7.3

1. Jun 25, 2013
    Incredibly fun and addictive. Build a family over several generations with a gameplay that feels like a sophisticated slot machine. Not a game that you play on the subway or while waiting in line for a movie. This is the kind of game that takes commitment. Definitely worth it.
  2. Aug 21, 2013
    The majority fail to recognize the huge potential of this game. Hopefully the other 6 parts will follow soon. Highly recommend for single players who like unusual games.
  3. Jun 9, 2013
    This game is both simple and addictive. It's really fun to improve a family through ages with differents skills and to see the interaction between pawns. Highly recommend for board-game lovers!
  4. Jul 15, 2013
    Oh boy, if 7 Grand Steps is not your thing, it really isn't your thing. But if any aspect of it tickles you, you will enjoy every moment of it. I was taken in by the simple, almost too simple gameplay, but don't let this game fool you, it's tough to get under your finger. Just as you think you're getting the hang of it, quickly raising families and achieving legends, the game shifts agesOh boy, if 7 Grand Steps is not your thing, it really isn't your thing. But if any aspect of it tickles you, you will enjoy every moment of it. I was taken in by the simple, almost too simple gameplay, but don't let this game fool you, it's tough to get under your finger. Just as you think you're getting the hang of it, quickly raising families and achieving legends, the game shifts ages on you and throws you off. So you shift your strategy to adjust, and once you've got the hang of it again, bam, it introduces a part of the game that's plain absent for the first few hours, at least for me. Good luck taking the appropriate risks at this stage. I ended up backed into a corner, so focused on the new dynamic that emerged, that I didn't realize my resources had slowly been drained away turn by turn. In the next age I discovered just how frustrating it could be to become poor, having little to teach my heirs and often relying solely on the whim of fate. And let me tell you one part of the game that's not forgiving. It's Fate. There is no clever AI here, just simple gameplay that's hard to lose, but hard to win. The constant threat of setbacks just as you're climbing your way out is always present, causing you to think carefully about not only your short term strategy, but longer term how you will bring your family to greatness while surviving the challenges of the ages.

I'm not finished with the game yet, I'm actually not even sure how much there is in it (which is nice in a way). So far it's been an addicting 6-7 hours and there's still more to discover. I might add to this review once I'm done to see if anything changes or if the developers really are as evil as I think they are.
  5. Oct 11, 2014
    The only problem with this game is that it's only ONE of the seven steps... Why release incomplete games? Why not release the entire thing first hand? People doing that sucks.
  6. Aug 21, 2014
    The game has sophisticated, deeply strategic gameplay which has a distinct "just one more turn" feel to it. What excites me the most, however, is the idea behind the game. Leading your family through the ages, it's like Civilization on a family scale. And to think that this game is only the first "Grand Step" in the planned series of seven games, covering only the Ancient history. TheThe game has sophisticated, deeply strategic gameplay which has a distinct "just one more turn" feel to it. What excites me the most, however, is the idea behind the game. Leading your family through the ages, it's like Civilization on a family scale. And to think that this game is only the first "Grand Step" in the planned series of seven games, covering only the Ancient history. The second game would cover Middle ages, and from what I've heard you would be able to transfer your progress from the first game. 7 Grand Steps - a great concept that i'd very much like to see become a reality. Expand

1. Jun 26, 2013
    In retrospect, I like having this unique story to tell. However, I found little joy in actually playing it. Frustration, irritation, and boredom, sure. But little joy. I might have been better off playing the slots in my local, dilapidated amusement arcade. At least then there would have been a chance I could have won a few quid, and with my winnings, I could just have bought a book.
  2. Jun 20, 2013
    7 Grand Steps is a smart digital board game enriched with strategy elements and some surprises. A strange game, indeed, that brings us trough 7000 years of dynastical challenges.
  3. Jun 10, 2013
    With surprisingly intricate tactical gameplay hidden behind a charming interface and nonchalant storytelling, 7 Grand Steps is one of gaming's greatest metaphors for life. [July 2013, p.73]