6.9

1. Jun 15, 2013
    I am surprised I spent as long as I did on this game, around ten hours, considering how boring and uneventful I found it. I spent the money and there were comments saying it was so amazing, so I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. Also there is something addictive, without actually being fun or interesting, about the putting the coin in the slot.

The whole game is essentially
    repeatedly rolling dice and making making small decisions based on the outcomes. These small decisions add up, and if you choose well, your family's destiny improves as the game progresses. Sadly the amount of time vs the payoff is way out of wack. It takes too long to learn what amounts to general guidelines of how to play, and after you know the guidelines it is just random. And the writing, which is where it needs to stand out if the gameplay is so repetitive, is really boring. It is very family oriented and very dry. If they added more historical detail then this could be a fun educational tool for children. Expand

1. Jun 26, 2013
    In retrospect, I like having this unique story to tell. However, I found little joy in actually playing it. Frustration, irritation, and boredom, sure. But little joy. I might have been better off playing the slots in my local, dilapidated amusement arcade. At least then there would have been a chance I could have won a few quid, and with my winnings, I could just have bought a book.
  2. Jun 20, 2013
    7 Grand Steps is a smart digital board game enriched with strategy elements and some surprises. A strange game, indeed, that brings us trough 7000 years of dynastical challenges.
  3. Jun 10, 2013
    With surprisingly intricate tactical gameplay hidden behind a charming interface and nonchalant storytelling, 7 Grand Steps is one of gaming's greatest metaphors for life. [July 2013, p.73]