Super Mario 64 Nintendo 64

9.2

1. Oct 21, 2012
    Similar to Ocarina of Time, this is a game that hasn't aged as well as people claim that it has. The level design holds up compared to other N64 titles and the gameplay, while not as precise as others, is still pretty fun. While this game does hold up as a good game, I don't think it holds up as one of the greatest. 8.0
  2. Jun 27, 2013
    Super Mario 64 might just be the best 3D platformer around. Every level is interesting, full of secrets and stars to collect. The controls are near perfect. The music is amazing.

Yet the most stunning things about this game is that it's for the N64. Had a game like this been released today with better graphics, it would be considered amazing. And yet this game was released over 10 years ago. This speaks volumes as to why this game is a masterpiece. If you haven't experienced Super Mario 64, you haven't experienced what gaming is all about.
  3. Mar 3, 2013
    I thought I might be biased by nostalgia, but I went back to play this game (for the probably the 10th time) and still loved it. It really makes one feel how gimmicky the motion controls are in this serie. Im not a hater against MC, it fits perfect in games like Pikmin.

The levels are great with much space to move, unlike the galaxy series. This is the ultimate 3d Mario in my eyes.
  4. Jul 20, 2013
    This game is a blast to play. It's hard these days to see games so much adventure than SM64. In retrospect, the game did'nt age as well as many other platformers at the time (mainly Banjo-Kazooie), but overall it's a part of gaming history, and should be played at least once in your life.
  5. Jan 5, 2014
    Probably the best video game ever made, with unforgettable levels and musics. If you talk about 3D video games, this one is a must-have. It redefined the platform standards and perfectly launched the N64 back in 1996. If you don't have it, or if you never played it (I hope you did), then buy it, or emulate it if you want, but do something quick, this really is a fantastic masterpiece.
  6. Apr 10, 2013
    el juego que invento y perfecciono a la vez el genero de plataformas en 3d, una verdadera obra maestra de diseño, concepto y ejecucion. El mejor juego de lanzamiento de las consolas de nintendo y un clasico de todos los tiempos. Necesito decir algo mas?
  7. Apr 24, 2013
    this game came from a time when games where challenging, and you had to figure stuff out by yourself. It is one of the best games for the N64, but the camera can get annoying
  8. May 18, 2013
    This game made my childhood, this game is the reason why I am still playing games, I am saying this is because of the fact that this is one of the reasons why there are Mario games still being created, probably for the main reason being that they nailed the 3D platform for it's time, and is a true inspiration to many people around the world.
  9. Dec 15, 2014
    Fue el primer juego de Mario que realmente jugué (sin contar juegos en emuladores) y lo amo, cada nivel es único, los retos son demasiados y la historia te obliga a terminarlo quieras o no... Así debería ser un juego, y para lo que fue en su época, es posiblemente el mejor de su era pues hoy es un estándar irrevocable y sin duda es el mas memorable que ofrece la industria.
  10. Nov 27, 2013
    This is the first game i ever played. And the best. The visuals are awesome, The control is precise and the gameplay is just fun. There is a lot of worlds and they all feel unique. Best game ever.
  11. Sep 19, 2013
    This game will always be known as one, if not THE best platformer of all time. Each level is amazing, with amazing music to go along with them. To this day, Super Mario 64 holds up very well. Though this game is not perfect (camera becomes an issue quite a few times), this game is one that will always be known as an all time great.
  12. Nov 3, 2013
    One of the best games of all time. All true gamers should play this game, if they already didn't. Controls are easy to learn and comfortable. Music feels free and many tunes are really catchy. I've got all stars trice already. The only bad thing I see about this game is the fact that levels feel a bit "empty". It's still worth buying because it's simply a funny to play and entertainingOne of the best games of all time. All true gamers should play this game, if they already didn't. Controls are easy to learn and comfortable. Music feels free and many tunes are really catchy. I've got all stars trice already. The only bad thing I see about this game is the fact that levels feel a bit "empty". It's still worth buying because it's simply a funny to play and entertaining classic game. Expand
  13. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 1
    + Obviously a genre-defining classic
    + Displays a crazy amount of innovation and diversity in the unique 3D platforming gameplay and mechanics available + Offers a compelling world full of delightful and surreal visual themes and aesthetics + Allows the player some freedom in their progression through the gameplay ? Particularly steep skill curve later in the game could
    Tier 1
    + Obviously a genre-defining classic
    + Allows the player some freedom in their progression through the gameplay
    ? Particularly steep skill curve later in the game could frustrate some
    ? Very involved completionist requirements with some challenges that could feel tedious (such as 100 coin stars)
  14. Nov 21, 2013
    a great 3d platformer (tough EXTREMLEY overatated) worth a play honestly its poor in comparison to games like galaxy or 3d land/world it IS the first 3d mario game ever so for a first its pulled off great but there are 3 problems i have with it controls
  15. Dec 7, 2013
    I was never an "N64 kid," so I wasn't lucky enough to experience the plumber's first 3D adventure when it was unleashed upon the world in 1996. Because my vision isn't blurred by the lovely intoxicant that is nostalgia, I can see the game it for what it truly is, after all those years. And what it is, is hands down, one of the greatest video games of all time. While the graphics haveI was never an "N64 kid," so I wasn't lucky enough to experience the plumber's first 3D adventure when it was unleashed upon the world in 1996. Because my vision isn't blurred by the lovely intoxicant that is nostalgia, I can see the game it for what it truly is, after all those years. And what it is, is hands down, one of the greatest video games of all time. While the graphics have clearly aged poorly, the controls, gameplay, and music of Super Mario 64 are still worthy of the term greatness. However, the number one aspect of this game, above any other, is simply the fun you will have playing through it. And then playing through it again to get all 120 Stars. And another time just for fun. A must play, for all who game. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go play some Super Mario 64. Expand
  16. Dec 20, 2013
    It was great as a 3D Mario game, but the camera isn't just bad it's totally evil! The controls are also kinda shifty, the music starts eating away at your brains after about 1 minute, and it's REALLY glitchy.
  17. Jan 9, 2014
    The best 3D Platformer and overall just best platformers ever made. Super Mario 64 is a landmark is gaming and rightfully so. The gameplay is amazing, the soundtrack is one of the best in a video game, the level design is amazing, the atmosphere in the levels fit the levels perfectly, the bosses are memorable and is pretty challenging (especially those hidden stars). This is my 2ndThe best 3D Platformer and overall just best platformers ever made. Super Mario 64 is a landmark is gaming and rightfully so. The gameplay is amazing, the soundtrack is one of the best in a video game, the level design is amazing, the atmosphere in the levels fit the levels perfectly, the bosses are memorable and is pretty challenging (especially those hidden stars). This is my 2nd favorite game of all time behind Twilight Princess and is just one of the best games ever made and is in my opinion the best game that came out in the 90's. Super Mario 64 is a piece of history. Expand
  18. Jan 13, 2014
    this is considered the best game of all time because it has not grown old with time and it was glorious! sure, the difficulty was pretty cruel, but this game had all we Mario fans could ask for.
  19. Mar 9, 2014
    I love this game, solid controls, camera, and it looks great. While it is not as good as Banjo Kazooie, the creativity and effort is there, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to play a platformer. You could say the game is just an inspiration to others and that's why it's praised, but it's that way for a reason, picking what stars to get when, and creative design show this. It'sI love this game, solid controls, camera, and it looks great. While it is not as good as Banjo Kazooie, the creativity and effort is there, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to play a platformer. You could say the game is just an inspiration to others and that's why it's praised, but it's that way for a reason, picking what stars to get when, and creative design show this. It's only short coming is that some stars are a bit tedious to get. Expand
  20. Feb 8, 2014
    A truly great game with amazing aspects. It's quite a blast to play through fully, although the experience is a bit overrated by fans of the game back in the day.
  21. Jun 3, 2014
    Mario 64 is in my Eyes the best Platformer ever. It has a whole lot of easter-eggs and such. the controls feels responsive the gameplay fells good, the sountrack is godly. overall it has a couple of bugs but those bugs are only found because the game has been out for such a long time. this is normal with any game. it's not like you meet a bug on your first playtrough. that is highlyMario 64 is in my Eyes the best Platformer ever. It has a whole lot of easter-eggs and such. the controls feels responsive the gameplay fells good, the sountrack is godly. overall it has a couple of bugs but those bugs are only found because the game has been out for such a long time. this is normal with any game. it's not like you meet a bug on your first playtrough. that is highly unlikely. a masterpiece Expand
  22. Jan 15, 2017
    Best Nintendo game I have ever played. Open world exploration in the amazing locations this game provides is easily the highlight. It revolutionised gaming, and is still a lot of fun to this day. Glad to see Nintendo are going back to this game's style with Super Mario Odyssey on the Switch. Can't wait! Thank you Super Mario 64 for being so great and inspiring us all to this day!
  23. Mar 24, 2014
    Revolutionary. A classic. Look past the graphics. Sweet baby Jesus 64. Again, one of the most revolutionary video games of the forever. Thank you Nintendo, please have my baby Luigi.
  24. Apr 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I don't care for this game as much as some people I will admit that I have always enjoyed Mario's first 3D Platformer; Super Mario 64. I do have some nostalgia from this game even though I didn't grow up playing that many video games, I just remember playing this game at a friend's house and I very much enjoyed it. So I eventually got my own copy of the game on the Wii Virtual Console later on in my life and when I got a used N64, I got the original SM64 cart as well, and I still enjoy the game today. The gameplay is solid, there are many different levels with very fun stars to collect, one thing though is that it the level themes may get repetitive; for example early on in the game you will find the level Cool, Cool Mountain which is a snow themed level, but later on in the game you find Snowman's Land; while the levels had their differences, I kind of wished for more diversity in themes, but maybe I shouldn't criticize that since the game may have have some limitations in being made. The bosses are okay, however I do think the final boss against Bowser is cool. I also like Mario's new abilities like being able to kick and ground-pound. Overall Super Mario 64 is a classic; while I do like Sunshine and the Galaxy games better, every gamer should play this. Expand
  25. Mar 31, 2014
    At the the time it revolutionized the gaming industry. This was by far the most epic game of my generation. Super Mario 64 to this day is the best plat former I have ever played. The character is one of the greatest invented. Super Mario 64 will be a game that my children's children will play.
  26. Apr 11, 2014
    This is one of the few games that have set the standard for all games ever very possibly the best game ever in every aspect espiccally for the N64 its amazing how well this game was devoloped
  27. Nov 16, 2014
    Honestly, this single game basically sums up my childhood. Want a real reiew? Go play it yourself. Go ahead. I even cried when the credits started to roll. It took me a lot of years to complete, but hey, atleast it's better than nothing. Thank you, Nintendo and thank you Mario.
  28. Jun 2, 2014
    This game is very good I have it on my wii and it is pure awesomeness good graphics and technology thank you Nintendo for this great game thank you I give this a ten
  29. Jun 9, 2014
    Dayum this is a good game best mario game ever in my opnion, so many feels from this game memories with family playing it and friends as well especially all the memories from that on lvl were u must throw bowser onto the bombs :'( good ol days! Really fun game I recomend it to everyone even if it is 1996.
  30. Jun 30, 2014
    This game and everything about it brings back such happy memories for me. I remember being mesmerized by it as a kid. As always with Mario titles the level design was great and very varied, there was lots of cool things like the sliding missions to break up the usual platforming gameplay but above-all the music was probably the best of any Mario title I've ever played. Visually the gameThis game and everything about it brings back such happy memories for me. I remember being mesmerized by it as a kid. As always with Mario titles the level design was great and very varied, there was lots of cool things like the sliding missions to break up the usual platforming gameplay but above-all the music was probably the best of any Mario title I've ever played. Visually the game was bursting with colour and I remember it being very challenging. I can't wait to replay this one day. A definite classic. Expand

#1 Most Discussed N64 Game of 1996
#1 Most Shared N64 Game of 1996

1. The distribution of power stars in the levels is horrendous. I think 7 stars in one level is more than enough, don't you think? I understand that there are memory constraints, but there either could have been less stars overall, or 1 (maybe 2) more level(s). Definately a problem.
  2. It has quickly grown to become the standard by which almost all other games are measured.
  3. This is definitely a game no game collection should be without...Seriously!