8.9

1. May 26, 2011
    No, this game is not as superior as its sequels, but the quality action and amount of items keep things ship-shape. And who doesn't want to see Yoshi take revenge on Mario for all the times the plumber chucked him off a cliff?
  2. Dec 9, 2011
    I loved this game, I played it for countless hours. The campaign is a little boring though but it was worth it to unlock the new characters for the game. The multiplayer was where it was at though and it was countless fun to play with friends.
  3. Feb 11, 2012
    Boy, does this game bring back some good memories. It was one of my favorite N64 games to play. my only only complaint about it is the fact that single player mode is the same every time. But, that's, pretty much it for me. Plus, Ness is better in this version than he is in Melee or Brawl.
  4. Mar 21, 2012
    Smash Bros can be a blast to play. There are tons of game modes and the fighting gameplay has changed fighting games forever. However, I don't think the series really hits it's peak until its sequel, Super Smash Bros. Melee, was released.
  5. Nov 20, 2011
    Super Smash Bros. is a wonderful four-player party game with a low barrier for entry, but plenty of depth to separate players. It's frantic pace makes it easily enjoyable for competitive, reflex-based gameplay that holds up to this day. Unfortunately, the game's single-player experience doesn't entertain nearly as well, being far too short and quite easy.
  6. AxewhipeS.
    Jan 30, 2008
    One of the best N64 games. Great game you can play forever with friends or by yourself, This game started the Smash franchise that it is today & the original is great.
  7. RobertC.
    Mar 16, 2004
    The most addictive, exhilirating, unbelieveable, spectucular, flat-out funniest multiplayer game...ever.
  8. Caleb
    Apr 4, 2005
    This game is insanely addicting and is worth absolutely every time you accidentally go to the bathroom on yourself because you don't want to get up.
  9. BillyBob
    Jul 27, 2005
    Best game.
  10. RolandJ.
    Feb 5, 2006
    A beat-em-up with a genuinely original platforming play mechanic which works due to the variety of styles offered by the many characters. Rhythm and timing rule multiplayer bouts in a way that still hasn't been seen elsewhere since SF2. A finely-tuned experience that is still unrivalled after more than six years and is definitely far superior to the clumsy, stilted mish-mash of ideas A beat-em-up with a genuinely original platforming play mechanic which works due to the variety of styles offered by the many characters. Rhythm and timing rule multiplayer bouts in a way that still hasn't been seen elsewhere since SF2. A finely-tuned experience that is still unrivalled after more than six years and is definitely far superior to the clumsy, stilted mish-mash of ideas that was the briefly-enjoyable GC sequel. Don't pay any attention to the kids' posts saying otherwise! Expand
  11. KevinB.
    Jul 3, 2006
    Well I actually feel honored to rate this game. Super Smash Bros. was the 3rd N64 I bought and turned out to be my 2nd favorite N64 game. (cmon! nothing beats Zelda 64!) If you got some friends over, its a freaking free for all...or team battle...or whatever you fancy..the point is that there is something for everybody..even a training mode to practice so you can even MORE ass then the Well I actually feel honored to rate this game. Super Smash Bros. was the 3rd N64 I bought and turned out to be my 2nd favorite N64 game. (cmon! nothing beats Zelda 64!) If you got some friends over, its a freaking free for all...or team battle...or whatever you fancy..the point is that there is something for everybody..even a training mode to practice so you can even MORE ass then the last battle...you know? that battle? everyone has a least one where they get schooled. So go buy this for like...5 bucks and start kicking ass...TODAY! Expand
  12. SamK
    Feb 29, 2008
    you would have to be an idiot to give this game a bad review there's no denying that there's evident entertainment value.
  13. MattH.
    Feb 5, 2008
    I just saw that this game got a relatively low critic rating while looking for SSBB ratings. Unbelievable. I can't even estimate how many hours (days) I spent playing this game. The bad reviews stemmed from complaints about single player issues - it's not made to be a single player game. If you have at least one friend, this game is fantastic. I still have my N64 hooked up I just saw that this game got a relatively low critic rating while looking for SSBB ratings. Unbelievable. I can't even estimate how many hours (days) I spent playing this game. The bad reviews stemmed from complaints about single player issues - it's not made to be a single player game. If you have at least one friend, this game is fantastic. I still have my N64 hooked up specifically for SSB. Expand
  14. JamB.
    Nov 7, 2003
    Addictive, competitive, cool graphics, some wicked stages.
  15. PeterJ.
    Jul 12, 2003
    It's the best game I've ever played! It's tight!!
  16. Hooligan#3
    May 4, 2004
    WOOOOOOOOOO this game roxx.
  17. TilerB.
    Jun 4, 2004
    Comlpete Yoshification! This game rocks!
  18. LindolfB.
    Mar 19, 2006
    This game is a simply amazing fighter. It is many times better than games such as dead or Alive 3, and i put it on par with Tekkan5. If you have two or more n64 controllers, this game will provide years of entertainment. I still play this game in 2006 because it is just so much damn fun!
  19. ThomasR.
    May 18, 2010
    I can't believe a critic would give this game a 20. It's a fantastic game, and that stupid critic is bringing down its score significantly.
  20. DavidP.
    Nov 27, 2003
    It's cool.
  21. SpencerM.
    Aug 23, 2003
    I think this was the best 64 game there is. Even though 64 is an older system i think it has great graphics.
  22. D@NNYT.
    Apr 2, 2004
    GOOOOOOOOOD GAAAMMMMMEE!!!
  23. AdamO.
    May 27, 2004
    This game is the BOMB!
  24. Muggy_9?
    Jul 22, 2004
    pretty good game. worth buying.
  25. EricS.
    Jul 30, 2005
    A great game, but lacking and simplistic compared to Melee. A classic game has to be fun to play even after its sequel has been released.
  26. JonathanG.
    May 21, 2006
    This is probably my 2nd favorite game. This game is so freakn awesome. Even though I have the sequel I still love to invite my friend over on some Friday night and put it on 99 stock and only hammers on the igh setting. It can take a while but it is definitely worth it. This game still costs like $20 even now, but that's because it is so much damn fun. It is well worth what I paid This is probably my 2nd favorite game. This game is so freakn awesome. Even though I have the sequel I still love to invite my friend over on some Friday night and put it on 99 stock and only hammers on the igh setting. It can take a while but it is definitely worth it. This game still costs like $20 even now, but that's because it is so much damn fun. It is well worth what I paid for it. 2006 Expand
  27. EthanR.
    May 24, 2006
    Suprised I gave this game a ten? Well you shouldn't be, this game was the best nintendo game ever launched! Usually fighting games are punch, kick, punch then your dead, but this game was different. Gram a beam sword with dk the whack kirby with it, then get a hammer and go kick mario's butt. This game will be remembered for ever!
  28. NickC.
    Aug 21, 2006
    This game is definitely my favorite game of all time. It is easy to pick up, but difficult to master. And with the multiplayer mode, you can duke it out with friends four hours!
  29. BoBBoBBy
    Aug 7, 2006
    Best 4 player game yet played by me and my limited friends!
  30. BrawlroomXAT
    Jan 27, 2010
    One of the best games of its time and even today... It also has what the newer installments of the series and new games in general are lacking "ORIGINALITY". The low critics scores are laughable to any hardcore gamer who played this title back in the day.
  31. MattC.
    Nov 15, 2003
    This game is the BEST game i like Metal Mario the best but then Luigi i think this game is fun because you cane unlock characters and lots of more.
  32. WilliamW.
    Dec 11, 2003
    This game is the best I don't know why it wasn't rated in the 90's. It is all about sweet combat.
  33. Seth
    Apr 15, 2004
    My friends and I have two things: an N64 and Smash. You need nothing else in life to be happy.
  34. SpirosP.
    Feb 21, 2007
    Man, i'm a kid of Greece. With that game we used to play hours and hours wihout stopping and still do. It's just a great game and has more fun than melee.
  35. RobH.
    Jul 13, 2007
    Great party-style game. Maybe the professional reviewers didn't give it enough time to experience the full effect. My roomates and I played this game all the time and loved it.
  36. SolomonR.
    Aug 26, 2007
    It isn't a special game with special activations, cheats, or powerfull moves, becides the items. But its an easy game with fantastic characters that relate easily with other Nintendo games.
  37. PhildaSkill
    Feb 19, 2008
    One of the greatest multi-player fighting games of all time. The simplicity is beautiful while the mastery is difficult. Wherever I go I still find many communities playing this game.
  38. MaxG
    Mar 11, 2008
    While the single player mode is lacking, that is not why you purchase this game; it would be akin to criticizing Sonic the Hedgehog for having weak puzzles. The game is a party title, plain and simple, meant to be played with a room as packed as possible. And in that environment, the environment for which it was truly made, Smash Bros excels.
  39. Mar 10, 2011
    I own everyone at this game

L canceling, dodging, smashing

Best game ever, other than OoT on the n64 Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
    Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
    Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
  40. Jun 7, 2011
    This was a revolutionary game in its time. There had never been anything like it before and there honestly isn't a single game out there today that compares to the series despite several attempts to mimic it. It all started with this brilliant title. Electric Playground should be banished from both the gaming community and stripped of any recognition as a reliable game journalismThis was a revolutionary game in its time. There had never been anything like it before and there honestly isn't a single game out there today that compares to the series despite several attempts to mimic it. It all started with this brilliant title. Electric Playground should be banished from both the gaming community and stripped of any recognition as a reliable game journalism source. You can't even read the original review anymore because you get a 404 error. Honestly a 20? Bias and opinion is completely out of the window here...I've heard more reasonable opinions from ten year olds. Expand
  41. DavidS.
    Sep 7, 2006
    Most fun N64 game ever.
  42. Mar 16, 2011
    Yo Halo: I'm really happy for you... Imma let you finish,
    but Super Smash Bros. is simply the best multiplayer video game of ALL TIME.

of ALL TIME!!!
  43. WiliamE.
    Jul 11, 2003
    I think this is a great game for beginners or pro's.
  44. Feb 3, 2013
    Super Smash Bros. is the best Nintendo 64 game out there, hands down! After all these years since 1999, it still stands the test of time and is a great buy! It is fun by yourself as well as with friends. If you ever really want to feel in control of a video game, I would suggest to you Castlevania IV or Super Smash Bros. The controls are solid and easy to pickup. The game is based on someSuper Smash Bros. is the best Nintendo 64 game out there, hands down! After all these years since 1999, it still stands the test of time and is a great buy! It is fun by yourself as well as with friends. If you ever really want to feel in control of a video game, I would suggest to you Castlevania IV or Super Smash Bros. The controls are solid and easy to pickup. The game is based on some wit and a good deal of skill and that is what makes it such a great time. Every match had me on the edge of my seat and what makes it even better is that it is with all my favorite Nintendo characters! Such an original idea that has been attempted again and again by different companies, but never got it quite as right as this gem! There are only a few minor negative things I would have to say about it. First, I dislike how limited the game is both with story and characters/stages. Second, the price tag, while definitely worth it, will usually cost a pretty penny at around $30 due to great demand. Lastly, some of the characters feel very powerful over the others in multiplayer such as DK, Samus, and Kirby; all with moves that take over the other players unfairly. The negative aspects listed are really minor inconveniences in the whole of the game. Overall, I highly suggest this to anyone who likes good games, which is pretty much everyone! Expand
  45. Mar 8, 2013
    In multiplayer mode super smash bros. is a beast. Together with some friends it is a real joy to kick the others out of the screen. The single player however is repetitive. Anyway its a fun game, especially in the multiplayer.
  46. Jun 11, 2014
    Game: Super Smash Bros.
    Genre: Fighting
    Developer: Nintendo/HAL System: Nintendo 64 Total Score: 85/100 Value Score: 8.5/10 • Story: 4/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 9/10 • Graphics: 7/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Play as 8 main Nintendo characters along with 4 additional secret characters +4 player
    Game: Super Smash Bros.

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +Play as 8 main Nintendo characters along with 4 additional secret characters
    +4 player Versus and Team Matches
    +Ability to use Items in fights
    +Ability to change match types (Stock or Timed)
    +Unique gameplay mechanics and styles not seen in any other fighting game at its time and even to this day (other than its sequels)
    +Mini games including Target Practice, Platform jumping and Race to the Finish

Cons
    -Arcade mode can be repetitive since all the fights are linear and pretty much the same.
    -Visuals could of been better for a N64 game
  47. May 24, 2015
    For a Nintendo 64 game and the first in the Smash Bros series, I think this is a great game. The graphics don't look so hot today, but the music is still great and has some maps that I still miss in newer Smash Bros games.
  48. May 22, 2012
    Great game with a great idea: all our favourite characters fighting again each other. Very funny and long game. If you can play with friends is still better.
  49. May 27, 2012
    A true classic. Masterpiece. Revolutionary. This game is one of my favorite games of all time. Such a blast to play with friends. This game will never get old. Some of the greatest moments with friends ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  50. Aug 14, 2012
    Although the single player mode is not particularly good, it is an excellent multiplayer game which will keep you and your friends entertained for hours. The later titles in this franchise have improved and expanded the concept of this game, but the original stands firm as a quality game in its own right, and still plenty of fun after all these years.
  51. Sep 29, 2012
    I don't want to do a pros and cons list this time. I just want to say how good the game is. It's a lot of fun, especially when playing with your friends. There are some slight flaws, but the game quickly rewards you with a fast paced, enjoyable experience that you can share with 3 of your friends.
  52. Feb 2, 2013
    A very enjoyable fighter. The visuals are decent with colorful settings in spite of a somewhat low polygon count and somewhat blurry textures. The game is simple in its control scheme and is pretty fluid in the physics and maneuvering. Single player can get a bit repetitive because of a rather low amount of modes and unlocks, but is still pretty fun to play. The multiplayer is theA very enjoyable fighter. The visuals are decent with colorful settings in spite of a somewhat low polygon count and somewhat blurry textures. The game is simple in its control scheme and is pretty fluid in the physics and maneuvering. Single player can get a bit repetitive because of a rather low amount of modes and unlocks, but is still pretty fun to play. The multiplayer is the strongest part to this game, and offers fun times with your friends while not getting too old. The low-budget music also sounds great, and is pretty catchy, although I do prefer Melee's and Brawl's music over this. Level design is nice and gameplay is fun and addicting. While I do think this game safely earns third place to its two predecessors and is better for those who would rather experience nostalgia, it's still an awesomely fun game. Great addition to your N64 library, or for your Wii Virtual Console. Expand
  53. May 12, 2014
    This was the epicenter of the expansion of modern day fighting games and still considered by some as the best super smash bros game in the series. Nintendo characters always had more charm for me than marvel superhero fighting games. Tekken 3 may be one of the only fighting games that is better.
  54. Jul 3, 2013
    After playing Melee and Brawl especially, the flaws are obvious, but this is still a great game. A new, original idea when it came out. The ultimate crossover between the ultimate video game characters of all time? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
  55. May 16, 2014
    This is one of the greatest games of all time. I still play this game to this day. Ignore the idiots who are bashing it. It's fantastic. Easily a top 5 N64 game along with: Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, and Star Fox 64.
  56. Nov 11, 2013
    Super Smash Bros. One of my most favorite growing up as a kid, I loved this game to death so many memories, & I was extremely hard to beat at any character in my family of gamers. I just wish there was more characters you could play as.
  57. May 26, 2014
    With a lack of charged smashing, this game requires more skill than Brawl or Melee. What i mean is, you can't just stand on the side of the stage waiting for the player to recover back on the stage with a smash waiting for them.
  58. Feb 8, 2014
    Great and fun game . A quite good selection of playable characters and a fun gameplay
    Also a good multiplayer game and you and your friends will enjoy playing it
  59. Mar 12, 2014
    It is an old game so obviously its graphics are not the best but where it misses in that department bringing in the biggest Nintendo characters to dual it out this would be the beginning of a great series of games to come. Agreeably one of the most fun N64 games ever created.
  60. Nov 9, 2014
    This is one of the best games in the Nintendo 64 system!!! And to think that it was planned to be a dragon fighting game with no Nintendo characters...

1. A multi-player hit. Believe me people, you and your friends will spend hours on end battling it out to the very end. Whether it's 2 on 2 or if you think you're a badass 3 on 1.
  2. A highly addictive and satisfying game. Super Smash Bros. is a classic game for the Nintendo 64. If you haven't played it or its successor, and there certainly aren't many of you kinds of people, what are you waiting for? Do it!
  3. Fast paced and accessible to everyone. Nintendo of America were mad to consider not releasing this game in the US. Any doubts about it's quality should be cast out of your mind. It's fun, addictive and it's got a superb multi-player mode.