the core. Collecting all 120 stars was a REAL feat and rewarding as well. This game brings back memories of a time when life was so much simpler. Expand
  81. Oct 21, 2012
    Similar to Ocarina of Time, this is a game that hasn't aged as well as people claim that it has. The level design holds up compared to other N64 titles and the gameplay, while not as precise as others, is still pretty fun. While this game does hold up as a good game, I don't think it holds up as one of the greatest. 8.0
  82. Feb 8, 2013
    Mario 64 is on of the greatest games ever made, if not the best 3D platformer ever made. This game is absolutely flawless, with its amazing level designs or its fantastic enemies, (Who can ever forget that piano.) This game is a must buy for any gamer seeking a challenge or just a fantastic experience.

10/10 Flawless Victory.
  83. Jun 27, 2013
    Super Mario 64 might just be the best 3D platformer around. Every level is interesting, full of secrets and stars to collect. The controls are near perfect. The music is amazing.

Yet the most stunning things about this game is that it's for the N64. Had a game like this been released today with better graphics, it would be considered amazing. And yet this game was released over 10 years ago. This speaks volumes as to why this game is a masterpiece. If you haven't experienced Super Mario 64, you haven't experienced what gaming is all about.
  84. Mar 3, 2013
    I thought I might be biased by nostalgia, but I went back to play this game (for the probably the 10th time) and still loved it. It really makes one feel how gimmicky the motion controls are in this serie. Im not a hater against MC, it fits perfect in games like Pikmin.

The levels are great with much space to move, unlike the galaxy series. This is the ultimate 3d Mario in my eyes.
  85. Jul 20, 2013
    This game is a blast to play. It's hard these days to see games so much adventure than SM64. In retrospect, the game did'nt age as well as many other platformers at the time (mainly Banjo-Kazooie), but overall it's a part of gaming history, and should be played at least once in your life.
  86. Mar 3, 2013
    The perfect Mario. The controls, the environments, the "open world levels", the castle with its secrets... I could go on!

Id buy an HD remake in an instance!
  87. Jan 5, 2014
    Probably the best video game ever made, with unforgettable levels and musics. If you talk about 3D video games, this one is a must-have. It redefined the platform standards and perfectly launched the N64 back in 1996. If you don't have it, or if you never played it (I hope you did), then buy it, or emulate it if you want, but do something quick, this really is a fantastic masterpiece.
  88. May 1, 2013
    Super Mario 64 has reshaped the 3D platforming genre in video games, along with precise gameplay (except the camera controls). There are barely any story elements involved, but that is not the point of this game. It has a variety of level design and power abilities that the player has in his/her disposal that are useful and FUN in missions, which is a plus. Each objective require differentSuper Mario 64 has reshaped the 3D platforming genre in video games, along with precise gameplay (except the camera controls). There are barely any story elements involved, but that is not the point of this game. It has a variety of level design and power abilities that the player has in his/her disposal that are useful and FUN in missions, which is a plus. Each objective require different skills to complete. The soundtrack is spectacular and each score fits in every aspect, whether in a castle, a sunken ship, or a boss battle. The puzzles are creative and in some cases time consuming, yet rewarding. Sure, there are some glitches around, but it does not effect the progression of the game. The enemies' AI is fair, not easy nor difficult. It has an intermediate amount of gameplay due to the amount of objectives (20+ hours). This game is a prime example of 3D platforming that inspired later games of the same genre. Super Mario 64 needs to be played whether for fun or for use in video game studies. Expand
  89. Apr 10, 2013
    el juego que invento y perfecciono a la vez el genero de plataformas en 3d, una verdadera obra maestra de diseño, concepto y ejecucion. El mejor juego de lanzamiento de las consolas de nintendo y un clasico de todos los tiempos. Necesito decir algo mas?
  90. Apr 24, 2013
    this game came from a time when games where challenging, and you had to figure stuff out by yourself. It is one of the best games for the N64, but the camera can get annoying
  91. May 18, 2013
    This game made my childhood, this game is the reason why I am still playing games, I am saying this is because of the fact that this is one of the reasons why there are Mario games still being created, probably for the main reason being that they nailed the 3D platform for it's time, and is a true inspiration to many people around the world.
  92. Dec 15, 2014
    Fue el primer juego de Mario que realmente jugué (sin contar juegos en emuladores) y lo amo, cada nivel es único, los retos son demasiados y la historia te obliga a terminarlo quieras o no... Así debería ser un juego, y para lo que fue en su época, es posiblemente el mejor de su era pues hoy es un estándar irrevocable y sin duda es el mas memorable que ofrece la industria.
  93. Jul 13, 2013
    This is still one of my favorite Mario Games. I think it has aged very well and it is still fun to play even after finding all 120 stars. The graphics still hold up well and there is so much to do in the game that it is still fun to play even after all the stars are found. For good reason Mario64 will be forever considered a classic platform game.
  94. Nov 27, 2013
    This is the first game i ever played. And the best. The visuals are awesome, The control is precise and the gameplay is just fun. There is a lot of worlds and they all feel unique. Best game ever.
  95. Sep 16, 2013
    This is hands down one of the best games in history. Graphics and gameplay are classic the story is great all of it just incredible! If you have a N64 and dont own mario 64 you are missing out. I wish luigi was in there.
  96. Aug 6, 2013
    Easily one of the best games ever made. The level design is ingenious, the stars are fun to collect, and it has that classical Nintendo charm. I recommend this as a must have for any Nintendo or classic game fan. You will not be disappointed.
  97. Sep 12, 2013
    This is one of the best Mario games I ever played. This is why I still prefer the N64 out of any video game console out there, better luck next time Playstation 1. Score: 4/5.
  98. Sep 19, 2013
    This game will always be known as one, if not THE best platformer of all time. Each level is amazing, with amazing music to go along with them. To this day, Super Mario 64 holds up very well. Though this game is not perfect (camera becomes an issue quite a few times), this game is one that will always be known as an all time great.
  99. Nov 3, 2013
    One of the best games of all time. All true gamers should play this game, if they already didn't. Controls are easy to learn and comfortable. Music feels free and many tunes are really catchy. I've got all stars trice already. The only bad thing I see about this game is the fact that levels feel a bit "empty". It's still worth buying because it's simply a funny to play and entertainingOne of the best games of all time. All true gamers should play this game, if they already didn't. Controls are easy to learn and comfortable. Music feels free and many tunes are really catchy. I've got all stars trice already. The only bad thing I see about this game is the fact that levels feel a bit "empty". It's still worth buying because it's simply a funny to play and entertaining classic game. Expand
  100. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 1
    + Obviously a genre-defining classic
    + Displays a crazy amount of innovation and diversity in the unique 3D platforming gameplay and mechanics available + Offers a compelling world full of delightful and surreal visual themes and aesthetics + Allows the player some freedom in their progression through the gameplay ? Particularly steep skill curve later in the game could
    Tier 1
    + Obviously a genre-defining classic
    + Allows the player some freedom in their progression through the gameplay
    ? Particularly steep skill curve later in the game could frustrate some
    ? Very involved completionist requirements with some challenges that could feel tedious (such as 100 coin stars)

#1 Most Discussed N64 Game of 1996
#1 Most Shared N64 Game of 1996

1. The distribution of power stars in the levels is horrendous. I think 7 stars in one level is more than enough, don't you think? I understand that there are memory constraints, but there either could have been less stars overall, or 1 (maybe 2) more level(s). Definately a problem.
  2. It has quickly grown to become the standard by which almost all other games are measured.
  3. This is definitely a game no game collection should be without...Seriously!