Super Mario 64 Nintendo 64
9.2

1. Dec 9, 2012
    Mario had a lot of good games back in the late '80s and early '90s, the most notable ones being Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island (yes, I consider it a Mario game). This game dropped on the N64 and made me momentarily forget about all I had done in the earlier games, mainly because I was burying my face into the TV screen, lost in a new 3D Mushroom Kingdom. ItMario had a lot of good games back in the late '80s and early '90s, the most notable ones being Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island (yes, I consider it a Mario game). This game dropped on the N64 and made me momentarily forget about all I had done in the earlier games, mainly because I was burying my face into the TV screen, lost in a new 3D Mushroom Kingdom. It seemed so lifelike back then, and it's still really fun today. This is definitely one of the few N64 games that has stood the test of time. Expand
  2. Nov 18, 2014
    This is the greatest game of all time. Two decades later, it is still being played by speedrunners daily. It's an example of a perfect game, utilizing the best graphics available at the time coupled with amazing physics. It defined the genre of 3D platforming in an open world setting with secrets to uncover and objectives to be completed. The praises of this game cannot be understated.This is the greatest game of all time. Two decades later, it is still being played by speedrunners daily. It's an example of a perfect game, utilizing the best graphics available at the time coupled with amazing physics. It defined the genre of 3D platforming in an open world setting with secrets to uncover and objectives to be completed. The praises of this game cannot be understated. Odds are, if a platforming game has a certain element in it, it came from SM64. Expand
  3. Aug 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Have you ever played a game that is so darn fun that you can't put it down, even if you 100% complete all save files? This is that game. If I was forced to pick one flaw it would be the storyline, which is barely flawed anyway! You play as Mario, the famous plumber, rendered for the first time in history in polygons. Sure, the storyline is the same old "Bowser captures princess, Mario duffs up Bowser, everyone lives happily ever after" shtick, but this entry throws in paintings and Power Stars into the mix. Bowser owns dimensions contained in paintings that are a danger to Mario, hindering him on his quest. in the paintings you will find the humorously named Power Stars. Power Stars are like keys to doors, because essentially the more Power Stars you have, the more doors you can enter, and entering doors allows you to quest for more Powers Stars. It's a vicious cycle, but you want to get sucked in. Which other video game rewards you with a giant's step towards 100% completion for collecting 100 gold coins? On the topic of coins, a gold coin (canonically named a yellow coin) is worth one buck, a red one two, and blue a whopping five. Collecting eight red coins in a single course rewards you with a-you guessed it-Power Star. The game's graphics were amazing in its time, and to some still are. We're talking about one of the first games to use mainly polygons here. One of the first games to use polygons, and maybe the best. The sound is epic, with a range of tunes going from genuinely day-improving to genuinely scary. Even when you've got all 120 Power Stars (and shed a tear or sixteen), there's still fun to be had. In the Princess' castle grounds, there is a cannon only activated when you have 120 stars that will blast you to the castle roof where you'll find (spoiler) old comrade Yoshi, who will give you 100 lives and an improved triple jump power! (spoiler end) And on the Internet you may encounter sites that gives suggestions of activities to do in the game that are meant to be done after 100% completion! So, even after beating the final boss and collecting all 120 Power Stars, there's still much fun to be had.
    One of the best games ever.
  4. Feb 8, 2013
    Mario 64 is on of the greatest games ever made, if not the best 3D platformer ever made. This game is absolutely flawless, with its amazing level designs or its fantastic enemies, (Who can ever forget that piano.) This game is a must buy for any gamer seeking a challenge or just a fantastic experience.

10/10 Flawless Victory.
  5. Jul 13, 2013
    This is still one of my favorite Mario Games. I think it has aged very well and it is still fun to play even after finding all 120 stars. The graphics still hold up well and there is so much to do in the game that it is still fun to play even after all the stars are found. For good reason Mario64 will be forever considered a classic platform game.
  6. Sep 16, 2013
    This is hands down one of the best games in history. Graphics and gameplay are classic the story is great all of it just incredible! If you have a N64 and dont own mario 64 you are missing out. I wish luigi was in there.
  7. Aug 6, 2013
    Easily one of the best games ever made. The level design is ingenious, the stars are fun to collect, and it has that classical Nintendo charm. I recommend this as a must have for any Nintendo or classic game fan. You will not be disappointed.
  8. Sep 12, 2013
    This is one of the best Mario games I ever played. This is why I still prefer the N64 out of any video game console out there, better luck next time Playstation 1. Score: 4/5.
  9. Nov 11, 2014
    A great 3d platformer with a great mix of difficulty and fun times. Definitely a classic Mario game that everyone has to play during their lifetime. One of the best games of all time!
  10. Sep 2, 2012
    One of the best 3D platformers that have ever existed. Super Mario 64 stays true to the Mario series by giving you the usual objective of rescuing Princess Toadstool/Peach. But, this game, is very unique compared to other Mario games. First released in 1996, it was immediately a huge success! And It's no wonder. As it includes, 15 amazing levels with 120 different objectives to collect allOne of the best 3D platformers that have ever existed. Super Mario 64 stays true to the Mario series by giving you the usual objective of rescuing Princess Toadstool/Peach. But, this game, is very unique compared to other Mario games. First released in 1996, it was immediately a huge success! And It's no wonder. As it includes, 15 amazing levels with 120 different objectives to collect all 120 "Power Stars" and defeat Bowser. The 3D graphics are wonderful (Even compared to games of our Era, it still presents wonderful, colorful graphics.) Amazing, addicting gameplay keeps you at it for hours and hours. Days and days. Weeks and weeks. And that's a very nice thing about the game. If you're one for wanting to collect ALL the stars in the game, it may take weeks to finish. The game is still a gem even after all these years. It receives a very high 9 from me. Expand
  11. Mar 3, 2013
    The perfect Mario. The controls, the environments, the "open world levels", the castle with its secrets... I could go on!

Id buy an HD remake in an instance!
  12. Mar 12, 2012
    I was curious to see if the plumber could still hold his own against newer games like Half-Life 2. I played it for a while and realized that it is still the best dammned game I've ever played
  13. Apr 22, 2011
    Alongside Ocarina Of Time, Super Mario 64 still stands tall as one of the best video games to date. Pros: Innovating gameplay, characters, and level designs; rich, colorful visuals; smooth controls and camera angles; overall, it's the best Mario game ever! Cons: Aside from some minimal flaws, you just have to be a Mario-hater to dislike any aspect of this game.
  14. May 26, 2011
    My favorite game of all time, Mario is at his prime here. Not only did this introduced Mario to polygons, but it kicked off a 3D revolution. The unique punch-and-kick gameplay was like nothing anybody had ever seen. The music is great, the story is great, the quantity of levels and challenge is great. Imma let you finish, Ocarina of Time, but Super Mario 64 is the best game of all time, OFMy favorite game of all time, Mario is at his prime here. Not only did this introduced Mario to polygons, but it kicked off a 3D revolution. The unique punch-and-kick gameplay was like nothing anybody had ever seen. The music is great, the story is great, the quantity of levels and challenge is great. Imma let you finish, Ocarina of Time, but Super Mario 64 is the best game of all time, OF ALL TIME! Expand
  15. Jun 7, 2011
    This was the first Game ive EVER IN MY LIFE PLAYED!(im 12)I still have the cartridge that i played when i was 5 years old..Now I have DS..AND the original so yeah.. This game is SUPER IMPORTANT to me and I still love it to this day!
  16. Nov 11, 2011
    Super Mario 64 is the game that brought platforming into a 3D world. Without it, we would not see other 3D platforming franchises like Banjo-Kazooie, Ratchet and Clank and other platforming mascots existing today. Super Mario 64 is an outstanding game that takes all the levels in one location (Princess Peaches castle) and make collecting star pieces playable and fun. I would had givenSuper Mario 64 is the game that brought platforming into a 3D world. Without it, we would not see other 3D platforming franchises like Banjo-Kazooie, Ratchet and Clank and other platforming mascots existing today. Super Mario 64 is an outstanding game that takes all the levels in one location (Princess Peaches castle) and make collecting star pieces playable and fun. I would had given Super Mario 64 a perfect 10 if I was 9 years old again, but I have given the game a bit of a lower score just because some of the controls on the N64 controls (like flying with the wing cap) feels a bit uncomfortable which does not hold up in today's gaming world. Super Mario 64 may look simple, but less equals more with this Super Mario title. Fans of Mario and 3D platformers will have a fun time playing Mario in a 3D universe. Even if it looks outdated in today's world, people will still enjoy riding on Koopa shells and flinging Bowser around. Expand
  17. Nov 7, 2011
    A phenomenal game for its time. Mario's 1st 3D game is extremely fun, while admittedly harder compared to later 3D mario games. It is one of the best games for the Nintendo 64.
  18. Aug 24, 2013
    Mario has to save the princess yet again, but with a twist. In this ever expanding franchise during its prime, this has to be the most perfect Mario game and the best early built 3D platformer of its time. This game has colorful graphics, fun and catchy tunes, and a lovable icon throughout many video game fans.

This game tosses you in and offers you endless exploration and secrets. The

This game tosses you in and offers you endless exploration and secrets. The game offers you both simplicity and challenge, and it feels rewarding for your efforts.

19. May 24, 2014
    I know this game was revolutionary, but whenever I pick it up and play it- it always ends in frustration about one of the many things that this game hasn't aged well in. Some of these bad things are: that the camera is clunky, Mario cannot turn around without running in a circle, the music (while great) gets old very quickly, and also the fact that there are so many stars per level- I getI know this game was revolutionary, but whenever I pick it up and play it- it always ends in frustration about one of the many things that this game hasn't aged well in. Some of these bad things are: that the camera is clunky, Mario cannot turn around without running in a circle, the music (while great) gets old very quickly, and also the fact that there are so many stars per level- I get tired of going back to the same boring level over and over again to get stars. In conclusion, while the game was an 8.5/10 in 1996, now the game is extremely dated and frustrating because of it. Expand
  20. Sep 17, 2012
    sorry to say, but I loved Mario on NES and SNES, but this was an insult to the Mario series. Collecting stars? No thanks. I much rather the platforming get to the end of the level style.
  21. Feb 16, 2012
    The model quality is just plain horrible with some ps1 games looking better. It has clunky controls and a bad camera also it makes a really annoying sound when you move the camera. Most of the stars are tedious to get and they reuse the worlds(2 ice worlds for gods sake). If you want a good 3d platformer on the n64, go play banjo kazooie.
  22. Jun 26, 2012
    I'm sure we've all heard about Super Mario 64, one of the world's first 3D Platformers. The story is the usual unoriginal Mario storyline. Bowser has kidnapped Peach so go rescue her. The gameplay involves collecting items called Power Stars across 15 levels by completing different tasks. However, it is brought down by bad controls and a terrible camera which make the game more difficultI'm sure we've all heard about Super Mario 64, one of the world's first 3D Platformers. The story is the usual unoriginal Mario storyline. Bowser has kidnapped Peach so go rescue her. The gameplay involves collecting items called Power Stars across 15 levels by completing different tasks. However, it is brought down by bad controls and a terrible camera which make the game more difficult than it should be. The graphics are smooth and there is a decent amount of variety in level design. The music is mostly your generic happy platforming music although Bowser's Road and Dire Dire Docks are exceptions to this. Super Mario 64 suffers from some of the worst voice acting I have ever heard in my life. The worst part? The worst voice acting in the whole game is the first thing you hear when starting the game.

Overall, while Super Mario 64 was innovative and mindblowing when it was released in May 1996, it aged very quickly and time has not been kind to it at all, making what was once amazing back then, a bad game now.
  23. Jan 7, 2011
    wirh out a doubt the best platformer ever made even using the god awful N64 controller. the game doesnt have alot of enimies but it has some of the best level desighns in any platform game . the graphics where amazing the bosses alot of fun. the game isnt very long to beat but if you want to get 120 stars it will take you some time . one of the very few platformer games i can still playwirh out a doubt the best platformer ever made even using the god awful N64 controller. the game doesnt have alot of enimies but it has some of the best level desighns in any platform game . the graphics where amazing the bosses alot of fun. the game isnt very long to beat but if you want to get 120 stars it will take you some time . one of the very few platformer games i can still play and beat many times. Expand
  24. Jan 19, 2011
    A brilliant game, you could own just this game it was enough to keep you entertained for months and months. That is what it did for me. For a long time it was the only N64 game I owned. I loved it.
  25. Dec 31, 2010
    I think this game is the single best game I have for my N64. The graphics are actually pretty impressive for '96 and the gameplay is amazing. The different hats used in the game instead of flowers and mushrooms are really neat. Great game altogether.
  26. Dec 1, 2010
    This is probably my favorite game followed closley by super Mario galaxy 2. It is mostly because I grew up with it but after I I beet it, all 120 stars, by myself, it's really still fun. It's also fun to replay through over and over again.
  27. Jan 11, 2011
    Be warned! getting this game will most likely make you dislike all the other mario games! This is by far the greatest mario game I have ever played. While the story is nothing new(go save peach from bowser ..), its more the gameplay and graphics(of the time 1996) that amazed me and many others. Its an amazing game and one of nintendo`s finest. You cant call yourself a mario fan unless youBe warned! getting this game will most likely make you dislike all the other mario games! This is by far the greatest mario game I have ever played. While the story is nothing new(go save peach from bowser ..), its more the gameplay and graphics(of the time 1996) that amazed me and many others. Its an amazing game and one of nintendo`s finest. You cant call yourself a mario fan unless you have played this amzing gem. Expand
  28. Dec 9, 2011
    Amazing game. Surpasses even the new 3D Mario games in my opinion. Super Mario 64's levels put you into a large, open area and you had to figure out what to do. The levels in the new Mario games just don't offer much deviation from what the developers intended. People are STILL figuring out how to do new things in Super Mario 64 today. The same won't be said about Galaxy and Galaxy 2 inAmazing game. Surpasses even the new 3D Mario games in my opinion. Super Mario 64's levels put you into a large, open area and you had to figure out what to do. The levels in the new Mario games just don't offer much deviation from what the developers intended. People are STILL figuring out how to do new things in Super Mario 64 today. The same won't be said about Galaxy and Galaxy 2 in 10 years. The one non-linear style 3D Mario game will probably always be the best to me, because I can't see them beating that with a linear style 3D Mario no matter how good it is. Expand
  29. Aug 14, 2011
    A great game with plenty of large, imaginative areas to explore. It is clear that love and attention have been poured into this game, moving a 2D franchise to a fully realized 3D world. Gameplay and enemies that are both new and old feel fresh and there are no superfluous additions. The only major issues that this game suffers from is the horrible camera and slippery controls. CameraA great game with plenty of large, imaginative areas to explore. It is clear that love and attention have been poured into this game, moving a 2D franchise to a fully realized 3D world. Gameplay and enemies that are both new and old feel fresh and there are no superfluous additions. The only major issues that this game suffers from is the horrible camera and slippery controls. Camera issues are inevitable in a 3D game that uses only one analog stick but understanding a problem doesn't make it any more bearable. The controls are a bit too loose for a platforming game and takes some getting used to. Expand
  30. Jul 14, 2011
    Fantastic, incredible graphics texture at the time, Super Mario 64 showed us, how powerful he can change the video game industry. Over the top plat-forming and memorable moments and characters define the game. If it was possible to buy old games in this year, this will be in my list, but because it isn't it will cost you an arm and a leg to get this classic.

1. The distribution of power stars in the levels is horrendous. I think 7 stars in one level is more than enough, don't you think? I understand that there are memory constraints, but there either could have been less stars overall, or 1 (maybe 2) more level(s). Definately a problem.
  2. It has quickly grown to become the standard by which almost all other games are measured.
  3. This is definitely a game no game collection should be without...Seriously!