Super Mario 64 Nintendo 64

9.2

1. Yaners
    Aug 5, 2002
    This was my first nintendo game (i got it when i was six) it is still one of my favorite games. I still haven't got all 120 stars!!!
  2. Uter
    Sep 5, 2003
    It's one of the top 10 best games of all time. The levels are brilliant, and the puzzles are diverse and inventive. When you compare this to today's Mario Sunshine, there's really no contest. Mario 64 is a vastly superior game.
  3. GlenS.
    Feb 24, 2005
    The best game ever since when it came out till now feb 2005.the only game that is nearly as good is zeda ocarina of time.
  4. CharlieW.
    Jan 20, 2006
    Until recently, I hadn't played the game since 1999. In 2005 though, I bought an N64 on an impulse for twenty bucks along with a copy of Super Mario 64. I was curious to see if the plumber could still hold his own against newer games like Half-Life 2. I played it for a while and realized that it is still the best dammned game I've ever played. Better than anything that the Until recently, I hadn't played the game since 1999. In 2005 though, I bought an N64 on an impulse for twenty bucks along with a copy of Super Mario 64. I was curious to see if the plumber could still hold his own against newer games like Half-Life 2. I played it for a while and realized that it is still the best dammned game I've ever played. Better than anything that the current-gen systems can dish out, better than Halo, better than anything. It is the definitive platformer. The graphics are beautiful, the levels have incredible depth, and the sheer length of the game makes it an absolute classic. The replay value is relatively high. And it is hard to find all 120 of those stars. In fact, if you were devoted enough to getting a single star which has eluded you, it is possible to unwittingly spend up to an hour or more chasing that one star. The game has the ability to make one obsess over it. The only flaw this game has is the wacky camera. May Super Mario 64 live on forever, and may it never be forgotten. Expand
  5. RolandJ.
    Feb 5, 2006
    If you want to play the very best 3D platform game that has been made, play Mario 64. This is the flagship title for the console at the peak of console gaming. It is not just a superb game; it's a piece of history. If you want to know about videogames, you must play this game. Console gaming grew up around platformers and this is the only thing resembling a blueprint for platforming If you want to play the very best 3D platform game that has been made, play Mario 64. This is the flagship title for the console at the peak of console gaming. It is not just a superb game; it's a piece of history. If you want to know about videogames, you must play this game. Console gaming grew up around platformers and this is the only thing resembling a blueprint for platforming in the 3D era. You don't know where videogames have got to unless you play this. Expand
  6. Starfire
    Oct 23, 2007
    This is just as fun and mesmerising as the day it came out. Mixing the playful fantasy of Mario with immersive 3D graphics is a stunning combination. The DS version doesn't have the same playability. As others say, it may well still be the best game ever created- certainly the one with the most freedom of play.
  7. RobR.
    Sep 4, 2007
    Still very playable now, helped by the Wii Virtual Console, and a mesmerising game at on release.
  8. TitaniumDragon
    May 25, 2008
    The best 3D platformer I've ever played, and arguably ever. It does everything it should do, and is just tons of fun. You can't NOT enjoy this game; it is amazingly well put together, has a decent level of difficulty, and some amount of replay value. The gameplay is simply amazing, and everyone should play this game at least once.
  9. thisgameishotlol
    Apr 10, 2009
    don't listen to idiots like joe s who scored this lower than any of the critics. this game rules
  10. greatgameepicwin
    Apr 30, 2009
    omg.. the critic who only gave this game an 80 misspelled the word "definitely" in his review. omfg.
  11. AdamM
    Apr 5, 2009
    I remember being 12 and spending hours trying to get that star... I took out the Nintendo 64 this morning and relived my memories. Best game ever.
  12. DavidT.
    Feb 10, 2003
    This is one of the greatest games ever created. This game is still used as the standard from which all games are judged, and no game has yet to unseat it. This game is just fun, as well as long and challenging. Even though this game was released seven years ago, I still find myself playing it.
  13. KyleN.
    Nov 3, 2005
    Simply amazing. Best platformer of all time.
  14. JohnB.
    Jul 12, 2005
    This is my favorite game ever. It is better thatn bond, halo, and any other game that I've played. It has great graphics great game play and it is sweet.
  15. JoshuaL.
    Dec 30, 2006
    Probably the funnest game for N64,I dislike the N64 too but this game was so good, I used 1000 Wii points to buy it.
  16. MichaelF.
    Jun 30, 2006
    This game lacks at nothing and is the pure definition of 3-d mario. as classic as it is, this game is outstanding with its length, difficulty, and gameplay. While not boasting great graphics, the game's classic tunes should never be forgotton and its themes to be the base of many modern gaming themes. A recommendation, classic, and superior game indeed.
  17. DanielD.
    May 30, 2007
    Its a game.... that grows on you.... like you play the game when your 5 like me.... and play it on the DS. It doesnt feel the same. Its a game that you should pass it on your kids and see the great times you had when you were a kid..... (I'll never forget how great this game is. It gets a 10.)
  18. PaulM.
    Feb 19, 2008
    A truly unforgettable and original game .A wonderfully fun and enjoyable experience from start to finish.This is a remarkable achievement in games development that raised the bar to untouchable heights in the most picturesque, awe-inspiring and loveable way possible.A magicaly addictive and enchanting game that will remain the fondest gaming memory of my life .This game is without doubt A truly unforgettable and original game .A wonderfully fun and enjoyable experience from start to finish.This is a remarkable achievement in games development that raised the bar to untouchable heights in the most picturesque, awe-inspiring and loveable way possible.A magicaly addictive and enchanting game that will remain the fondest gaming memory of my life .This game is without doubt one of a kind.It plays like an immaculate dream that you will not want to wake up from.Beautiful, Colourful, Inviting, and always brilliant.Guaranteed to satisfy and exhilirate even the most intricate of imaginations.Eternally exciting, fun and enjoyable. THE BEST PLATFORM GAME OF ALL TIME. Expand
  19. ENOUGH!!
    Jan 11, 2009
    This was the first real game I had ever played in the fifth generation, so of course I liked it. I then played it again, twelve years later. What happened? Genius. Despite the passing of time, Super Mario 64 proves to us the reason why the Platformer was so popular in the 5th and 6th generations. Sadly, many of those games were cheap knockoffs that are NOTHING compared to the original This was the first real game I had ever played in the fifth generation, so of course I liked it. I then played it again, twelve years later. What happened? Genius. Despite the passing of time, Super Mario 64 proves to us the reason why the Platformer was so popular in the 5th and 6th generations. Sadly, many of those games were cheap knockoffs that are NOTHING compared to the original (Ratchet and Clarnk, The original Crash, and the original Spyro, obviously do not count; they are awesome.) Expand
  20. MikkelJ
    Mar 25, 2009
    this is the best game i ever have playede but my Nintendo 64 is broken and i can't buy a new one. i hope the game comes to a newer console (sorry for my bad english)
  21. joes
    Sep 26, 2009
    definitely THE best Mario game, followed closely by galaxy.
  22. Hellboy
    Dec 6, 2004
    One Of The Best Games Ever.
  23. AlexL.
    May 27, 2004
    It is the most revolutionary game,Miyomota did great and it's an instant classic. Gameplay is great and i love sunshine but this is still a lot better.This is my favorite game ever!!!!!
  24. JustinH.
    Oct 16, 2005
    No other game has yet to fill me with the same sense of wonder as Super Mario 64. Nothing comes close to the first time you pushed the analogue controller and saw Mario react as if he was an extension of your body. It was then I knew I had to have a N64, and while it's a little sad that the heights were never reached again. Fantastic level design and a truly revolutionary control No other game has yet to fill me with the same sense of wonder as Super Mario 64. Nothing comes close to the first time you pushed the analogue controller and saw Mario react as if he was an extension of your body. It was then I knew I had to have a N64, and while it's a little sad that the heights were never reached again. Fantastic level design and a truly revolutionary control system ensure a special place for Mario's 3D adventure. Expand
  25. ZackC.
    Mar 29, 2007
    Even after all these years and even though it is on the N64 console, it could still be the greatest game of all time.
  26. JordanC
    Dec 24, 2009
    Epic game. As if that didn't say enough, god I wish i still had an n64.
  27. WhyNot?
    Feb 27, 2009
    Look. SM64 is NOT the best video game ever. That said, it's no lower than third on my list. The graphics are amazing for a game made over a decade ago (is it really from 1996?!), and the controls are excellent. The level design is nothing short of a masterpiece. My only gripe is that the camera angles could be a tiny bit better. Still, after 12 years, Super Mario 64 still looks amazing.
  28. Hylian
    Nov 23, 2005
    When i first got this game to my home, i had preordered N64 from US, loved my snes of course. At that time , there was only few 3d accelerated games around with bilinear on pc (quake and vf1). So you can pretty much quess how amazed i was when i plugged the new Mario 64 in. Everything was so beutiful, it was the most amazing game, and remember i started in the atari/vectex age. Still to When i first got this game to my home, i had preordered N64 from US, loved my snes of course. At that time , there was only few 3d accelerated games around with bilinear on pc (quake and vf1). So you can pretty much quess how amazed i was when i plugged the new Mario 64 in. Everything was so beutiful, it was the most amazing game, and remember i started in the atari/vectex age. Still to date i have been amazed by innovative games, and this is certainly one of the most amazing platforming experiences that you can have i just cheked it from speed demo archives and yes, it still takes its pace at the tops of platforming. Expand
  29. Oct 17, 2012
    Forget the game being called "one of the best games ever made"; this is probably THE best game ever made. Super Mario 64 has aged so well it's almost surreal. Well Nintendo knows how to deliver the goods for their devoted fans.

I've kept playing this game ever since I was about five or something. It is still so much fun to play and enjoy. This is what video games should be, although I do forgive some FPSs/other shooters if they have strong stories and entertainment value.

In terms of pure fun and joy, Super Mario 64 is the best game ever made. Well done Nintendo for making the perfect game, and for letting Mario have Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 as the equally perfect sequels to this groundbreaking game.
  30. Dec 31, 2010
    I think this game is the single best game I have for my N64. The graphics are actually pretty impressive for '96 and the gameplay is amazing. The different hats used in the game instead of flowers and mushrooms are really neat. Great game altogether.

#1 Most Discussed N64 Game of 1996
#1 Most Shared N64 Game of 1996

1. The distribution of power stars in the levels is horrendous. I think 7 stars in one level is more than enough, don't you think? I understand that there are memory constraints, but there either could have been less stars overall, or 1 (maybe 2) more level(s). Definately a problem.
  2. It has quickly grown to become the standard by which almost all other games are measured.
  3. This is definitely a game no game collection should be without...Seriously!