8.9

1. Feb 3, 2013
    Super Smash Bros. is the best Nintendo 64 game out there, hands down! After all these years since 1999, it still stands the test of time and is a great buy! It is fun by yourself as well as with friends. If you ever really want to feel in control of a video game, I would suggest to you Castlevania IV or Super Smash Bros. The controls are solid and easy to pickup. The game is based on some wit and a good deal of skill and that is what makes it such a great time. Every match had me on the edge of my seat and what makes it even better is that it is with all my favorite Nintendo characters! Such an original idea that has been attempted again and again by different companies, but never got it quite as right as this gem! There are only a few minor negative things I would have to say about it. First, I dislike how limited the game is both with story and characters/stages. Second, the price tag, while definitely worth it, will usually cost a pretty penny at around $30 due to great demand. Lastly, some of the characters feel very powerful over the others in multiplayer such as DK, Samus, and Kirby; all with moves that take over the other players unfairly. The negative aspects listed are really minor inconveniences in the whole of the game. Overall, I highly suggest this to anyone who likes good games, which is pretty much everyone! Expand
  2. Mar 10, 2011
    I own everyone at this game

L canceling, dodging, smashing

Best game ever, other than OoT on the n64 Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
    Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
    Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
  3. Mar 16, 2011
    Yo Halo: I'm really happy for you... Imma let you finish,
    but Super Smash Bros. is simply the best multiplayer video game of ALL TIME.

of ALL TIME!!!
  4. Jun 7, 2011
    This was a revolutionary game in its time. There had never been anything like it before and there honestly isn't a single game out there today that compares to the series despite several attempts to mimic it. It all started with this brilliant title. Electric Playground should be banished from both the gaming community and stripped of any recognition as a reliable game journalism source. You can't even read the original review anymore because you get a 404 error. Honestly a 20? Bias and opinion is completely out of the window here...I've heard more reasonable opinions from ten year olds. Expand
  5. May 27, 2012
    A true classic. Masterpiece. Revolutionary. This game is one of my favorite games of all time. Such a blast to play with friends. This game will never get old. Some of the greatest moments with friends ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. May 12, 2014
    This was the epicenter of the expansion of modern day fighting games and still considered by some as the best super smash bros game in the series. Nintendo characters always had more charm for me than marvel superhero fighting games. Tekken 3 may be one of the only fighting games that is better.
  7. May 16, 2014
    This is one of the greatest games of all time. I still play this game to this day. Ignore the idiots who are bashing it. It's fantastic. Easily a top 5 N64 game along with: Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, and Star Fox 64.
  8. Nov 11, 2013
    Super Smash Bros. One of my most favorite growing up as a kid, I loved this game to death so many memories, & I was extremely hard to beat at any character in my family of gamers. I just wish there was more characters you could play as.
  9. Feb 8, 2014
    Great and fun game . A quite good selection of playable characters and a fun gameplay
    Also a good multiplayer game and you and your friends will enjoy playing it
  10. Mar 8, 2013
    In multiplayer mode super smash bros. is a beast. Together with some friends it is a real joy to kick the others out of the screen. The single player however is repetitive. Anyway its a fun game, especially in the multiplayer.
  11. Dec 9, 2011
    I loved this game, I played it for countless hours. The campaign is a little boring though but it was worth it to unlock the new characters for the game. The multiplayer was where it was at though and it was countless fun to play with friends.
  12. Feb 11, 2012
    Boy, does this game bring back some good memories. It was one of my favorite N64 games to play. my only only complaint about it is the fact that single player mode is the same every time. But, that's, pretty much it for me. Plus, Ness is better in this version than he is in Melee or Brawl.
  13. May 22, 2012
    Great game with a great idea: all our favourite characters fighting again each other. Very funny and long game. If you can play with friends is still better.
  14. Oct 16, 2014
    SSB 64 is the first game that was originality goging to be a dragon. Thank God they changed this to this epic game!And the annoucer screaming SuPER SMASSSSSSSH BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! Is remarkable!
  15. May 26, 2011
    No, this game is not as superior as its sequels, but the quality action and amount of items keep things ship-shape. And who doesn't want to see Yoshi take revenge on Mario for all the times the plumber chucked him off a cliff?
  16. Mar 21, 2012
    Smash Bros can be a blast to play. There are tons of game modes and the fighting gameplay has changed fighting games forever. However, I don't think the series really hits it's peak until its sequel, Super Smash Bros. Melee, was released.
  17. Jun 11, 2014
    Game: Super Smash Bros. Genre: Fighting Developer: Nintendo/HAL System: Nintendo 64 Total Score: 85/100 Value Score: 8.5/10 • Story: 4/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 9/10 • Graphics: 7/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Play as 8 main Nintendo characters along with 4 additional secret characters +4 player Versus and Team Matches
    +Ability to use Items in fights
    +Ability to change match types (Stock or Timed)
    +Unique gameplay mechanics and styles not seen in any other fighting game at its time and even to this day (other than its sequels)
    +Mini games including Target Practice, Platform jumping and Race to the Finish

Cons
    -Arcade mode can be repetitive since all the fights are linear and pretty much the same.
    -Visuals could of been better for a N64 game
  18. Nov 20, 2011
    Super Smash Bros. is a wonderful four-player party game with a low barrier for entry, but plenty of depth to separate players. It's frantic pace makes it easily enjoyable for competitive, reflex-based gameplay that holds up to this day. Unfortunately, the game's single-player experience doesn't entertain nearly as well, being far too short and quite easy.
  19. Aug 14, 2012
    Although the single player mode is not particularly good, it is an excellent multiplayer game which will keep you and your friends entertained for hours. The later titles in this franchise have improved and expanded the concept of this game, but the original stands firm as a quality game in its own right, and still plenty of fun after all these years.
  20. Sep 29, 2012
    I don't want to do a pros and cons list this time. I just want to say how good the game is. It's a lot of fun, especially when playing with your friends. There are some slight flaws, but the game quickly rewards you with a fast paced, enjoyable experience that you can share with 3 of your friends.
  21. Feb 2, 2013
    A very enjoyable fighter. The visuals are decent with colorful settings in spite of a somewhat low polygon count and somewhat blurry textures. The game is simple in its control scheme and is pretty fluid in the physics and maneuvering. Single player can get a bit repetitive because of a rather low amount of modes and unlocks, but is still pretty fun to play. The multiplayer is the strongest part to this game, and offers fun times with your friends while not getting too old. The low-budget music also sounds great, and is pretty catchy, although I do prefer Melee's and Brawl's music over this. Level design is nice and gameplay is fun and addicting. While I do think this game safely earns third place to its two predecessors and is better for those who would rather experience nostalgia, it's still an awesomely fun game. Great addition to your N64 library, or for your Wii Virtual Console. Expand
  22. Jul 3, 2013
    After playing Melee and Brawl especially, the flaws are obvious, but this is still a great game. A new, original idea when it came out. The ultimate crossover between the ultimate video game characters of all time? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
  23. May 26, 2014
    With a lack of charged smashing, this game requires more skill than Brawl or Melee. What i mean is, you can't just stand on the side of the stage waiting for the player to recover back on the stage with a smash waiting for them.
  24. Mar 12, 2014
    It is an old game so obviously its graphics are not the best but where it misses in that department bringing in the biggest Nintendo characters to dual it out this would be the beginning of a great series of games to come. Agreeably one of the most fun N64 games ever created.
  25. Dec 30, 2012
    The single player mode is very flawed, and the sequels would eventually grow to outshine the original, but its one of the best Nintendo 64 experiences out there.
  26. May 3, 2013
    NIntendo's All-Star characters duke it out for the win! Bring your friends to see who is the best in this four player insanity. With the help of items in the mix, use them to gain an advantage against your opponents. Although variety of modes are limited, they are nonetheless going to create long hours of gameplay. Controls are precise and each character have their own move-sets to master. There are a some amount of stages to choose from, at least one from each character (Hyrule Castle from the Legend of Zelda). Each certain accomplishment earns more stages and characters; both have a limited amount to unlock. For those who don't have anyone to play with, they can defeat CPU characters to compensate in multiplayer, but it is not the same as going against human opponents; this can eventually can lead to a dull experience. However, the solo player are able to play single player mode, which is a ladder-style type of game; going against opponents one by one until you reach the final boss. This game is a good game to play on the N64 platform, especially if you have friends to play beside you and against you. Expand
  27. Aug 10, 2013
    This was the first fighting game I ever played and as a first I will say it was really fun. However this game was for the 64 and lets just say that system only had like five games that were longer then twenty hours long. Ocarina of time is one of those games that at the time was really long and needed to be so because of the story. Super Smash Bros. is a beat em' up and that is why I played it, I finally got to fight my brother and no one could stop me. I am really hard on Nintendo because their games were my childhood, I played and still play old 64 and SNES games cause of the simple fact that they are really fun. Smash Bros. is the original fighter for me but it has so many problems. The one problem that makes me kinda annoyed is that the game is way to short. I get that its made for multiplayer but that doesn't make me forget that I had all the characters in less than ten hours. I also hate that it looks so bad, I get that it looks that way because of the lack of graphical technology at the time but it really doesn't hold up. There is no story either but like I said earlier I like that it just as is, the songs were all from there own games which is really awesome and can at times make you switch out games cause lets face it Pokemon stadium a little bit more fun than this game. In the end this is a really great game that has one the best cult followings I have ever seen for a Nintendo game it has been made just as popular as the characters that you play as, this is a must play for all gamers. Expand
  28. Oct 19, 2013
    Super smash bros is a fighting game Which brings nintendo all stars to the fight. 12 characters to choose from and 9 stages The single player gets old but the multiplayer is wher this game shine and this is a party game for you to enjoy with your friends
  29. Nov 3, 2013
    i have to admit this game was innovative
    charismatic characters of nintendo was a good idea
    Super smash bros was a good game,actually,
    but i think it was a something simple
    i mean,nintendo has a lot of franchise and they should put
    more character.however
    STILL BETTER THAN PLAYSTATION ALL STARS BATTLE ROYALS
  30. Nov 11, 2013
    THE GOOD: Fluid combat, start of a fantastic fighting game series. The game is memorable in its own right.

THE BAD: This game simply hasn't aged as well as its sequels on the Gamecube and Wii. It also lacks the large amount of content and game modes of its successors. The character cast is also barebones compared to them.

This classic title can admittedly be fun for a few hours, but
    it overall lives in the shadow of its superior sequels. I guess I could say its worth either borrowing or renting. Expand

1. A multi-player hit. Believe me people, you and your friends will spend hours on end battling it out to the very end. Whether it's 2 on 2 or if you think you're a badass 3 on 1.
  2. A highly addictive and satisfying game. Super Smash Bros. is a classic game for the Nintendo 64. If you haven't played it or its successor, and there certainly aren't many of you kinds of people, what are you waiting for? Do it!
  3. Fast paced and accessible to everyone. Nintendo of America were mad to consider not releasing this game in the US. Any doubts about it's quality should be cast out of your mind. It's fun, addictive and it's got a superb multi-player mode.